REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-18-2022, 11:38 AM   #22101
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
Did any of you guys get your property tax forms yet?
Advertisement

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:45 AM   #22102
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
I always chuckle when I read ads for new builds where they say it was built by a "reputable builder" cause that's exactly who didn't build it. If they were reputable they would say who built it (proud to put their name on it) or not say anything at the builder at all (the workmanship speaks for itself).
Wait, BuilderGuy 2020 LLC who is predated by his old company BuilderGuy 2017 LLC aren't reputable builders?

I should add, I see some really shitty contractors in my line of work. There are companies out there that change their names just about every 5 years because they run up so much debt because they suck at bidding and doing work that they just close the doors and reopen under a new name and continue like nothing even happened. Sometimes they even stay in the same office, it's comical really. A lot of the blame goes on the suppliers IMO for propping these guys up, selling to them and then when they go tits up selling to them again.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2022, 12:33 PM   #22103
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly View Post
It's still early, mine show up may 25-28 every year

Would not be surprised if it's even later this year due to staffing shortages

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2022, 12:57 PM   #22104
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Do realtors usually charge you if listing doesn't sell due to high accepting price?

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:46 PM   #22105

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
No. A realtor cannot charge you if the asking price was agreed on when you first sign the contract for X amount of months. A realtor might back out from the contract if you ask them to list the house way higher than market or BC assessment.

If the realtor cannot sell the home within the agreed timeframe, then the contract ends, or the realtor can ask you to renew and amendment the asking price.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:54 PM   #22106
Need to Seek Professional Help

Some realtors will ask you to sign an exclusivity contract... these may be for a period of time or on a house-by-house basis.
Others may also have a clause whereby if they are able to fetch an offer equal to or greater than the asking price but you reject it and ultimately delist your house, you are liable to pay them the commission. I don't think most realtors will do this, but every once in a while you see a story in the news about this.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:01 PM   #22107
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Quote:
Officially no, the calculations have just been completed as of yesterday (in COV anyway). I already looked it up paid and claimed my grant. Mailouts will start shortly.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2022, 02:03 PM   #22108
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Not yet but I checked online yesterday and I saw that my payment was just a smidge under $3900.

PS: I'm in Vancouver so I'm not sure about other munis.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2022, 02:44 PM   #22109
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Your listing contract will state that if a buyer is brought in with an offer that matches your listed price then the commission shall be paid out regardless if you sell or not sell. They met their duty in bringing in an offer. This is a fine print clause the real estate board implements and if a lawsuit ensues the court would be taking the side of the realtor. This would be a case of breach of contract on the seller side as they are not performing their contract obligations. Best way to get out of the situation is let the listing expire and fire the agent but if they did in fact bring an offer that matches your list price the seller is still on the hook for commission payout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Some realtors will ask you to sign an exclusivity contract... these may be for a period of time or on a house-by-house basis.
Others may also have a clause whereby if they are able to fetch an offer equal to or greater than the asking price but you reject it and ultimately delist your house, you are liable to pay them the commission. I don't think most realtors will do this, but every once in a while you see a story in the news about this.
It's not the realtors but in fact the brokerages. Listings aren't owned by the realtor but their brokerage. Realtors are just the representative for the brokerage so when a seller is sued its actually the brokerage who's the plaintiff bringing forth a lawsuit.
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:53 PM   #22110

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Realtor wanted to list $100K below what my accepting offer will be. So I guess I'll look for the clause that asks for commission clawback.

My managing broker said this is unlikely to go into legal battle since of legal costs, time and realtor proving this causes damages. Which will mean I reimburse listing costs.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:05 PM   #22111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Realtor wanted to list $100K below what my accepting offer will be. So I guess I'll look for the clause that asks for commission clawback.

My managing broker said this is unlikely to go into legal battle since of legal costs, time and realtor proving this causes damages. Which will mean I reimburse listing costs.
Sounds about right, you will have to cover the listing fees. But lawsuit would be brokerage discretion. Most realtors will huff and puff and move on
Old 05-18-2022, 03:05 PM   #22112
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post

I posted a unit up a few weeks ago with a realtor, we listed "under" market value to increase number of views / hope multi offers

Like others above have said, if it's listed at X, and you get an offer at X or above and you decline that offer, hoping to get that extra 100k: the realtor can technically can come after you for the full commission

I was in the same scenario, I told my realtor to remove that clause off the contract, he did, then came back and said it's not possible due to the legal side between them and the MLS system (his words, not mine)

So instead, he sent me a letter, signed by himself and his agency, that he will not come after me, should we get an offer at list price, and I choose to decline. (Again, only because we both agreed the unit will sell higher)

Ps, we had 0 offers lol, unit still on market.
Jokes on the both of us.
Unit price listed under all comps, with full Renos within the last 3 years.

Can confirm market has slowed down (entry level condos / Vancouver)

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:18 PM   #22113

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
Yea don't most realtors want you to list under market to attract bids? And obviously they don't want you to sell at asking cuz it means lower commission for them.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:32 PM   #22114

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
And obviously they don't want you to sell at asking cuz it means lower commission for them.
The difference in commission is honestly negligible unless we're talking about multi-million dollar properties. Even a $100k difference between selling prices will barely impact their commission. It's like an extra $1k when they're already earning $15k-17k on a 1million $ sale (shit math, I know, but close enough ballpark to illustrate the point).
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2022, 07:03 PM   #22115

Quote:
The difference in commission is honestly negligible unless we're talking about multi-million dollar properties. Even a $100k difference between selling prices will barely impact their commission. It's like an extra $1k when they're already earning $15k-17k on a 1million $ sale (shit math, I know, but close enough ballpark to illustrate the point).
If you use my calculation based off of 2.5% on remaining balance, $100k difference is $2500 gross still got to split that with other agent. Listing side gets 1.3375% = $1337.50 so you're not far off on your guess
Old 05-18-2022, 07:34 PM   #22116

Thanked 2,752 Times in 700 Posts
Quote:
Considering most realtors don't want to pay $150 for a floor plan, I would say most would knock over a child for that extra $1k in their pocket.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2022, 09:51 PM   #22117
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Does anyone have any recommendation on local interior designers?

Given my limited buget, thinking of getting a smaller 1bd unit (or maybe even studio). But spend a little bit more on the interior to get more "maximum'/'smart' space out of it. As opposed to sending that $ on a bigger sized unit.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:04 PM   #22118

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Does anyone have any recommendation on local interior designers?

Given my limited buget, thinking of getting a smaller 1bd unit (or maybe even studio). But spend a little bit more on the interior to get more "maximum'/'smart' space out of it. As opposed to sending that $ on a bigger sized unit.
Honestly, you don't need an interior designer for a 1bd unit unless you are looking to put in some custom millwork or some special design details and need recommendations. I recommend browsing the hell out of pinterest, finding a style you like, and then maybe spending a few extra $'s on furnishings.
Alternatively, you can also look at 1bd listings for ideas, as many will already be staged.

To add: Here's where I feel like hiring an interior designer for a condo is worthwhile:

****To add: Don't worry too much about the square footage that's printed on a floor plan. Think about how effectively that square footage is being used. A small but good floor plan is far more important than a bad floor plan with an extra 50sqft that's not even usable. Look for rectangular-shaped rooms that are decently sized and placed in a "flow" that makes sense, little to no hallways or corridors, etc..

Last edited by Alpine; 05-18-2022 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:13 PM   #22119

Quote:
Honestly, you don't need an interior designer for a 1bd unit unless you are looking to put in some custom millwork or some special design details and need recommendations. I recommend browsing the hell out of pinterest, finding a style you like, and then maybe spending a few extra $'s on furnishings.
Alternatively, you can also look at 1bd listings for ideas, as many will already be staged.
I'm thinking of these storages under bed kind of thing that's very common in Asia vs just buying your typical MALM bed from Ikea.
https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/1132233...3141/?mt=login
https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/5953900...9430/?mt=login
Old 05-18-2022, 10:29 PM   #22120

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Quote:
I'm thinking of these storages under bed kind of thing that's very common in Asia vs just buying your typical MALM bed from Ikea.
Wonder how much it'll run to build out one of those.
Definitely not as common here, imagine it'd all have to be custom built.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:55 PM   #22121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
Wonder how much it'll run to build out one of those.
Definitely not as common here, imagine it'd all have to be custom built.
That's what I'm curious too. Definitely wont 'be cheap....but if I can only afford a 300-400 sqft shoebox, might as wel make it cozy and feels like home.

Like even if its a studio, something like this would look very nice and welcoming
https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/1055538...5617/?mt=login

Vs what you would typically see in a studio ad:
https://assets-listings.rew.ca/brc_i...ct-8.5.1&w=560
https://assets-listings.rew.ca/brc_i...ct-8.5.1&w=560
Old 05-19-2022, 07:56 AM   #22122

Quote:
That's nice & similar to the type of millwork used in the living room of that condo. You might be able to get by with a good carpenter if you have an idea of the dimensions and what type of shelving/drawers you want. The carpenter should be able to recommend laminate/wood finishes/stains too (ie. colour matched to your floors). If you have a good eye you can probably visualize it (if you're not asking the carpenter to copy an image) instead of paying someone to draw it for you.
If you're on a budget and you spend enough time on the Ikea website you might be able to Ikea hack something similar. Won't be as nice, but it'll save you thousands of $.

Anyways, not trying to dissuade you, just trying to help you save a few $. I know it might be difficult to imagine right now, but who knows. In a few years, you might find yourself upgrading to a larger unit. A lot can change in a short time frame. I made the "mistake" of spending too much on furnishings in my 1 bedroom condo. Upgraded to a larger unit earlier than I thought I would, and then had to buy a bunch of new furniture because nothing fit anymore .
Old 05-19-2022, 09:56 AM   #22123
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

R2642831 is a strange one. 2016 4 level townhouse on Oak, ground floor self contained suite. It was listed Jan 2022 for $1,828,000 then dropped to $1,738,000 and sold a few days ago for $840,000.

I would have put that on my line of credit. It's a court ordered sale but it looks like somebody stole it. Maybe it's like the local tow companies advertising warehouseman seizures/sales way up north so nobody shows.

The other fishy part is the bizarre lending rate. $519K mortgages paying 12.65%. I do see they are under the wife's name. The husband is apparently a teacher and they both drive new cars. Maybe they divorced and he bought her out? But why all the open houses? Anybody know them and the back story?

https://openhousing.ca/2022/05/17/va...u1stsJ3lJmXw_M
Old 05-19-2022, 10:01 AM   #22124
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,457 Times in 5,116 Posts
I've seen people do stuff like this before... or at least TALK about doing stuff like this... transferring assets between family members but not wanting to pay any capital gains. Holding a bullshit selling process to try and satisfy whatever CRA investigation results.

This one probably has something to do with the divorce I would think.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:02 AM   #22125
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Well 840k x2 = $1,680,000. Maybe divorce, open houses to get offers, one divorcee pays out the other for half of the highest offer?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote