REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-04-2022, 11:33 AM   #23126
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
There's pros and cons to both. No one really talks much about the pros of Mom & pop rentals.

I lived in a mom & pop rental for 5 years. It was fantastic for us. We got to know them on a personal level (The husband later became my dentist). They were very flexible, treated us well, and never once raised the rent in those 5 years.

I feel like a professional management firm is going to be very by the book, expect annual increases, and you're just a number to them. Expect no personal connection.
Agreed. I was 3 years in a mom & pop rental and we are still friends with our former landlords.
Advertisement
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:20 PM   #23127
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,545 Times in 5,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waddy41 View Post
Not good that there will be less supply available for actual home buyers

However, would renters feel more safe renting from Blackrock vs. mom/pop landlords?

Blackrock can withstand being cashflow negative and wait for property values to rise. They're not going to play games to try to evict you. They can't have their parents/children "move in" to boot you out

How are Aquilini's, Bosa, etc. as landlords .. ?
I watched a CBC special in Toronto on corporate owned buildings a couple weeks back, it was quite troublesome because the corp would decide to do somewhat minimal or casual upgrades to the building which fulfilled a "renovation" loophole and then they'd up people's rent by an astronomical amount or try to turn the building into a "luxury" building... tenants were having a real hard time because they can't afford legal expertise the corporations can to fight them, etc.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2022, 12:45 PM   #23128
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Our units under renovation are given a 25 - 50% discount. So I see renovations as a plus.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:01 PM   #23129
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,400 Times in 5,672 Posts
New west and Burnaby has a million buildings managed by that same company, they have the signs out front with the logo forget the name

The buildings are disgusting, very poorly maintained
Old 08-04-2022, 01:05 PM   #23130
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,848 Times in 1,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Rent is only increased by the RTB limit.
I mean, increasing by anything beyond the RTB limit would be sort of illegal...
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:06 PM   #23131
Need to Seek Professional Help

I think mom & pop amateur landlords get a bad rap when they are oblivious to tenancy rules & regulations and should NOT be landlords. They also get a bad rap from tenants that follow the rules to a T. Amateur landlords aren't going to know all the rules but there's almost always an opportunity to figure things out together (assuming they aren't the type that shouldn't be landlords).

My mom rented a 2bd basement suite in Vancouver to a lady for 20 years. For the first 15 years, the rent was set at $600 and was never increased. After 15 years, my mom asked to increase the rent to $800 and the lady agreed. If that lady came back and said that my mom could only increase her rent by 1.5% (or whatever the calculator says) my mom would have spent as much $ as needed to evict her.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2022, 01:17 PM   #23132
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,848 Times in 1,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
my mom would have spent as much $ as needed to evict her.
How exactly do you think she would have been able to accomplish this? The old bad faith "owner use" scenario? There are very few other legal reasons you can evict someone.

This is exactly what gives all mom and pop landlords a bad name.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:18 PM   #23133
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I think it all depends on when the mom & pop bought their place.

People who bought 20+ years ago and wanting to rent out their basement suite for some extra income is going to have much different rental expectations than someone who just bought in the past say 7 years and who basically NEED rental income in order to help pay their mortgage payments. Even worse when such person bought a SFH in the last 2 years.

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:18 PM   #23134
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,764 Times in 705 Posts
https://theprovince.com/sports/hocke...2329ded89/amp/

Local Realtor kicks an opponent in the face with his skate.. What a douche. His google reviews are blowing up right now.

Google, "Brandon Gee-Moore"

Reddit thread
https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comm...t_club_on_ice/
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2022, 01:18 PM   #23135
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waddy41 View Post
Blackrock can withstand being cashflow negative and wait for property values to rise. They're not going to play games to try to evict you. They can't have their parents/children "move in" to boot you out

How are Aquilini's, Bosa, etc. as landlords .. ?
From my experience, no games were played because there were far larger projects to focus on. Its the smaller players that tend to pull those stunts. Rent increases, etc were all by the book. However, costs were always kept minimal if it wasn't in violation of any laws/bylaws. Most of the properties were purchased in the 70's so cashflow from rent is just a bonus for ownership at this point.

All attempts were made to keep the most vocal tenants (even if they're scam artists) happy because negative media attention was unwanted as it wasn't good for the development side, hotels, etc.

- Managed the IPP portfolio for one of those well-known families
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2022, 01:25 PM   #23136

Quote:
How exactly do you think she would have been able to accomplish this? The old bad faith "owner use" scenario? There are very few other legal reasons you can evict someone.

This is exactly what gives all mom and pop landlords a bad name.
100% owner use in bad faith to evict and just leave the unit empty.

Charge below market rent for 15 years, then want to increase the tenant's rent to 50% below market rate and get countered with a 1.5%? My mom would be livid and she'd rather take 0 rent than continue to give the tenant a discount on principle alone.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2022, 01:28 PM   #23137
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post

Local Realtor kicks an opponent in the face with his skate.. What a douche. His google reviews are blowing up right now.

Reddit thread
ASHL (Adult Safe Hockey League), how fitting lol
Old 08-04-2022, 01:30 PM   #23138

A buddy of mine is in a similar scenario on Langley. Has rented to the sale woman for like 8-9 years right now, an old retired nurse her family lives nearby. He said he’s about $600 per month below market rate but he has a feeling if he approaches her and says he’s gonna increase rent it’s gonna be a big thing

People should be grateful they had a landlord for that long that didn’t raise it.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:31 PM   #23139

Quote:
I mean, increasing by anything beyond the RTB limit would be sort of illegal...
Mom and Pop's do it all the time. Most tenants don't know RTA laws!

To be fair most people don't know how the world operates.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2022, 01:36 PM   #23140
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
Another thing I was told recently was the amount for the vacancy tax bill for the units that are unsold and when it kicks in (heard 5-6 months after occupancy). I dont care how rich some of these developers are, that bill would suck to pay esp for the unsold 3+ million dollar penthouses
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:37 PM   #23141

Honestly after dealing with strangers when i initially rented my suite, I have zero tolerance for BS or even a hint of it if I was to have to rent it out again. To this point over 6 years we’ve only had 2 different tenants, one was a random who turned out to be amazing him and his wife were from the states we are still friends today. The next was a friend of a friend so there was some accountability.

I’ve never once raised the rent between either group. But when I first posted my BRAND NEW suite for rent on CL I got 5-6 emails basically calling me a peice of shit for charging so much bla bla bla, now I figure I’m about $300 below market value.

I write in quite a few additional addendums into my agreement. I’m also the type of person I think that if you really tried to fuck with me and play this tenancy board BS that sooner or later someone is going to meet you on the way coming home and it’s not gonna be good.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:42 PM   #23142
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,545 Times in 5,148 Posts
It's tough because of the human element... I think a good tenant is worth the discount or less than market value... but then things go on tooooooooooo long and people either don't appreciate it or get entitled.

My dad rented an entire HOUSE to a guy on a farm for $800 a month for 10+ years... ridiculously low rent... and there were stipulations not to use the basement, garage or barn.. but he used all 3 to store stuff... when we sold the property he turned into a total pain in the ass and the relationship got ruined because of it... like dude you basically saved $250k in the last 10 years off market rental price and then act like you're entitled to the place now??? Unbelievable.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2022, 01:55 PM   #23143
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:

Reddit thread
Gets it from his dad Phil Moore. Aka roid rage
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:56 PM   #23144
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,207 Times in 2,420 Posts
Quote:

Reddit thread
This is all over my hockey whatsapp groups.

Its on the province: https://theprovince.com/sports/hocke...ce-of-opponent

a few super popular hockey instagram accounts: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cg1z7...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=

even TMZ: https://amp.tmz.com/2022/08/04/canad...investigating/
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:57 PM   #23145
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,237 Times in 1,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Honestly after dealing with strangers when i initially rented my suite, I have zero tolerance for BS or even a hint of it if I was to have to rent it out again. To this point over 6 years we’ve only had 2 different tenants, one was a random who turned out to be amazing him and his wife were from the states we are still friends today. The next was a friend of a friend so there was some accountability.

I’ve never once raised the rent between either group. But when I first posted my BRAND NEW suite for rent on CL I got 5-6 emails basically calling me a peice of shit for charging so much bla bla bla, now I figure I’m about $300 below market value.

I write in quite a few additional addendums into my agreement. I’m also the type of person I think that if you really tried to fuck with me and play this tenancy board BS that sooner or later someone is going to meet you on the way coming home and it’s not gonna be good.
The same people who have nothing better to do but complain, and instead of bettering themselves they'll just shit on others for their miserable lives that they've reaped themselves?
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2022, 02:18 PM   #23146

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
It's tough because of the human element... I think a good tenant is worth the discount or less than market value... but then things go on tooooooooooo long and people either don't appreciate it or get entitled.

My dad rented an entire HOUSE to a guy on a farm for $800 a month for 10+ years... ridiculously low rent... and there were stipulations not to use the basement, garage or barn.. but he used all 3 to store stuff... when we sold the property he turned into a total pain in the ass and the relationship got ruined because of it... like dude you basically saved $250k in the last 10 years off market rental price and then act like you're entitled to the place now??? Unbelievable.
Yup. It's how some mom & pop landlords get a bad rap. Because if my mom's situation ended poorly this tenant would be telling everyone how my mom was the landlord from hell and wanted to increase her rent by 40% vs. 1.5%, while conveniently leaving out the fact that her rent would still be 50% under market rates after the increase.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:24 PM   #23147
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,533 Times in 4,318 Posts
Being a land lord is tough depending on who you end up with. My parents had a Brazilian girl who came to Vancouver for school. She was awesome. Until one day she stopped coming home and the police show up to our front door telling us she nearly ended getting caught up in a prostitution ring. Needless to say, we were obligated (and heart broken) to tell her parents and she was sent home pretty much the next day. My parents never ended up renting our place ever again.

I think it looks peasant as fuck and to me this is a 3/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 02:54 PM   #23148
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Currently renting out a place to an international student. Since they have no income or credit history in Canada, the parents prepaid a years worth of rent in full.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:07 PM   #23149

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Being a land lord is tough depending on who you end up with. My parents had a Brazilian girl who came to Vancouver for school. She was awesome. Until one day she stopped coming home and the police show up to our front door telling us she nearly ended getting caught up in a prostitution ring. Needless to say, we were obligated (and heart broken) to tell her parents and she was sent home pretty much the next day. My parents never ended up renting our place ever again.
We had the police show up for domestic abuse once. The Cambodian dad was never to be seen again, mom ended up not having enough money and became homeless with the 8 year old kid, rent was like $600 for basement suite

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 08-04-2022, 03:54 PM   #23150

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Currently renting out a place to an international student. Since they have no income or credit history in Canada, the parents prepaid a years worth of rent in full.
interesting, I got a few groups of international students looking to rent my place. I didnt know what to expect, undergrad level SFU students, renting a decently sized house. I was worried they would be having parties and shit. So I ended up going with some older people instead. Maybe I made a mistake... lol

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote