REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:43 PM   #6201
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

whats ur opinion on recently completed high rise condos with no Electric vehicle charging stations. like wtf? just drives me insane
Advertisement
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-12-2016, 11:23 PM   #6202
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
whats ur opinion on recently completed high rise condos with no Electric vehicle charging stations. like wtf? just drives me insane
based on building bylaws for the CoV

Parking stalls - 20% of the parking stalls in every building must include a receptacle for charging cars.
Electrical room - The electrical room must include enough space to install any equipment necessary to provide charging for all residents in the future.

The city probably can boost its rate to maybe 30-40% within this decade, but honestly, the amount of tesla/leaf/volt,etc vehicles are still a margin % in condos.

I see a lot of condos with electric outlets being used for other uses like charging their cordless vacuums and other appliances.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:26 PM   #6203
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
bcedhk,

do you really get the chance to know who your neighbor is when you buy a developed condo either?
Pretty much what Sonick said. When I was looking for my first rental in Richmond, i went to a condo where the elevator had a sign that said "please do not spit in the elevator". Afterwards, the floor i was on had a strong weed and cig smell. So imo, those are some preliminary signs that I personally would look for in a developed condo unit.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:33 PM   #6204
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I was looking to buy an investment unit at a new development in Richmond last year and my realtor told me to stay away. He said the new buildings are rundown and not well kept and now reading the comments in this thread confirm what he told me.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:43 PM   #6205
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
You do know that the install cost for one these outlet is really expensive right. Not to mention the maintanice fees are not cheap. I would rather they add this as an add on. if the unit owner wants to have one install they have to pay more and also pay for their own maintance fees. Some people don't see the need for them (I am one of them why add the cost my unit/starta fee when I am against it). Let those who wants one pay themselves.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-13-2016, 12:37 AM   #6206
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
You do know that the install cost for one these outlet is really expensive right. Not to mention the maintanice fees are not cheap. I would rather they add this as an add on. if the unit owner wants to have one install they have to pay more and also pay for their own maintance fees. Some people don't see the need for them (I am one of them why add the cost my unit/starta fee when I am against it). Let those who wants one pay themselves.
out of interest, who pays for the electricity for an outlet in common space like a garage? would it be from the strata?
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 06:22 AM   #6207
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
out of interest, who pays for the electricity for an outlet in common space like a garage? would it be from the strata?
that's correct.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 06:27 AM   #6208
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
Currently, because the electric car phenomenon is somewhat new relative to the age of most real estate. However, you had better believe that the time is coming where strata owners will be billed for the electricity to charge your car - that free ride is not going to last. There are WAY too many people who don't have electric cars who are vocal about not paying for other peoples' uses.

Mark
Old 05-13-2016, 07:09 AM   #6209
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
You can get a good idea of the people living in the building by looking at things like the cars in the parking garage, condition of the garbage room, condition and cleanliness of the public areas, and reading the strata documents.
While you make a good point, it also demonstrates how useless the strata council is. Most strata's will have some bylaws about leaving garbage on the floor and not using the garbage facilities to dump larger items.
We live up on SFU and at the end of every semester you see vaccums, beds, book case, drawers, and microwaves sitting outside the garbage room.
If the caretaker is on top of things, he will check the camera's and issue a warning to the unit that left the garbage. But now we have a useless caretaker so it's gotten pretty bad.
Same goes with tenants parking in visitor parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
Pretty much what Sonick said. When I was looking for my first rental in Richmond, i went to a condo where the elevator had a sign that said "please do not spit in the elevator". Afterwards, the floor i was on had a strong weed and cig smell. So imo, those are some preliminary signs that I personally would look for in a developed condo unit.
Can't really generalize like that. For one, people come and go, especially in a building that has high rentals.
So who your neighbours are now, doesn't mean it won't change in a few months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #6210
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,166 Times in 2,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
While you make a good point, it also demonstrates how useless the strata council is. Most strata's will have some bylaws about leaving garbage on the floor and not using the garbage facilities to dump larger items.
We live up on SFU and at the end of every semester you see vaccums, beds, book case, drawers, and microwaves sitting outside the garbage room.
If the caretaker is on top of things, he will check the camera's and issue a warning to the unit that left the garbage. But now we have a useless caretaker so it's gotten pretty bad.
Same goes with tenants parking in visitor parking.
Heh, aren't we just agreeing here, that there is an advantage of being able to see the building condition and tenants vs a pre-sale?

Stratas and caretakers can go downhill for already built and pre-sale buildings just the same. You just make the decision on the best information available at the time.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #6211
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,500 Posts
Quote:
no idea why you got failed, they are indeed expensive to supply/install, even if just a receptacle. the station unit themselves are very expensive.

it's not practical to install one for each unit's stall if that's what you're saying, nor is it to install an empty conduit for each stall for future. this isn't even taking in to account the building's electrical service.

if the argument is the electricity is going to be based on pay per use, then you could put a POS on it so that whomever is using it gets charged like they do in commercial areas. but i'm thinking if you go that route you need a station, not a receptacle, and that'll add a lot more in terms of cost. if there isn't already maybe there's a receptacle/POS unit/kit available that'll be a lot cheaper than a stand alone charging station.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #6212
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Really?

Quote:
$31.1-million Point Grey mansion owned by 'student'

It seems like every time you turn around there’s a new eye popping real estate story in Vancouver, and today is no different.

The latest? A $31.1 million dollar Point Grey mansion, allegedly 99% owned by a student, Tian Yu Zhou.

To get some insight on how that could be, and what it could mean we checked in with investigative reporter Kathy Tomlinson who’s been hot on the real estate beat.

Tian’s 14,600 square foot five-bedroom, eight-bathroom mansion at 4833 Belmont Ave certainly seems out of reach of a student.

But Tomlinson says after diving deep into B.C.’s land titles, she’s seen plenty of similar cases where big money properties are registered to students or home makers with little or no income.

She says there’s no ethical or legal issue with a student owning a mansion like this, assuming their parents can pay for it.

But she says the trouble comes when it’s used as a tax dodge.

“The problem comes into play when the property isn’t actually occupied by the student, and when the real owner, the beneficial owner, the parents usually, don’t claim any tax gains because of that. So they’re able to be investors in Canada, and own homes and sell them and have them as investments and not pay capital gains tax.”

On top of that, she says, there’s the issue of such a technique contributing to the city’s empty homes. She says in the course of her investigations she’s seen first hand how many of these properties are vacant.

“I had a list of addresses that were owned by students and I drove around going to those places. And several of them were completely unoccupied. Not furniture and no one home: completely empty. And so that’s where the questions come in of whether these are actual investments by parents or whomever, and that they’re being put in the name of students partially to avoid paying capital gains taxes.”

Tomlinson says the problem is worse than the city’s recent report on empty homes suggests.

She says the survey ignored homes with demolition permits pending, being demolished, or new construction.

She adds it didn’t look at winter months, and that foreign investors typically come for short periods in the summer, potentially making the houses appear occupied.

nice area though...

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 09:42 AM   #6213
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
^
Ridiculous...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #6214
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 10:07 AM   #6215
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
no idea why you got failed, they are indeed expensive to supply/install, even if just a receptacle. the station unit themselves are very expensive.

it's not practical to install one for each unit's stall if that's what you're saying, nor is it to install an empty conduit for each stall for future. this isn't even taking in to account the building's electrical service.

if the argument is the electricity is going to be based on pay per use, then you could put a POS on it so that whomever is using it gets charged like they do in commercial areas. but i'm thinking if you go that route you need a station, not a receptacle, and that'll add a lot more in terms of cost. if there isn't already maybe there's a receptacle/POS unit/kit available that'll be a lot cheaper than a stand alone charging station.
My electrician just quoted installation for charging stations in a business park parking lot and that was about $3-4K per system, not including the cost of the system itself.. So it gets super pricey.

Side note: I learned from a Realtor friend yesterday about finding renters. He mostly posts his ads in Korean or Japanese newspapers. In most cases he looks for 1-2 year students, but apparently they are very well kept and take care of the place and actually clean up when their term is done.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000

Last edited by Dragon-88; 05-13-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Dragon-88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #6216
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,500 Posts
cheap stations (the "system") cost that much plus install...average one will run you double.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #6217
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

My condo has 2 EV charge stations for anyone that wants to plug in, they just have to log into the station and will get charged according to how many hours they stay plugged in. Currently, I think this is probably the best and most economical method.
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:38 AM   #6218
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
I think you re confused. It really doesnt cost as much to install a home wall charger as you think. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YJFHFZ0
I use this one, just your standard 30a j1772 level 2 charger. My total charging bill is less than $10 dollars per month according to my chargepoint app. That's all I pay to charge my electric vehicle per month, not to mention I can free load at places like malls and city halls.

To drive out there to my new condo, ideally i'd like to plug my ev as I go and inspect the unit but to my dismay they dont have any. My other condo has 5 charging stations but not this newer one. why
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #6219
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,284 Times in 2,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
Side note: I learned from a Realtor friend yesterday about finding renters. He mostly posts his ads in Korean or Japanese newspapers. In most cases he looks for 1-2 year students, but apparently they are very well kept and take care of the place and actually clean up when their term is done.
Having witnessed international students of different varieties, I refuse to believe that students from certain ethnic groups are tidier than others (but there are definitely certain groups that are worse than average). In particular, I've seen some very messy rooms from Japanese / Korean female students in my younger, wilder days.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:23 AM   #6220

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Really?
why not the money is from the parents anyways. Is nothing new.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:23 AM   #6221
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Having witnessed international students of different varieties, I refuse to believe that students from certain ethnic groups are tidier than others (but there are definitely certain groups that are worse than average). In particular, I've seen some very messy rooms from Japanese / Korean female students in my younger, wilder days.
I can confirm that Japanese and Korean students are much cleaner than say.. Taiwanese and Hong Kong students. This comes from my family having home-stay students for about, 15 years.

Granted, the worst were the students from Switzerland and Austria Messy white people
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #6222

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
I can confirm that Japanese and Korean students are much cleaner than say.. Taiwanese and Hong Kong students. This comes from my family having home-stay students for about, 15 years.

Granted, the worst were the students from Switzerland and Austria Messy white people
Lol you haven't seen International students from China yet. They can/will destroy your place if you don't check it every month.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #6223
Need my Daily Fix of RS

When I was condo hunting in Toronto, I couldn't even count the number of units in brand new buildings that were being rented out to mainlanders and were completely trashed.
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:43 PM   #6224
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
why not the money is from the parents anyways. Is nothing new.
It may not be new to your ancient society of corrupt dirtbags, but the last time I checked this was still North America where most business was done in an ethical manner.

So yeah, it is new. Which is why it's on the front page of every news outlet right now.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-13-2016, 12:47 PM   #6225
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,128 Times in 7,143 Posts
Lol business in North America is done in the most unethical manor in the world. Other countries are just joining the party.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote