REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:44 PM   #12776
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,430 Times in 5,688 Posts
Fair enough.

The more direct comparison I don’t really get is buying a Vancouver duplex for 1.2-1.4 when you’re right in the detached zone at that point.

Dem contractor grade stainless steel appliances doe
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #12777
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Yea. 900k for a townhome is just nuts to me. I'd be moving to okanagan with nabatron at that point lol
Acurapinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2018, 04:08 PM   #12778
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
i know its not pennies were talking about but why would you buy a townhome in port moody for 900 when you could buy a detached with a suite in Burnaby for 1.2 to 1.4

like that is a lot of money in difference, but if you're getting 1500+ a month for a suite its a no brainer.. i guess qualifying for the difference is the hard part and taking on the greater burden of debt..

a detached property with mortgage helper as opposed to a strata townhome.. hard to beat
Other than financial issue it could also be the with the age of the house/townhome. Upper 800k + townhome in Port Moody is pretty new )built in 2016 and more recently) while a detached in Burnaby going for 1.2 to 1.4m is going to be 20+ years at least. Some people like newer place and with older homes you bet there is going to be things you need to replace/fix.

Is the same reason why people are willing to pay more for pre sale apartments or apartments within 5 years. Just less stuff to get fix.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #12779

Outside of wanting “new” that makes almost zero sense strictly talking age of construction. And also investment and financially

I’d argue depending on the builder a 20/30/40 year old home is likely constructed better than a 2 year old townhouse in most cases. (See: overlapping bedrooms into neighboring units, fire stopping, “shared” attic spaces, etc etc )

Also the “upkeep” and maintenance required in a 20+ year old home, just replace that sentence with strata fee’s in a townhome. The only difference is you have to figure out the maintenance on your own as opposed to paying into a pool to pay overpriced trades to do shotty work

Paying 900k for a townhome and then paying 300+ a month into a strata, you might as well find that extra 200k, or move like Nabatron because fuck, you’re just flushing that money down the drain and paying for the bad owners upkeep essentially.

Pay 900k to raise a family in a townhouse where the renter next door has a home theatre with two 12” subs and smokes weed non stop, suhweeeeetttt...

Not saying Port Moody is all that way lol nor is it orovably like that where Tapioca etc live by the sound of it. But that can be the reality real quick in townhome developments
Old 08-19-2018, 05:19 PM   #12780
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,826 Times in 3,906 Posts
home gurus,

got inspection report back from a home from the 1890s in another market

https://imgur.com/a/45u8qJu

how much am I looking in terms of cost to fix? the contractor situation there is very dire...it took 9mos for reno's at my family's home

it'll be a rental and the layout and location is superb but maybe I should just run for the hills?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:49 PM   #12781
Old School RS

Thanked 3,971 Times in 1,209 Posts
"In another market..."

How can we possibly answer a question of how much your repairs will cost without knowing where they are? Rates for contractors in North Carolina are very different than Vancouver.

It's just my opinion, but owning a house from the 1890s as a rental property seems a poor decision for being able to figure out with certainty what your future cash flows will be - the upkeep and maintenance on such an old house is certainly a question mark.

-Mark
Old 08-19-2018, 05:50 PM   #12782
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
home gurus,

how much am I looking in terms of cost to fix? the contractor situation there is very dire...it took 9mos for reno's at my family's home

it'll be a rental and the layout and location is superb but maybe I should just run for the hills?
1890s?!! unless you are getting a considerable deal. from the report there, looks like some significant structural issues from a lifted foundation. I am no builder/engineer, but if i saw that, i'd expect the seller to give me a significant deduction (at least half of the total costs).

also, that era is knob and tube electrical, dont know what market it is but you'd have some issues getting it insured.

if it were me? if seller doesnt deduct, i would move on...
DA9ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #12783
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,328 Times in 2,525 Posts
Quote:
home gurus,

I'd buy it at as a tear down (and then proceed to tear the existing building down and rebuild). But that also means you gotta have the $$$ to build a new home, which could be anywhere between $600k - $1M+ if it was in Vancouver.

Failing that, I'd just run.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:13 PM   #12784
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
Quote:
i know its not pennies were talking about but why would you buy a townhome in port moody for 900 when you could buy a detached with a suite in Burnaby for 1.2 to 1.4

like that is a lot of money in difference, but if you're getting 1500+ a month for a suite its a no brainer.. i guess qualifying for the difference is the hard part and taking on the greater burden of debt..

a detached property with mortgage helper as opposed to a strata townhome.. hard to beat
The wife and I did exactly that last year when we were searching.

900K townhome in Richmond or 1.2-1.3 new house in queensborough with a mortgage helper.

Don't regret the decision one bit, I hate having to deal with strata

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #12785
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,826 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
How can we possibly answer a question of how much your repairs will cost without knowing where they are? Rates for contractors in North Carolina are very different than Vancouver.
whatcom county

there are some listings with homes that still have knob & tube but not this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA9ve View Post
1890s?!! unless you are getting a considerable deal. from the report there, looks like some significant structural issues from a lifted foundation. I am no builder/engineer, but if i saw that, i'd expect the seller to give me a significant deduction (at least half of the total costs).

also, that era is knob and tube electrical, dont know what market it is but you'd have some issues getting it insured.

if it were me? if seller doesnt deduct, i would move on...
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #12786
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:

I agree with everything you've said. However, 1.4 million gets you an asbestos laden home in East Burnaby. A 900K townhouse in Port Moody gets you access to the waterfront, Brewers Row, Skytrain, a modern layout with high ceilings, and a neighbourhood that is primarily white and upper middle class.

Three words matter when it comes to real estate: location, location, location.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-19-2018, 06:59 PM   #12787
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I looked at a house on Saturday that has had 3 accepted offers and all fell apart due to financing............

Don't people know what they can spend before they start looking?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #12788
G
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I looked at a house on Saturday that has had 3 accepted offers and all fell apart due to financing............

I know right? My deal fell through cause the buyer couldn't get financing... But wouldn't you think they would know before they offer? smh
G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:33 PM   #12789
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

My brother paid just over 1mil for his townhouse. I think it’s on heritage mountain. Close to the elementary and secondary school for his kids
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:07 PM   #12790

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
I know right? My deal fell through cause the buyer couldn't get financing... But wouldn't you think they would know before they offer? smh
The banks probably had someone assess the house before approving the financing and maybe it came back lower thanthan what they offered OR the buyers just flat out backed out of the deal (they might've found something else) and said they couldnt get financing.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:11 PM   #12791

Quote:
home gurus,

Those structural issues are major it seems.

An old house can be completely sound if the structure is untouched or has been worked on properly. A lot of those posts and whatnot in the attic could be big $$$

Then there’s the asbestos etc.

Our house was built in 1911 and we’ve probably sunk about 100k into it just replacing the knob and tube, building a suite, and doing our bathroom. The rest is as it has been for the last 40 years or so still. And that’s with myself probably putting in an additional 25-40k of sweat equity alone.

An electrician and I replaced the top two floors of knob and tube and added a bunch of lights and plugs etc. we did it without permits so time and money is saved there. However, with only him and I it still took about a month and cost about 15k

Old houses, shit adds up quick
Old 08-19-2018, 08:44 PM   #12792
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acurapinoy View Post
The banks probably had someone assess the house before approving the financing and maybe it came back lower thanthan what they offered OR the buyers just flat out backed out of the deal (they might've found something else) and said they couldnt get financing.

Could be the case buyer didn't even try to get a mortgage or they have a ball part idea how much they can borrow but not the exact figure. Of as Acurapinoy said some people put the financing subject just in case they find something else better or they want to read over the minutes and if they find something they don't like they can back out or use it for bargin power.

When I put in my subject I put finanicaling as well but I don't need it. When the buyer came back with and decline I could easily remove the financial subject what makes them feel much better is accepting my offer vs others who needs financing.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:49 PM   #12793

Quote:

Was just browsing at Realtor.ca and found this -- asking $1.4M in Vancouver, with a BC assessment value of $1.369M, and there is a basement suite as well:

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...olumbia-V5R3H6

https://www.bcassessment.ca/Property...AwMDAwMzhXRA==

Seems like a pretty solid deal if the financing can be done, and 41st & Clarendon is not a shady area by any stretch at all. From what (little) that I know, it seems to be a solidly middle class area as well?

In today's climate, you can probably close with an offer a touch below the BC assessment price? Port Moody (or many places in the Tri-Cities) is nice, but why wouldn't I want a detached like this over a $1M townhouse in Port Moody / Tri-Cities?
Old 08-19-2018, 10:05 PM   #12794
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Was just browsing at Realtor.ca and found this -- asking $1.4M in Vancouver, with a BC assessment value of $1.369M, and there is a basement suite as well:

Seems like a pretty solid deal if the financing can be done, and 41st & Clarendon is not a shady area by any stretch at all. From what (little) that I know, it seems to be a solidly middle class area as well?

In today's climate, you can probably close with an offer a touch below the BC assessment price? Port Moody (or many places in the Tri-Cities) is nice, but why wouldn't I want a detached like this over a $1M townhouse in Port Moody / Tri-Cities?
A few reasons using your example,

- it’s an extra $400k
- It’s super dated while my brothers place is modern, like new
- proximity to work
- promixity to schools
- it’s quiet
- he doesn’t want a tenant

I think he overpaid for his townhome, but he needed a place for his growing family and wanted to stay in Port Moody / Coquitlam. The more I visit him, the more I realize how much better of a city it is to raise a family compared to Vancouver
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2018, 10:21 PM   #12795
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr4l View Post
A few reasons using your example,

- it’s an extra $400k
- It’s super dated while my brothers place is modern, like new
- proximity to work
- promixity to schools
- it’s quiet
- he doesn’t want a tenant

I think he overpaid for his townhome, but he needed a place for his growing family and wanted to stay in Port Moody / Coquitlam. The more I visit him, the more I realize how much better of a city it is to raise a family compared to Vancouver
I imagine that he bought something like this?

https://www.rew.ca/properties/R22711...roperty_search

It's a lot to stomach for a strata townhouse, but my in-laws purchased an end unit in this complex and you can't beat the sunsets or the views. For comparison, a house across the street from this unit on Sycamore Drive is nearly $1.6 million: https://www.rew.ca/properties/R22843...roperty_search

Like I said earlier, the median household income for families with children in Heritage Woods is 160K. When you have a family, there are reasons why people would choose to live in a community such as this one.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:47 PM   #12796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

Damn. Even at below asking...id be scared to take that property on. I'd probably have to settle somewhere in Surrey or the fraser valley somewhere and take a hit of being outside Vancouver especially at 1.4 haha
Old 08-20-2018, 07:21 AM   #12797
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acurapinoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Could be the case buyer didn't even try to get a mortgage or they have a ball part idea how much they can borrow but not the exact figure. Of as Acurapinoy said some people put the financing subject just in case they find something else better or they want to read over the minutes and if they find something they don't like they can back out or use it for bargin power.

When I put in my subject I put finanicaling as well but I don't need it. When the buyer came back with and decline I could easily remove the financial subject what makes them feel much better is accepting my offer vs others who needs financing.
It could be either of those for sure, or maybe it has to do with the changes to the lending making it harder to qualify.

This is the house, it's def been renovated but look at difference between the Provincial assessed value and asking price I realize assessed value isn't the whole picture.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...olumbia-V3S7J8

https://www.bcassessment.ca/Property...AwMDA3OFBKQQ==

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #12798

Damn... Looks like a really nice place. I wonder how much those accepted offers are...

It also makes me wonder why the heck am I staying in Vancouver...
Quote:
This is the house, it's def been renovated but look at difference between the Provincial assessed value and asking price I realize assessed value isn't the whole picture.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...olumbia-V3S7J8

https://www.bcassessment.ca/Property...AwMDA3OFBKQQ==
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #12799
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,403 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I agree with everything you've said. However, 1.4 million gets you an asbestos laden home in East Burnaby. A 900K townhouse in Port Moody gets you access to the waterfront, Brewers Row, Skytrain, a modern layout with high ceilings, and a neighbourhood that is primarily white and upper middle class.

Three words matter when it comes to real estate: location, location, location.
Laying on the sales sauce a little thick don't ya think? Seems like every post from you lately is plugging the neighbourhood you bought in.

I dunno, maybe some people value diversity in their community, or think Port Moody is snoozeville? To each their own I guess.

p.s. I can't be the only one that thinks most craft beer is overpriced hipster swill.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #12800
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,072 Times in 1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Laying on the sales sauce a little thick don't ya think? Seems like every post from you lately is plugging the neighbourhood you bought in.

I dunno, maybe some people value diversity in their community, or think Port Moody is snoozeville? To each their own I guess.

p.s. I can't be the only one that thinks most craft beer is overpriced hipster swill.
you snooze you lose, lots of young people moving there

I'd say Vancouver is turning into snoozeville.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote