REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #12626
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
I did some basic calculations a while back when rates where in the mid 2% range. Even at such a low rate, you'll end up paying about double what you borrowed over 25 years.

Borrow $600k for a condo, the place needs to be 1.2 million by the time you pay it off to break even. Even at 1.2 million, I haven't taken into account 25 years of inflation, upkeep costs, property taxes, etc.

I'd rather have higher rates and lower prices. It's a hell of a lot easier to pay back $300k at 8-10% than $600k at 3%.
2.44% on a 25 year amortization puts you on pace for total interest paid over 25 years to be 1/3rd of the borrowed amount only (ie: $450k mortgage, $150K in interest paid over 25 years).

Per your example $300k at 8% put you on pace to pay $386k in interest over 25 years AM, more than the principal borrowed.
$600k at 3% puts you on pace to pay $251k over 25 years AM. So double the loan amount and $135k LESS interest. The monthly payments on the $600k loan would only be about 25% higher than the $300k loan at higher rates.

If someone bought a place with a $600k mortgage 5 years ago in Vancouver it's very likely worth over $1.2 million now at just the end of their first 5 year term.
Advertisement

Last edited by franko; 08-05-2018 at 11:10 AM.
franko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #12627
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Like I said, it was very basic calculations I did back then. None of it really matters unless you're going to sell. And if you did sell, you're going to have to rent or move away to come out on top. Downsizing really isn't at the top of the list for most recent buyers.

If you want to make it complicated, throw inflation into the mix. We don't know what future inflation is going to look like but we have historical data. $100 worth of goods in 1993 costs a little more than $150 today. The money you get from selling your home after 25 years is worth about 2/3 of the value.

Last edited by !LittleDragon; 08-05-2018 at 04:13 PM.
!LittleDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-05-2018, 04:00 PM   #12628
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acurapinoy View Post
But do we really expect the prices to drop back down to 300k? What if the prices are at 500ish but with 10% rate
Not really, I was referring to the amount borrowed, not the cost... I don't expect a massive drop. However, I wouldn't put into the realm of impossible. Many places plunged 70% 10 years ago where the locals thought it would never happen. At least they recovered. Japan never recovered from their huge drop. Prices there went up 3x-4x in a few years and crashed. Property there costs the same there now as it did in the mid 90's. It does happen.

Last edited by !LittleDragon; 08-05-2018 at 06:53 PM.
!LittleDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #12629
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
You know thats not how interest works right?
10% interest on a 500k loan is like 700k INTEREST over 25 years.
but you can hedge that it may go lower over the next 25 years versus going higher for sure

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:17 AM   #12630
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
Hopefully the people who made money flipping WCCP paid taxes because the CRA announced last week they're probing WCCP, Trump Tower and the Tempo project in Richmond. This is another reason the presale market will cool down.
CRA should mandate all developers to submit buy/sell/assignment records.
Kinda like how employer send your T4 records to government so you can't hide your T4 income. (Or T5018 for those familiar with construction industry)

I know a few people been flipping condos over the years without paying taxes.
1 guy actually got audited and ends up owing $50K+ in back tax.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #12631
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,755 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
CRA should mandate all developers to submit buy/sell/assignment records.
Kinda like how employer send your T4 records to government so you can't hide your T4 income. (Or T5018 for those familiar with construction industry)

I know a few people been flipping condos over the years without paying taxes.
1 guy actually got audited and ends up owing $50K+ in back tax.
Wouldn't those large deposits get flagged by the banking system?

How can you sell a house ie. for $500k, that money deposited into your account and then withdrawn to buy another place, then sell it, etc...

Wouldn't those deposit/withdrawals be flagged? Surely, they would get flagged.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #12632
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Wouldn't those large deposits get flagged by the banking system?

How can you sell a house ie. for $500k, that money deposited into your account and then withdrawn to buy another place, then sell it, etc...

Wouldn't those deposit/withdrawals be flagged? Surely, they would get flagged.
I doubt it
There are thousands of housing transaction every day.
Vast majority of it are people buying & selling their principle residence so there is no tax implication.

i'd think most condo assignment would be considered investment, so you need to pay tax on gain like you do when buying & selling stocks
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2018, 04:12 PM   #12633
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
When I was at the bank, no one got flagged as far as I knew. Seemed like it's easy to get away with tax evasion. At worse you're charged with a 100% penalty. Which is probably a positive EV play for those avoiding payment. We also never hear any stories about people evading small amounts like <$100k.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:39 AM   #12634
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
I doubt it
There are thousands of housing transaction every day.
Vast majority of it are people buying & selling their principle residence so there is no tax implication.

i'd think most condo assignment would be considered investment, so you need to pay tax on gain like you do when buying & selling stocks
Or simply start a shell company and purchase the property under the company. Then sell the company. I wonder how the tax would work in that case.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:05 AM   #12635
G
Banned (BBM)

Sad day, my buyer couldn't get financing so they couldn't remove subjects
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:21 AM   #12636
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Wouldn't the buyer get a preapproval mortgage first before actually starting making offer (serious buyer anyways). That way they know their price range?
Old 08-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #12637
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,309 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
You still get to keep their deposit, don't you? At least that's a consolation prize...

But really, I find it quite surprising that people don't get approved on financing when they put an offer in. Don't they already have financing lined up and pre-approved when the offer is made? The bank can of course still turn the financing request down, but that usually signals either:

1) the bank thinks the property isn't worth the transaction price / mortgaged amount
2) the buyers are using financing as their "excuse" to walk out on the deal
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #12638

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
You still get to keep their deposit, don't you? At least that's a consolation prize...

l
You don't keep the deposit because for the subject removal usually the buyer have 7 days to remove subject or doesn't want the place. If they don't want your place within that timeframe is fine. However if the subject is remove and they decided they don't want the place then you can keep their deposit and sue them for any revenue lost (say they offer 800k but didn't go through and you are only able to sell the place for 700k you can sue them for the 100k lose).
Old 08-08-2018, 04:09 PM   #12639
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
As mentioned above, the contract is not firm and binding until all the subjects have been removed so the Seller cannot keep the deposit in this case.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:28 PM   #12640

Damn... that kind of sucks for the seller... So basically I can just go around to make a high offer, subject to financing, to bait the seller into accepting my high bid. String him around for a week or 2, and then claim I can't secure financing and walk out unscathed?

In a regular market, I might as well team up with 1 or 2 partners and use this to block out other potential high bidders, ruin the seller's listing by making it stale, and then swoop in with a lowball offer to seal the deal myself! There is like no protection of any kind for the seller!
Old 08-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #12641
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
You can get approved for a mortgage based on the equity you have in your current place. Before this craziness, subject to sale was commonplace.

I just offered 5% over asking on a place and told the selling agent that we'd be pricing our current place immediately and aggressively, to give confidence that we'd close. In the end the seller took a cleaner offer at asking price.

I'm seriously considering selling and renting for a bit. Everything points to a slow fall/winter and I want to be liquid for a strong offer.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:09 PM   #12642
#savethemanuals

Quote:
Damn... that kind of sucks for the seller... So basically I can just go around to make a high offer, subject to financing, to bait the seller into accepting my high bid. String him around for a week or 2, and then claim I can't secure financing and walk out unscathed?

In a regular market, I might as well team up with 1 or 2 partners and use this to block out other potential high bidders, ruin the seller's listing by making it stale, and then swoop in with a lowball offer to seal the deal myself! There is like no protection of any kind for the seller!
You can do that but if the Seller thinks you're messing around they won't accept your offer if it has that subject. These things are usually done in good faith.

I used to see a lot of subject free deals but now more and more offers contain subjects.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:58 PM   #12643

Quote:

Well the seller can still show his place around and do open house he just can't accept any other offers for x days if he accepted yours. That's why there is this bank and forth negotiation. If the seller don't like your offer he can deny it and accept offers from others. That's why when the market is hot a lot of sellers would look for offers with no financial clause (don't need to get approve for mortgage) or some even have no subject at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
You can get approved for a mortgage based on the equity you have in your current place. Before this craziness, subject to sale was commonplace.

I just offered 5% over asking on a place and told the selling agent that we'd be pricing our current place immediately and aggressively, to give confidence that we'd close. In the end the seller took a cleaner offer at asking price.

I'm seriously considering selling and renting for a bit. Everything points to a slow fall/winter and I want to be liquid for a strong offer.
Good idea! when I sold my place I already have plans to live with my parents and put my stuff in storage for a bit till I find a reasonable price place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
You can do that but if the Seller thinks you're messing around they won't accept your offer if it has that subject. These things are usually done in good faith.

I used to see a lot of subject free deals but now more and more offers contain subjects.
I think when I submit my first offer I have all kids of subjects (IE financial even though I don't need a mortgage). When negotiation started I remove most of the ones I don't really care/need so my offer seems better and it seems like I am interested in my place and want to negotiate for a better price I guess.

The person who purchase my place only need financial. But I guess given the place is only one year there isn't much need for a inspection or anything. I also have all my strata docs, minutes, new home owner warrantly etc etc so it was pretty easy to give the buyer all the info he needs.

Last edited by Mr.HappySilp; 08-08-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:53 PM   #12644

Quote:

Having no subjects on the offer is in itself a major attraction. There is zero uncertainty -- when the seller accepts, the deal is done. He won't run into the situation that G has just found himself in. When there is market uncertainty -- and IMO, the current market is exactly that -- the seller won't have to worry about any of the what ifs. If I were selling right now, I'd take the no subjects offer over a 5% higher offer that is subject to financing as well.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:10 PM   #12645
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,186 Times in 239 Posts
this is what saving for Vancouver housing market feels like:

is350 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2018, 11:33 PM   #12646
G
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Having no subjects on the offer is in itself a major attraction. There is zero uncertainty -- when the seller accepts, the deal is done. He won't run into the situation that G has just found himself in. When there is market uncertainty -- and IMO, the current market is exactly that -- the seller won't have to worry about any of the what ifs. If I were selling right now, I'd take the no subjects offer over a 5% higher offer that is subject to financing as well.

I wished I had a no subject offer. This was the only offer I got so we just tried it. We definitely thought they would be able to get financing so we are kinda surprised.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:58 AM   #12647
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
List on Tuesday, sell on Monday, days are over. If things were the the same, I'd have no problem buying before listing or getting a bridge.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:04 AM   #12648
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by is350 View Post
this is what saving for Vancouver housing market feels like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2lv...ature=youtu.be
That is fucking hilarious. Sad, but funny as hell.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:46 AM   #12649
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
List on Tuesday, sell on Monday, days are over. If things were the the same, I'd have no problem buying before listing or getting a bridge.
I'm in the same boat, I've been looking for a while and the market has softened for sure. Do I sell first and then hope I find something or do I offer with subject to sale? If I sell first I can make a much cleaner offer with only inspection subjects but then I risk being forced to settle for something if I can't find what I'm looking for.

Decisions, decisions.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:54 AM   #12650
#savethemanuals

How long do you think it will take you to sell?

If you are already negotiating the sale of your home then in your offer for your new home it might make sense to put a subject to the sale of the current home but say that the subject must be satisfied or waived within a certain period of time (but make it a shorter period so the seller will accept like a week or so if that's how long you expect before you reach a deal for your current home).