REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #14176
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Advertisement

Last edited by zyzzjr; 11-10-2020 at 12:46 PM.
zyzzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:02 PM   #14177
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,317 Times in 2,519 Posts
I'd say that once you've accepted an offer, you should contact a lawyer / notary, and they will assist and advise you on how to follow through. Your realtor will take the deposit on your behalf. For the seller, esp, it is really just a walk in the park. The pros will take care of all the details.

The only tricky bit is if you are upgrading, and you already have another purchase lined up to take place very soon after the closing of your sale. When I sold my old apartment, this Burnaby law firm that shall remain nameless literally dropped the ball on their end, and almost wasn't able to get the paperwork done in time to close the purchase. We had our new place lined up for closing, and the purchase was obviously contingent on getting the money from the apartment sale. It would have been *very ugly* if our sale got delay, and it was super stressful for both myself and my notary just dealing with people's incompetency when they were supposed to be professionals in doing this.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2019, 07:38 AM   #14178
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,855 Times in 1,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStyo View Post
That's fully refunded if deal collapse.
That's completely false.

Once subjects are cleared, as mentioned by JDMDreams the offer now becomes a firm purchase contract, deposit is usually due 24 hours from that time.

If the buyer pulls out of the deal after that point, it's a breach of contract and the seller keeps the deposit (at a minimum), and could also pursue further litigation to any recoup losses (IE: If now they had to sell the house for far less to someone else, they could sue the other buyer who breached for that loss)
Here's a couple recent cases in BC where that happened:
https://www.pazderlaw.com/walking-aw...yer-360340-35/
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2019, 07:44 AM   #14179
I don't get it

Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #14180
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I have been following the prices of 2 bedroom 800 square foot condos at the 3 towers at the New West Skytrain station at 888, 892, and 898 Carnarvon. These condos are about 10 years old and about 1 year ago they were selling at about $740 to $750 per square foot and in the past few weeks there have been 3 that have sold in the $650 to $680 per square foot range so prices are down about 10% in the past year.

I might be interested in a 2 bedroom unit if the price of the 2 bedroom units go down to $600 per square foot. The large 2 bedroom units at 1,100 to 1,200 square feet seem to be currently selling at $550 to $600 per square foot.

I use this website for sales price information. You can select the units that sold anywhere from the last 7 days to 365 days. https://www.zealty.ca/map.html
spacemanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:43 AM   #14181
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I'd say that once you've accepted an offer, you should contact a lawyer / notary, and they will assist and advise you on how to follow through. Your realtor will take the deposit on your behalf. For the seller, esp, it is really just a walk in the park. The pros will take care of all the details.

The only tricky bit is if you are upgrading, and you already have another purchase lined up to take place very soon after the closing of your sale. When I sold my old apartment, this Burnaby law firm that shall remain nameless literally dropped the ball on their end, and almost wasn't able to get the paperwork done in time to close the purchase. We had our new place lined up for closing, and the purchase was obviously contingent on getting the money from the apartment sale. It would have been *very ugly* if our sale got delay, and it was super stressful for both myself and my notary just dealing with people's incompetency when they were supposed to be professionals in doing this.
I though you could get a bridge mortgage for these type of situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanrick View Post
I have been following the prices of 2 bedroom 800 square foot condos at the 3 towers at the New West Skytrain station at 888, 892, and 898 Carnarvon. These condos are about 10 years old and about 1 year ago they were selling at about $740 to $750 per square foot and in the past few weeks there have been 3 that have sold in the $650 to $680 per square foot range so prices are down about 10% in the past year.

I might be interested in a 2 bedroom unit if the price of the 2 bedroom units go down to $600 per square foot. The large 2 bedroom units at 1,100 to 1,200 square feet seem to be currently selling at $550 to $600 per square foot.

I use this website for sales price information. You can select the units that sold anywhere from the last 7 days to 365 days. https://www.zealty.ca/map.html
Get the bigger place if you can (or course the layout have to be good too). New apartments are getting smaller and smaller where literally you see 600sq ft 2 bedroom apartment out there. When I compare mine 805 to my parents 1100sq ft their apartments seems a lot bigger and is much much more suite for a young couple with a kid. If it is just two people then I would say 800sq ft is fine but but a kid I don't think it will cut it when the kid grows older.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2019, 09:28 AM   #14182
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
edit: misread something
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #14183
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
That's completely false.

Once subjects are cleared, as mentioned by JDMDreams the offer now becomes a firm purchase contract, deposit is usually due 24 hours from that time.

If the buyer pulls out of the deal after that point, it's a breach of contract and the seller keeps the deposit (at a minimum), and could also pursue further litigation to any recoup losses (IE: If now they had to sell the house for far less to someone else, they could sue the other buyer who breached for that loss)

I think JDMstyo was referring the deposit is refundable as long as subjects aren’t removed yet as it’s only held in trust. But if the buyer does remove the subjects and then changes their mind then goodluck to them hahahah
Acurapinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #14184
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
That's completely false.

Second this. Unless both parties sign a mutual agreement to release the deposit and an additional clause to not pursue future litigation with regards to the subject property, the buyer will lose the deposit.

You'll typically see this during a market downturn.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:53 AM   #14185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acurapinoy View Post
I think JDMstyo was referring the deposit is refundable as long as subjects aren’t removed yet as it’s only held in trust. But if the buyer does remove the subjects and then changes their mind then goodluck to them hahahah
Yeah but deposits are usually (unless otherwise stated by contract) due after subject removal. Why would anyone put down a deposit earlier than that?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 05-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #14186
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Yeah but deposits are usually (unless otherwise stated by contract) due after subject removal. Why would anyone put down a deposit earlier than that?
It’s probably used to strengthen the offer or make it look strong and tie up the property (during the subject time period)
Acurapinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:34 PM   #14187
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanrick View Post

I spoke with my realtor the other day about this. The gap between the different housing types (condo, townhouse, duplex, single family house, etc) is historically small. Single family houses have dropped ~20-30% from a year ago while condos have dropped ~10% during the same time frame. His agency also expects condo price drops to eventually hit ~20-30%, assuming single family houses remain at the current levels.

The luxury market pulled housing prices up and condos were the last type to be hit by price increases on the way up. Expect the same to happen as prices come down.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2019, 07:47 PM   #14188
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

From what I have been seeing I think the 20% or more price drops for single family homes have been in the $2,000,000 and up price range. In the $1,000,000 to $1,500,000 price range where I live in Port Coquitlam the prices are down about 10% from their peak.

I am interested in 2 bedroom unit at one of the Carnarvon towers at the New West skytrain station as a rental and possibly to live in one day and as your realtor expects I expect a further price drop from the current 10% price drop. There have been 2 two bedroom 800 square foot condos that sold for $533,000 in the past few weeks. These units currently rent for about $2,000 per month and I think could be a good buy in the $450,000 to $480,000 price range. These units originally sold in 2009 for $400,000.
spacemanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:33 PM   #14189
Need to Seek Professional Help

Yup... preice drops woth luxury homes first on the "west side" but they will move east (and to "lessor housing types") like a wave...
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:21 AM   #14190
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,614 Times in 5,177 Posts
Congrats NDP, you made everyone in the market lose 10%+ off their investment to appease a bunch of numpty protesters that couldn't afford a 1 bedroom even if prices fell 75%

(I'm not even a NDP hater, but it was so obviously too late to try and correct anything at this point now you're just pissing everyone off)
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-03-2019, 08:59 AM   #14191

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Congrats NDP, you made everyone in the market lose 10%+ off their investment to appease a bunch of numpty protesters that couldn't afford a 1 bedroom even if prices fell 75%

(I'm not even a NDP hater, but it was so obviously too late to try and correct anything at this point now you're just pissing everyone off)
I'm an NDP hater I think generally speaking we give Govt. to much credit when things are good and blame them to much when things are bad. The market had to cool down at some point regardless who's in power.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2019, 09:48 AM   #14192
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,614 Times in 5,177 Posts
I don't think it would have cooled down if they hadn't put all the speculation and empty home taxes in, but I'm as much of a fortune teller as anyone else is lol
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #14193

Thanked 31,198 Times in 7,171 Posts
Quote:

If you live in your home, you don’t lose a penny.
If you bought before the market exploded you lost 10% on your 40% gain.
The only people who are really going to suffer from this is speculators, people with multiple properties, etc. No one who lives in a single home “loses” money when the market slumps. If you sell your home to move into the same market you actually can upgrade for cheaper
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2019, 10:01 AM   #14194
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
people bitch when market was too hot, people bitch when market has cooled a little

#vancouver

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2019, 10:08 AM   #14195

Seriously. My place is still nearly double what I paid for it 3.5 years ago. I didn’t earn shit, so why would I feel entitled to that pretend money that’s stuck inside my walls?
People younger than me deserve a chance to live here too.
I pay my mortgage, I sleep in my bed, I drink scotch on my patio. If my place is worth 80k or 800k nothing changes in my daily life.
I get people are selling their homes to retire, but they are sitting on like 1000% returns so it’s not like they are fucked either, and if they are, they retired on the premise of winning a lottery essentially.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #14196

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Seriously. My place is still nearly double what I paid for it 3.5 years ago. I didn’t earn shit, so why would I feel entitled to that pretend money that’s stuck inside my walls?
I pay my mortgage, I sleep in my bed, I drink scotch on my patio. If my place is worth 80k or 800k nothing changes in my daily life.
I get people are selling their homes to retire, but they are sitting on like 1000% returns so it’s not like they are fucked either, and if they are, they retired on the premise of winning a lottery essentially.
It's not totally "pretend" money that's stuck inside your walls, that equity is accessible.

Not saying I totally disagree with the theme of your comments here, but playing gains off as completely meaningless is a bit understated.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 05-03-2019, 10:21 AM   #14197
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I'm an NDP hater I think generally speaking we give Govt. to much credit when things are good and blame them to much when things are bad. The market had to cool down at some point regardless who's in power.
Quote:
If you live in your home, you don’t lose a penny.
If you bought before the market exploded you lost 10% on your 40% gain.
The only people who are really going to suffer from this is speculators, people with multiple properties, etc. No one who lives in a single home “loses” money when the market slumps. If you sell your home to move into the same market you actually can upgrade for cheaper
But the question is how much the market should drop before people are satisfy? 40%60%OR 80%drop? Will the people who bitch and complain will actually jump into the market or they are just bitching for the shake of bitching?

The way I see it the gov have put itself in a tough/bad spot. They didn't cool the market enough for the people who bitch to be satisfy but they also piss of current home owners who are looking to sell or the baby boomers using their home as HELOC. They should either tank the housing market (down 50% at least) or do nothing at all.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #14198

Quote:
You actually earn it coz pay more property tax coz the house value went up. Now the market is down will property tax decrease as well? It should be we know it won't happen.

Is about getting more credit available to you when you need it.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #14199

Quote:
It's not totally "pretend" money that's stuck inside your walls, that equity is accessible.

Not saying I totally disagree with the theme of your comments here, but playing gains off as completely meaningless is a bit understated.
Home equity is definitely not meaningless. It is also not something people should be entitled to. People want to play this “home investment” market but can’t understand that investments aren’t just up for all of eternity. Investing is calculated gambling. It’s pretty embarrassing to see the temper tantrums people have for not getting free money for just buying something before someone else did.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #14200
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,254 Times in 1,228 Posts
Remember when home owners were calling other people whiners because they couldn't afford a house and they should just work harder?

Now they are whining because their house isn't still skyrocketing in price, and all their "hard earned" equity is starting to drop a bit. Here's some advice, if you need something that your lost equity would have gotten you then WORK HARDER.

Hypocrites man.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote