REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #16676
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,579 Times in 1,722 Posts
I can't even imagine thinking about having a kid while still renting.

I'm 35, and my gf is 32, and we're currently renting. I'm not fully on the side of having a child, but I've told her my priority right now is purchasing a place, I wouldn't even consider having a child without at the minimum owning somewhere. Full stop.
Advertisement
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 11:31 AM   #16677

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
^^^ this, and even ppl who own a place that I know of, more than 60% don't have kids
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #16678
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,004 Times in 1,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I don't know how my son is ever going to move out let alone buy a place, he'll just have to wait I guess until Mom and Dad kick it and he can have ours.
This. I suspect there are many kicking the bucket in the greying Vancouver West area so their children are in line for a yuge inheritance. But mostly, it is generational wealth passed on. Nice to be born with a silver spoon ... it's called winning the genetic lottery.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #16679
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
This. I suspect there are many kicking the bucket in the greying Vancouver West area so their children are in line for a yuge inheritance. But mostly, it is generational wealth passed on. Nice to be born with a silver spoon ... it's called winning the genetic lottery.
Yeah, I was having a conversation with my boss the other day his dad passed away last month his mom is still around but she isn't exactly young. He's like my parents always owned 2 or 3 houses when I was growing up, obviously a little more difficult now a days. He has a pretty nice house been in the market a long time but what I took from the conversation he's basically just waiting on his mom to kick it so he can retire.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 12:05 PM   #16680
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
How? And what Fafine said.
Garage is 27 ft deep. Both Civic and CRX is parked in the back with the 600RR in the middle.
Leaf and Rav4 parked in the front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #16681
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,347 Times in 5,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Yeah, I was having a conversation with my boss the other day his dad passed away last month his mom is still around but she isn't exactly young. He's like my parents always owned 2 or 3 houses when I was growing up, obviously a little more difficult now a days. He has a pretty nice house been in the market a long time but what I took from the conversation he's basically just waiting on his mom to kick it so he can retire.
Back in the day a mechanic and a receptionist could potentially afford a couple houses. You see this a lot in east Van/north Burnaby etc in European families. People were smart and made some moves

Now a days you get two doctors and they can’t afford to live in Port Moody
Old 11-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #16682

^^ doctor's will eventually be able to once they hit like 50 and pay off that $600k in medical school debt
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 12:43 PM   #16683
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,347 Times in 5,651 Posts
Problem is many of them don’t live within their means and carry insane debt. Speaking on a purely anecdotal basis a buddy of mine is pretty high up at RBC DS, he said the amount of liquidity some of these ultra high earners have is next to zero after factoring in huge mortgages, dual BMW leases, country club membership, etc.

Not to say they can’t buy the house, but it’s just a fairly tenuous situation in a lot of cases
Old 11-12-2020, 01:08 PM   #16684
Need to Seek Professional Help

and how much $$ do they have at RBC DS?

they're probably churning lots of cash but they likely have a large nest egg in their "corporation" there

i know of a surgeon dr who came out of schooling in debt with ~$500k and driving a beat down Civic who then cleared it out and had millions on the side in about 5-10 years..they're not even in the 40s yet
Sw0op is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 01:20 PM   #16685
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
30? My friends are barely married yet. And all the ones with kids are accidents

Ppl can barely afford to buy a place at 30 how can you afford kids. Unless you live that parents basement life. Or rent forever
Now I'm curious how much do your friends make and if they just want to stay home and not move out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I can't even imagine thinking about having a kid while still renting.

I'm 35, and my gf is 32, and we're currently renting. I'm not fully on the side of having a child, but I've told her my priority right now is purchasing a place, I wouldn't even consider having a child without at the minimum owning somewhere. Full stop.
Our new next door neighbours have two kids, they just moved in last week. They were renting before this.

Maybe I'm of a similar mindset as you, but having kids while renting seems a little insane.

Quote:
^^^ this, and even ppl who own a place that I know of, more than 60% don't have kids
A lot of my friends are in this boat. They have a place but don't have kids.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #16686
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,233 Posts
You know, I used to think the whole argument that you shouldn't have kids because the world was going to shit was a tad hyperbolic.

Then 2020 happened and housing still went up.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 01:37 PM   #16687
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
I think what stresses me out the most is that people around my age think that housing will be affordable once they finally make $70,000 - 100,000 a year. They have no savings plan on how they'll save their $100k-150k downpayment. They also think they'll be moving into a 600 - 700sqft brand new 1br condo in Downtown Vancouver, Burnaby, or Richmond with that type of income.

Not sure if it's the general population that is delusional and uneducated on the affordability or just people I've talked to when it comes to how much house they can actually afford. The nail in the coffin is when they realize they can't afford it and the bank of mom and dad just drops the $300k down payment so they can qualify.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 01:56 PM   #16688

^ dat Type R or Model 3 is important, how else will they find a wife
Old 11-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #16689

Quote:
^ dat Type R or Model 3 is important, how else will they find a wife
I prefer leasing a BMW 320i for $600/month to flex on a budget

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 03:30 PM   #16690
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

any recommendations on realtors? DM me

Also, anyone have experiences using friends as realtors? I've been advised against using friends as sometimes it complicates the relationship (depending on how good friends you guys are)

then again I'm thinking, if I'm going to pay someone why not support a friend, just weighing the pros and cons
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #16691
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4k4v4li View Post

Also, anyone have experiences using friends as realtors? I've been advised against using friends as sometimes it complicates the relationship (depending on how good friends you guys are)

then again I'm thinking, if I'm going to pay someone why not support a friend, just weighing the pros and cons
I've gone through my friend on 3 occasions, and all 3 times I made it clear of expectations regarding commission negotiations on my end as a buyer and seller. He's happy my business always goes to him, and I'm happy because I save a few thousand each transaction.

I've brought up my concerns during times I needed to, and don't shy away from tough conversations with him. However, I wouldn't hire a friend if I knew I couldn't be direct with them.
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #16692
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
tons of people have kids renting
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 04:43 PM   #16693

Yes but would you like to live knowing you can be kicked out with a few months notice or have your rent increased every year?
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-12-2020, 04:48 PM   #16694
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,533 Times in 1,520 Posts
Quote:

I used my friends (both of them) for my most recent purchase. My other friend didn't use her friend for fear of negotiating power and souring the friendship. However, that was not the case for me. My friends/re ealtors knew exactly what I wanted and they were willing to play the petty game (because I'm pretty petty) when it comes to deficiencies.

Edit: to add on to this, it was much easier with transparency and disclosure of information. Plus we used a mutual friend as the mortgage broker who helped us significantly. I'd go as far to say, that if I used anyone else, I doubt I would have gotten the mortgage.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:59 PM   #16695

Quote:
Yes but would you like to live knowing you can be kicked out with a few months notice or have your rent increased every year?
That's life?

That's how most kids grew up in East Van. Lived in basements with rental increases + kicked out at any notice.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 05:05 PM   #16696

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
That's life?

That's how most kids grew up in East Van. Lived in basements with rental increases + kicked out at any notice.
In BC, there is a limit on how much the landlord can raise the rent. IIRC it is 2% annually. The BC gov just announced a freeze on rent hikes for this year.

Also, it's not that easy to kick a person out now if they are a good tenant. Basically, if caught, the LL has to pay the tenant 12 months worth of rent.

Things have changed a lot since we were kids.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 05:10 PM   #16697
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
In BC, there is a limit on how much the landlord can raise the rent. IIRC it is 2% annually. The BC gov just announced a freeze on rent hikes for this year.

Also, it's not that easy to kick a person out now if they are a good tenant. Basically, if caught, the LL has to pay the tenant 12 months worth of rent.

Things have changed a lot since we were kids.
That 2% rent increase was great when I was renting. Started renting my place in 2003 for $350/month, was paying $504/month when I left last year. New tenant is paying $1200/month

Really easy to save a lot of money for a house when your rent is that low.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:14 PM   #16698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
That 2% rent increase was great when I was renting. Started renting my place in 2003 for $350/month, was paying $504/month when I left last year. New tenant is paying $1200/month

Really easy to save a lot of money for a house when your rent is that low.
The LL was lucky to have you as a tenant.
Others would have kept the place and sublet for $1200.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-12-2020, 08:37 PM   #16699
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Having kids while renting makes more sense than having pets while renting. Finding a new place is much easier with the former than the latter.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #16700
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
I prefer leasing a BMW 320i for $600/month to flex on a budget
You doing it wrong if you are paying 600/m for a 320i LOL

Quote:
I think what stresses me out the most is that people around my age think that housing will be affordable once they finally make $70,000 - 100,000 a year. They have no savings plan on how they'll save their $100k-150k downpayment. They also think they'll be moving into a 600 - 700sqft brand new 1br condo in Downtown Vancouver, Burnaby, or Richmond with that type of income.

Not sure if it's the general population that is delusional and uneducated on the affordability or just people I've talked to when it comes to how much house they can actually afford. The nail in the coffin is when they realize they can't afford it and the bank of mom and dad just drops the $300k down payment so they can qualify.
There are people who are 30 who think like that. 70k a year as a single dude really isn't much if you need to pay for all living costs on your own and you want a fancy car.

It only works if BoMD has that much money to give you. Most parents I know don't have 300k just kick around like that unless they sold their house.

Quote:

Pretty much what others have said, it needs to be someone you can lay out the ground rules on and can't fudge things through.

A friend of mine went through a mutual friend as a realtor. This mutual realtor friend wasn't clear on things and at the end of the day, I think it hurt their friendship as both sides felt like they got shortchanged.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: