REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-13-2022, 02:03 PM   #21001
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,234 Times in 2,429 Posts
Anybody have experience with lawn mowers? Needing one for our new place and not sure where to start.

Was reading about Honda engines mowers with metal base, but for environmental sake am considering electric mowers.

Redflagdeals has a Greenworks 80v mower and trimmer combo for $630 with price match, anybody have experience with this brand?

Decent reviews on Amazon and YouTube.
Advertisement
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 02:31 PM   #21002
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,970 Times in 3,898 Posts
I'd go electric just for convenience. Running out of gas halfway through the yard is a PITA.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 04:48 PM   #21003
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,760 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Anybody have experience with lawn mowers? Needing one for our new place and not sure where to start.

Was reading about Honda engines mowers with metal base, but for environmental sake am considering electric mowers.

Redflagdeals has a Greenworks 80v mower and trimmer combo for $630 with price match, anybody have experience with this brand?

Decent reviews on Amazon and YouTube.
I got an Ego lawnmower a few years back. Never an issue and highly recommended. I've gone on and got many other tools from them (snowblower, hedge trimmer... etc) and they have all been excellent.

I'd suggest to take a look at Ego's offering. They are more expensive... yes, but they are worth every penny of the difference.
Old 03-13-2022, 04:55 PM   #21004
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I got an Ego lawnmower a few years back. Never an issue and highly recommended. I've gone on and got many other tools from them (snowblower, hedge trimmer... etc) and they have all been excellent.

I'd suggest to take a look at Ego's offering. They are more expensive... yes, but they are worth every penny of the difference.

Also have ego lawn mower, weed whacker and hedge trimmer they've been good. Pricey initial investment but quality is there.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 07:35 PM   #21005
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

If you can cut your grass on a single charge I would go electric, otherwise get a honda powered gas mower. It doesn't have to be an actual honda, just as long as the engine is. Or another quality engine, I have a honda, and a kohler that are both bulletproof. I'll even feed them all my stale gas, can't kill them.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:45 PM   #21006
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I have a 10k foot lot and cut front and back on one charge and that imcludes using the self propel a ton because most my yard is hilly.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 09:33 PM   #21007
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,322 Times in 2,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZZ View Post
If you can cut your grass on a single charge I would go electric, otherwise get a honda powered gas mower. It doesn't have to be an actual honda, just as long as the engine is. Or another quality engine, I have a honda, and a kohler that are both bulletproof. I'll even feed them all my stale gas, can't kill them.
Even if you can't do it on a single charge, all you need are 2 batteries. Start with both full charged. Then if one is out of juice part way through, you swap in the other one, and throw the dead one back on the charger, and then you just keep swapping as needed.

Just like your typical 18V tool ecosystem, I'd also look into the whole 40V system to see what other tools are supported by the company / battery type to get the most out of the system.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2022, 08:29 AM   #21008

Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,130 Posts
Electric mowers are less noisy too - I don't have to wear ear protection when using mine.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 12:03 PM   #21009
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

running my honda mower for 12+ years and changed the oil twice lol

fill it up, spray some starter fluid in it sometimes and she burrs right along

time for a new blade though. what you guys using?
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 12:30 PM   #21010
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Just like your typical 18V tool ecosystem, I'd also look into the whole 40V system to see what other tools are supported by the company / battery type to get the most out of the system.
Yup, I have a bunch of Rigid stuff that uses the 4a batteries. Trying to convince the wife to go with the Rigid leaf blower that uses the same battery but the reviews aren't the best and she wants some Worx leaf blower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 12:41 PM   #21011
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,380 Times in 479 Posts
i got the 18v ryobi system going and works pretty well with the mower and trimmer. have 2 batteries and usually only use one battery to get through it it. Standard vancouver special lot.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 01:01 PM   #21012
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,835 Times in 2,515 Posts
i did not know ryobi had an 18v battery mower, how powerful is it?
the leaf blower i have is pretty weak i can't imagine the mower would have enough gusto to do a decent job.

the 18v weed wacker though does quite well.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 01:57 PM   #21013
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,189 Times in 970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
i did not know ryobi had an 18v battery mower, how powerful is it?
the leaf blower i have is pretty weak i can't imagine the mower would have enough gusto to do a decent job.

the 18v weed wacker though does quite well.
They have two models actually, a 13" and a 16" wide version. This is the 16": https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryo...ger/1001587357

It's shown up on a couple reviews as a top choice for small yards. I have a lawn that should be about 20-30 mins to do and I'm considering the 16" one as I'm already on the 18V system.

Which 18v leaf blower do you have? I want to get one to dry the car but have the shitty 100CFM one from them (it came as part of a kit).
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2022, 04:03 PM   #21014

Heading to Calgary later this week for some business.

Want to check out some real estate while I'm there. Anyone with insight of Calgary (either current/previous resident) care to share? Like what'd be a comparable area to say Van West (established, $$$), DTES (better to just avoid) and/or some areas of Surrey (suburbs that are growing)
Old 03-14-2022, 04:43 PM   #21015
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,752 Times in 909 Posts
^^ I would like to know also
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 04:50 PM   #21016
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,835 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Which 18v leaf blower do you have? I want to get one to dry the car but have the shitty 100CFM one from them (it came as part of a kit).
mine is probably the weakest one on the line, it came free as a combo pack to my weed wacker. i know the stand alone blower is bigger and i assume performs much better.

my problem is i wanted a blower that sucked as well to pick up pine needles, but the 18v doesn't have that in their lineup (at least not that i know of)

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 05:52 PM   #21017
I STILL don't get it

This might be useful lol

https://hoodmaps.com/calgary-neighborhood-map
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2022, 08:09 PM   #21018
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,664 Times in 5,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Heading to Calgary later this week for some business.

Want to check out some real estate while I'm there. Anyone with insight of Calgary (either current/previous resident) care to share? Like what'd be a comparable area to say Van West (established, $$$), DTES (better to just avoid) and/or some areas of Surrey (suburbs that are growing)
My friends run an insurance agency there and are very well off and own multiple properties/condos it's a hot market right now the wife was just telling me the other day she picked up a condo 2 months ago and it's already up $60k... they're in the north west in Tuscany Valley/Bear Creek area...

I can probably hook you up with her contact info she loves talking about that kind of stuff.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2022, 08:37 PM   #21019

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
My friends run an insurance agency there and are very well off and own multiple properties/condos it's a hot market right now the wife was just telling me the other day she picked up a condo 2 months ago and it's already up $60k... they're in the north west in Tuscany Valley/Bear Creek area...

I can probably hook you up with her contact info she loves talking about that kind of stuff.
Awesome! Shooting you a PM.

I'm not looking to buy anytime soon. It's just my habit of getting to know the market wherever I go, especially when I have time to kill (I have a day and a half between the 2 meetings). And getting insights from locals is always better than just looking it randomly by myself.
Old 03-15-2022, 03:54 AM   #21020
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

This is a neat looking strata project: https://www.zealty.ca/mls-R2659276/5...-Vancouver-BC/

Would've been nice to see what the interior looks like, but good to see some housing diversity being added.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:42 AM   #21021

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsncars View Post
This is a neat looking strata project: https://www.zealty.ca/mls-R2659276/5...-Vancouver-BC/

Would've been nice to see what the interior looks like, but good to see some housing diversity being added.
Here's a 3 bedroom unit from that same development: https://www.rew.ca/properties/388548...rty_click=map#

Looks nicely laid out and thoughtfully finished - that laundry closet will make some people (women in particular) swoon, rare to see that kind of storage/layout in a place that small.

Price seems reasonable for this market.
Old 03-15-2022, 06:15 AM   #21022
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,058 Times in 1,930 Posts
Anybody looked into a 'Passive' house? Friend just mentioned this concept, described it as energy efficient, maybe LEED standard for homes? The Tesla of homes.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:14 AM   #21023

Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,130 Posts
Quote:
Here's a 3 bedroom unit from that same development: https://www.rew.ca/properties/388548...rty_click=map#

Looks nicely laid out and thoughtfully finished - that laundry closet will make some people (women in particular) swoon, rare to see that kind of storage/layout in a place that small.

It pretty much has all of the features that a millennial ish household would want, but I can also see people nitpicking various things because it's basically a 1100 sqft condo over 3 floors. I can see many new mothers not wanting kids' bedrooms on a separate floor, for example. I'm actually seeing more and more new apartment units with side by side laundry closets, so it's not as premium of a feature as it once was. Premium to me is a laundry set with a separate sink.

But ground oriented housing is where it's at, especially for dog owners and households with young kids.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:25 AM   #21024

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Anybody looked into a 'Passive' house? Friend just mentioned this concept, described it as energy efficient, maybe LEED standard for homes? The Tesla of homes.
I wouldn't call it the Tesla of homes since passive houses are usually well made....

I talked to the folks at Lanefab who do passive/low energy homes and to a friend of mine who had a passive house made. They cost a bit more to build (5-10% more assuming you're comparing a like to like quality builder) and are quieter homes due to how thick the walls have to be and are super energy efficient. Design styles can be more limiting as building for passive standards usually require a square box style home for the most part. My friend really likes his passive house - they compromised a bit with a vented dryer (hole in the wall) and I think they couldn't use gas inside the house - but otherwise it's worked out great for them.

It's very rare to find one for sale on the market - usually they are custom builds.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2022, 07:47 AM   #21025
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:

Maybe it's just me, what is up with these new builds having the dryer/washer not on the ground floor? Dryer/washers that shit breaks down easily these days, imagine having to lug that down to the ground floor if needing replacement.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote