REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-31-2023, 06:55 AM   #25451
in the butt

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,180 Posts
Anyone remember the towers going up in Port Moody 10 years ago, and they had to shut down one of the main roads for a few days, due to the entire "pit" causing the road to slide inwards
Advertisement

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 07:10 AM   #25452
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Engineers aren't infalliable, and the checks and balances that should happen can be missed.

We have a good example of a rental building in Langford (Danbrook one) that was constructed in 2018/19.

Apparently the structural engineer was not correctly certified, and the structural design of the building was massively deficient and dangerous to the point that the city of langford pulled the occupancy permit just a few months after the building reached full occupancy. Everyone had to leave.

They only just finished fixing the deficiencies and started re-occupying last year.

https://www.capitaldaily.ca/news/sho...ook-one-design
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2023, 08:37 AM   #25453
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplex123 View Post
Who would you say are one of the better developers in town? Doesn't even have to be great, but just less shitty than the rest of the pack lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it's generally already known, and I haven't worked with ALL of them.

That said, the really shitty ones will go as far as to set up "Project Management Services" paper companies to oversee the construction. They're essentially paper companies with like 3 employees, and the fact that they're owned in whole or in part by the developer is often not publicly available.

This distances the developer from potential lawsuits, and gives the illusion that there's no conflicts of interest when awarding scopes.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2023, 09:41 AM   #25454
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,553 Times in 1,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Engineers aren't infalliable, and the checks and balances that should happen can be missed.

We have a good example of a rental building in Langford (Danbrook one) that was constructed in 2018/19.

Apparently the structural engineer was not correctly certified, and the structural design of the building was massively deficient and dangerous to the point that the city of langford pulled the occupancy permit just a few months after the building reached full occupancy. Everyone had to leave.

They only just finished fixing the deficiencies and started re-occupying last year.

That building is right near that House of Boateng restaurant, right? Wicked food.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:07 AM   #25455
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Quote:

That article is one of the best pieces of journalism I've read in a long, long time lol.

It also just confirms what I said.

Developer fast tracking designs, which are allegedly stolen/plagiarized without making critical changes, to BEFORE they got the geotechnical report.

Construction starting before IFC (issued for construction) drawings are stamped, and then the structure having differences with the as-built drawings.

Selling company's 'Director' is also the head of the prime contractor. But surely there's no conflict there, right?

That said, the city of Langford should have caught many of these. They do hold some responsibility in this case.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:12 AM   #25456
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
Quote:

This Plett guy potentially saved a catastrophic incident from happening down the road. It suggests the original engineering company copied Plett's design and he looked into it and found a bunch of issues.

Quote:
Before Centurion bought Danbrook One in late August 2019, a structural engineer named Leon Plett, who was not associated with the project, became concerned about the structural integrity of the high-rise.

Plett alleged in court that he believed the designs were copied from drawings his firm made for another building in Victoria, but weren’t “properly adapted” to meet the safety requirements of the new building.

Plett was told by one of Sorensen’s partners that they were “confident that the building design met the building code requirements,” had obtained a third-party review, and peer-reviewed it internally, according to civil court documents. Notably, Sorensen declined to provide Plett with further proof to back up their claims. That’s when Plett launched a formal complaint with the EGBC. Plett declined to comment, as he’s currently involved in EGBC’s current investigation into Danbrook One.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:26 AM   #25457
mc.
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
I think it's generally already known, and I haven't worked with ALL of them.

That said, the really shitty ones will go as far as to set up "Project Management Services" paper companies to oversee the construction. They're essentially paper companies with like 3 employees, and the fact that they're owned in whole or in part by the developer is often not publicly available.

This distances the developer from potential lawsuits, and gives the illusion that there's no conflicts of interest when awarding scopes.
For those of us not in the industry, generally who are the good developers and who are the ones to avoid?
mc. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2023, 11:10 AM   #25458
in the butt

You can't just put developers into a "good" and "bad" category

A developer consists of dozens of subtrades, and on each job, it's rarely the same subtrades

Then from each subtrade, there's a different crew of workers at each company, and it comes down to how much the foreman of each trade, cares about the quality of install

Furthermore, it trickles down to what parts are installed in each building, from faucets to lights, could be made by some 8 year old kid in china on a factory line, or a reputable company with senior staff assembling the parts in Bangladesh

In my opinion it's literally hit and miss with how a building is going to "hold up" after completion

All it takes, is one tower to have a "burst pipe" and suddenly the developer is "worst in town" no fault to their own, after completing 60 other projects with "no issues"

Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2023, 11:47 AM   #25459

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Pretty much what donk said.

But the better ones do have a more consistent and preferred team of consultants, contractors etc that they use, (I'm thinking of the Bosas & Jawls).
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 01:11 PM   #25460

Thanked 31,132 Times in 7,145 Posts
There's definitely variations of how many issues builders have. Onni and westbank have turmoil following them from building to building. It doesn't mean everything they build is shit, but there's a reason you hear them mentioned more than others.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2023, 01:16 PM   #25461
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,419 Times in 917 Posts
I'd look more on a building to building case.

On other news my strata from my unit went from $284 > $434 over the last 2 years on 710 sq ft. Effective tomorrow, it'll be $484 a 9% increase. But we have a fat $900K contingency for 200 units.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 01:23 PM   #25462
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,383 Times in 5,083 Posts
That's disgusting... my building has gone from $176 to $350 in 12 years. For 683 sq ft.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2023, 01:39 PM   #25463
in the butt

But wages are also up 20% YoY

This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2023, 01:43 PM   #25464
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
So happy to be in a detached given the shit show that multi family is becoming
Old 03-31-2023, 02:27 PM   #25465
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,419 Times in 917 Posts
Yeah, losing hope out here for me lol.

I may sell off sometime in the near future and move somewhere lower cost of living. Maybe Japan if they let me in for skilled work, played golf with a random dad yesterday that just moved here from Japan. Apparently they're looking for lots of immigrant workers to fulfil an aging population.

You actually feel rich in Japan making over the 10% median salary in Canada.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 02:57 PM   #25466
Performance Moderator

Yah cuz home prices are super reasonable there... even high end condos with waterviews in very modern and highly developed cities are priced lower than suburban 5 stories here.

That said, Japan is a very different lifestyle in a lot of other negative ways that you have to be okay with.

Prices in Japan are 100% related to how close it is to a train line in the cities... and not just ANY train line... one that doesn't require connections to get to major places. If you're willing to walk 10 minutes to a station instead of 5 minute it's like a 50% discount. They're all about commuting convenience.

I like some of the smaller waterfront cities in the northwest... near Fukuoka... and south west of Tokyo there's some nice ones too like Kobe area etc.

Here's a fuckin sweet bachelor pad actual detached home for $350k CAD in Wakayama which is all surrounded by water and super close to Osaka: https://suumo.jp/ikkodate/wakayama/s...a/nc_98054113/

Fun times. That site is a good resource for JDM real estate.
Old 03-31-2023, 03:09 PM   #25467
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,653 Times in 3,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Yeah, losing hope out here for me lol.

I may sell off sometime in the near future and move somewhere lower cost of living. Maybe Japan if they let me in for skilled work, played golf with a random dad yesterday that just moved here from Japan. Apparently they're looking for lots of immigrant workers to fulfil an aging population.

You actually feel rich in Japan making over the 10% median salary in Canada.
you just want their JAV used underwear vending machine
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2023, 03:20 PM   #25468
Performance Moderator

Motivation is motivation
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2023, 04:58 PM   #25469
in the butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
you just want their JAV used underwear vending machine
Il be there In may, you want a pair? Or half a dozen pairs so you can....nvm....

Spoiler!

This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2023, 05:08 PM   #25470
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,718 Times in 889 Posts
Damn 350k eh can power much retire there, hoard some JDM girls, cough I mean cars kimochi
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:34 PM   #25471
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,653 Times in 3,106 Posts
No thanks mr Donk. Although I appreciate the consideration. I will partake in “soapland” if the tiny evil spy balloon ever pops. It’s so… therapeutic
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 06:31 AM   #25472
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
https://www.zealty.ca/mls-R2763897/9...-Vancouver-BC/

$2.8m for a 46 year old renovated house with just 2300sf in East Van. Damn. Looks like a pretty solid reno though but still.

Old 04-01-2023, 10:50 AM   #25473
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post

$2.8m for a 46 year old renovated house with just 2300sf in East Van. Damn. Looks like a pretty solid reno though but still.
Yeah, the reno is nice, but it isn't $2.8M nice for a 2300 sq ft home in that area of East Van.

One of my wife's GFs has recently gone on house hunting, and these were some of the units they were considering:

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...enue-vancouver

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...reet-vancouver

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...enue-vancouver

Also in that $2.8M mark, but 3000 - 3200 sq ft on a 5000+ sq ft lot in a nicer area. These would make so much more sense.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 10:53 AM   #25474
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
Those all need hundreds of thousands of dollars in Reno’s though lol

In under 10 years outside of maybe the last one, they are all going to be incredibly dated. The first one would probably take 200-300k to update

Personally I’d probably take one of the first to and do a big reno over the reno’ed one but I’m actually capable lol.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 04-01-2023 at 11:35 AM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 11:28 AM   #25475
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post

I'm more impressed how the previous owner managed to squeeze their limo into their backyard:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/94...g%2F11c1j121y2
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote