REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-21-2023, 02:09 PM   #25326
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Lol JDMdreams always has the answers though.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:36 PM   #25327
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Let’s all live rat cages like HK
Soon
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:27 PM   #25328
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,755 Times in 701 Posts
My uncle just had his RTB hearing.

His tenant has been late with payments anywhere from 1-30 days in the past two years. He has only made rent on the 1st of the month a handful of times.
The tenant has not paid rent for January, February, and March of 2023.

We filed for dispute resolution in November 2022, we had our hearing date last week, and the RTB arbitrator sided with us. The tenant didn't even bother to call into the hearing. From this experience the process works, it just takes freaking forever to get a hearing date.

We now have the possession notice, if the tenant doesn't move out we have to apply to the supreme court and pay ~$1,500 for a bailiff... It's also not fair my uncles has to pay for the bailiff and he's out three months rent.

I seriously doubt the tenant is going to move out when he is served the order of possession, so he's probably going to have to pay for the bailiff and he's going to have to pay for one month's of storage of his crap, he has a lot of it in the suite
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2023, 03:46 PM   #25329
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
The whole thing about rebuilding Metrotown to be more like a high street is extremely dumb. I can't believe who thought it was a good idea as Station Square and Brentwood are not the most usable.
I'd argue the opposite in that Metrotown is the one town center that can be saved b/c the transit link doesn't sit on the main road (Kingsway) so they can actually build a livable town center around the transit link. Brentwood and Lougheed both straddle a "highway" making it an awful place to live but Metrotown can be a proper neighborhood.

The problem is that the city planners are doing a terrible job of building out that area - Station Square was hemmed in by older existing buildings (where Best Buy is) while the areas south of the station are strictly residential when they should be mixed use with some green space (it's also not connected to the North side of Metrotown).
Old 03-21-2023, 04:01 PM   #25330

Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
We now have the possession notice, if the tenant doesn't move out we have to apply to the supreme court and pay ~$1,500 for a bailiff... It's also not fair my uncles has to pay for the bailiff and he's out three months rent.

I seriously doubt the tenant is going to move out when he is served the order of possession, so he's probably going to have to pay for the bailiff and he's going to have to pay for one month's of storage of his crap, he has a lot of it in the suite
Your uncle is entitled to recover these costs. In fact, the bailiff even has the authority to seize and sell the tenant's stuff to do so.

Here's a previous dispute resolution ruling of just this scenario: https://tenants.bc.ca/wp-content/upl...iliff-fees.pdf
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2023, 04:25 PM   #25331
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
The system is so messed up for landlords in BC :/

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:29 PM   #25332
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
Haven’t you been on Reddit? Vancouver Landlords are the devil and hitler rolled into one, they deserve everything coming to them!
Old 03-21-2023, 05:04 PM   #25333

Eh, there's PLENTY of shitty landlords to contrast the shitty tenants out there.

There should be protections for the good ones on both sides but I can understand why those protections would be a bit stronger for the tenants.

What would be a huge improvement to the system is simply putting more resources in so that claims get processed and reviewed much faster. A dispute resolution hearing over unpaid rent should happen in weeks, not months.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2023, 10:27 PM   #25334
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
Lol there was a debate on the radio today where people were saying how come you can say no weed, drugs, pets or smoking but not no Indians I mean it is your property. But yea I don't see why landlords have to subsidize rent, why is rent increase so lil but city can just jack up taxes by 10%+ there's no caps on wages or gas prices
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:14 PM   #25335

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,185 Posts
Neighbour is building a laneway house. I didn't realize you could build it that big (what backyard?) and/or with a basement! Wonder how many storeys it will be...

Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2023, 06:10 AM   #25336

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Neighbour is building a laneway house. I didn't realize you could build it that big (what backyard?) and/or with a basement! Wonder how many storeys it will be...

Looks like a 1 storey - the laneway just has to be 16' away from the back of the house (and you can get a variance if there's stuff like trees in the way or the house is really old and has a weird setup).

Officially you can build up to 16% of your lot size for a laneway up to about 950sf (for larger lots). On a standard 33x122 that's 644sf plus some allowances for storage space which gets you to about 680-690sf.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2023, 10:59 AM   #25337

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Lol there was a debate on the radio today where people were saying how come you can say no weed, drugs, pets or smoking but not no Indians I mean it is your property. But yea I don't see why landlords have to subsidize rent, why is rent increase so lil but city can just jack up taxes by 10%+ there's no caps on wages or gas prices
You have a very good point here.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 11:08 AM   #25338
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Pretty much because "fuck you" thats why

Rental increase capped at 2%, also pay 2% interest on tenant deposits. Increase property taxes by 10%, increase carbon taxes, increase alcohol taxes, and the list goes on lol
G0rilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 01:47 PM   #25339

Could be worse. You could be a renter getting evicted, then having to pay these crazy rental market rates.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:01 PM   #25340
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Unfortunately, rental prices normally don't drop, so everyone around me is stuck with the $2,200 - 2,500 1BR condo pricing.

Deflation doesn't really happen without some crazy event.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 02:39 PM   #25341

Thanked 3,105 Times in 975 Posts
Since we are on the topic of tenancy. What if a tenancy agreement is not signed by one or both parties, would you as a landlord be able to change the locks while the tenant is not home and toss their shit out? I mean their would be no legit proof that the tenant even lived there.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:44 PM   #25342

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
Since we are on the topic of tenancy. What if a tenancy agreement is not signed by one or both parties, would you as a landlord be able to change the locks while the tenant is not home and toss their shit out? I mean their would be no legit proof that the tenant even lived there.
A verbal agreement is enough. If nothing is in writing but the tenant is living at the premises, it’s basically understood that there was a verbal agreement and you move forward under the assumption of a basic, generic tenancy agreement

My idiot neighbour rolls like this. Even though is has like zero benefit other than he takes cash for the rent so he figured he’s covering that I guess lol
Old 03-22-2023, 02:59 PM   #25343

Yup, if a landlord takes money it's considered a tenancy has been established, and default basic RTA rights apply.

I hope that's a question of simple curiosity, not one of a landlord. The answer to that question is covered on the rtb's and many other tenancy resource sites. Being familiar with those regulations is basic landlord 101. Those that aren't generally fall into the previously mentioned "shitty landlord" category
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Last edited by Great68; 03-22-2023 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:22 PM   #25344
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts

Laneway house is starting to take shape

900sq + 40sq for storage as per Vancouver laneway guide lines.

We opted for the L shape, which was kind of inspired by the houses in Richmond.

Everything facing away from the main house for maximum privacy.

Main floor patio is going to be awesome for BBQs and gatherings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2023, 04:26 PM   #25345
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
That looks quite nice. But parking is gonna suck for your Tesla?
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 04:30 PM   #25346

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
That looks quite nice. But parking is gonna suck for your Tesla?
There will be a minimum one parking pad which will be on the right side of the laneway house.

But given the length of the primary property, I should be able to do tandem parking with the Bimmer too
Quote:
Quote:
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
Old 03-22-2023, 05:13 PM   #25347

Looks good, I like the design
Old 03-22-2023, 05:17 PM   #25348

Bifolding patio doors on a laneway? $$$$ lol. Very nice.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:23 PM   #25349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Bifolding patio doors on a laneway? $$$$ lol. Very nice.
YOLO gotta maximize that open space

3 bed, 2 upstairs bedrooms have their own dedicated balconies. Master bed room does not share any walls or floors with the other bed rooms

2 bath, one with a standing shower, one with a bathtub. Unfortunately as per COV, the main floor washroom doesn't allow for a standing shower, either it's with a bathtub or no bath tub at all.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by TypeRNammer; 03-22-2023 at 08:14 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2023, 06:41 PM   #25350

Thanked 3,840 Times in 1,484 Posts
Woah! 3 bed? That’s gotta be tight?