REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-11-2023, 11:07 AM   #25226
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,765 Times in 3,158 Posts
Selling in this market is fine, you’ll get top dollar but unless you cashing out and leave GVRD, when you buy in again you’ll be taking a spanking. It’s all relative I guess.
Advertisement
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 11:18 AM   #25227
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Selling in this market is fine, you’ll get top dollar but unless you cashing out and leave GVRD, when you buy in again you’ll be taking a spanking. It’s all relative I guess.
Exactly.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 01:43 PM   #25228
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Anyone dealt with tenants and RTB recently? Gave a 2 month eviction to tenant in February for May move out date, we re-negotiated as they needed more time and one of the tenants signed a mutual agreement to end tenancy for June 1st.

1 week later, they are disputing the 2 month eviction notice with the RTB. I've heard hearing dates can be 10+ months away when the RTB is backed up? Am I basically SOL if they decide they aren't moving till then?
van_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 01:49 PM   #25229
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,731 Times in 896 Posts
^^ cut the electricity, internet
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2023, 03:28 PM   #25230
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,390 Times in 3,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by van_driver View Post
Anyone dealt with tenants and RTB recently? Gave a 2 month eviction to tenant in February for May move out date, we re-negotiated as they needed more time and one of the tenants signed a mutual agreement to end tenancy for June 1st.

1 week later, they are disputing the 2 month eviction notice with the RTB. I've heard hearing dates can be 10+ months away when the RTB is backed up? Am I basically SOL if they decide they aren't moving till then?
I think the wait times have improved. Whats your reason for a 2 month notice?
Old 03-11-2023, 04:58 PM   #25231
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,716 Times in 1,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
There was a house in Nvan for sale, under the condition that the current occupant who was like a 85 year old widow, could remain in the house rent free until he basically died or had to be transferred to a care home.

I dont remember all the details, but it was a ridiculous situation to buy into, basically wishing this old coot would die so you could have the house.

And I get it, most people will be like "well thats a terrible way to think about it", imagine this, you have to pay to rent somewhere else, while this old dude lives in the house you are paying a mortgage on. Might be cool for 6 months or a year, but as your costs rack up, your gonna wish some covid on that bish.

Not to mention the other disaster of like maintenance and that guy damaging shit in the house.

When I bought my current place, the owner was allowed to remain while paying me a small sum of rent, there was a time cap on how long he was able to stay. This became a disaster when it came to getting the keys, and dealing with the damages on the walls and shit he left behind. In the end while it worked out (by worked out I mean I basically took it up the ass on the whole thing), I wouldn't recommend on people using this type of tactic for closing a deal.
https://www.zealty.ca/mls-R2635883/1...-Vancouver-BC/
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2023, 05:29 PM   #25232
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:

Scum tenant....this is what you get for trying to be nice and help them out

Hire a squatter to out squat the squatters if it goes downhill

Good luck on your journey, hope it all works out.

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 05:49 AM   #25233
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
YES! Lol 73 years old. Dude is gonna live forever.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 09:55 AM   #25234
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:

I sent in my order for direct possession (supposedly most high level urgency) due to my tenant not paying rent. I finished the final step of the process in mid Jan I still haven't heard back from the RTB yet.
G0rilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:22 AM   #25235
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

This a-hole neighbour down the street had tenants evicted about 6 months ago. Apparently these old retirees were hoarders and a safety hazard, it was days of moving vans and a sheriff on site. Once they were out he yard sale'd lots of the leftovers. No idea how long the process was but it is possible to evict.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:32 PM   #25236
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Took us about 3 months to sell my condo in River District, finally sold it. Ended up moving home to my parents with my wife, hibernate in the basement until we find a bigger place (detached). Didn't want to buy another place first, since it'll be insane carrying two mortgages. We started browsing and going to open houses the past few weekends, the options out there is limited as fuck with our budget. We want to stay with Vancouver/Burnaby only, our budget either gets us a new duplex without a rental suite or a pretty much run-down home with renovations to make it livable (just basically paying for the land).

I want whole piece of land, but I just don't want something that's like older than my parents 70-100 years old. Something 20-30 years old, shit is like $2M range now, can't find jack all in the $1.5-1.7M range. I really hate the homes that use air furnace, I prefer baseboard heating, but my budget can't afford the homes that aren't air furnace. The search continues.....
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2023, 08:40 PM   #25237
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,200 Times in 2,416 Posts
In my experience furnace is cheaper energy wise and more comfortable vs baseboard and easily converted to heat pump down the road.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:47 PM   #25238
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,428 Times in 483 Posts
goodluck, nothing shows up on zealty with under 30 years old and under 1.875
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:53 PM   #25239
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,386 Times in 5,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Took us about 3 months to sell my condo in River District, finally sold it. Ended up moving home to my parents with my wife, hibernate in the basement until we find a bigger place (detached). Didn't want to buy another place first, since it'll be insane carrying two mortgages. We started browsing and going to open houses the past few weekends, the options out there is limited as fuck with our budget. We want to stay with Vancouver/Burnaby only, our budget either gets us a new duplex without a rental suite or a pretty much run-down home with renovations to make it livable (just basically paying for the land).

I want whole piece of land, but I just don't want something that's like older than my parents 70-100 years old. Something 20-30 years old, shit is like $2M range now, can't find jack all in the $1.5-1.7M range. I really hate the homes that use air furnace, I prefer baseboard heating, but my budget can't afford the homes that aren't air furnace. The search continues.....
If budget is your concern, baseboard heaters are not your friend.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:23 PM   #25240
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Our first place was in floor radiant heating lived there 5 years, our second place was baseboard radiant heating lived there 13 years, current place is Forced air, been here 3 years and I prefer the furnace over all with the in floor radiant heating coming in second and the baseboard was the heat I liked the least.

The fact we could never have central air with the baseboard heater really sucked, didn't even know I would like air conditioning as much as I do and not sure I could even live in another place without it again.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2023, 09:55 PM   #25241
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,228 Times in 1,029 Posts
I've lived in all 3 kinds. Maybe it's the way I am but I prefer radiant heat the most. I like furnace the least because of the way ducting works, you can hear everyone throughout the house. Maybe things are different on newer builds now but every old house with forced air, it's loud.

I have hydronic baseboard now. Worse of all worlds lol.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2023, 07:28 AM   #25242

Thanked 4,828 Times in 1,775 Posts
Each system has it's own strengths & weaknesses, but yeah hydronic baseboards certainly has the least strengths compared to others. This is how I see it:

Electric Baseboards
Pros:
- Dirt cheap to install compared to other systems
- Inherently get some level of individual zoning control.
- Nearly silent operation
Cons:
- Expensive energy cost to operate
- Passive airflow, slow thermal response
- Not possible to retrofit for cooling

Hydronic Baseboards
Pros:
- Easier capability to do individual zoning control (compared to force air)
- Less expensive energy cost than electric baseboards
- Have the capability to swap boiler for an AWHP, making energy retrofit a bit easier
- Nearly silent operation

Cons:
- Separate plumbing system throughout house (more expensive initial installation)
- More complexity (Pumps, valves, air bleeds etc), more things to go wrong
- Passive airflow, slow thermal response
- Not possible to retrofit for cooling

IMO Hydronic rad floor is basically the same as hydronic baseboards with added pro of having nice warm floor on your feet. The thermal mass increases and this could be looked at as both a pro and con. Pro in that it doesn't fluctuate much when it comes up to temp, but a con in that it takes longer to change temp (ie move setpoint up/down)

Forced Air System (Direct exchange Nat Gas or Heat Pump)
Pros:
- Fast thermal response
- Active airflow and filtered air (better air quality in house)
- Easy to retrofit for cooling
- Lower energy cost to operate over other systems

Cons:
- Need ductwork system, takes up more space in house (bulkheads etc), more expensive initial install
- Can't do zoning very easily (Although this only really becomes an issue in bigger houses)
- Louder operation than other systems (Although this has gotten much better with soft starting ECM variable speed motors)
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2023, 07:52 AM   #25243
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,914 Posts
Would this be a decent investment? Coquitlam area, older TH, end unit, 2 Bd + den, 2 bath, 1176 sqft, somewhat reno'd/upgraded, $416/mth maintenance. Exterior is a bit dated but .. Listed at $588K. What can you fetch for a 2 Bed + den rental - $2500-$2700/mth?

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...reet-coquitlam

Last edited by whitev70r; 03-13-2023 at 08:12 AM.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 08:26 AM   #25244
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
I would make sure they have a healthy CRF and record of the building. the strata price seems low for a building of that age and condition.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:04 AM   #25245
private modder

Thanked 2,654 Times in 743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I get I'm gonna sound like a cunt here, but I can't imagine paying money for people to cook a steak and some sides. It's literally the easiest thing on the planet to make at home. Like, a baked potato and some shit ass feedlot Alberta sirloin is gonna cost me $50 at the keg, then some shitty ass Rickards red for $9 a pint, or I could grab a potato for $.99 and a dry aged strip from two rivers for $17 that is eleventy billion times better and have money left over for a 4 pack of superflux.
I get people don't do this for a living, but it takes 10 minutes to cook a steak, and 6 minutes to rest it. Buy a meat thermometer if you aren't confident. Pull it out 10 degrees Fahrenheit lower than you want it and rest it. I love going out for a meal, but there is nothing quicker and easier than a steak. I know atmosphere is part of it, but fuckin hell if Cactus or the keg offers that. Listening to Ke$ha or nickleback while I have my meal isn't my idea of ambiance.
After starting a family, a night out with my wife and baby for a $50 steak and garlic mash at the keg is without a doubt the best money I've ever spent in my life.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:42 AM   #25246
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Quote:

There's another option you could try, get one of your family members to move in replacing their spot. However, they have already submitted a dispute, so maybe that could backfire..
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 10:04 AM   #25247

Thanked 4,828 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
There's another option you could try, get one of your family members to move in replacing their spot. However, they have already submitted a dispute, so maybe that could backfire..
The RTB is not dumb, an arbitrator would see right through that.

And, if that family member doesn't actually stay for 6 months you could be on the hook 12 months' rent.
(I've been reading a bunch of dispute resolution rulings and the RTB is not shy on awarding the 12 month compensation penalty to tenants...)
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 12:17 PM   #25248
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
When I bought my current place, the owner was allowed to remain while paying me a small sum of rent, there was a time cap on how long he was able to stay. This became a disaster when it came to getting the keys, and dealing with the damages on the walls and shit he left behind. In the end while it worked out (by worked out I mean I basically took it up the ass on the whole thing), I wouldn't recommend on people using this type of tactic for closing a deal.
I actually had a similar arrangement but it worked out alright. Seller was in his ~80s and was awaiting a placement at a retirement home, so we contracted to rent back the basement suite to him (at a fair market rent) for up to 12 months.

I'd do it again, but I think meeting him (he seemed like a very reasonable guy) before writing it into the offer, and that it was only the basement suite helped tremendously. The extra cash in the first few months of ownership was nice and it was actually helpful to have him around to clarify some things around the house.

I don't know how much my willingness to write this into the offer played in the sale, but I did get it slightly under ask in Dec 2020/Jan 2021 (which was pretty peak craziness)
Old 03-13-2023, 01:22 PM   #25249
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,236 Posts
Plus it's great insurance to have a guy in case you get caught up in the Mexican Cartel and need someone to gun down some of their contract killers

/Ozarks

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2023, 02:38 PM   #25250
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post

Congrats on the sale and I don't mean to pop your bubble but I think you already know the answer to this.....

The last time something 20-30 years old on a standardish lot in Vancouver proper was 1.7m was 2019-early 2020 and that was when rates were ~2%. Even something older (ie. 40-50-year-old unrenovated Vancouver special) never really went below 1.3m in 2019.

Having gone through the exact same process during covid and having to settle for plan C or D, I can tell you that you are looking for exactly what everyone else is looking for (an "entry" detached home) and inventory will only continue to decrease as builders buy up lots to consolidate or build duplexes. Once you include school catchment/curb appeal/etc it gets even more difficult.

Best of luck in your search, but I advise you not to get too discouraged and continue to go to open houses and put in offers (even low balls) to gauge the direction and temperature of the market. If you do come across something that meets enough of your criteria, go all in right away, especially if the market is warm/hot. ~$50k-75k is "meaningless" in the grand scheme of things when it comes to buying a house in Vancouver. I regret not going all-in right away when I found something that checked off enough boxes. I should've spent the extra $50k.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: