REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Left turn traffic light (https://www.revscene.net/forums/674710-left-turn-traffic-light.html)

HansonBoy 10-03-2012 04:55 PM

Left turn traffic light

I just want to make sure that if there is a left turn traffic light on an intersection, and it is green, does that mean there is no way that there would be a green light for the opposing traffic? AND there would be no way that the pedestrian light would be walk? I always shoulder check anyways but it woud be nice to know. Thanks.

Gerbs 10-03-2012 05:02 PM

yes i believe

xilley 10-03-2012 06:28 PM

yes..

Sango 10-03-2012 07:17 PM

Yes. Unless there was a serious malfunction with the system but it should be unlikely; most likely they may have some form of fail safe if something goes wrong to trigger the flashing reds.

08civicsi_coupe 10-03-2012 10:10 PM

how did you get a drivers license i mean really they must just hand them out

Shorn 10-04-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HansonBoy (Post 8046009)
I just want to make sure that if there is a left turn traffic light on an intersection, and it is green, does that mean there is no way that there would be a green light for the opposing traffic? AND there would be no way that the pedestrian light would be walk? I always shoulder check anyways but it woud be nice to know. Thanks.

just cause it means the pedestrian light won't be walk doesn't mean you shouldn't check.

people jay walk all the time.

sebberry 10-04-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorn (Post 8046395)
people jay walk all the time.

That's why I don't like turning left on a red onto a one-way. There are always pedestrians running around at the last second.

eurochevy 10-04-2012 11:56 AM

:suspicious: not sure if serious

Brad Fuel 10-04-2012 02:00 PM

Wait a minute here. Everyone is answering yes but the question is not clear.

OP refers to "Left turn traffic light". Pretty much every intersection in the LMD has a left turn light. Theres a traffic light for just about every lane (overkill in my opinion). To me a Left Turn Traffic Light is just a regular light (red/yellow/green) positioned at the corner of the intersection

Please clearify if you are actually referring to a "LEFT TURN SIGNAL" or sometimes referred to as a "LEFT TURN ARROW". This is very different from your standard "left turn traffic light"

If it's is an LEFT TURN SIGNAL or ARROW, then the opposing traffic will have a red light and you can proceed immediately. Pedestrians will have a do not walk sign.

If it's just a LEFT TURN TRAFFIC LIGHT, you must yield to oncoming traffic.

HansonBoy 10-04-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08civicsi_coupe (Post 8046297)
how did you get a drivers license i mean really they must just hand them out

Thanks for judging me based on one question. Did your ICBC examiner ask you my specific question? Because my examiner was silent, but I passed with almost a clean sheet because I was careful and always shoulder checked as I was taught (for both peds and bicycles). I forgot to ask my instrutor this question and I just wanted to confirm here that the opposing traffic 100% has a red and so does the pedestrian walk (red hand).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Fuel (Post 8046703)
If it's is an LEFT TURN SIGNAL or ARROW, then the opposing traffic will have a red light and you can proceed immediately. Pedestrians will have a do not walk sign.

Yes that is exactly what i meant, sorry for the confusion. If it's just a simple green light then I know what to do.

And sincere thanks to everyone else for answering.

rexsomnii 10-04-2012 10:58 PM

I find that even the Left Turn signal is on.. careless pedestrians on their cellphone will walk onto the street, then when they see you turning they'll either a) run back to their sidewalk or b) run to the other side of the street. So just watch out for that. :)

wing_woo 10-05-2012 08:16 AM

Or some that just don't care and walk across regardless and finger you when you honk at them.

zulutango 10-05-2012 12:03 PM

Had exactly that happen to a driving student of mine this morning. We had an advance green protected turn. Saw a woman on our left at the crosswalk that we would have to cross on our turn. Told the student that she would walk out against the do not cross light. Light turned green for our protected left turn, we started forward and the woman moved into the crosswalk against the light. I reached over and honked the horn. Woman looked at us and kept slowly walking into our path. Honked twice more and she continued, forcing us to stop in the middle of the intersection with our protected turn now gone. We finally cleared. Fortunately no oncoming traffic facing us. Object lesson given to student. You dont have to drive a car or ride a bike or motorcycle to be a jerk. Being a pedestrian also qualifies you for the club.

10-9 10-23-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8047573)
Had exactly that happen to a driving student of mine this morning. We had an advance green protected turn. Saw a woman on our left at the crosswalk that we would have to cross on our turn. Told the student that she would walk out against the do not cross light. Light turned green for our protected left turn, we started forward and the woman moved into the crosswalk against the light. I reached over and honked the horn. Woman looked at us and kept slowly walking into our path. Honked twice more and she continued, forcing us to stop in the middle of the intersection with our protected turn now gone. We finally cleared. Fortunately no oncoming traffic facing us. Object lesson given to student. You dont have to drive a car or ride a bike or motorcycle to be a jerk. Being a pedestrian also qualifies you for the club.

Downtown Vancouver is the worst for this.

snails 10-23-2012 10:18 AM

i HATE driving downtown, following all the rules of the road is fine, but pedestrians dont care at all, my gf was terrible for crossing without looking, people that dont do alot of driving in congested areas/pedestrians dont realize how invisible they are on a rainy dark night just randomly crossing, i may get a dent in my hood, but they will have broken bones... and at the end of the day its usually the drivers fault.. fml

sebberry 10-23-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snails (Post 8062486)
i HATE driving downtown, following all the rules of the road is fine, but pedestrians dont care at all, my gf was terrible for crossing without looking, people that dont do alot of driving in congested areas/pedestrians dont realize how invisible they are on a rainy dark night just randomly crossing, i may get a dent in my hood, but they will have broken bones... and at the end of the day its usually the drivers fault.. fml

Of course the typical knee-jerk reaction is to lower speed limits for cars. How about stepping up pedestrian enforcement?

inv4zn 10-23-2012 11:47 AM

^christ, shut up. I'd say that's completely irrelevant but you'll come up with something else, so I won't.

Just like snails said, it's not me driving the car that's going to be in a wheelchair. Sure there may be financial/legal repercussions if I'm found at fault, but I'm not going to live the rest of my life in pain.

Soundy 10-23-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8047573)

Too bad you're retired from the force, you could have jumped out and given her a ticket. And smacked her upside the head with it.

Soundy 10-23-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 8062501)
Of course the typical knee-jerk reaction is to lower speed limits for cars. How about stepping up pedestrian enforcement?

How about not threadjacking with your boring anti-establishment hippie whining? Go troll elsewhere, troll.

sebberry 10-23-2012 11:55 AM

I make a suggestion to hold the lawbreaker accountable for creating a safety hazard and you jump all over me for it?

Ok.

Matlock 10-23-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wing_woo (Post 8047391)
Or some that just don't care and walk across regardless and finger you when you honk at them.

Best reason to upgrade horns to 4x hella supertones or airhorn.

Graeme S 10-23-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 8062571)
I make a suggestion to hold the lawbreaker accountable for creating a safety hazard and you jump all over me for it?

Ok.

No, you comment without thinking. There actually has been a predestrian awareness campaign going on in Downtown vancouver, and has been for awhile. Cops are on the lookout for people jaywalking from common areas, and ground vinyl has been put down to try and remind people to be aware.

And you weren't "making a suggestion", you were complaining about the bias that you perceive "against speed", and not actually making suggestions on how to make people accountable.

Suggestions to make people accountable:
-Have more officers on the street focused on street safety (not just speed, as you've mentioned)
-Somehow add warnings on advance left turn lights (Burnaby counts down numbers, not sure how hard it would be to add a "Don't walk, cars turning!" recording)
-Advertisements or reminders at intersections that they have to be aware of other cars.

Those are suggestions. What you do is whine.

Spidey 10-24-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 8062835)
No, you comment without thinking. There actually has been a predestrian awareness campaign going on in Downtown vancouver, and has been for awhile. Cops are on the lookout for people jaywalking from common areas, and ground vinyl has been put down to try and remind people to be aware.

And you weren't "making a suggestion", you were complaining about the bias that you perceive "against speed", and not actually making suggestions on how to make people accountable.

Suggestions to make people accountable:
-Have more officers on the street focused on street safety (not just speed, as you've mentioned)
-Somehow add warnings on advance left turn lights (Burnaby counts down numbers, not sure how hard it would be to add a "Don't walk, cars turning!" recording)
-Advertisements or reminders at intersections that they have to be aware of other cars.

Those are suggestions. What you do is whine.

He argues over topics where most of us are talking in regards to the lower mainland/Vancouver... but he has probably never spent more than 2 days driving outside the Island

wing_woo 10-24-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 8062835)

I think there are some intersections down there that have signs that say something about "Wait for Walk sign before crossing". I know there are some one way streets down there where the walk sign is delayed to allow cars to make a left turn. I think Georgia and Howe or Burrard have those signs and also in front of Chapters.

wing_woo 10-24-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matlock (Post 8062684)
Best reason to upgrade horns to 4x hella supertones or airhorn.

haha...true. One of the things that sucks about my Rav4 is you get this wimpy 'meet meet' horn. Even my Kia Rio's horn is more authoratative than the Rav 4's.