REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Left turn traffic light

I just want to make sure that if there is a left turn traffic light on an intersection, and it is green, does that mean there is no way that there would be a green light for the opposing traffic? AND there would be no way that the pedestrian light would be walk? I always shoulder check anyways but it woud be nice to know. Thanks.
Advertisement
HansonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,397 Times in 910 Posts
yes i believe
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
yes..
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #4

Yes. Unless there was a serious malfunction with the system but it should be unlikely; most likely they may have some form of fail safe if something goes wrong to trigger the flashing reds.
Sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
I don't get it

how did you get a drivers license i mean really they must just hand them out
2007 civic si coupe turbo with 535whp on the mustang dyno (sold)
2010 Dodge ram 1500 quad cab slt (sold)
2003 j's racing s2000 comptech supercharged (parted)
2008 civic si coupe (traded)
2006 toyota 4runner limited (traded)
92 civic eg hatch turbo d16 11.7 quarter (parted)
90 eagle talon (rip)
89 toyota celica gts (sold)
08civicsi_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2012, 12:43 AM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansonBoy View Post
I just want to make sure that if there is a left turn traffic light on an intersection, and it is green, does that mean there is no way that there would be a green light for the opposing traffic? AND there would be no way that the pedestrian light would be walk? I always shoulder check anyways but it woud be nice to know. Thanks.
just cause it means the pedestrian light won't be walk doesn't mean you shouldn't check.

people jay walk all the time.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
people jay walk all the time.
That's why I don't like turning left on a red onto a one-way. There are always pedestrians running around at the last second.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
RS controls my life!

not sure if serious
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Wait a minute here. Everyone is answering yes but the question is not clear.

OP refers to "Left turn traffic light". Pretty much every intersection in the LMD has a left turn light. Theres a traffic light for just about every lane (overkill in my opinion). To me a Left Turn Traffic Light is just a regular light (red/yellow/green) positioned at the corner of the intersection

Please clearify if you are actually referring to a "LEFT TURN SIGNAL" or sometimes referred to as a "LEFT TURN ARROW". This is very different from your standard "left turn traffic light"

If it's is an LEFT TURN SIGNAL or ARROW, then the opposing traffic will have a red light and you can proceed immediately. Pedestrians will have a do not walk sign.

If it's just a LEFT TURN TRAFFIC LIGHT, you must yield to oncoming traffic.
Brad Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08civicsi_coupe View Post
how did you get a drivers license i mean really they must just hand them out
Thanks for judging me based on one question. Did your ICBC examiner ask you my specific question? Because my examiner was silent, but I passed with almost a clean sheet because I was careful and always shoulder checked as I was taught (for both peds and bicycles). I forgot to ask my instrutor this question and I just wanted to confirm here that the opposing traffic 100% has a red and so does the pedestrian walk (red hand).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Fuel View Post
If it's is an LEFT TURN SIGNAL or ARROW, then the opposing traffic will have a red light and you can proceed immediately. Pedestrians will have a do not walk sign.
Yes that is exactly what i meant, sorry for the confusion. If it's just a simple green light then I know what to do.

And sincere thanks to everyone else for answering.
HansonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
Rider

Thanked 2,601 Times in 272 Posts
I find that even the Left Turn signal is on.. careless pedestrians on their cellphone will walk onto the street, then when they see you turning they'll either a) run back to their sidewalk or b) run to the other side of the street. So just watch out for that.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #12
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Or some that just don't care and walk across regardless and finger you when you honk at them.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #13
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Had exactly that happen to a driving student of mine this morning. We had an advance green protected turn. Saw a woman on our left at the crosswalk that we would have to cross on our turn. Told the student that she would walk out against the do not cross light. Light turned green for our protected left turn, we started forward and the woman moved into the crosswalk against the light. I reached over and honked the horn. Woman looked at us and kept slowly walking into our path. Honked twice more and she continued, forcing us to stop in the middle of the intersection with our protected turn now gone. We finally cleared. Fortunately no oncoming traffic facing us. Object lesson given to student. You dont have to drive a car or ride a bike or motorcycle to be a jerk. Being a pedestrian also qualifies you for the club.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #14
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Had exactly that happen to a driving student of mine this morning. We had an advance green protected turn. Saw a woman on our left at the crosswalk that we would have to cross on our turn. Told the student that she would walk out against the do not cross light. Light turned green for our protected left turn, we started forward and the woman moved into the crosswalk against the light. I reached over and honked the horn. Woman looked at us and kept slowly walking into our path. Honked twice more and she continued, forcing us to stop in the middle of the intersection with our protected turn now gone. We finally cleared. Fortunately no oncoming traffic facing us. Object lesson given to student. You dont have to drive a car or ride a bike or motorcycle to be a jerk. Being a pedestrian also qualifies you for the club.
Downtown Vancouver is the worst for this.
10-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #15
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
i HATE driving downtown, following all the rules of the road is fine, but pedestrians dont care at all, my gf was terrible for crossing without looking, people that dont do alot of driving in congested areas/pedestrians dont realize how invisible they are on a rainy dark night just randomly crossing, i may get a dent in my hood, but they will have broken bones... and at the end of the day its usually the drivers fault.. fml
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
i HATE driving downtown, following all the rules of the road is fine, but pedestrians dont care at all, my gf was terrible for crossing without looking, people that dont do alot of driving in congested areas/pedestrians dont realize how invisible they are on a rainy dark night just randomly crossing, i may get a dent in my hood, but they will have broken bones... and at the end of the day its usually the drivers fault.. fml
Of course the typical knee-jerk reaction is to lower speed limits for cars. How about stepping up pedestrian enforcement?

Old 10-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #17
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,687 Times in 1,624 Posts
^christ, shut up. I'd say that's completely irrelevant but you'll come up with something else, so I won't.

Just like snails said, it's not me driving the car that's going to be in a wheelchair. Sure there may be financial/legal repercussions if I'm found at fault, but I'm not going to live the rest of my life in pain.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Too bad you're retired from the force, you could have jumped out and given her a ticket. And smacked her upside the head with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #19
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Of course the typical knee-jerk reaction is to lower speed limits for cars. How about stepping up pedestrian enforcement?
How about not threadjacking with your boring anti-establishment hippie whining? Go troll elsewhere, troll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #20
I subscribe to Revscene

I make a suggestion to hold the lawbreaker accountable for creating a safety hazard and you jump all over me for it?

Ok.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #21
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
Or some that just don't care and walk across regardless and finger you when you honk at them.
Best reason to upgrade horns to 4x hella supertones or airhorn.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #22
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
I make a suggestion to hold the lawbreaker accountable for creating a safety hazard and you jump all over me for it?

Ok.
No, you comment without thinking. There actually has been a predestrian awareness campaign going on in Downtown vancouver, and has been for awhile. Cops are on the lookout for people jaywalking from common areas, and ground vinyl has been put down to try and remind people to be aware.

And you weren't "making a suggestion", you were complaining about the bias that you perceive "against speed", and not actually making suggestions on how to make people accountable.

Suggestions to make people accountable:
-Have more officers on the street focused on street safety (not just speed, as you've mentioned)
-Somehow add warnings on advance left turn lights (Burnaby counts down numbers, not sure how hard it would be to add a "Don't walk, cars turning!" recording)
-Advertisements or reminders at intersections that they have to be aware of other cars.

Those are suggestions. What you do is whine.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #23
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
No, you comment without thinking. There actually has been a predestrian awareness campaign going on in Downtown vancouver, and has been for awhile. Cops are on the lookout for people jaywalking from common areas, and ground vinyl has been put down to try and remind people to be aware.

And you weren't "making a suggestion", you were complaining about the bias that you perceive "against speed", and not actually making suggestions on how to make people accountable.

Suggestions to make people accountable:
-Have more officers on the street focused on street safety (not just speed, as you've mentioned)
-Somehow add warnings on advance left turn lights (Burnaby counts down numbers, not sure how hard it would be to add a "Don't walk, cars turning!" recording)
-Advertisements or reminders at intersections that they have to be aware of other cars.

Those are suggestions. What you do is whine.
He argues over topics where most of us are talking in regards to the lower mainland/Vancouver... but he has probably never spent more than 2 days driving outside the Island
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post

I think there are some intersections down there that have signs that say something about "Wait for Walk sign before crossing". I know there are some one way streets down there where the walk sign is delayed to allow cars to make a left turn. I think Georgia and Howe or Burrard have those signs and also in front of Chapters.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
Best reason to upgrade horns to 4x hella supertones or airhorn.
haha...true. One of the things that sucks about my Rav4 is you get this wimpy 'meet meet' horn. Even my Kia Rio's horn is more authoratative than the Rav 4's.