REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #76
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,267 Times in 291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
I sprayed my whole car.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/67030...ml#post8262243

Got too over confident in how small my car was and ended up not having enough dip to achive the colour and effect I wanted. This is 6 coats with no base when what I really needed was 8 coats or 2 base and 6 coats.

Also if anyone is interested in buying dip in gallons let me know. Will be bring up a bunch of dip from the states.

I thought you'd be on RS, you live pretty close to me and I spot your car parked on Tyne all the time!
I also have a buddy that owns a blue BRZ around that area and he tells me he has met you
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #77
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Weird how plastidip is so much more accepted than vinyl wrap on this forum, yet we know how much better vinyl wrap looks and feels. I guess it's too much work to vinyl wrap and get similar looking results from afar.
mikey2781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #78
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
^ vinyl fails because the people that can afford to do it usually ruin their $70k+ value cars with it...

vinyl also fails because its near the same price of a real paintjob... only lasts a few years, peels back.... and did i mesntion that its near the same price of a paintjob?
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #79

What if you want to change back to original colour?
Are you going to REPAINT it again? If you are, then you are paying DOUBLE the cost of a paint job.

And vinyl wrap material costs $500 for high end stuff if you do it yourself, like how you would dip your car yourself. Why assume everyone gets it wrapped for $4k? (IRL, they cost $2k for a vinyl wrap job. They overprice everything for $70k+ cars, including paint jobs.)

I have never seen anyone peeling off their original paint on their fully wrapped cars. But i have seen quite a few people peel their paint of on their fully dipped cars.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #80
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverYours View Post

I thought you'd be on RS, you live pretty close to me and I spot your car parked on Tyne all the time!
I also have a buddy that owns a blue BRZ around that area and he tells me he has met you
Everyone seems to know where I live... this can't be good. lol hopefully your friend doesn't think me a weirdo. Is it Eddie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2781 View Post
What if you want to change back to original colour?
Are you going to REPAINT it? If you are, then you are paying DOUBLE the amount of a paint job.

And vinyl wrap material costs $500 for high end stuff if you do it yourself, like how you would dip your car yourself. Why do you assume everyone gets it wrapped for $4k? (IRL, they cost $2k for a vinyl wrap job. They overprice everything for $70k+ cars, including paint jobs.)
Umm if you want the original colour you just peel off the dip not repaint it.

lol its not just the cost of vinyl but how long it takes as well. Another good point is vinyl gets a rip or tear you are done that whole panel needs to be taken off and redone, if my dip rips I just respray the area (tho I don't have any left).

Your point on pricing also works both ways. Yes I paid almost $400 to do this but had I wanted to wait I could of gotten enough dip to paint my car twice over for the same price.

Its dip its nothing fancy but at least its affordable even when you go crazy and add metal flakes and pearls to it.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #81
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
now considering making car matte white
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
Umm if you want the original colour you just peel off the dip not repaint it.

lol its not just the cost of vinyl but how long it takes as well. Another good point is vinyl gets a rip or tear you are done that whole panel needs to be taken off and redone, if my dip rips I just respray the area (tho I don't have any left).

Your point on pricing also works both ways. Yes I paid almost $400 to do this but had I wanted to wait I could of gotten enough dip to paint my car twice over for the same price.

Its dip its nothing fancy but at least its affordable even when you go crazy and add metal flakes and pearls to it.
I wasn't comparing cost with plastidip, I was defending how he said painting costs the same as vinyl wrapping. And lol, yes I am aware that you just peel off plastidip, that is what it is known for...

In fact, there are actually people offering "plastidip services" that costs the same as a vinyl wrap job.

I touched a plastidipped car, it felt like a eraser. I touched a vinyl wrap car, it felt like a baby's ass.

My main point is that to DIY, they both cost the same give or take $50. The time spent wrapping will be probably 2 to 3 times longer, but if both are done perfectly, vinyl wrap is always going to look better.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #83

Important fact is that, dipping OR plastidipping in a LIGHT colour will always end up crappier than a dark colour. They WILL get stained over time and will NEVER look brand new again NO MATTER what you do unless you scrub it so hard that it gets polished ending up not even being matte any more.

They get all yellowy and crap, looks horrible when it sits beside a newly dipped/wrapped car.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #84
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,737 Times in 3,863 Posts
I just picked up some white, I plan on dipping my ruckus. I'm amazing with a rattle can, but I've never used plasti dip before
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #85
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
I just picked up some white, I plan on dipping my ruckus. I'm amazing with a rattle can, but I've never used plasti dip before
Posted via RS Mobile
careful when you fill up so that no gasoline drips on a dipped area.
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #86

Lol thanks for the gasoline tip. I've heard it a bunch of times already. I'll be painting the battery box, seat frame and full frame white, but I'll keep the ncy tank cover black (panda theme y0)
Posted via RS Mobile
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #87
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I dont understand why a full dip job costs just as much as full vinyl wrap job...
wonton1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:46 AM   #88
I STILL don't get it

imho, there are pros and cons to both.
Yes the finish on vinyl will obviously look better than even the most well dipped car.
But on the other hand, dip allows you to hit every curve and every nook and cranny perfectly. 90% of the vinyl wrap jobs I see, I can easily see spots where the car's original color peeks through. Call me super anal, but that annoys me.
I've seen some horrible dip cars with tiny bumps all over that you can see from about a foot away. But I've also seen some dip cars where you really wouldn't notice unless your face was two inches away.
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #89
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
I've seen a few nasty dip jobs. Apparently not easy to clean, especially tree sap.

I dipped my trucks wheels a few years ago and it is still holding up fine. Even had one tire removed and remounted, it only slightly curled the dipped edge. I just touched it up with some new dip and it looks fine.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #90
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Bought them already dipped used. Peeled around the lip and turns out they're curbed to shit. So I suppose they cover up curbage pretty well since it can be sprayed on so thick.

There's also True Metallic for wheels and stuff now, I think I'm going to dip my current wheels to the "vintage gold"

https://www.dipyourcar.com/pages.php?pageid=94

Old instagram photo

Turned out okay, credit:Static Captains

Btw is that Rav4 trying to be a taxi
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #91

+1 to NOT do light colours on dipping/wrapping. Was definitely a pain in the ass to clean/keep clean. When my ~6months old matte white sat beside a newly wrapped matte white, my car looked YELLOW.

I dipped the vents of my front bumper matte white, and it was hard to keep clean as well. The pores are also smaller on vinyl wrap compared to plasti dip so vinyl does look a lot nicer.

I don't drive a 70k+ car but the cost to get my whole car wrapped was pretty affordable, not saying I would do it again because of other issues, but it does not cost nearly as much as a matte white paint job.

People who charge 2k for a plasti dip job is insane... Takes 1/3 of the time it takes to wrap a car.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #92

^^ hold the phone. No way anyone can charge over 2 grand for a dip job
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #93
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Spoiler!

My bad did not read that clearly enough. I agree with most of what you said. There are way to make dip smooth if thats what you really want as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2781 View Post
Important fact is that, dipping OR plastidipping in a LIGHT colour will always end up crappier than a dark colour. They WILL get stained over time and will NEVER look brand new again NO MATTER what you do unless you scrub it so hard that it gets polished ending up not even being matte any more.

They get all yellowy and crap, looks horrible when it sits beside a newly dipped/wrapped car.
Quote:
From my own experience dipping without any type of glossifier coatings on top of the matte colors will result in VERY dull looking dip in a few days. Apparently some of the "blaze" color dips slowly fade into a lighter shade or so as well. Mr.Jay have you noticed any changes in the yellow dip since application?

Matte black turns into some dullish grey-primer color, kinda like in the picture I posted in the last page (which is one of the reasons I peeled it off) - I spotted an Integra around Joyce yersterday that was fully matte black dipped and looked terrible in my opinion.
I do find that dip tends to fade after awhile but this can be greatly reduced if you buy the dip with the UV protection added to it as it is designed for outdoors and will resist fade for a lot longer.

The dip will still fade but what I like is when it does fade you can spray a coat or two over the old dip and it will look new again

btw LOL you serious people charging dips as much as vinyl? I was asking $500 for matte black a little while ago when I had a bunch of black and got a bunch of people saying thats a crazy price and low balling me
Old 06-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #94

^^$800??? count me in! Would like to see some matte grey full car dips.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #95
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
the thing about dip is that its customizable, its quick, its cheap... next winter im dipping the bottom half of my car to help with road salts and stuff, next time i go on a long roadtrip the front end is getting dipped rather than taped up, its just convenient, if you watch a video on how people do it they dont even bother masking alot of the time, they just pull the dip off at the seams... and to touch up you just re spray over...

now im not saying its a good alternative to paint, but if you wanna screw around with little consequence its a great product
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #96

What im mainly trying to say is: there is no reason to hate people who vinyl wrap their cars if the people who hate them uses plasti dip... I understand how some people may hate BOTH vinyl wrapped AND plastidipped cars, but just blows my mind how there is a thread on "PLASTIDIP pictures" but the only thread for vinyl wrap pictures is "HALL OF SHAME".

Anything wrapped ends up in the hall of shame. Soon enough, you will see $70k+ cars being plasti dipped and some maybe even with some weird tacky ass colours like pink wheels.

My close friend actually has a plastidipped in matte black infiniti, I want to tell him it looks like shit but I won't. Not saying ALL matte black plastidips are ugly, but people without a proper spray gun and technique will make it look uneven and blotchy.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #97
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,267 Times in 291 Posts
RS only hates vinyl wrapped cars that are done wrong - such as cars that look incompletely wrapped or with mismatched colors (aka the MM Design effect)

For example:

If a car was dipped like this, it would be in the Hall of Shame as well. In the end it's simply how well the car pulls off the wrapped/dipped look.

There are already $70K+ cars being dipped. The guys at DYC already have done an R8 and they're planning on dipping it again
Dipping and wrapping are similar in a sense they still need proper technique and good prep work - otherwise the end results will turn out shitty either way.

Last edited by ForeverYours; 06-21-2013 at 01:42 PM.
ForeverYours is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #98
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
RS only hates vinyl wrapped cars that are done wrong - such as cars that look incompletely wrapped or with mismatched colors (aka the MM Design effect)

For example: :tr

There are already $70K+ cars being dipped. The guys at DYC already have done an R8 and they're planning on dipping it again
Dipping and wrapping are similar in a sense they still need proper technique and good prep work - otherwise the end results will turn out shitty either way.
I can't find the dipped R8 on the DYC channel? Only wheels...?
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #99

^ I also love the camo green.
Wild_Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #100
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

This new Metallic stuff looks really cool I wanna try it on something.

Have you done this one yet?
Mitskuni is offline   Reply With Quote