REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Anyone here own a kindle or other dedicated e-reader? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/675273-anyone-here-own-kindle-other-dedicated-e-reader.html)

Jason00S2000 10-15-2012 10:43 PM

Anyone here own a kindle or other dedicated e-reader?

Had a discussion with someone at the bar tonight, this girl I know is talking about writing a book after she heard I finished mine. She's a bit younger than me (23) and says everyone, literally everyone she knows has a kindle or an e-reader. I'm 34 and only a couple people I know have a dedicated e-reader.

Chime in if you have one or if you have an opinion on how prevalent e-readers are!

Ch28 10-15-2012 11:00 PM

Nothing beats holding a physical book while reading. I've tried the whole reading off a tablet thing, and honestly, it felt weird as hell.

akalic 10-15-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch28 (Post 8056146)
Nothing beats holding a physical book while reading. I've tried the whole reading off a tablet thing, and honestly, it felt weird as hell.

black-and-white kindles are virtually a book..you must have tried the backlit ones...NOT the same

ac87 10-15-2012 11:16 PM

i dont own one but my friends have KOBO...they said they got it in Japan but they sell it here too

tarobbt 10-15-2012 11:16 PM

50 shades of grey? :suspicious:

otherwise kindle saves me money on txt books :fullofwin:

parm104 10-15-2012 11:50 PM

I just bought an 7" Galaxy Tablet. I bought it just for reading my texts. The benefit of having this is that I won't be narrowed down to just "Kindle Store" or the "Nook" store. I can download the apps from different readers and shop around @ different estores.

Nice to have it all sync with my other devices, ie: phone.

PS - If you rent or buy used textbooks or just textbooks from the school bookstore period, book bugs/bed bugs are becoming more and more common these days. This was my solution to be able to read texts in bed without having to worry about pests.

StylinRed 10-15-2012 11:51 PM

i bought my cousin a kobo and myself one

but both of us prefer an actual book in hand that isn't to say the kobo isn't good, i read all the free books on it (again as ive read them in actual book form)

other than that neither of us have used ours

Marco911 10-16-2012 03:41 AM

I have a Kindle. It's great if you travel because you can bring your book collection along. I prefer paper books. IPAD is too distracting to be an e-reader.

vafanculo 10-16-2012 05:43 AM

If you have an iPad, there's a pretty good site ( forgot the name) that let's you d/l any book/magazine for free. Like mentioned above, I've tried the e- publications, and it does feel weird.

I don't think I'd bother buying one. Plus, I like wasting time browsing through books at a library or at Chapters.

Majestic12 10-16-2012 06:02 AM

I have one. I'd PREFER the feel of a real book, but at the same time, if you get a kindle, you can carry your entire collection everywhere, its lightweight, and you can read it in sunlight (unlike a phone/tablet screen). I think it's great. The benefits outweigh the sole downside that I can think of, which is you don't get to hold a physical book in your hand.

PJ 10-16-2012 06:46 AM

I had a Kindle, but I sold it when I bought an iPad.

It was weird at first, but you get used to it.

I find it also depends on the book. If it's a novel and you're just reading through, then the tablets will do fine. They're thin, multi-functional, and lets face it - it's cool to have.

The down side is, if you're reading a book where you might have to flip back and forth between pages (non-fiction, self help, etc), then it becomes a pain.

Nechako87 10-16-2012 07:12 AM

I have a Kobo, and it feels like reading a real book (after you use it for awhile).

inv4zn 10-16-2012 08:16 AM

Girlfriend just bought the Sony e-reader, and she's enjoying it well so far. She reads a lot of novels so there's no flipping back and forth, and for her the benefits (lightweight & portable, vast collection, etc) outweigh the strangeness from reading off a screen.

I find the screen easier on the eyes than traditional tablets w/ LCD's...dunno if it's the brightness or contrast or what, but reading from an e-reader for extended periods of time was better.

She's 26 if it matters.

Levitron 10-16-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac87 (Post 8056163)
i dont own one but my friends have KOBO...they said they got it in Japan but they sell it here too

Kobo is actually designed in Canada! A buddy of mine works for them as a UI/UX engineer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akalic (Post 8056150)
black-and-white kindles are virtually a book..you must have tried the backlit ones...NOT the same

Yeah, backlit displays (i.e. iPads or any other Android tablets) are not the same as e-ink readers (i.e. Kobos, Kindles, Nooks).

It took me a little getting used to. Its almost like there's a learning curve for learning how to read on the things (I have a B&N Nook). Once you get a hang of it, it's not too bad. I like the idea of having 10 books in my reader while traveling.

What I find annoying is that Amazon is pretty much the only company with a wide enough store that has most of the books I want to read. Other companies, less so.

lowside67 10-16-2012 08:23 AM

I have a black and white Kindle with wifi that my ex bought me for my birthday. When I first got it I was like "awesome... something I will never use" but I have to say that I use it all the time and it's awesome. It's really easy on your eyes, it really is identical to reading a physical book which is a big deal for me. I probably buy half my books and torrent the other half, it's super easy to load stuff onto which is a plus for me. For $99 I think it gets a big thumbs up...

Mark

twixxer 10-16-2012 08:43 AM

i have a kindle, the e-ink is great. So much easier on the eyes, i can't read for extended periods on a back lit screen it feels like staring at the sun after a while.

Mr.HappySilp 10-16-2012 08:46 AM

Got a Kobo. Is great for reading on the go. But I still like real books better. However since there are lot's of free books and you can download a lot of books for free through various source it isn't too bad.

Jason00S2000 10-16-2012 09:20 AM

Damn, a lot more people than I thought on here have them!

JKam 10-16-2012 09:22 AM

I read everything on my 10" tablet.. If I like the book I'll end up buying it to put in my bookcase but I won't read from it. I like not have to flip the page, just a flick instead lol. It's also great for travelling, having 100+ books/comics on you without having the weight of 100+ books.

SilverT 10-16-2012 09:34 AM

I was in new York and new jersey a week ago and I see people using them while riding the subway
Posted via RS Mobile

Jason00S2000 10-16-2012 10:30 AM

Sweet, now I just need to cast an actress for my vignette, get it filmed, edit it into the middle of my sex tape, and then release my book :nyan:

FI-Z33 10-16-2012 10:58 AM

Reading this thread is making me want to buy one...
Any recommendations on which one to purchase?
Posted via RS Mobile

Culverin 10-16-2012 10:59 AM

I have an older sony ereader. It's smaller than a book, saves my page when i fall asleep reading. I like it, but don't love it.

The new kindle paperwhite has a backlit screen. I think to be able to read in bed with the lights off would make me love it.

Jason00S2000 10-16-2012 11:01 AM

I'll give away some free copies to RS readers when the book is released

Something like the top 10 people to guess closest to the word count get a free copy, or something

Jason00S2000 10-16-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin (Post 8056445)
I think to be able to read in bed with the lights off would make me love it.

I noticed if I try to read on my iPhone at night, the bright lights, even with the screen turned down, ends up keeping me awake longer than I intended :failed: