REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,679 Times in 660 Posts
82yr old Man falls for Russian woman 'Canadian Citizenship Trap'

kinda sad that people can take advantage of each other... this old dude is 82yrs old...yet has to go through this now...but then again, along with the nigerian buyers scam, this is one of the oldest 'scams' in the book.

Russian bride leaves elderly man with $25K welfare bill - British Columbia - CBC News

An 82-year-old B.C. pensioner is on the hook to the government for $25,000, after marrying a Russian woman who left him the day after she got permanent resident status in Canada.

“Several times I thought I will have a nervous breakdown over this,” said Heinz Munz, of Black Creek.

Munz said he believes his now ex-wife used him, with the help of her daughter, to get legal status in Canada. He is going public because the B.C. government is now forcing him to pay for social assistance she collected after she left.

“When she applied for assistance, they should have told me,” said Munz. "They never did.”

The first bill he received was for $24,899.34. He paid an initial lump sum, but still owes almost $17,000. He lives on a monthly pension income of $1,600 and owns a home.

“The warning was — if I don’t pay — they will go after my property,” said Munz, who is now making monthly payments of $500. "I was scared they would go after my property."

Under federal rules, any Canadian who marries and sponsors a foreigner is legally responsible for supporting them for three years after their spouse gets permanent residency.

If they collect social assistance in that period, the sponsor must pay it back, even if they get divorced in the interim.

“I've been stuck with that,” said Munz. “But then, how come they cannot take her permanent citizen status away?”

Met through the internet
Munz said he was a lonely widower when he met Polina Telyuk on an internet dating site in 2007. She is 10 years younger than he is. At the time, Telyuk was in the country on a temporary visa, visiting her Canadian daughter, who also lives in B.C.

Documents show, her daughter had applied to sponsor her mother to come to Canada. That process takes years, though, and it’s likely Telyuk would have had to go back to Russia to wait it out.

After a whirlwind courtship, her daughter Elena Sinenko urged Munz to marry her mother instead.

“It is very difficult…to know that [Telyuk] will not receive extension for visa…to go back to Siberia when you want to build a new relationship,” Sinenko said in a 2007 email to Munz.

“I think she was waiting that you propose to her…everything depends on your decision.”

Soon afterward, Munz married Telyuk and sponsored her to become a Canadian, a process that is faster for spouses than other relatives. He said everything seemed fine, until his wife got her permanent residency papers.

“There was no suspicion. She was so nice you wouldn’t believe it,” said Munz.

He said she refused to let him put her new documents in a safe place, as the immigration officer had advised. The next day, her daughter picked her up and she was gone.
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
I don't get it

ouch.

Snoop Dogg - Starksy & Hutch
Sushi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,435 Times in 909 Posts
Women...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
revscene beatdown crew, assemble!
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,025 Times in 1,050 Posts
I'm glad that rule is in place tax payers shouldn't be on the hook because this guy was so naive. I feel a little bad for the guy but at the same time I'm sure this was all explained to him before he sponsored her to come here.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,608 Times in 824 Posts
age 82 and getting married?..

just let your life insurance take care of that when you're done with life old grandpa,maybe you should have bought your wife from a different country you would have kept her a week longer.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I'm glad that rule is in place tax payers shouldn't be on the hook because this guy was so naive. I feel a little bad for the guy but at the same time I'm sure this was all explained to him before he sponsored her to come here.
sometimes I wish the rule would go further and maybe add on another year or two, 4 - 5 years.

I've seen cases where immigrants from countries like the Philipines and other Asian ones go on social programs after 3 years, costing us taxpayers $$.
The people that go on these programs usually come to canada under the family class immigration program and not the Investor Class.

They immigrate their whole families here with no real means to support all of them and they go on welfare. The minimum income threshold is 35K to sponsor a family over.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,058 Times in 4,015 Posts
The things people do when they are lonley, I'm sure this happens all the time but we just don't hear about it.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
So I had to give him the three piece with the soda

Thanked 5,046 Times in 2,055 Posts
$30k, dam. that's a lot of GFE he could have had to satisfy his loneliness.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,033 Times in 844 Posts
immigration can revoke her PR status based on the evidence. had it happen to a friend of mine and his wife had to wait 4 or 5yrs to come to canada even though they were married in colombia. the guy had to send pictures of the wedding, pictures when they were dating and a shit load of stuff to convince she was not marrying him for PR/money/citizenship benefits.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
immigration can revoke her PR status based on the evidence.
imagine if that happens. that 82 year old guy would probably get a call from her saying she had a change of heart and take her back

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Sometimes I like the way that they do it in Japan. You get married and want to stay in the country? Cool. Get a spousal visa. It's like PR, but it renews every 1 or 3 years (depending on your duration). IIRC you have to go for citizenship from there, but emigrating to Japan is a massive headache. I think this system would work so much better than granting PR and allowing for the abuse of the system in this way.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
RS controls my life!

82 and knows how to use the internet?! that in itself is what I find amazing lol my parents have a hard time with it let alone an 82 year old man lol
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I think the main thing here is the fact that he wasn't notified that she was on the public payroll.

I have a HUGE issue with that. I think its fine to say "you brought her here, she's your responsibility" but make her his responsibility. One fucking phone call, "hey, your wife is applying for welfare, money that you will be responsible to re-pay. Thought you should know."

But they won't do that, because this poor woman would be without a dime. But to wait for the bill to hit 30k, then ask for it is a bit of a dry hump for the old guy.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 5,111 Times in 1,107 Posts
You take a stupid person, another person who won't hesitate to take advantage of other people, and a system full of holes and you end up with ridiculous situations like this.

It's like that lady who was going to get deported while her 5 children were going to get sent to social services.

Just a series of unfortunate events, and hopefully someone with common sense works this out.

If it were up to me though, bitch would be made to pay and then deported.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #17
My homepage has been set to RS

don't marry a russian, it's a trap in general
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #18

i agree the order of events is messed up. if she got up & left within that 3 year window, why was she allowed to apply for social services? i would think the only social service she would have access to is immigration to deport her ass, since on paper it seems to be transparent that she married this guy's citizenship.

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 10-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #19
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,130 Posts
He sign the paper, he knows the risk. So now just coz he can't pay it off he decided to blow out to the media?

Sorry but I want to tax dollar to spend on something that I need. He is fully aware of this so pay up and shut up.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #20
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
My favorite part, is you expect her to be a russian bombshell, but she's 72 herself.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #21
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
he probably thought she wouldnt leave him because hes 72years old.. haha
Old 10-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #22
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,172 Times in 862 Posts
It's actually very hard for CIC to consider revoking a PR status of someone unless the grandpa can show any evidence that the woman had planned all along (I.E: Before they got married) faking all this to gain PR status.

The rules are in place so that people who legitimately want to sponsor their families can get easier/faster processing. (The government, having a lower responsibility, grants PR status easier/less checking)

And the grandpa should have thought it through before signing those papers. He got messed up, but it was his choice.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #23
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
don't marry, it's a trap in general
fixed.
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #24
i like gifs

Thanked 7,452 Times in 2,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
don't marry a russian, it's a trap in general
Quote + your name =
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2012, 12:36 AM   #25
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Should revoke her PR status if proven. The one thing I hate more than anything else are leeches.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd (rip)
07' BMW 323iA (sold)
05' BMW Z4 5spd (sold)
06' BMW 330i 6spd (sold)
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5

Motorcycles:
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6