REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   82yr old Man falls for Russian woman 'Canadian Citizenship Trap' (https://www.revscene.net/forums/675574-82yr-old-man-falls-russian-woman-canadian-citizenship-trap.html)

Acura604 10-22-2012 11:23 AM

82yr old Man falls for Russian woman 'Canadian Citizenship Trap'

kinda sad that people can take advantage of each other... this old dude is 82yrs old...yet has to go through this now...but then again, along with the nigerian buyers scam, this is one of the oldest 'scams' in the book.

Russian bride leaves elderly man with $25K welfare bill - British Columbia - CBC News

An 82-year-old B.C. pensioner is on the hook to the government for $25,000, after marrying a Russian woman who left him the day after she got permanent resident status in Canada.

“Several times I thought I will have a nervous breakdown over this,” said Heinz Munz, of Black Creek.

Munz said he believes his now ex-wife used him, with the help of her daughter, to get legal status in Canada. He is going public because the B.C. government is now forcing him to pay for social assistance she collected after she left.

“When she applied for assistance, they should have told me,” said Munz. "They never did.”

The first bill he received was for $24,899.34. He paid an initial lump sum, but still owes almost $17,000. He lives on a monthly pension income of $1,600 and owns a home.

“The warning was — if I don’t pay — they will go after my property,” said Munz, who is now making monthly payments of $500. "I was scared they would go after my property."

Under federal rules, any Canadian who marries and sponsors a foreigner is legally responsible for supporting them for three years after their spouse gets permanent residency.

If they collect social assistance in that period, the sponsor must pay it back, even if they get divorced in the interim.

“I've been stuck with that,” said Munz. “But then, how come they cannot take her permanent citizen status away?”

Met through the internet
Munz said he was a lonely widower when he met Polina Telyuk on an internet dating site in 2007. She is 10 years younger than he is. At the time, Telyuk was in the country on a temporary visa, visiting her Canadian daughter, who also lives in B.C.

Documents show, her daughter had applied to sponsor her mother to come to Canada. That process takes years, though, and it’s likely Telyuk would have had to go back to Russia to wait it out.

After a whirlwind courtship, her daughter Elena Sinenko urged Munz to marry her mother instead.

“It is very difficult…to know that [Telyuk] will not receive extension for visa…to go back to Siberia when you want to build a new relationship,” Sinenko said in a 2007 email to Munz.

“I think she was waiting that you propose to her…everything depends on your decision.”

Soon afterward, Munz married Telyuk and sponsored her to become a Canadian, a process that is faster for spouses than other relatives. He said everything seemed fine, until his wife got her permanent residency papers.

“There was no suspicion. She was so nice you wouldn’t believe it,” said Munz.

He said she refused to let him put her new documents in a safe place, as the immigration officer had advised. The next day, her daughter picked her up and she was gone.

Sushi604 10-22-2012 11:32 AM

ouch.

Gumby 10-22-2012 11:36 AM

Women...

snails 10-22-2012 11:40 AM

http://www.transformer-ivan.net/wp-c.../07/intact.jpg

Redlines_Daily 10-22-2012 11:41 AM

revscene beatdown crew, assemble! :troll:

quasi 10-22-2012 11:43 AM

I'm glad that rule is in place tax payers shouldn't be on the hook because this guy was so naive. I feel a little bad for the guy but at the same time I'm sure this was all explained to him before he sponsored her to come here.

Mr.Money 10-22-2012 11:47 AM

age 82 and getting married?..

just let your life insurance take care of that when you're done with life old grandpa,maybe you should have bought your wife from a different country you would have kept her a week longer.

iEatClams 10-22-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 8061625)
I'm glad that rule is in place tax payers shouldn't be on the hook because this guy was so naive. I feel a little bad for the guy but at the same time I'm sure this was all explained to him before he sponsored her to come here.

sometimes I wish the rule would go further and maybe add on another year or two, 4 - 5 years.

I've seen cases where immigrants from countries like the Philipines and other Asian ones go on social programs after 3 years, costing us taxpayers $$.
The people that go on these programs usually come to canada under the family class immigration program and not the Investor Class.

They immigrate their whole families here with no real means to support all of them and they go on welfare. The minimum income threshold is 35K to sponsor a family over.

murd0c 10-22-2012 12:00 PM

The things people do when they are lonley, I'm sure this happens all the time but we just don't hear about it.

GLOW 10-22-2012 12:38 PM

$30k, dam. that's a lot of GFE he could have had to satisfy his loneliness.

tiger_handheld 10-22-2012 12:39 PM

immigration can revoke her PR status based on the evidence. had it happen to a friend of mine and his wife had to wait 4 or 5yrs to come to canada even though they were married in colombia. the guy had to send pictures of the wedding, pictures when they were dating and a shit load of stuff to convince she was not marrying him for PR/money/citizenship benefits.

GLOW 10-22-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8061663)
immigration can revoke her PR status based on the evidence.

imagine if that happens. that 82 year old guy would probably get a call from her saying she had a change of heart and take her back

Graeme S 10-22-2012 01:14 PM

Sometimes I like the way that they do it in Japan. You get married and want to stay in the country? Cool. Get a spousal visa. It's like PR, but it renews every 1 or 3 years (depending on your duration). IIRC you have to go for citizenship from there, but emigrating to Japan is a massive headache. I think this system would work so much better than granting PR and allowing for the abuse of the system in this way.

eurochevy 10-22-2012 01:33 PM

82 and knows how to use the internet?! that in itself is what I find amazing lol my parents have a hard time with it let alone an 82 year old man lol

Gridlock 10-22-2012 02:31 PM

I think the main thing here is the fact that he wasn't notified that she was on the public payroll.

I have a HUGE issue with that. I think its fine to say "you brought her here, she's your responsibility" but make her his responsibility. One fucking phone call, "hey, your wife is applying for welfare, money that you will be responsible to re-pay. Thought you should know."

But they won't do that, because this poor woman would be without a dime. But to wait for the bill to hit 30k, then ask for it is a bit of a dry hump for the old guy.

inv4zn 10-22-2012 02:42 PM

You take a stupid person, another person who won't hesitate to take advantage of other people, and a system full of holes and you end up with ridiculous situations like this.

It's like that lady who was going to get deported while her 5 children were going to get sent to social services.

Just a series of unfortunate events, and hopefully someone with common sense works this out.

If it were up to me though, bitch would be made to pay and then deported.

drunkrussian 10-22-2012 02:59 PM

don't marry a russian, it's a trap in general

GLOW 10-22-2012 03:01 PM

i agree the order of events is messed up. if she got up & left within that 3 year window, why was she allowed to apply for social services? i would think the only social service she would have access to is immigration to deport her ass, since on paper it seems to be transparent that she married this guy's citizenship.

Mr.HappySilp 10-22-2012 03:50 PM

He sign the paper, he knows the risk. So now just coz he can't pay it off he decided to blow out to the media?

Sorry but I want to tax dollar to spend on something that I need. He is fully aware of this so pay up and shut up.

Gridlock 10-22-2012 04:38 PM

My favorite part, is you expect her to be a russian bombshell, but she's 72 herself.

FerrariEnzo 10-22-2012 04:42 PM

he probably thought she wouldnt leave him because hes 72years old.. haha

Hehe 10-22-2012 05:42 PM

It's actually very hard for CIC to consider revoking a PR status of someone unless the grandpa can show any evidence that the woman had planned all along (I.E: Before they got married) faking all this to gain PR status.

The rules are in place so that people who legitimately want to sponsor their families can get easier/faster processing. (The government, having a lower responsibility, grants PR status easier/less checking)

And the grandpa should have thought it through before signing those papers. He got messed up, but it was his choice.

PiuYi 10-22-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkrussian (Post 8061784)
don't marry, it's a trap in general

fixed.

Ch28 10-22-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkrussian (Post 8061784)
don't marry a russian, it's a trap in general

Quote + your name = :mamoru:

bing 10-23-2012 12:36 AM

Should revoke her PR status if proven. The one thing I hate more than anything else are leeches.