REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Korean made Nong-Shim noodles found to contain Carcinogen (https://www.revscene.net/forums/675732-korean-made-nong-shim-noodles-found-contain-carcinogen.html)

SpeedStars 10-25-2012 03:38 PM

Korean made Nong-Shim noodles found to contain Carcinogen

Arirang News
Quote:

Korea's health authorities have ordered a recall of Nongshim's instant noodle products found to contain cancer-causing substances.
The recall could affect SIX of the ramyeon noodle brands produced by Nongshim.
The Korea Food and Drug Administration says brands including "Neoguri," and "Sang Sang noodle".. were found to contain inappropriate levels of benzopyrene.
Taiwan has also taken two Nongshim products off its shelves.
Benzopyrene is known to cause stomach and lung cancer or birth defects if consumed for a long period.
Nongshim, Korea's largest instant-noodle maker, says its products are safe to eat and that the batches in question have already been destroyed.

OCT 26, 2012
For those that don't know what Benzopyrene is, it's that black shit that you see when you burn food. If consumed in large quantity / overtime it can raise the chances of acquiring cancer.

Will probably throw away most of my korean noodle stash :okay:

Tim Budong 10-25-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedStars (Post 8064470)
Arirang News

For those that don't know what Benzopyrene is, it's that black shit that you see when you burn food. If consumed in large quantity / overtime it can raise the chances of acquiring cancer.

Will probably throw away most of my korean noodle stash :okay:

i hate nong shim noodles
all about this for me

http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/img/p...original_a.jpg

shawnly1000 10-25-2012 03:43 PM

Wondering if this is just an "off batch" or do all batches contain benzopyrene just at "safe levels"

StylinRed 10-25-2012 03:47 PM

ah thanks for finding an article

my aunt told me about it yesterday but when i googled all i could find were reports from 2011 that sparked investigations

(she saw the BLACK brand on the news)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6qDd7VCp5e...n+Black+pk.jpg

JKam 10-25-2012 03:58 PM

so.. I have a huge stash of this shit.. How are we supposed to know if it was part of the recall...? Literally have a box of the regular, black and a couple of the neoguri ones.. :pokerface:

FerrariEnzo 10-25-2012 04:06 PM

good god.. I had 2 bowls/day and finished my stash of 10 boxes (Costco sale) last week... Im gona die!

SpeedStars 10-25-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKam (Post 8064481)
so.. I have a huge stash of this shit.. How are we supposed to know if it was part of the recall...? Literally have a box of the regular, black and a couple of the neoguri ones.. :pokerface:

If you got them from T&T idk if you should worry about them. Heard on the radio today they contacted one of the guys at T&T and the neoguri's are made in USA. Not really sure though...I've got some of the SamYang ones which aren't Nong Shim, but other instant noodles made in Korea may have higher than normal levels of benopyrene so i'm just probably going to chuck them away.

PS it's not the noodles that has the benopyrene, just the flavour packs. But if a factory had excess levels of benopyrene; i wouldn't trust em with any type of food :concentrate:

StylinRed 10-25-2012 04:11 PM

that's not true if you look at the "Made In" on their nongshim noodles some of them are Made in Korea particularly the cup ones

but why risk it anyways? who's to say their US plant doesn't use the same chemicals? after all this took 1 year for them to "investigate" and say "yes there is benzopyrene"

BossFrancis 10-25-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 8064486)
good god.. I had 2 bowls/day and finished my stash of 10 boxes (Costco sale) last week... Im gona die!

Wrong. You're going to develop cancer then eventually die. :troll:

twitchyzero 10-25-2012 04:22 PM

i think it all depends how much they are talking about...

piece of shit article doesn't include what they consider "inappropriate"

MSG itself found in all instant noodles are to be considered carcinogenic but takes shit tons and years and years of eating it to have a high risk

drunkrussian 10-25-2012 04:27 PM

i kinda Always assumed shit like this will cause cancer. honestly if ur eating shit like that r u expecting it to not be unhealthy and fucked up in some way? im not being preachy here as i eat shit like this too. im just saying - most things we do nowdays will cause cancer and they just hvent investigated it yet
Posted via RS Mobile

StylinRed 10-25-2012 04:35 PM

^^ yes that's true anything with chemical preservatives is :heckno:

but when something bad is said to be too bad then fuck that

Gnomes 10-25-2012 04:36 PM

I thought ALL instant noodle carry the risk of cancer. But I guess with this Nong Shim you will get cancer faster.

dachinesedude 10-25-2012 04:40 PM

cancer or no cancer, people shouldnt be eating this shit anyways, empty carbs plus toooons of sodium

knight604 10-25-2012 04:42 PM

Neoguri is good :)
Posted via RS Mobile

Qmx323 10-25-2012 04:45 PM

Chapaghetti ftw yo

Ludepower 10-25-2012 04:58 PM

this news is going to create panic in the asian community...

AzNightmare 10-25-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludepower (Post 8064551)
this news is going to create panic in the asian community...

that... or :fuckthatshit:

ts14 10-25-2012 05:09 PM

made in korea... kdm food...

Wongtouski 10-25-2012 05:11 PM

Indomie time.

Spidey 10-25-2012 05:13 PM

breathing the air these days "may cause cancer". Seriously, what doesn't "cause" cancer these days. I would avoid all instant noodles because it's crap food, period. Not just because this one particular brand MAY cause cancer.

rageguy 10-25-2012 05:26 PM

Indo noodles are safe! Mi goreng so good.

MrGoodbar 10-25-2012 05:32 PM

Shit, I love Nongshim, especially the blue top bowls with an egg.

LiquidTurbo 10-25-2012 05:39 PM

Don't care. Inventor of instant noodles is 96

Momofuku Ando - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

haha jk. If this is true, than all of South Korea will get cancer from this shit.:)

I was in a korean supermarket when I took this photos of a lady's shopping cart. lol.

http://i.imgur.com/Q5Ptb.jpg

Phil@rise 10-25-2012 05:47 PM

All instant fast food is detrimental to your health.