REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #126
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBettah View Post
Honestly, even looking at the worst pictures, it doesn't seem all that bad.

I was thinking it was going to be a New Orleans grade disaster. 26 person death toll? In an area that has 30 million people? Those sound like standard numbers to me on a regular night. In fact, there was probably less deaths than a usual day since most people were off the roads.
Not that bad? .....

Sandy storm update: New York City subway 'could be shut down for 3 weeks' | Mail Online

NYC IIRC runs alot of infrastructure underground.. Pumping out water is a very slow process, and salt water damage, if not cleaned off steel and other metals, will rust. Thus causing MASSIVE damage in afew years when things decide to jsut CRUMBLE.

I'm thinking of the tunnels and especially this subway..

Let alone "The Jersey Shore" getting wiped completely off the map.
Advertisement
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #127
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post

Let alone "The Jersey Shore" getting wiped completely off the map.
danny_d19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2012, 01:53 PM   #128
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
I hope the cast is safe........

radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #129
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Old 10-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #130
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Watching the first few minutes of that just made me stupider.
ME WATCH VIDEO. ME SMART LIKE TRACTOR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #131
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
Staten Island got hit pretty hard:

Quote:
source
Staten Island, just a ferry ride from Manhattan but often seen as the neglected stepchild of the New York metropolis, apparently was the city's deadliest zone in Superstorm Sandy – accounting for half the human toll.

On Thursday the bodies of two young boys who were swept away from their mother’s grasp during the storm surge were recovered, NBC News reported. A missing husband and wife were also found dead Thursday, NBCNewYork.com reported.

That brought the toll on the island to 19, NBCNewYork.com reported. On Thursday, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Superstorm Sandy is responsible for the deaths of at least 37 New Yorkers.
At a news briefing Thursday morning, elected officials pleaded for help for Staten Island.

Borough President James Molinaro blasted the Red Cross as an “absolute disgrace” and urged the public to stop giving to the venerable institution.
Asked by NBC News to explain his comment, Molinari said, “because the devastation in Staten Island, the lack of a response.”

“You know, I went to a shelter Monday night after the storm. People were coming in with no socks, with no shoes,” Molinaro said. “They were in desperate need. Their housing was destroyed. They were crying. Where was the Red Cross? Isn’t that their function?”

Indeed, Staten Island, which took a direct blow from Sandy, is a scene of immeasurable misery and utter devastation, with homes obliterated, others off their foundations in addition to widespread flooding.
“We are heading into the area where there is major destruction now,” Red Cross spokeswoman Anne Marie Borrego told NBC News late Thursday.
The Red Cross, Borrego said, has five emergency response stations set up at New Dorp Lane in the borough and the organization’s New York CEO, Josh Lockwood, is on the scene.

While looking over the wreckage of his cousin's house on Thursday, Tom Monigan talked about his cousin George Dresch, who died in the surge of water with his daughter Angela, 13, on Staten Island. George Dresch's wife Patricia was reported to be in critical condition at the hospital.

"Not in a million years, did I expect to see this," Monigan told NBC News. "This is unbelievable, I mean for George to lose his life and his daughter and his wife to be in the condition she's in it's a sin, it's unreal, I can't believe I'm looking at this. Terrible."
"You can replace this stuff, but it's what happens to people," Monigan said, "it changes their life forever and it's terrible. People are worried because they don't have electricity, Jesus, this is the real deal right here."

Rescue workers who are part of a task force of searchers gathered on Staten Island on Thursday have fanned out with maps to search the hardest hit areas in the city. Large trucks and other equipment with Homeland Security decals began arriving late in the day on Sunday.

The New York Police Department officials said the boys -- 2 and 4 -- were carried away by floodwaters Monday night on Father Capodanno Boulevard. Their mother had spent the night trying to get help, The New York Daily News reported, to no avail.
The Associated Press identified the boys as Brandon Moore, 2, and Connor Moore, 4, and their mother as Glenda Moore.

The Glenda Moore managed to free the boys from their car seats and tried to hold onto the boys, but the force of the water ripped them from her grasp. She had to swim for her life.

“She was holding onto them, and the waves just kept coming and crashing and they were under,” the boys' aunt, who was not named, told the Daily News. “It went over their heads … she had them in her arms, and a wave came and swept them out of her arms.”
According to the Moore's sister, Moore had pounded on doors for help during the height of the storm, but no one was willing to help her.
About two dozen NYPD officers had been searching for the boys. Their bodies were discovered in a marsh early Thursday, NBCNewYork.com reported, about 15 yards from each other up against debris and a tree near where the SUV was overturned from the storm surge.

Some 470,000 people live in the Staten Island borough of New York, according to census figures, and many areas of the borough, were spared.
The Staten Island museum and zoo were both operating on Thursday, and ferry services was expected to resume in a day or two, according to the island's tourism website.
When the warning goes out to evacuate, you better damn well do it. I'm sorry for this mother's loss, but what circumstance has her out there with 2 little children?
Old 11-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #132
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Staten Island got hit pretty hard:

When the warning goes out to evacuate, you better damn well do it. I'm sorry for this mother's loss, but what circumstance has her out there with 2 little children?
Fuck that, i'm gonna stick around and have some fun like that guy on the seadoo did.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #133
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Borough President James Molinaro blasted the Red Cross as an “absolute disgrace” and urged the public to stop giving to the venerable institution.
Asked by NBC News to explain his comment, Molinari said, “because the devastation in Staten Island, the lack of a response.”

“You know, I went to a shelter Monday night after the storm. People were coming in with no socks, with no shoes,” Molinaro said. “They were in desperate need. Their housing was destroyed. They were crying. Where was the Red Cross? Isn’t that their function?”
Yeah, because they weren't needed anywhere else in a region of 30-40 million people; how dare they not mobilize their entire force to help one island of a half-million that should have been long since evacuated!

What a douche.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #134
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,552 Times in 1,155 Posts
more photos of the storm here

Hurricane Sandy: The Superstorm - The Big Picture - Boston.com
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #135
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #136
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
there should be more positive rappers like KRS.

murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: