REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Lyoness? scam? yay or nay?

Would like to just throw this out there to see what other people have to say about this cash back company and if they have had first had experience with them. Pretty much my dad has been non stop talking about this company recently and how he's not too sure as to if this company is really as great as it sounds! After listening to this awesome new business venture it almost sounds too good to be true and like a pyramid scam. I've been doing my own research and so far it just seems like both sides have fair arguments. So here i am reaching out to all of you, have you heard of this company? any good comments? advice? tips? is this a bad investment?additional comments or POVs? LMK please! If it means my dad is gonna be wasting a shit ton of money please help me out!!

Thanks!
Advertisement

Last edited by jlambs; 11-05-2012 at 06:49 PM.
jlambs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
It is a pyramid scheme, and your dad is a fool. Try to help him if you can.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
listen to what the Dragons have to say on the Den:

Lyoness - Dragons' Den - CBC Player

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

^ LOL

Well deserved.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Wow that guy must get made fun of so much after that aired...

What a bitch of an ex-wife lol
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
LOL
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

thanks for the tips! yeah in all honesty i think my dad just doesn't really know where to put his money and sooner or later its gonna be all gone. anybody here that has joined lyoness??
jlambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
I didn't know about Lyoness, but from its website, I find that it's trying to attract as many joe6packs as it can for its business model (promising great things for regular people).

And yet, when I take a look at its business model, I couldn't make any simple sense out of it after spending a couple of minutes reading.

That can tell you that this is not a good program to be in, no matter what it does.

The reason is simple, if its target market is regular joes, why on earth would they make their idea so complicated that an average joe can't understand? There's only one reason... they want to take your money without you knowing.

If any business idea doesn't make sense in your head, don't invest in it.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
listen to what the Dragons have to say on the Den:

Lyoness - Dragons' Den - CBC Player
teaching business to 5 of the most successful entrepreneurs in Canada? I don't think so. Get your dad away from this company. Shit just doesn't look legit to me.
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

This sounds like Amway, Vector marketing, and all those other companies lol
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
Ohh Amway

Back in January I had one of my close friends who was all into that business stuff and how he heavily believes in the fact that he'll strike it rich and retire in a couple years. He got me into it, and after some serious insight and convincing from my girlfriend and friends, I backed out less than a week later I realized what it all incorporates, and it'll take years before anybody sees some real progress. As for my friend? I haven't spoken to him for almost a year now, and some of his bridges have been burned because of all these shenanigans.

Unrealistic and sketchy as fuck, keep your dad away from that kinda stuff
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

These pyramid schemes are a joke. Honestly people who are a part of it are convinced and will convince that this is not a pyramid scheme because of the psychological impact of negativity surrounding the phrase. They will re-phrase it like "partnership" "independant contractor" "job enrichment" "full of opportunities".

In the end, just like Arlene in DD said, "it's the analogy to describe it" that really matters. No one cares if its definitively a pyramid scheme or not, but the process of how the system works already shows that its a pyramid; no doubt.

I almost got sucked into Vector when they said all those promises of making $17+commission/hr. Honestly its too good to be true, but at the same time you really want to believe it so you get sucked in. It's actually worse than being a saleman IMO because of what it can really do to someone long term with that psychological persuasion versus a salesperson convincing you to buy something you need and less $$$ on the line. I'm in sales so that's my standpoint in this because the things that think manipulative techniques can do to someone can result in more devastation than anyone can imagine.
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #13
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I was sadly almost tricked by a so called "friend" into these 'prymaid scheme'
He randomly ask me on Facebook if I wanna get rich with him.
I meet him at timmies and hes there with another dude. Both in suits asking me if I wanna be a millionaire.

Red flags keep going off. Why the fuk would you offer me a business opportunity too good to be true when I barely really know you. The whole time I'm listening them babble on about striking rich...I had no clue wat the fuk they were selling. All my questions were vaguely answered and I was told to come to the next meeting.

Anyways I find out it's a Rich Dad, Poor Door scam.
I never showed up to their next meeting and told my 'friend' dont ever call me again. This left a really bitter taste in my mouth because my time was wasted, I felt my intelligence was disrespected and couldn't help feel sorry for this friend being suckered into this.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #14
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
I feel bad because one of my old friend's just recently got himself roped into this. He truly believes this will make him rich, and he even had one of those packages he showed me, telling me how this isn't a pyramid scam, and it's all well thought out, it was a "business opportunity."

All the money and expenses are self paid, even buying yourself into the pyramid is self paid, in what way will any of this pay off, unless you have friends that are willing to cash in for your pay cheque? You'd need some seriously stupid friends that are just as naive.

I've had a similar experience myself around 3-4 years ago, I met an ex-friend of mine at his house because a partnership arose and it was a completely safe way of get rich over night scheme. Straight up told him this was a pyramid scam and you're going to get buttfucked so fast, so hard. It was for one of those Accuberry power drinks or whatnot, and tasted like absolute shit. Couldn't really take him face-face value any more after this, just kind of drifted off. To this day, he's in the negative with this pyramid scheme.

All in all, money doesn't come quick to you in this world, unless you are willing to invest and contour your time & effort more then the average person. Or you have the luck of the irish and win Lottomax.
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #15
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
lol i think the general rule of thumb is if someone promises you amazing returns on an investment, and it's not illegal, it's probably a scam
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #16
I don't get it

lol at the guy buying in for 10k then trying to sell it to 5 of the most business savy people in canada for 35k each when he has seen no roi! some people are so dumb
2007 civic si coupe turbo with 535whp on the mustang dyno (sold)
2010 Dodge ram 1500 quad cab slt (sold)
2003 j's racing s2000 comptech supercharged (parted)
2008 civic si coupe (traded)
2006 toyota 4runner limited (traded)
92 civic eg hatch turbo d16 11.7 quarter (parted)
90 eagle talon (rip)
89 toyota celica gts (sold)
08civicsi_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #17
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

got dragged to one for ACN last year. not sure they are legit or not but i was sketched out by how much of a cult the group was like at the meeting so i left early.
TPMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #18
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
I was sadly almost tricked by a so called "friend" into these 'prymaid scheme'
He randomly ask me on Facebook if I wanna get rich with him.
I meet him at timmies and hes there with another dude. Both in suits asking me if I wanna be a millionaire.

Red flags keep going off. Why the fuk would you offer me a business opportunity too good to be true when I barely really know you. The whole time I'm listening them babble on about striking rich...I had no clue wat the fuk they were selling. All my questions were vaguely answered and I was told to come to the next meeting.

Anyways I find out it's a Rich Dad, Poor Door scam.
I never showed up to their next meeting and told my 'friend' dont ever call me again. This left a really bitter taste in my mouth because my time was wasted, I felt my intelligence was disrespected and couldn't help feel sorry for this friend being suckered into this.
LOL. Yeah, I had a former co-worker who called me up for a "business opportunity". We met up for lunch, and lo and behold, there is a stranger that is joining us. I had quit to start my own business, so of course, I was prime material.

So they start, with their not-a-pyramid pyramid. They break it into smaller pyramids. Awesome. Whatever. I think it was Primerica, where they are asking to burn through your closest contacts and family members and sell them their shit. Then you are on your own to get them to pimp for you.

So then they start talking about the benefits of doing this. Freedom was a word that was used a lot. So I touched on that. I'm like, "so, of the 3 people at this table, the 2 people that are talking to me about freedom need to leave here and go back to work. To a job. So they make income. They can't even make the leap to be unemployed. I can sit here and get wasted. In fact-lets. Lets sit here and get shit faced drunk, and then because you are rolling in so much cash from your business, you can pick up the tab-you know, to help out a struggling entrepreneur. Don't worry, I'll get you back, because if we sit here and get drunk, and you pick up my bill, I'll owe you one. And I'll sign up."

Shockingly, they didn't like my offer, and I never heard from them again.

People get so high on the idea of the business, but they never get into the execution of the idea. You can't have it all. You can't work your 9-5, and then talk freedom to your potentials. Quit your job and live it. Then you can talk.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #19
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

BTW Amway is still in buisness under another name after the Feds shut them down for Pyramid schemes.

i think Avon and Tupperware parties are the same. person #1 recruits others to sell for them. the person on the bottom gets nothing, the person on top gets the lions share.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #20
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
lol, I had a buddy bring me to an Amway meeting last year

The guy who was giving out the speech claimed to have sold millions of records, became a successful business man, etcetc. I went home and googled his name, only to find nothing come up.
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #21
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Onetime a buddy took me to a meeting at the Sheraton in Surrey. It was a pyramid scheme for telephone services. All the presenters were cops. Who is going to say anything bad to a police officer? I just sat there with my mouth shut. My buddy signed up under his girlfriend. Did not make any real money. the relationship didn't last either.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #22
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
i had a friend jump on that monavi scheme and try to get all of us involved in it, telling us how the owners all drove up in lambo's and whatnot, convincing us he would own one in a few months... turns out he made like 120$ and lost like 700$ and never got his lambo hahaha
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #23
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

There's someone who has a storefront/office for Monavie on Lougheed hwy near the Production Way skytrain (I think). I wonder how much money they are losing to have it :S
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #24
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
i thought it was going to be more like how amazon and redflagdeals work things

where if someone shops at amazon using your link to amazon you get a cut

and how on redflag you get a rebate if you shop at respective sites through redflagdeals (and redflag gets a cut)

guess not

Last edited by StylinRed; 11-06-2012 at 02:13 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #25
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
I'm not even friends with people who do this shit.

Last edited by knight604; 11-06-2012 at 02:07 PM.
knight604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: