REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
I don't doubt that these can work, but you gotta put in a lot of time and effort, plus, have really thick skin and be a people person.

Depending on how pushy and desperate you are, you will lose friends. I got convinced from an old co-worker to meet at timmies for a business venture. I knew right away it was gonna be a pyramid (he denied it) but I went just cause I was bored. Listened to the spiel, told him what I thought, told him he would lose friends, and never answered his call again, lol.

Funny how people you don't talk to always seem to have you in mind when a 'great oppurtunity' comes along.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #27
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Amway
Quixtar
Mona Vie
Primerica
Tupperware

The list goes on. If it has "Sign up people and you get a chunk of what they get and the person above you gets a chunk of what you get", it's shit. The people who get in right at the beginning make fucking fortunes off of the people who they churn through at the bottom.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #28
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Amway
Quixtar
Mona Vie
Primerica
Tupperware

The list goes on. If it has "Sign up people and you get a chunk of what they get and the person above you gets a chunk of what you get", it's shit. The people who get in right at the beginning make fucking fortunes off of the people who they churn through at the bottom.

"for few to be rich, many must be poor"

you gotta rip alot of people off and so do they, and those below them to go anywhere at all...
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #29
My homepage has been set to RS

wow this shit is fucked! One of my friends I knew from highschool is trying to get me to do this shit as well! You guys all described the scenarios he is trying to put me in...With him trying to get me to come to his seminars and meet the vice president of the company blah blah blah! He also said to me the other day that he would offer me $500 dollars if I came to the seminar and if I thought I was wasting my time and wasnt worth it. But I honestly doubt this company is legit seems way to much of a pyramid scheme to me. Btw he tries to contact me every time he comes to Van saying I should come to the seminars and to join my company, that I will make shit loads of money ect...
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #30
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabatron View Post
wow this shit is fucked! One of my friends I knew from highschool is trying to get me to do this shit as well! You guys all described the scenarios he is trying to put me in...With him trying to get me to come to his seminars and meet the vice president of the company blah blah blah! He also said to me the other day that he would offer me $500 dollars if I came to the seminar and if I thought I was wasting my time and wasnt worth it. But I honestly doubt this company is legit seems way to much of a pyramid scheme to me. Btw he tries to contact me every time he comes to Van saying I should come to the seminars and to join my company, that I will make shit loads of money ect...
Take the $500,attend the seminar and when it's over,tell him you're not interested....but keep the money of course.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #31
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,698 Times in 1,626 Posts
It's pretty alarming how many people come across this type of thing.

I had a friend who was heavily into this as well, but she never tried to "recruit" me...I guess I made it pretty clear. Not sure how she's doing though...

I've heard news stories in Korea how families were destroyed because a parent ruined their family by "investing" their entire savings, etc...one story a guy murdered his wife because she did that.

Scary stuff.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #32
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I've seen many of these multi level marketing businesses; Mona Vie, WFG, Primerica, ACN, Ariix, Amway (also known as Quixtar) including this one Lyoness. They all follow the same structure of networking your friends, family, coworkers..etc etc. I always try and keep an open mind. One thing I do like about Lyoness is that you're not forced to sell a specific product. Mona Vie has its juices, Primerica has its insurances, ACN has their phone services. etc.

From what I know..

As of now, since they are still starting out, the purchases are made online on their special site where they have a list of signed up merchants (Canadian Tire, Petro Canada, Karmaloop, Northface) to name a few. Basically the same format as "greatcanadianrebates.ca" and you get cashback/rebates on the purchases you make through them. I haven't made any purchases yet though. As I don't really shop online..

Lyoness is apparently really big in Europe where it originated. Started to spread out to the US & Canada in the past year or two while still sorting out some legal issues here in Canada. Also spreading out to Asia and South America.

To become a "premium" member a minimum payment is $225.00 which I think is 3 units? (75/unit) To earn money you have to spend with their merchants or sign up other people as a free/premium member. As a member if they use the card, you get a cut and I think it goes one more leg down?

I know all this because of the person who I signed up under, keeps me updated with the latest news and shit. He seems to be really concentrated into it and I know he's put down close to 10 grand in this. I want to see if this will take him anywhere. Company is still small and unheard of for most people, it can go either way from here.

I'm in no way defending/promoting Lyoness, just giving you the info that I know.
thegentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #33
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Thanks for everybody's help! Some great advice in here and I'm ready for a sit down with my dad. In all honest my parents used to do quixstar/anyway too and I think they lost a lot of money and I hope he learnt a lesson and smarten up about lyoness. Too bad he's a stubborn old Chinese man. Thanks again keep your comments or intel of lyoness flowing!
Posted via RS Mobile
jlambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #34
Need to Seek Professional Help

the lyoness guy looks greasy haha
danizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #35
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
I meet him at timmies and hes there with another dude. Both in suits asking me if I wanna be a millionaire.
Wearing a suit to a meeting held at Tim Hortons speaks to the intelligence of those involved in Lyoness. If you can't afford to host a client at a respectable establishment or office, a $150 bag suit isn't going to seal the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
listen to what the Dragons have to say on the Den:

I love his suit.

Great hair too.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #36
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 2,532 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlambs View Post
Would like to just throw this out there to see what other people have to say about this cash back company and if they have had first had experience with them. Pretty much my dad has been non stop talking about this company recently and how he's not too sure as to if this company is really as great as it sounds! After listening to this awesome new business venture it almost sounds too good to be true and like a pyramid scam. I've been doing my own research and so far it just seems like both sides have fair arguments. So here i am reaching out to all of you, have you heard of this company? any good comments? advice? tips? is this a bad investment?additional comments or POVs? LMK please! If it means my dad is gonna be wasting a shit ton of money please help me out!!

Thanks!
hope your dad hasnt fallen too deep yet
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #37

I always go by the old saying..." if it sounds too good to be true,it most always is".There is no quick way to make "millions" like these scammers claim,not legit money anyways.

The honest people that make it rich have worked their ass off and made tons of sacrifices along the way to get to where they are.They did not get where they are at by meeting two people in suits and being asked if they want to make millions,shit if it was that easy,RS would be full of millionares.

The people who runs these types of operations are nothing more than white collar criminals.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2012, 03:55 AM   #38
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,563 Times in 171 Posts
Few people I know have tried to talk me into joining their pyramid scheme that they got suckered into. Everytime they try to convince, shit sounds too good and convincing 'til I hear the "there's a fee to join/start and you make commission off others who join under you". lulz
Fappin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #39
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,820 Times in 2,505 Posts
that dragon's den episode is pretty awesome. totally exposes it to people that potentially will be fooled. leave it to kevin to set people straight

but actually it was arlene that was in attack mode and kevin was kind of leaning back chillin' which was kind of cool to watch

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #40
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Amway
Quixtar
Mona Vie
Primerica
Tupperware

The 2 that people always push on me are
ACN
World Financial Group

It's funny, I get dragged into these meetings by people who are so positive that they're going to be making 5 figures a month.

I tell them I'm not going to join. But next year they can rub their millions in my face.

Sure enough, not a single dollar was made - by any of the ~15 people I know who joined.

My mom came home with a pamphlet one day. I immediately asked her if she joined anything or paid anyone any money. She said no. Without saying another word, I took her pamphlet and shoved it into the paper shredder.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #41
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
im actually surprised how many people STILL go for this kinda shit,

how long have these things been around?

apparently someone at the top is getting rich because they keep coming out with new ones.

The whole mon avi thing a few years back was HUGE, the few guys that were at the top actually did make tons and tons of fuckin loot,

because they jumped on the whole acai berry thing. One of my teachers tried to get me into it,

im like really? your a fucking educator and your into mon avi pyramid? Tried to convince me it wasnt a pyramid.
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post
im actually surprised how many people STILL go for this kinda shit,

how long have these things been around?

apparently someone at the top is getting rich because they keep coming out with new ones.

The whole mon avi thing a few years back was HUGE, the few guys that were at the top actually did make tons and tons of fuckin loot,

because they jumped on the whole acai berry thing. One of my teachers tried to get me into it,

im like really? your a fucking educator and your into mon avi pyramid? Tried to convince me it wasnt a pyramid.
Long as there are people around that are looking to make a quick buck,there will always be these types of scams.The sad thing is,many people still fall for this type of shit.The scammers that run these types of scams know the legal loopholes and the ways to get around it,too much money to be made,they will never go away.

Did you ever ask your teacher whatever happened with her little money making venture and see how well she did?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fappin View Post
Few people I know have tried to talk me into joining their pyramid scheme that they got suckered into. Everytime they try to convince, shit sounds too good and convincing 'til I hear the "there's a fee to join/start and you make commission off others who join under you". lulz
The people who joined and soon realized they got suckered,try to get others to join so they can at least try to recoup some of their money back,that's why they are so persistant in trying to sign up people they barely even know.The worst is when they try to get good friends to join only to burn bridges.Nothing good ever comes out of these types of scams.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #44
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
listen to what the Dragons have to say on the Den:

Lyoness - Dragons' Den - CBC Player
this show gives me a idea! lol
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #45
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Time and time again, I see too many hopeful and unrealistic people who join these types of schemes thinking their going to get "rich". With the accessibility and ease of the Internet nowadays, there is no excuse for people not to do a simple search to make an informed decision about these companies.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 11-08-2012 at 12:05 PM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #46
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,820 Times in 2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danizer View Post
the lyoness guy looks greasy haha

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #47
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabatron View Post
Tell him I am very interested and would love to attend one of the sessions for $500. I'm a pretty nice guy, so I'll even go for $400.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #48
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Hey ACN is legit it was on the apprentice twice. Donald Trump would not support scammers.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #49
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
I just banned someone from Revscene for trying to recruit for that shit. Seriously, DO NOT TRY TO SELL YOUR HUSTLE HERE

But to address the Vector Marketing angle and people's opinions on Pyramid Schemes.. you CAN make money but you have to put up a little overhead, buy a cheaply made version of a product everyone uses from overseas where you can get it manufactured for next to nothing, and then get some chumps to sell it at massive markups while paying them next to nothing.

Cutco knives are serrated blade pot metal knives stamped out for about a dime a piece. They try to sell a set for what, $200? Whats to stop you from outsourcing a whole dinnerware set for $5 for 36 items and re-selling it as "high end cutlery" for $100 a set?

Theres money to be made but you have to be at the top of the pyramid to make it. But don't try to make it here. Not on Revscene. Go hock your shit at Vancouver Underground or Craigslist or some shit
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #50
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Educate yourselves, always ask questions.

A pyramid scheme is completely fake. Fake business, fake website, fake everything... You invest and everyone disappears.

A MLM (multi level marketing) actually has products or services but where it fucks you is by the pyramid structure and amount of effort you put in to get somewhere. These are things like Quixstar, Monavie, and ACN.

I knew about all of these but didn't really understand how they worked until a good friend approached me for a "meeting" with WFG (world financial group). I told him I think its a scam but he insisted it's not (of course) so I decided to hear them out. Not interested. But while doing research I found a very good objective reply by someone and I think this is a very good answer about how MLM's work (this is probably very similar to Lyoness):

Quote:
This review is about as objective as I can make it. Firstly, let me state that I absolutely do not work for WFG. I work for one of the six largest financial institutions in the USA and it would be a conflict of interest for me to work for WFG.

That being said, WFG is not a pyramid or ponzi scheme because the Federal Trade Commission would have shut it down. What it IS is multi-level marketing. It is a business opportunity for those who are self driven to succeed in the same manner as anyone joining an insurance firm like All State, State Farm, New York Life. Granted you make a meager income working at one of those "legitimate" companies for a short period of time, usually six months. The objective being to get an insurance license and start selling insurance policies and earn a residual income. After the probationary period, no one makes a dime at any these legitimate firms unless you can sell their insurance policies and annuities. If you can't sell, its out the door for you, YOUR FIRED! At WFG, you either sell or you don't, no one gets fired, you either make money through your own sales efforts or you just don't make any money, PERIOD.

The business model is different at WFG vs other insurance companies. Major difference is that no one at WFG will pay for your licensing, it comes out of your own pocket(book). You have to be driven to sell at WFG just as you would at the name brand insurance companies but without the "goodwill" of the name brand. You have to market yourself to sell WFG products and replicate your efforts through new recruits. So, leverage advertising or leverage people, its your choice. Product mix for WFG is extensive, Pacific Life Insurance, TransAmerica Funds, Hartford, ING, Prudential and more. Compare that to single brand insurance company's product lines to ensure fair product comparisons.

So, it boils down to a few points. Do you want a job or do you want to run your own business. Do you want to leverage advertising or leverage people. Do you want limited product lines or a variety of products. Either way, your success is entirely up to you.