REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #26
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
starting in the new year you can carry up to an ounce
Advertisement
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
This will depend. If they go the route of California or Colorado, feds can still go in and bust whoever they like.

It's the hard part of getting legalization on the federal level as Jah Dean explained. Until that happens, decriminalizing is just another step in the direction.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #28
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
Like already posted, the vote and even state law means nothing because federally it can be overturned because on the federal level weed is still illegal.
It doesn't mean "nothing". Federal government can't just overturn state law whenever they want. It sets up for all sort of legal battles. In the meantime, state agencies ie: State police, will consider it legal and will not prosecute.

The good thing about all this is that Obama admittedly is not really anti marijuana himself. Perhaps there is a good chance he will not really pursue federal action against states in favour of legalization.

This whole situation is just history repeating itself. Franklin D Roosevelt thought alcohol prohibition was stupid, and ran his campaign stating he would repeal it, and he followed through.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 11-07-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #29
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Also Fed's aren't gonna bother with just random people , the average user will never be busted from this point on, so yea it's not really "nothing"
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #30
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
I wonder if the people in jail arrested for procession will be released once it goes through?
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #31
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Probably not too many people in those states in jail for posession
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #32
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly1000 View Post
Awaiting budding entrepreneurs to capitalize on these reforms.

Odds are, the cigarette and alcohol companies will capitalize on this.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #33
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post
Odds are, the cigarette and alcohol companies will capitalize on this.
Can't wait to see the ad campaigns. Budweiser comes to mind.

It's nice to see a small step towards ending the Drug War and shrinking the prison industrial complex.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #34
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbar View Post

It's nice to see a small step towards ending the Drug War and shrinking the prison industrial complex.
I definitely agree. The public have been brainwashed that drug are forbidden.

I like Ron Paul's statement during one of the GOP primaries. "If you heroin is made legal today, who here in this room would start taking heroin ?"
Old 11-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #35
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finbar View Post

I just hope the weed is nothing like their beer.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #36
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
For those of you curious what the rules will be...
Quote:
The people have spoken. Voters have passed Initiative 502 and beginning December 6th, state law no longer prohibits production and sale of marijuana. Under state law adults over 21 years old may possess up to an ounce of marijuana (or 16 ounces of solid marijuana-infused product, like cookies, or 72 ounces of infused liquid, like oil) for personal use.

Marijuana has existed in a grey area in Seattle for some time now. Despite a longstanding national prohibition on marijuana, minor marijuana possession has been the lowest enforcement priority for the Seattle Police Department since Seattle voters passed Initiative 75 in 2003. Officers don’t like grey areas in the law. I-502 now gives them more clarity.

Marijuana legalization creates some challenges for the Seattle Police Department, but SPD is already working to respond to these issues head on, by doing things like reviewing SPD’s hiring practices for police officers to address now-legal marijuana usage by prospective officers, as well as current employees.

While I-502 has decriminalized marijuana possession in Washington, the new state law is in direct conflict with federal law, which classifies marijuana as a Schedule I narcotic. All Seattle Police officers have taken an oath to uphold not only state law, but federal law as well. However, SPD officers will follow state law, and will no longer make arrests for marijuana possession as defined under I-502.

The Seattle Police Department and Mayor Mike McGinn have already begun working with state officials to navigate this conflict, and follow the direction of Washington voters to legalize marijuana.

In the meantime, the Seattle Police Department will continue to enforce unlicensed sale or production of marijuana, and regulations against driving under the influence of marijuana, which remain illegal.

TL;DR?
Here’s a practical guide for what the Seattle Police Department believes I-502 means for you, beginning December 6th, based on the department’s current understanding of the initiative Please keep in mind that this is all subject to review and revision by the state attorney general and King County Prosecutor’s office and it describes the policies of the Seattle Police Department only. All marijuana possession remains illegal under federal law, and Seattle Police cannot predict or control the enforcement activities of federal authorities.

Can I legally carry around an ounce of marijuana?
According to the recently passed initiative, beginning December 6th, adults over the age of 21 will be able to carry up to an ounce of marijuana for personal use. Please note that the initiative says it “is unlawful to open a package containing marijuana…in view of the general public,” so there’s that. Also, you probably shouldn’t bring pot with you to the federal courthouse (or any other federal property).

Well, where can I legally buy pot, then?
The Washington State Liquor Control Board is working to establish guidelines for the sale and distribution of marijuana. The WSLCB has until December 1, 2013 to finalize those rules.

Can I grow marijuana in my home and sell it to my friends, family, and co-workers?
Under state law, as long as you’re a licensed grower and seller, yes. If you’re a medical marijuana patient, the rules on growing haven’t changed.

Can I smoke pot outside my home? Like at a park, magic show, or the Bite of Seattle?
Much like having an open container of alcohol in public, doing so could result in a civil infraction—like a ticket—but not arrest. You can certainly use marijuana in the privacy of your own home. Additionally, if smoking a cigarette isn’t allowed where you are (say, inside an apartment building or flammable chemical factory), smoking marijuana isn’t allowed there either.

Will police officers be able to smoke marijuana?
As of right now, no. This is still a very complicated issue.

If I apply for a job at the Seattle Police Department, will past (or current) marijuana use be held against me?
The current standard for applicants is that they have not used marijuana in the previous three years. In light of I-502, the department is consulting with the city’s employment law division and the state attorney general to see if and how that standard may be revised.

What happens if I get pulled over and an officer thinks I’ve been smoking pot?
If an officer believes you’re driving under the influence of anything, they will conduct a field sobriety test and may consult with a drug recognition expert. If officers establish probable cause, they will bring you to a precinct and ask your permission to draw your blood for testing. If officers have reason to believe you’re under the influence of something, they can get a warrant for a blood draw from a judge. If you’re in a serious accident, then a blood draw will be mandatory.

What happens if I get pulled over and I’m sober, but an officer or his K9 buddy smells the ounce of Super Skunk I’ve got in my trunk?
Under state law, officers have to develop probable cause to search a closed or locked container. Each case stands on its own, but the smell of pot alone will not be reason to search a vehicle. If officers have information that you’re trafficking, producing or delivering marijuana in violation of state law, they can get a warrant to search your vehicle.

SPD seized a bunch of my marijuana before I-502 passed. Can I have it back?
No.

Will SPD assist federal law enforcement in investigations of marijuana users or marijuana-related businesses, which are legal, at the state level, under I-502?
No. Officers and detectives will not participate in an investigation of anything that’s allowed by state law.

December 6th seems like a really long ways away. What happens if I get caught with marijuana before then?
Hold your breath. Your case will be processed under current state statute. However, there is already a city statute making marijuana enforcement the lowest law enforcement priority.

I’m under 21. What happens if I get caught smoking pot?
It’s a violation of state law. It’ll be referred to prosecutors, just like if you were a minor in possession of alcohol. But, again, marijuana enforcement is still the lowest law enforcement priority in Seattle. This is all still under review and we’re still awaiting advisement from the state attorney general.

Sauce: Marijwhatnow? A Guide to Legal Marijuana Use In Seattle | SPD Blotter
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #37
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I wonder if the people in jail arrested for procession will be released once it goes through?
I know on the radio this morning it was mentioned that something like 175 charges have been dropped now. Not sure it was Seattle alone or Washington as a whole.
Posted via RS Mobile
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #38
I subscribe to Revscene

I wonder if the grunge scene will suffer when the new generations can opt-out for sunshine in a bag...
now, how do I buy Seattle stock?
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #39
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
first the hipster look and now this, what are we now? hippies?
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote