REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #26
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
Gonna go a little off-topic but similar incident

I rear ended this kid outside of my school, we agreed that we won't call ICBC but I suggested we exchanged information anyways. Later during the day this asshole calls me and tells me ICBC wants my statement.
Posted via RS Mobile
and heres possbile scenario why :

son: mom, some guy hit me today at school
mom: WAH go tell the teacher (icbc in this case)
son: but its not a big deal I didnt get hurt
mom: No if you dont tell the teacha I will tell the teacha
son:

now read it in a chinese mom accent.

oh, and I dont know if the victims asian, I just supposed it was..
Advertisement
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #27
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:

I rear ended this kid outside of my school, we agreed that we won't call ICBC but I suggested we exchanged information anyways. Later during the day this asshole calls me and tells me ICBC wants my statement.
Posted via RS Mobile
What makes him an asshole? You rear-ended him. If he changed his mind about making a claim, that's up to him. He owes you shit. You need a reality check.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #28
PRINCESS

Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile
Same thing happened to me
Some bitch t-boned me with her bicycle on a Sidewalk while I was creeping out from a stop sign
Because she was a cyclist I thought it was completely my fault
SHE offered to settle it privately but cops came and shit so we exchanged info
Day after I called her 1h before 24h deadline and she goes "oh I already claimed it"
When I asked her why she didn't tell me she was claiming her response was "I thought icbc was supposed to call you"

Anyways it came back 50/50 so karma on her. From what I know of she did it through her insurance so her insurance went up too.
Posted via RS Mobile
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Mine was even worst. C lai backs into me at a parking lot. Calls some other dickwad to come down to talk on her behalf. After 20 min of him feeding me BS that its my fault for parking in a no parking spot, we agreed for me to get my damage inspected to see how much it is.

So off I go and get 2 quotes within 3 hours of the incident. Call them up within those 3 hours, and what do you know, claim filed.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #30
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,697 Times in 1,625 Posts
It's because Asians are perpetually afraid of getting ripped off, that they will do everything in their power to stop themselves from taking even the slightest loss in anything.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #31
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
you cant trust anyone these days. and honestly let it be handled legally.
not worth the hassle if anything goes wrong after like a law suit or etc.
and everyone hates that shit.
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #32
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
and heres possbile scenario why :

son: mom, some guy hit me today at school
mom: WAH go tell the teacher (icbc in this case)
son: but its not a big deal I didnt get hurt
mom: No if you dont tell the teacha I will tell the teacha
son:

now read it in a chinese mom accent.

oh, and I dont know if the victims asian, I just supposed it was..
lol i actually called my dad right after it happened and so did he. they both ended up coming to the school and after talking for about 10 minutes, the guy and his dad said they won't file a claim. When I was about to celebrate after school for a bullet dodged, boom bullet not dodged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
What makes him an asshole? You rear-ended him. If he changed his mind about making a claim, that's up to him. He owes you shit. You need a reality check.
I took full responsibility but would have been nice to get a heads up if he wanted to change his mind or just call icbc in the first place and not get my hopes up. Oh and I saw him driving around a few times after that since we went to the same school, I wouldn't be surprised if he got into an at fault accident already.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by mb_; 11-18-2012 at 01:54 AM.
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #33
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
i'm just afraid that he's gonna tamper with his bumper and then file a claim.

i think i'm gonna call icbc right now.
This is the best idea, really.

It's all about CYA, CYA, CYA.

It takes maybe an hour out of your day to call Dial-a-Claim, drop by a claim center, have an estimator take a look at your car, and determine *AND DOCUMENT* any damages *OR LACK THEREOF*.

After that, if buddy, say, backs into wall, and then tries to claim the damage is due to you hitting him... you'll have evidence that it's not.

Disclaimer: I was in exactly this situation once: rear-ended someone, got my car checked, estimator said there was no indication I'd ever hit anyone... other driver put in a claim, they said there was over $600 damage. Unfortunately the adjuster was an idiot decided the damage was my fault despite not being able to answer why the back end of a late-80s Tempo could show so much damage when the front end of an '87 Accord showed NONE... but one would hope your adjuster would be more intelligent than that.

In any case, better safe than sorry.

I was on the other end of the situation more recently: front car in a three-car, guy in back wasn't paying attention and slammed into the truck behind me, and pushed him into me. Claimed full responsibility right away, no problem there... NO visible damage to the back of my CR-V (the spare on the rear door took all the impact), nothing visible on the front of the truck that hit me. Called it in anyway, went to the claim center, let the estimator check it out - JUST IN CASE. Came back all fine, but still, key word is CYA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
^This is false. It will NOT cost you the same through ICBC regardless of circumstances.

If he does claim damages and you want to repay ICBC (so your insurance doesn't go up), then you will only pay what ICBC paid the bodyshop.
I donno what car it is, but contrary to what vafanculo said, it will cost you considerably less to just repaint his bumper, than if he were to replace it.
I had a rear-ender where I hit someone... minor ding to her bumper. Wanted to do it without ICBC, just pay directly. She took her car to a "friend's shop"... they said it would be $300, which I was ready to pay... once the work was done she called back and said it was now $600. I told her to get bent and go deal with ICBC.

See, ICBC sets their rates and shops can't just arbitrarily rack up the costs, so if you let ICBC pay for it, you know you're not going to get scammed on the repair costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
See, ICBC sets their rates and shops can't just arbitrarily rack up the costs, so if you let ICBC pay for it, you know you're not going to get scammed on the repair costs.
If they pull a bitch move like this, then of course you go through ICBC.

There are two benefits of avoiding ICBC.

It's that you don't have take your time with them, and that there's no record on your vehicle history.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #35

^You do understand what "CYA" means, don't you?
Quote:
Old 11-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #36

Yes, but if it's so minor, there's no need, IMO.

I dunno, I've settled out of ICBC a few times, both hit and been hit, and I've had no problems.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #37

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Yes, but if it's so minor, there's no need, IMO.

I dunno, I've settled out of ICBC a few times, both hit and been hit, and I've had no problems.
......dude you understand that even if it's a minor accident that there are TWO PARTIES INVOLVED!? In this case, one party was you who was AT FAULT. So if the other party feels the need to go to ICBC even though it's minor, they have the right to do so and it makes perfect sense for them. They get a free repair with no premiums. Why? Because they didn't do anything wrong....YOU DID. LOL I bet if the tables were turned and you were the one hit and not at fault, you would take your vehicle to ICBC within minutes.

What vehicle did you hit and what vehicle were you driving by the way?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #38

Uh, not sure if you misread my post, or not understanding properly. Of course anyone has a right to go through ICBC in any accident, minor or major, regardless of who's at fault. That's not the point of this thread.

Point of this thread is that the accident is so minor, that it's not worth going through ICBC. Even if you don't go through with a claim, as soon as you report it, it stays on your vehicle report, with an undisclosed amount, which looks worse. If s/he wants to go through ICBC when I hit him/her, by all means go ahead.

And if it matters,

I was in a 2000 civic, rear ended a 2005 accord, driven by a lady who stopped at a green light. Got out, exchanged info, told her to do whatever she wanted. Next day her son calls me, asks me for $300. Gave him money, got a receipt, never heard from them again.

I was in a 2000 Civic, guy in front of me was backing up to make room for guy trying to parallel park. He hit me, my front plates left holes in his bumper. No damage to my car. Got out, got a few witnesses, guy admitted fault, took my number/info, went home, never heard from him again.

I was in a 2007 Sienna, got hit by some young kid in an EF (i think), got out, saw a few scuffs. Asked for info, went home and took a better look, called the guy and told him to forget about it, not worth my time. Never spoke to him again.

I was in a 2007 Accord, girl in a 2005 rsx-s swipes my front bumper making a right turn from center lane. She asks to settle outside of ICBC, I ask for $400 to repaint, wrote her a note, never spoke to her again.

Again, I don't see the point of your post. All you did was explain to me how insurance works.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #39

Quote:
Point of this thread is that the accident is so minor, that it's not worth going through ICBC. Even if you don't go through with a claim, as soon as you report it, it stays on your vehicle report, with an undisclosed amount,
This is exactly the point of CYA - maintaining a "paper trail", a chain of events and communication. You have a record that you've gone through the proper procedures even if nothing comes of it. Otherwise...

Quote:
I was in a 2000 civic, rear ended a 2005 accord, driven by a lady who stopped at a green light. Got out, exchanged info, told her to do whatever she wanted. Next day her son calls me, asks me for $300. Gave him money, got a receipt, never heard from them again.
What happens the time you DO hear from them again? "Oh, my friend's shop found something else wrong, it's gonna be another $500. Oh no, pain and suffering, my neck hurts, you need to give me $10,000".

You're just lucky, you haven't been burned yet.

First accident my sister was ever in, she was driving Grandpa's '67 Le Sabre through an apartment parking lot when some chick in a little Honda backed out of a parking spot, and right into her rear quarterpanel. Back end of the Honda was demolished; Buick didn't have a scratch. The woman said she didn't want to go through ICBC either, my sister agreed, they got each others' info, and went their separate ways.

Well... it didn't take long before the other chick's mother was phoning every second day to tell us about estimates and how more damage was found and blah blah blah and how would we like to arrange to pay for repairs... at least, that was the one call I took, when I had no idea what was going on. Mom filled me in later, how this woman's mother kept trying to put the blame on my sister (no court in the land would have called this her fault) and get her to pay for repairs...

Proper procedure would have been: exchange info, tell the other party you're going to ICBC and insist they do the same. Then you never have to deal with them or their idiocy again - ICBC does it all on your behalf. Much less stress.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #40

Quote:
What happens the time you DO hear from them again? "Oh, my friend's shop found something else wrong, it's gonna be another $500. Oh no, pain and suffering, my neck hurts, you need to give me $10,000".
Ugh. You are either stubborn, or stupid.

If a small accident happened where I was at fault, and we agreed to part ways, and then I hear back from them a few days later extorting money from me, I'd be the first one to call ICBC.

It's not like I'm driving without insurance, and it's not like I'm out to scam anyone. You guys seem to think that as soon as you agree to settle outside of ICBC it's the end of the world and you're opening yourself up to a world of hurt; it's not.

ICBC doesn't really care what you do. It's unfortunate how many of you can't seem to trust other people (and probably rightfully so), but I still have faith in humanity enough to believe that the general populace aren't assholes. And if they turn out to be, then I'll go to ICBC, because now it's necessary to do so, whereas previously it wasn't.

Why is that so hard to understand.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #41
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
^ i think you're just a little naive.. you've been lucky so far, but in the above situation, they could have easily taken your $300 and then called icbc on you again. what kind of receipt do you have that proves you gave them $300? with no way of forging such a receipt? what if they claim they have neck pains? injuries can come back weeks or months after the original accident.

point is - yeah you may get lucky and have a nice guy. but there's always a chance you won't so why take that unnecessary chance when you can just go through icbc?
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
^ i think you're just a little naive.. you've been lucky so far, but in the above situation, they could have easily taken your $300 and then called icbc on you again. what kind of receipt do you have that proves you gave them $300? with no way of forging such a receipt? what if they claim they have neck pains? injuries can come back weeks or months after the original accident.

point is - yeah you may get lucky and have a nice guy. but there's always a chance you won't so why take that unnecessary chance when you can just go through icbc?
This is exactly my point: he's been lucky so far, but one day that will change. I don't see what's so terrible about following a basic procedure that protects both parties. You phone up, you set an appointment for whatever claim center is most convenient, you stop by and have them check your car. Takes half an hour, maybe an hour out of your day, and you just go on about your business and you don't have to deal with any bullshit from the other person.
Quote:
Old 11-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #43

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
This is exactly my point: he's been lucky so far, but one day that will change. I don't see what's so terrible about following a basic procedure that protects both parties. You phone up, you set an appointment for whatever claim center is most convenient, you stop by and have them check your car. Takes half an hour, maybe an hour out of your day, and you just go on about your business and you don't have to deal with any bullshit from the other person.
These are the kinds of people that need hard lessons to learn about the ways of the world. See them all the time in the police forum. "Oh I got a DUI, but NOW I know I shouldn't drink and drive." LOL glad it took a suspended license, a hefty fine and impoundment to learn that you shouldn't drink and drive.

Similarly, OP will learn when he gets robbed of money and insurance premiums when someone decides to take his money and file a claim all at the same time. Then we will see a thread pop up with "lesson learned."
Old 11-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #44

I dunno, maybe I've been lucky - it's not that I don't approve of the ICBC system, it's just at the time I didn't think it was necessary. I was younger (re: naive perhaps) back then so maybe that was a factor.

What I did with the incident quoted above was I wrote out a pretty detailed paragraph: I ________ acknowledge that I was hit blah blah and received $xxx to cover all fees and to not bring this up again blah blah. Got the other person to sign it and took a video of them doing so.

It's unfortunate so many people are bitches that everyone feels the necessity to protect themselves at all cost.

If I do start a thread saying "lesson learned", you can laugh at me then. Until then, I stand by my decisions lol.