REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #76
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Is not that they have more money is the fact that you are dealing from gov to gov with compicate things such as forgein trade policy. When it is a public own company you don't have to deal with as much.

Example China decides to stop importing lumber from Canada becasue we don't allow them to expand the oil sand. Becasue the Chinese gov have way more power and leverage than a public own company.
The whole point of allowing this transaction is to expand the the oilsands lol.

What was stopping China from imposing a ban on Canadian lumber weeks ago to put pressure on the Feds to ensure the Nexen deal would be approved?

"I wonder what other hypothetical situations I can conjure up..."

On an interesting side note,

When companies located in China ship finished goods to Canada, they don't want to pay to ship empty seacans back to China... so they fill them with NBSKP and lumber for the trip home. This is what makes the Canada/China lumber trade work so well, it's an economic solution that fits nicely with the bullshit trade deficit we have imposed on ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
their concerns are drastically different one is for profit the other can be any range of issues; from human rights concerns to refugee issues...

we've already seen Canada give up political refugees to china just to start the ball rolling on signing deals and this was done from the outside but now having a state owned company basically puts chinas foot in the door to influence domestic issues even further, with greater sway

its not as weak and speculative as you think when we already have evidence of it happening here and abroad (africa)

you could say its no different for china to manipulate/sway from the outside than it is from the inside but i disagree

hell even our spy agency disagrees CSIS warns of foreign takeover risks in annual report - Politics - CBC News
Well the concern raised by everyone was whether or not this transaction would be "of net benefit" to Canadians.

I'm sorry but IMO, giving up refugee's is not a domestic issue, and I fail to see how taking in refugee's is of "net benefit" to Canadians.
Advertisement
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #77
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
The whole point of allowing this transaction is to expand the the oilsands lol.

What was stopping China from imposing a ban on Canadian lumber weeks ago to put pressure on the Feds to ensure the Nexen deal would be approved?

"I wonder what other hypothetical situations I can conjure up..."

On an interesting side note,
As said earlier it is an example. There can other other issue since we are not dealing with the Chiense Gov instead of "just a public company" A whole gov have a lot more leverage than a publice compnay and easier to pressure or make the Canadian gov bend over.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #78
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post

I'm sorry but IMO, giving up refugee's is not a domestic issue, and I fail to see how taking in refugee's is of "net benefit" to Canadians.
it's not, it was an example of how it's not inconceivable for us to be influenced by business and how we already have (my wording was poor as these are written in passing revised it somewhat)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote