REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #26
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
I wouldn't buy them... I just don't like the look of them. If you want something along those lines, go for an FX35, or an FX45.
Advertisement
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #27
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
GS350 AWD, or RX
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #28
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
I'd say do your research within the days you have left and do not make an impulsive buy because you will regret it.

I was going to suggest a TL type s.

Maybe try a MDX , you can find fairly new ones for cheap.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #29
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

no vote for the GLK 350 huh? I like how it looks, but unsure of reliability. Yah Knight604 i definitely don't want to make a quick decision and regret it. I usually take months to pick a car. This time I have to decide quickly, which is stressing me out (probably not helping me with my recovery from chest/back pain). Done for today, search continues tmrw..... thanks so far for the input guys. keep it coming!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #30
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
Id go for GLK, but thats if you can keep up with the expensive maintenance, I personally didnt like the GLK at first, but over time its growing on me.
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #31
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
When I had the 2010 GLK only problem was the power lift gate in the back, newer versions had improvements on it I believe. Maintenance wise, its gonna be expensive but pretty reliable. Drives like a tank, gears like a truck, not an everyday funcar but feels so solid. Not a lot of room in back seats so beware. PM me if more Qs.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:33 AM   #32
Why'd you do that for?

keep in mind that icbc will give you the actual cash value PLUS 12% because that is the amount you would have to pay to purchase another car of the same value. if you were to buy your car privately and have the seller agree to gift it to you, you would in turn get 12% more for you car.

i've had my car written off before and find that they are quite fair with determining the value of your car. only downfall is the waiting of all the paperwork before they write you a cheque...hopefully you were able to obtain a rental car so you could still commute
rk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #33

Would you guys say an SUV or crossover is safer than a car? its weird how a serious accident can change your mentality. I'm also thinking ahead in terms of kids. Maybe safety is more important than style for me now. My car was destroyed, the other guy had a truck and did not have anywhere close to the damage I had.

found this article that says SUVs are now more safe since the chance of rollovers is less with new technology

Crossovers and Safety - New Crossovers - Cars.com
Old 12-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #34
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Size does matter

From all your posts, You doesn't seem to know which catalog you are want.
I will suggest you slow down a bit. Go to AutoMall & window shop with your wife. See the actual car yourself.

You got pictures of your accident the aftermath ?

Last edited by Bender Unit; 12-11-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Bender Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #35

no pics. I was taken away by ambulance. The car got towed to bodyshop and they didn't even take it off the truck supposedly. Just said its a total loss. Guess the damage was that bad. Whole passenger side front disintegrated. all you could see was the front tire. Engine stopped working and just kept making this clicking noise after the accident.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender Unit View Post
Size does matter

From all your posts, You doesn't seem to know which catalog you are want.
I will suggest you slow down a bit. Go to AutoMall & window shop with your wife. See the actual car yourself.

You got pictures of your accident the aftermath ?
not in any shape to window shop so trying to do it behind the computer. but you are right - I'm confused...
Old 12-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #37
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Looks at what you want then just do some research such as online forums and youtube video reviews and that kind of stuff. When time comes to buy the car you should know enough about it to make a confident purchase.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #38

I just noticed your injured... Are you going to sue? That could significantly raise the budget...
Old 12-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #39
Why'd you do that for?

size does matter...search up "accident smart car" on youtube...it looks RIDICULOUS. In terms of your new car, have you thought about what criteria you would look for? comfort? 5/7seats? fuel efficient? luxury? awd/fwd/rwd?
rk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #40
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,782 Times in 977 Posts
It looks like you're going to make an impulse decision. Buy a $1000 civic for now, take your time, and make the right choice. When you sell the civic back to the market, you probably won't lose a single dollar.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #41
I don't get it

Or maybe start to learn how to use transit. As much as a car is valuable to you now (sucks that its during the holidays), just worry about getting the right amount for your settlement first.

The new (or used)car can wait. You can always rent a car on days you really need it. Car2Go is a fairly cheap option if your willing to work around it for the next little while.

Your wife and family would probably appreciate the fact that your bringing them out looking at cars. Beats sitting around the house doing nothing on the weekends.

Snoop Dogg - Starksy & Hutch
Sushi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #42
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurael View Post
Would you guys say an SUV or crossover is safer than a car? its weird how a serious accident can change your mentality. I'm also thinking ahead in terms of kids. Maybe safety is more important than style for me now. My car was destroyed, the other guy had a truck and did not have anywhere close to the damage I had.

found this article that says SUVs are now more safe since the chance of rollovers is less with new technology

Crossovers and Safety - New Crossovers - Cars.com
SUVs have less active safety. You're more likely to be involved in an accident in an SUV. They are less safe if you hit something of equal or greater mass.

If you want a safe vehicle buy a Mercedes or Volvo.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #43

Appreciate all your guys comments and advice. Just taking it day by day now and focusing on recovering my health. Taking transit is not an option with my work. I may just rent a car for now and go from there. Mercedes GLK seems to offer quite a bit, but I'm worried about reliability and I've read that there are some tranny issues. I think a four door sedan is good enough for carseat/baby. The wife insists on SUV. I have always hated SUVs and prefer the handling of a car. No more RWD either, so awd it is.....
Posted via RS Mobile
acurael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #44
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Appreciate all your guys comments and advice. Just taking it day by day now and focusing on recovering my health. Taking transit is not an option with my work. I may just rent a car for now and go from there. Mercedes GLK seems to offer quite a bit, but I'm worried about reliability and I've read that there are some tranny issues. I think a four door sedan is good enough for carseat/baby. The wife insists on SUV. I have always hated SUVs and prefer the handling of a car. No more RWD either, so awd it is.....
Posted via RS Mobile
Good handling AWD sedan with lots of safety? 09-13 Acura TL SH-AWD
Scores a Good in every category of the IIHS tests. Tied with Volvo S60 as safest mid-size sedan.

Could find a used one for around your price range. That is, if you can live with the beak.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #45
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk604 View Post
keep in mind that icbc will give you the actual cash value PLUS 12% because that is the amount you would have to pay to purchase another car of the same value. if you were to buy your car privately and have the seller agree to gift it to you, you would in turn get 12% more for you car.
Keep in mind that this is illegal and is considered fraud. Think about it this way, ICBC has a record of cutting you a cheque for the total loss and somehow within a short period of time that a stranger would suddenly gift you a ~$18 grand car?! It doesn't make any sense at all!

I have to agree though ICBC are usually fair when it comes to the payout value. Almost everyone thinks their car is worth more than what it actually is and the advertised prices are (almost) always higher than the actual price of the sale.

Good luck!
Old 12-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #46

Ok so everything is settled with ICBC and I put a deposit on a 2010 GLK with 32,000km. Will be finalized at end of week. Its mercedes certified. Only thing i wondered is they replaced the two right side tires (rear and front) due to sidewall damage. So the right side tires are brand new and on the other side the tires have 70%. Is this ok? Its an AWD? any harm that can be done?
Old 12-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #47

Quote:
Ok so everything is settled with ICBC and I put a deposit on a 2010 GLK with 32,000km. Will be finalized at end of week. Its mercedes certified. Only thing i wondered is they replaced the two right side tires (rear and front) due to sidewall damage. So the right side tires are brand new and on the other side the tires have 70%. Is this ok? Its an AWD? any harm that can be done?
Anything more than a 2/32" difference is bad for the AWD. Less than that and your good, More than that and you'll need to shave the new ones, Or buy 2 to replace the 70% ones.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #48
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Guys I need your advice and expertise asap!

Got in a car accident on friday. Was told today it is a total loss by ICBC. Shop looked at it and said its a write-off.

Car is a 2006 Infiniti G35 coupe sport model automatic (Top of line model in that year - only option that it does not have is navigation).
- Of course I just got brand new snow tires put on just last week (spent 975 dollars on tires plus installation and taxes. Also got brand new rear brakes put on ($600) and an alignment ($107) in early december/end of november.
- history of car. Full maintenance.
- Accident free.
- around 114,000 KM (guy on phone said this is normal for the year and i have about 400 km less than average and thats worth five bucks?). Guy seemed like a jerk

I have a feeling they will lowball me on the payout. What are the steps I should take to get the amount i deserve? I am thinking the car is worth 20-21 thousand? I will have to do some more research.

It sucks because the car was in brand new condition and I don't think i will be able to find a car in as good condition as mine for that amount of money.

The guy on the phone said he is sending it out to some other people in ICBC that put together the payout package. Just trying to be fully prepared and avoid getting screwed. I hate dealing with ICBC.

Thanks
i'd say more like 17-20 depending on condition max
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
Anything more than a 2/32" difference is bad for the AWD. Less than that and your good, More than that and you'll need to shave the new ones, Or buy 2 to replace the 70% ones.
hmmm not sure if 70% vs 100% would be a 2/32 difference? Wish I knew it before negotiating the price.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #50

Quote:
hmmm not sure if 70% vs 100% would be a 2/32 difference? Wish I knew it before negotiating the price.
You're going to have to measure it with a tread depth guage.