REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Need a "weekend getaway destination" idea. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677929-need-weekend-getaway-destination-idea.html)

Grim 12-14-2012 02:41 PM

Need a "weekend getaway destination" idea.

Ni hao my fellow RSers...
I need some ideas for a weekend getaway for next weekend, dec21-23.
Haven't had a "real" break for a very long time, and my chick is bugging me about it... I don't leave the area much so I need your help!
As for what I'm looking for is a nice drive/place to just relax...
and whatever makes the chick happy...

No trolls please,
Thanks!
(drivable distance) :fullofwin:

nabs 12-14-2012 02:42 PM

Whistler is good. the drive is amazing. Start calling around now though, because they may be booked up.

Presto 12-14-2012 02:43 PM

Head down to the Oregon coast. Enjoy the drive, and get in some tax-free shopping!

EDIT: Scratch out shopping. That would be just fucking insanity.

punkwax 12-14-2012 03:01 PM

Sunshine Coast, Harrison Hot Springs, Big White, Sunpeaks, Silverstar...

Grim 12-14-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodnarb (Post 8107051)

could u briefly describe what I can do there?
my co worker said theres not much at the hotspring around this time :badpokerface:

Spoon 12-14-2012 03:12 PM

Never been on one of these, but always thought it'd be pretty cool.
Rocky Mountaineer BCRS Promotion

Whistler in style.

Gridlock 12-14-2012 03:21 PM

We went to Poet's Cove for a getaway and it was awesome.

BC Ferries Vacations | Poets Cove Pender Island Retreat

And we did the ferry/hotel combo package.

Beautiful island, great resort. We went in January so we practically had the place to ourselves. Best night...hot tub when it was snowing.

Worst getaway? Whistler. If you don't ski(and given that you had to ask what you do at those places, I assume you don't) then all thats left, is a wet cold outdoor mall. We found a private rental in a place where every room had a private hot tub except ours, so I couldn't even just sit in the hot tub and drink all day.

Plus, its nice when you go to an island, because you feel like you are far away, whereas I didn't when we went to whistler.

murd0c 12-14-2012 03:24 PM

Staying at the cabins at the Harrison hot sprigns resort is awesome. Their Sunday buffet is awesome.

So want to get out of the city for end of the world I guess?

:troll:

ilovebacon 12-14-2012 03:27 PM

if i was you, ill hide under my blanket on the 21 lol

punkwax 12-14-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim (Post 8107059)
could u briefly describe what I can do there?
my co worker said theres not much at the hotspring around this time :badpokerface:

Your coworker is probably right in terms of activities but its a neat little town to walk around and escape to for a weekend. Some decent restaurants, hotel with spa etc.

Silverstar is a pretty cool mini-Whistler kind of place, bit of a drive but they have an outdoor rink to skate on, cool pubs and really friendly people around the village. Plus if you snowboard or two-plank its a great mountain as well.

Sunshine Coast is always beautiful no matter what time of year. Lots of nice B+Bs along the water, check out VRBO.com, maybe you'll find a cool spot on your own!

I should also mention Victoria. Love that place!!

european 12-14-2012 03:33 PM

I would go to Oregon or Whistler.

shantz 12-14-2012 03:35 PM

Bowen Island is really nice - close too
look for a B&B - chicks love B&B's

punkwax 12-14-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shantz (Post 8107077)

Balls and boners? :ifyouknow:

SoNaRWaVe 12-14-2012 06:18 PM

there isn't much to do outdoors right now in harrison hot springs. if you have the budget, i would suggest doing a spa package and a dinner at their copper room. theres a dance floor and live music there.

pretty relaxing.

Gh0stRider 12-14-2012 06:28 PM

banff

GabAlmighty 12-14-2012 06:29 PM

I'll take ya up to some natural hot springs if you pay for my gas.

StylinRed 12-14-2012 06:31 PM

price you want to spend would be good to know

since there are some airfare deals right now (you could go to vegas for a weeken for like $400x2)

Gridlock 12-14-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shantz (Post 8107077)
Bowen Island is really nice - close too

...er...I hear B&B and I get awkward conversation with older people in the morning after listening to you rock the fucking house until ungodly hours keeping them up all night(if you are vacationing correctly).

Even if you are a light fucker, you still can't avoid that awkward small talk with strangers thing.

I'd find it more relaxing to sleep in my car and run the risk of being mauled by a bear. But thats just me.

EuterVanWasser 12-14-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Surprised you didn't suggest Galiano, nubcake. :fullofwin:

Lomac 12-14-2012 09:34 PM

I'll have to echo the suggestions for the Oregon Coast. This might be a little farther than you'd want to drive (4'ish hours), but Cannon Beach is a fantastic place to relax and get away. Especially right now, because it's not much of a shopping town, it's going to be pretty empty of tourists and crazy holiday shoppers. Good food, great views, romantic, and some awesome BnB's.

How can you say no to this?

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...ms-d5k6mvm.jpg

punkwax 12-14-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EuterVanWasser (Post 8107320)
Surprised you didn't suggest Galiano, nubcake. :fullofwin:

You mean Gabriola, and ya, it's cool up there too.

Fcukedd 12-14-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

A bit off topic, but if I wanted to go to the springs just for the day, are there any things I should do prior to driving down there like calling in?

Thanks!

StylinRed 12-15-2012 07:32 AM

if you're going to go down to Cannon Beach you can't miss Astoria :D Goonies town ;)

static 12-15-2012 02:54 PM

has anyone gone to tofino in the winter? is it worth going? looking for some quiet time and RR. BC Ferries Vacations | Cox Bay Tofino Retreat

static 12-15-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8107349)
I'll have to echo the suggestions for the Oregon Coast. This might be a little farther than you'd want to drive (4'ish hours), but Cannon Beach is a fantastic place to relax and get away. Especially right now, because it's not much of a shopping town, it's going to be pretty empty of tourists and crazy holiday shoppers. Good food, great views, romantic, and some awesome BnB's.

How can you say no to this?

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...ms-d5k6mvm.jpg

don't speed if you drive down here, police love ticketing canucks.

Budget closer to 5.5 hours depending on the border and your gf's bladder hahaa.