REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 12-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

how do you deal with silence treatment from gf or wife.

personally i think silent treatment is just passive aggressive tactic. it is just as worse as someone who is bitching you out. so how to deal with it.

blue_noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
I don't get it

Why deal with it? If I had to choose between silent treatment and a barrage of yapping ill take the silent treatment... Goes both ways...
Posted via RS Mobile
bloodline129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Thats exactly what it is, passive aggressive. They dont want to say anything, continue on with your day and be happy. When they start talking, say "I liked you more when you weren't talking to me", and receive a free gift of MORE silence!
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

any creative way of dealing with silence treatment
blue_noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Troll post: Carry on with your day and make sure you have a big smile while enjoying the silence. That will piss them off even more.

Serious post: There is a reason they are doing the silent treatment. Sometimes it is a breakdown in communication. Sometimes you just have to let them have the last word so they can cool down before you guys can talk about what the problem is/was.
It all depends on the person and situation. But remember not to raise your voice or lose your cool when dealing with them. It could be as simple as that time of the month or H'angry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
how to deal with it?

talk it out.. otherwise all you're going to do is guess work in solving the situation
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts

Sure silence sounds great, but if being in a relationship for 8 years has taught me anything it's a fucking trap. I've found that ignoring problems just make it worse.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Being silent is the best thing.
Better to not say anything instead of saying something and regretting it later
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
I don't get it

The less u give a shit, the less shit u will get.
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #10

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Its a lose lose. Personally I get a smile inside me cause silent treamtent is 100 times better than loud treatment.I keep quiet till she breaks down and speaks. But, if you are with a girl that seeks attention, she will get angrier if you keep silent. Forcing you to talk yourself into even more trouble.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

problem is my woman is a ticking time bomb when she does the silent treatment

she explodes in rage, sometimes violent, if I ignore her when she's on silent treatment
Isaiah11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Why not just ask what's upsetting her? If she decides to act like a little child then you're better off. These are red flags and definitely huge warning signs for her inability to resolve conflicts.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 2,115 Times in 422 Posts
Make them smile, without being annoying.
TopsyCrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #14

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopsyCrett View Post
Make them smile, without being annoying.
I do the exact opposite. I do dumb things to make her laugh. Laughter cures everything.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #15

Thanked 2,051 Times in 676 Posts
Making your girl laugh while she's trying not to when she's mad at you
Fcukedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #16
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
disagree with all of you,

when your with one girl for almost a decade, and the only way they communicate is through silent treatments,

it really starts making you want one that will actually yell and hash it out,

i prefer to just argue it out and sort shit out, rather than them staying silent for a week at a time
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #17
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Only kids use the silent treatment. Tell your GF to grow up and talk about the problem like a grownup.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #18

^agreed...

If there really is a problem, nothing is being resolved by not communicating like adults.

Go out and do something you enjoy, give her time to herself if that's what she wants. If she doesn't want you to go do something productive and/or fun while she's mad, then she better start talking or else it's wasting everyone's time. Nothing gets resolved when you're sitting there staring at each other in silence. Go make better use of your time, and tell her to let you know when she's good and ready to talk. Again, she's an adult.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #19
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post
disagree with all of you,

when your with one girl for almost a decade, and the only way they communicate is through silent treatments,

it really starts making you want one that will actually yell and hash it out,

i prefer to just argue it out and sort shit out, rather than them staying silent for a week at a time

Mine works the other way.

We usually do the silent treatment until the awkwardness hits a breaking point and one of us gives up; which by that time the other party has also cooled down and is more receptive for an apology, and in most cases, even reciprocative of an apology.

For some reason I find that it works well. It sure as hell suits me more than the over dramatic, emotionally charged, lovers quarrel. The times I found myself in those kind of relationships in the past, I find the experience both tiring and a little bit embarrassing when caught in a blow up(esp. if its in public).

It's funny, Ramon considers "silent treatment" as a kiddish quality but in my experiences, it's incendiary people who deal with their problems by blowing up is what I feel more "kiddish" IMO
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #20
RS controls my life!

They want to be a kid just play your video games / watch your shows whatever you do at home and wait for them to stop being a baby and talk to you about it. If its something you did then say sorry and you wouldn't mind talking about it if they continue then what I said above
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #21
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
I think it's best to not give a shit about the silent treatment. I mean the silent treatment only works on you if you give a shit about it. When my girlfriend does that I just carry on and it doesn't bug me. She can get mad all she wants but its just wasting her own time when she does it and I don't give a shit. After my girlfriend realized that it doesn't work anymore she stopped doing it. At first she got mad it didn't work but she grew up lol
You can apologize if it's your fault but when you argue and you stand to your own point or view them yeah just don't give a shit and don't escalate it by continuing to argue
Posted via RS Mobile
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #22
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

From a girl's point of view, I don't really know how to communicate when I'm upset because sometimes I'm not even sure what I am upset about exactly. It might or might not have to do with the guy or it can be a combination of different things. (ie lack of sleep/hunger that leads to grumpiness)

For me, instead of exploding in anger and ranting about whatever comes up in my mind, I rather take some time to think it through before communicating about what happened. Reason being words that come out while I'm angry might be hurtful and often does not reflect how I truly feel.

And of course when I'm upset that will cause the bf to be upset and it will just turn into a big argument that goes no where except hurting the both of us at the end.

One solution that have worked for me brilliantly so far is email. First of all I let the bf know whenever I'm silent, it means that I am upset/grumpy but I'm just not sure why yet. It doesn't necessary mean he did something wrong. I just need some time/space to process my thoughts.

So when I go to work the next day I will write up an email as to what happened and how it could've lead to my grumpiness. Then we just kinda email/text back and forth during the day and eventually talk it out in person after work.

And this works vice visa whenever there are any issues he wants to bring up as well.

Past:
Mercedes 2003 SLK 230
VW 2007 Rabbit MK5

Last edited by Yuffa; 01-04-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Yuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #23
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

O and I want to mention that "Pretend to not give a crap" is the worse solution. You obviously do give a crap because otherwise you wouldn't still be with her.

Giving her the cold shoulder just escalates whatever negative thought that is in her head and makes the situation worse. Patience is the key here. Give her a timeline as to when you want to talk this out. (IE I know you are upset so I will give you some space. Can we talk about this tomorrow after work?)

If problems and issues continued to be ignored weeks in time and get brushed off into a pile, eventually the solution will be loving each other less and less so you will numb yourself from ever giving a crap.

And then what happens next will be inevitable.....=\

Past:
Mercedes 2003 SLK 230
VW 2007 Rabbit MK5
Yuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #24
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
It's not always about you.
Forcing the issue will make it about you. Yikes!
She'll talk when ready.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #25
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuffa View Post
From a girl's point of view, I don't really know how to communicate when I'm upset because sometimes I'm not even sure what I am upset about exactly. It might or might not have to do with the guy or it can be a combination of different things. (ie lack of sleep/hunger that leads to grumpiness)

For me, instead of exploding in anger and ranting about whatever comes up in my mind, I rather take some time to think it through before communicating about what happened. Reason being words that come out while I'm angry might be hurtful and often does not reflect how I truly feel.

And of course when I'm upset that will cause the bf to be upset and it will just turn into a big argument that goes no where except hurting the both of us at the end.

One solution that have worked for me brilliantly so far is email. First of all I let the bf know whenever I'm silent, it means that I am upset/grumpy but I'm just not sure why yet. It doesn't necessary mean he did something wrong. I just need some time/space to process my thoughts.

So when I go to work the next day I will write up an email as to what happened and how it could've lead to my grumpiness. Then we just kinda email/text back and forth during the day and eventually talk it out in person after work.

And this works vice visa whenever there are any issues he wants to bring up as well.

this just seems so fucking odd to me,

when im upset I know exactly whats making me upset, and I know exactly what resolution I require to make myself un-upset.

I dont understand why a woman would need time to think about why she's upset, if you dont know why your upset, then why the hell even be upset in the first place?

and then if you need time to think, it might be understandable if it was like 1 day to mull it over, but then why do chicks take a week to mull it over?

my now ex gf and i always had this problem, we could never communicate properly because our personalities clashed like this.

When she would get upset, and like you, not even know why she's upset, would give me the silent treatment for a week!

it got to the point where whenever I knew she was upset, i would just say "ok talk to you in a week" then just not give a shit until she was cooled down, and THEN i would always have to probe her as to why she was mad in the first fucking place, then she would blow up at me a week later anyway because it was all bottled up. Then I would always say, why the fuck couldnt we talk about it right away and not waste a week of our time?

what a fucking nightmare it was for me, the entire time.

the next girl I date i'd prefer if she threw plates at me, and atleast hash it out right there on the spot, rather than just go mia for weeks at a time in a hissy fit of rage.

I honestly think its an asian thing. Thats the way her whole family communicated all the time, with silent treatments to eachother for months on end, they would never work it out because the person who brings it up is the one who "gives up the silent war"

whereas me coming from a euro family, we always hashed shit out right on the spot, yelled at eachother and my mom would yank my ears n shit, she still does. But atleast when its over that shit is settled and we eat dinner together and talk about current events.

fuckin childish retarded silent treatments.

I need me a white chick

Last edited by Glove; 01-04-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: