REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #51
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
I'm guessing this was a simply a case of a bad chain reaction collision. One guy crashes and a bunch of other people suddently become unfortunate victims due to low visibility and high speeds.

I don't think this will be the last time we see accidents of this nature on that bridge and on Hwy 1. Lower Mainland drivers aren't used to large multi-lane expressways and now that we have one, this type of collision is probably going to happen more often.

I bet the old bridge would have been just as icy as the new one. Except the old bridge you were always crawling at 20 km/h instead of now when you can go 70 or 80 km/h on the new bridge.
Advertisement
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #52
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
I bet the old bridge would have been just as icy as the new one. Except the old bridge you were always crawling at 20 km/h instead of now when you can go 70 or 80 km/h on the new bridge.
*DING DING DING DING!* WE HAVE A WINNER!

And if you did get some idiot panic-braking at 20k, the worst you probably get is a two- or three-car fender-bender, and that isn't newsworthy. Probably happened on at least one or two of the other bridges, in fact, but it's so common, nobody cared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #53
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Whether or not that's justified, I don't know. I don't remember the old bridge being this terrible, but maybe it just didn't make the news as much as it does now.
Well that's the other part of it: the same thing could happen on the Knight St. Bridge and it wouldn't rate much more than a mention on the traffic reports, and maybe a third- or fourth-place news story on the bad weather... not the bad bridge.

But of course, it's a new, fancy, expensive bridge, and that must mean the laws of physics no longer apply on it.... right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #54
I am grateful grapefruit

i remember seeing a flipped over car, either on the oak st bridge or the knight st bridge. THAT surprises me. a 20 car chain reaction accident in the ice, not as much.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #55
I am Hook'd on RS

The Port-man bridge has been a fail since it ever opened. Engineer fail as they spend billions on this project.
calcalvinlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #56
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
^awesome first post

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #57
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,687 Posts
Apparently, the engineers are using "high tech" gadgets like temperature sensors, and cameras to monitor any ice bomb incidents that may happen on the Port Mann in the future.

Hmm, how is monitoring a bridge with a thermometer and a camera supposed to stop ice from forming on the bridge? The engineers should just heat the cables on a cold day.

Port Mann gadgets to prevent future winter driving chaos | News1130
Old 01-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #58
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Apparently, the engineers are using "high tech" gadgets like temperature sensors, and cameras to monitor any ice bomb incidents that may happen on the Port Mann in the future.

Hmm, how is monitoring a bridge with a thermometer and a camera supposed to stop ice from forming on the bridge? The engineers should just heat the cables on a cold day.

Port Mann gadgets to prevent future winter driving chaos | News1130
It's cheaper to monitor the bridge than to install heated cables. Once ice forms, they'll just shut the thing down.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote