REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
RCMP arrest suspect in Maple Ridge abduction/assault

Quote:
MAPLE RIDGE (NEWS1130) – A man has been arrested after a teenage girl was abducted and beaten in Maple Ridge over the weekend.

Heavily armed officers took him into custody in downtown Vancouver around 10 o’clock Tuesday night. Just a few hours earlier, police released a picture of a suspect and were flooded with tips from the public.

“There’s no question that the photographs that were released were the key to this case,” says Insp. Dave Fleugel with Ridge Meadows RCMP. “We received numerous pieces of information from the public and we were able to act on that immediately last night.”

Police got a tip about a man in Surrey who matched the description and officers were able to catch up with him in a parkade near West Pender Street and Richards Street in Vancouver a short while later.

Fleugel expects kidnapping and assault causing bodily harm charges will be laid.

“Investigators are also working on leads right now that aren’t linked specifically to the Saturday night event, but may link him to some armed robberies throughout the Metro Vancouver area,” Fleugel says.

The 17-year-old girl was in the parking lot at Westgate Mall on Saturday night when a man asked her to help him get his car started.

When she walked over to him he pulled out a gun and ordered her to get in her own car.

She then drove him to a secluded area where she was assaulted before she managed to escape.

“Our investigators contacted the victim after the arrest was made and she was very relieved and very thankful,” Fleugel says. “She is doing well but she has significant injuries from the assault and she is still quite sore.”

Fleugel isn’t sure when the accused will make his first court appearance.
I'm glad they caught the scumbag, and I'm not surprised he's from Surrey. Also, there was a comment that mentioned there was a female in the suspect's car during the arrest. Girlfriend, or another victim? It's just a random comment, so take it with a grain of salt.

Quote:
I was at the scene last night when the suspect was being taken into custody.
RCMP officers were following the suspect from Ridge Meadows into Vancouver. The ERT was set in place to intercept and when ready, he pulled into a parking lot at West Pender street at Richards. Once they had him blocked in, ERT division and other members quickly positioned themselves for the takedown. One large bang flash bang, and the suspect was taken into custody. In the vehicle was the suspect and a female unknown to the situation.
Vehicle the suspect was in, appeared as a red 80′s model Toyota Corolla or Nissan.
No one was hurt at the scene. Great job by all officers involved.
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
What a creep, hopefully he gets his stump ass raped in jailed.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
What a creep, hopefully he gets his stump ass raped in jailed.
He would probably enjoy it.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

He looks like your typical surrey jack.
In the first picture, it looks like he's asking to get batted right across his scumbag face.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
yeah i was quite shocked to hear it happened and not too surprised to hear he's from Surrey

a lot of racist and bigoted comments on news1130 though even towards muslims yet the victim ripped a crucifix pendant from the suspects neck and you can also see it pictured from the security footage (oddly news1130 removed the image of the actual cross pendant but not all of the hate speech)

Last edited by StylinRed; 01-23-2013 at 05:14 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 2,080 Times in 419 Posts
Was just talking about this today in school, my classmate is friends with the girl who was abducted! pretty crazy...

from what she told me, when he was strangling her in the back seat she pretended to pass out, and he went to go get something in the trunk which lead the girl to book it out of the car and to safety.
TopsyCrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopsyCrett View Post
Was just talking about this today in school, my classmate is friends with the girl who was abducted! pretty crazy...

from what she told me, when he was strangling her in the back seat she pretended to pass out, and he went to go get something in the trunk which lead the girl to book it out of the car and to safety.
damn that was a close call.... which could have been much worst
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I dont know why, but stories like these just piss me off. Just imagine if that girl was your sister, wife, gf etc. These type of guys are worst than scum.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,179 Times in 229 Posts
What a fucking goof
Jegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Several other woman also came forward to police with information about the man after a 17-year-old girl was abducted from a Maple Ridge mall on Saturday.

“After initial media coverage, we had several women contact us, describing similar circumstances, of a man who approached women near the Westgate Mall, saying he needed assistance,” Fleugel said.
So this guy gets off on abducting women just so he can beat them up? wtf

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,020 Times in 7,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azndude69 View Post
I dont know why, but stories like these just piss me off. Just imagine if that girl was your sister, wife, gf etc. These type of guys are worst than scum.
I can think of a few reasons.
I can't even comprehend what goes through a guys head when he commits an act like this. I hope he gets the fucking shit kicked out of him in jail. People like this are why I could never be a police officer. Keeping your cool and not beating this guy to death with a club would be next to impossible.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Some more details about the suspect

Maple Ridge News -
Quote:
‘Cop Killin Villain’ charged in mall kidnapping
Ian James William Campbell has extensive and notorious criminal history

By Monisha Martins - Maple Ridge News
Published: January 24, 2013 5:00 PM
Updated: January 24, 2013 5:29 PM

The man arrested for kidnapping a teenage girl from a Maple Ridge mall last weekend has an extensive criminal history that began as a youth with a crew called "The Cop Killin Villains."

Ian James William Campbell was charged Thursday with one count each of kidnapping using a weapon, attempting to choke to overcome resistance, assault causing bodily harm and unlawful confinement.

He remains in custody, but is set to appear via video for a bail hearing Jan. 31.

The 25-year-old man was arrested around 10 p.m. Tuesday in Vancouver by members of the Vancouver Police Department's Emergency Response Team and Ridge Meadows RCMP's Street Enforcement Unit.

His arrest came after a public appeal by police for tips in the violent abduction of a 17-year-old girl from Westgate Centre on Lougheed Highway in Maple Ridge.

"Shortly after we released the suspect's picture, we started to receive tips," said Insp. David Fleugel. "That allowed us to quickly identify and then locate the suspect. I'd like to acknowledge and thank the public for the valuable information they provided police. We all benefit when citizens are so engaged in working with police toward the safety of their communities."

The girl was standing outside her place of work when she was approached by a man on foot around 8 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19.

According to police, the man told the teen he needed help to start his car.

The girl went to help the man, but he produced a gun and forced her to drive her car, a red 1993 Honda Civic, out of the mall to a secluded area, where police say he physically, but not sexually assaulted her.

Badly beaten, she still managed to fight him off, ripping a gold cross from him during the struggle, and escaped to a nearby house, where police were called.

Fleugel commends the girl for fighting off her attacker.

After police appealed for information, several other women contacted investigators, saying they were approached by a similar man near Westgate mall.

Officers obtained surveillance footage from a nearby business and released a photo of the alleged abductor.

Police sources say Campbell shaved his head after the public appeal, but his photograph was recognized by corrections officers and other police officers.

Campbell's criminal history dates back to 2005 and includes convictions for assault, flight from a peace officer and theft.

According to court records, Campbell was sentenced in 2008 to four and a half years in prison for stealing a car and leading police on a high-speed pursuit that ended with the death of passenger.

At that time, Campbell was part of a group of Surrey teens who called themselves "Cop Killin Villains."

In a stolen SUV, Campbell rammed a police cruiser twice, prompting one of the officers to shoot and kill one of three passengers – 16-year-old Kyle Tait.

Appeal court documents reveal Campbell came from a dysfunctional family and spent his early years in foster care.

Police are also investigating whether the 25-year-old is linked to other robberies across the Lower Mainland.

Campbell is known to use the alias James Austin, as well as James Scott Calegerro, James William Smithe and Alexander Robert Dunphy.

Sgt. Lindsay Houghton with the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit though hasn't heard of the "Cop Killin Villians" in years.

Rather than being a street gang, the CKV was a group of teenage thugs.

"You get a group of teenagers together and they call themselves whatever they want but six months later, they've gone separate ways and nobody remembers what they called themselves," said Houghton.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
So the guy just randomly picks up the girl and beats her? WTF is wrong with this guy.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,132 Times in 237 Posts
this guy could have been a potential serial killer in the making

abducting girls and choking them, he could have killed that woman had she not escaped that guy would kept doing it had he succeeded..
dub.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub.g View Post
this guy could have been a potential serial killer in the making

abducting girls and choking them, he could have killed that woman had she not escaped that guy would kept doing it had he succeeded..

If this is true I hope this enables him to get the help he needs. Yeah, he needs incarceration but he also needs some genuine mental help.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
this might be just me being pissed off by what I read, but at what point do we say it's a lost cause and a waste of tax dollars? he hasn't killed anyone yet as far as we know but isn't that how it always ends? he'll be released then later down the road he'll commit murder and we'll read how he has 'a violent history that is known to police'. we need capital punishment here, lets get rid of this low life and potentially save someone's sister, wife, daughter, or mother. or commit him to life at least so we don't give him a chance to carry through what he wanted to do
Posted via RS Mobile
duy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #17
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Jesus Christ, it's the Kyle Tait driver.

I have a hunch this guy won't survive whatever sentence he gets intact.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote