REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #51
Total victory requires total destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
This happened in West Kelowna this morning. That store opened October 2011 and was the anchor store in a brand new strip mall.

Im not surprized by it closing tho. There is a Future Shop in Kelowna and within a couple months of eachother, they opened a huge Best Buy a block away that was a massive expansion into the mall, and then West Kelowna got a Future Shop. No one thought Kelowna was big enough for 3 of the same store plus all the local A/V stores plus london drugs etc.
West Kelowna employees got zero warning which kinda sucks for them. West Kelowna is brutal and I've seen about 9-10 businesses open and close within the same year. It is too small for what they have at the moment, especially with the massive Superstore, Walmart and London Drugs they already have. Our slowest store is in West Kelowna and is barely paying it's bills.
Advertisement

2007 BMW 335i (Jet Black)
2009 Subaru Forester (Obsidian Black Pearl)
2017 Sierra Elevation Z71 (Dark Slate Metallic)
SaviorSelf_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #52
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTG-ZR2 View Post
New Westminster can go Fu k its self. If it turned into a 3 lane hwy both directions I'll be slightly less irratable every time I pass through.
Posted via RS Mobile
That's a little harsh.

New West is working hard on becoming a cool little city again. There is a LOT of work to do...trust me, we curse some of the trash every couple of days. The property values are good, and the rents are increasing, which is driving out the shit.

It's one of the few cities that actually has a "downtown". It's starting to look really good down there. A few of the shitty money mart places were torn down, those high school kids are working on closing the paramount

I like it here...flaws and all.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #53
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Let's be honest here, we go to stores like FutureShop and BestBuy because they're convenient. They're the Starbucks of electronics...there is one around every corner. We don't go to these stores because we like spending more money or because we enjoy dealing with salesmen...it's just easier and immediate, most of the time.

For the record, just before Christmas, FutureShop/BestBuy did change their price matching policies to allow price matching of online stores including NCIX and Amazon.

Also, 10% of the difference is an INDUSTRY STANDARD...every store is the same in the lower mainland.

As far as shipping from online sales goes, FutureShop implemented an ONLINE STORE in their major retail locations. I don't see this being a profitable move but it's supposed to help people with online sales.

Also, if you've had a shipping error or lost a package in the mail from an order from FF/Best Buy, it's probably safe to say that it is an anomaly. This company would be using the same shipping practices as any other company plus they have warehouses locally. So technically, their shipping should be more efficient. I bought a chair from Futureshop.ca on boxing day and received it at my house on the 28th of December. Not bad....

We can easily hate on these stores but every store has its flaws and at the end of the day, we want to get the best deal. Each has its own pros and cons. Buy online, wait a little longer for the product and perhaps deal with a slightly harder return/exchange process. But, you save money.

Point being, there is more to this closure than just consumer habits. Poor corporate decisions, poor leadership and lack of vision will be Best Buy/FutureShop's downfall.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #54
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
they've always pricematched amazon and ncix
NCIX is difficult because 99% of its sale says limited quantities or stock
I just really hate it when FS/BB employees (the online dept) say that it isn't on their list of approved competitors

like where in the hell in the policy did it say there's a "list of competitors" ...as long as its canadian and meets all the stipulations give me my damn deal D:
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #55
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,525 Times in 1,154 Posts
my brother worked at a futureshop in surrey, he was stocking shelves and management brought him in and laid him off. This was about a week or so ago. We went to the best buy by queensboro bridge yesterday and the doors were closed and security outside. We saw a bunch of employees standing in the parking lot and I'm guessing they showed up to work and got a rude surprise =(
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #56
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,318 Times in 5,637 Posts
Not surprised at either Lower mainland store, every time I went to both they were completely dead, horrible locations and qieensbourugh landing is a pretty sad attempt at an " outlet" mall itself
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #57
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Cheapskates over the internet are celebrating the closure of these stores, but there's a price to be paid for everything.

Online shopping is great if you know exactly what you want and it works, but returns, exchanges and service leave a lot to be desired. Moreover, shipping in Canada is slow and frankly, not everyone has the time to go down to Blaine/Point Roberts to save a few bucks.

But, if Amazon has 50 4.5 star reviews, the product has got to be good right? Let the suckers down south take the risk and buy a new product before I take the plunge myself.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #58

The returns I've done on amazon were easier than taking things back to a FS/BB although I've only done it once it was seemless, was very impressed

I think there is alot to he said about "window shopping" or whatever the term is for looking at a product in person then buying it for cheaper online, this past weekend I was in the market for some sunglasses, sunglass hut had the pair I wanted at $165 amazon had the same pair for $120 free shipping, asked the salesperson at the hut if they could price
Match, they told me no they are already at the lowest price, online isn't reliable, etc

Where is the incentive to buy in-store any more outside of items that are too large/heavy/expensive to have shipped? There is none

Hell even Flea markets are overpriced compared to online

Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #59
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
they've always pricematched amazon and ncix
NCIX is difficult because 99% of its sale says limited quantities or stock
I just really hate it when FS/BB employees (the online dept) say that it isn't on their list of approved competitors

like where in the hell in the policy did it say there's a "list of competitors" ...as long as its canadian and meets all the stipulations give me my damn deal D:
not necessarily true. they have declined some NCIX price matches to me before stating they are "OEM" retailers and they don't match those.
TPMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #60
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
People will shop at where ever is cheaper, period.
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #61
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...uy_Express.jpg
Old 02-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #62
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
The Source experienced “positive momentum in 2012,” plans to build 20 new locations this year
Quote:
BARRIE, ON, Feb. 1, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ - The Source today announced plans to open 20 new stores across Western Canada, Ontario, Quebec and Newfoundland in 2013. The expansion builds on The Source's positive momentum in 2012, when the national retailer added 67 locations across Canada to bring its current footprint to more than 700 stores.

"The Source's 'small box' format is really meeting the needs of consumers looking for electronics and mobile products," said Charles Brown, president and CEO of The Source, a Canadian company headquartered in Barrie, Ontario. "The pace of change in the industry is so fast that it can make the buying experience feel complex. Our easy-to-shop store format and team of knowledgeable associates are hitting the mark in providing a very accessible and intimate shopping experience that is resonating with Canadians."

The Source also plans to renovate 50 of its existing locations in 2013. The renovations focus on modernizing the look and feel of the stores to better merchandise and showcase key categories like mobility and accessories, streaming audio, DSLR Cameras, portable audio, laptops and Smart TVs. With these renovations, by the end of 2013, The Source will have opened or renovated more than 200 locations as it continues to expand and refresh its network of consumer electronics and communications retail stores to better serve Canadians from coast to coast.

"In spite of the cautious economic forecast, we continue to see strong consumer demand in categories like mobility, headphones and home entertainment with strong brands like Apple, Monster, Nikon, Samsung and Sony helping to drive traffic for us," added Mr. Brown.
http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1107...stores-in-2013

'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #63
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post

Also, if you've had a shipping error or lost a package in the mail from an order from FF/Best Buy, it's probably safe to say that it is an anomaly. This company would be using the same shipping practices as any other company plus they have warehouses locally. So technically, their shipping should be more efficient. I bought a chair from Futureshop.ca on boxing day and received it at my house on the 28th of December. Not bad....
My experience might have been anomoly, but when it happens the FIRST FUCKING TIME it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Also, It took me 2 months to get my money back because after I had filed a lost shipment claim (a week after I was supposed to receive my product) they LOST THE CLAIM which caused me to have to re-file it and start the process over again.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #64
HELP ME PLS!!!

Sale Prices at The Source is actually quite competitive to online prices, though I am unsure of it's price match policy.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #65
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I do understand the mentality behind not warning employees ahead of time that they're closing up shop. If you think about it, BB/FS carry some very expensive items. Telling your employees that you're closing up shop in, say, two weeks or a month, may very well initiate some of these items to suddenly disappear. In the grand scheme of things, it's cheaper to payout your minimum wage employees by laying them off rather than have your Loss Prevention department go through the entire store and write-off a bunch of high ticket items that were smuggled out.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying all employees would do that, but I'm sure enough people would at least consider doing it. I'm sure many of them would think something along the lines of, "What are they gonna do, fire me?"

Just food for thought.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #66
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
People will shop at where ever is cheaper, period.
Untrue. Once I started making real money and grew up, it doesnt come down to money anymore. I have no problem paying for convenience to a certain point.

If my TV blew up tomorrow morning, and I wanted to watch the UFC PPV tomorrow night, Im going to price out and research TVs online from local retailers (BB, FS, London Drugs, Costco, Visions, Brick, etc), pick a TV and go buy it at wherever has it in stock. Im not going to wait a week for it to show up to save $200.

Also, as far as buying from the states, I live 2.5 hours from the border (and we have shipping receivers like you guys do at PR/blaine) so shipping to a receiver across the border essentially costs me 1 day plus fuel. My personal point where the savings offset the time is at minimum like $300. I do tons of buying from the states for big ticket items like tires, Jeep lifts, truck parts, bike parts, etc, but I would never purchase electronics or something that has a high chance of being defective or needing warranty as a return or exchange becomes a nightmare.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #67
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
There was a mass firing at HQ on Wednesday. The VP of Expanded Assortment got fired as well. That's huge news because Expanded Assortment (all the non-electronic stuff you see on the site) is just starting to take off right now.
Got details on this? I'm curious to know who got canned.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #68
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
futureshop and bestbuy are like 5 minutes from each other on the same street in abbotsford. And the bestbuy here SUCKS, hard as hell to find an employee that will help you and its still relatively new.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #69
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
futureshop and bestbuy are like 5 minutes from each other on the same street in abbotsford. And the bestbuy here SUCKS, hard as hell to find an employee that will help you and its still relatively new.
Lots of cities and towns have BB and FS within spiting distance of one another. Here in Langley they're separated by a mere three blocks. Plus they have a ton of other stores to compete with (London Drugs, Wal-Mart, The Source, etc., etc)... and they're all within the same three/four block radius.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #70
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Untrue. Once I started making real money and grew up, it doesnt come down to money anymore. I have no problem paying for convenience to a certain point.

If my TV blew up tomorrow morning, and I wanted to watch the UFC PPV tomorrow night, Im going to price out and research TVs online from local retailers (BB, FS, London Drugs, Costco, Visions, Brick, etc), pick a TV and go buy it at wherever has it in stock. Im not going to wait a week for it to show up to save $200.
Technically to a certain degree you are still price shopping from the local variety. However I understand what you are getting at tho.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #71

the central city locations are litterally side by side, maybe 20 steps between each front door?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #72
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
I think another thing is the types of goods they sell are pretty durable. Its not like someone will go to FS or BB every week to buy a new computer or tv. Most of these things ppl tend to research around and think before they buy these big ticket items and will try to look for the best bang for the buck.

I literally had nothing that I NEEDED during christmas sales. I might want xx but when I compared the local sale prices and online I was like MEH turns out not really much of a sale and passed on the deal.
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #73
I don't get it

economy down....feel sad for all those people losing there jobs!!!!
mercyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #74
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Lots of cities and towns have BB and FS within spiting distance of one another. Here in Langley they're separated by a mere three blocks. Plus they have a ton of other stores to compete with (London Drugs, Wal-Mart, The Source, etc., etc)... and they're all within the same three/four block radius.
lol at least its 3 blocks... here in richmond its all in the same damn mall.... one at a corner and one at the other

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear
LSF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #75
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Lansdowne mall rent is probably pretty cheap so they can afford to do that.
Posted via RS Mobile
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote