REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #76
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
Lansdowne mall rent is probably pretty cheap so they can afford to do that.
Posted via RS Mobile
Lansdowne mall futureshop is also one of the #1 performing future shop in Canada....guess all the fobs don't bother with online shopping
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #77
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Business models are only part of the problem. The stagnation of the technological development of the big ticket items such as TVs, HTs have all pretty much hit a standstill.

10 years ago, we were emerging from SDTV to EDTV and HDTV. We had jumped through several generations of display technology in a matter of 6-7 years.

We had rear projection, projection LCD, DLP, Plasma, and flat panel LCD. Running from 800 for a 32 inch all the way to 5000-6000 for a 50 inch.

And good lord were they unreliable, optical block failures, convergence modules burnouts, color wheel wear outs, plasma burn-in and dim outs, and not to mention standard wear and tear of projection bulbs that run upwards of 200-300.

Nowadays, flat panels are cheap, and reliable. And technology development hasn't changed much, 120hz? 3D? Most consumers don't care about that. I have a flat panel from 2007 and it still going strong without a hitch, and the Canucks on HD still looks as good as ever on it, why should I fork out 1k+ for a new display?

They need to push out some 4k displays along with 4k content if they are planning to drive sales back up soon.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #78
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoc View Post

Nowadays, flat panels are cheap, and reliable. And technology development hasn't changed much, 120hz? 3D? Most consumers don't care about that. I have a flat panel from 2007 and it still going strong without a hitch, and the Canucks on HD still looks as good as ever on it, why should I fork out 1k+ for a new display?

They need to push out some 4k displays along with 4k content if they are planning to drive sales back up soon.
My Panasonic plasma from 2006 is still going strong.

Is there even the bandwidth to support 4K?
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
My Panasonic plasma from 2006 is still going strong.

Is there even the bandwidth to support 4K?
hdmi 1.4 does
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #80
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
That is a good point from 10-5 years ago was the emergence of the newer generation of tech. HDTV, Blueray, even full adoption of DVD was hardly 10 years ago, cell phones, smart phones, mp3 players, digital cameras, the explosion of dSLR. plus all the related accessories to go along with all of that. And all of them came out with big price tags with huge markups and large commissions. Couple that with the economy steam rolling and everyone in an attitude of spending lots of money on consumerism and needing all new stuff to 'get with the times'. It was a fantastic time for retail.

Fast forward to the last 5 years, not much has changed. TVs are about the same, except cheaper, home theater is about the same, a 5 year old digital camera is going to do almost everything a new one will so people arent upgrading, cellphones dont really have a big profit for retailers... plus everyone is still in debt for the shit they bought 5-10 years ago. People just arent spending money like they did.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #81
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
i dont think it has that much to do with technological stagnation
what did they rely on before the DVD and Sony Wega that dominated the living room?
How did they survive the economic slump in the 80's?
it just isn't necessary to have sucha large B&M retail space when you are competiting against online sales
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #82
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Lansdowne mall futureshop is also one of the #1 performing future shop in Canada....guess all the fobs don't bother with online shopping
Posted via RS Mobile
More face if they're seen publicly buying a huge TV of course
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #83
Banned By Establishment

I bet they chose this method of terminating employees to stop any potential internal theft.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #84
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
We still have our big ass Rear projection TV that we had over 10years ago that we use in the kitchen. The only reason we got a new TV last year was because the old one was too bulky and still in letter box.

I been using my desktop for well over 2 years and have no plans to get a new one till it dies. Pretty much all the desktops and laptops in my house have been at least 2+years with no signs of them breaking up.

Why spend the extra money on something when it is still in working conditions. I think for an average person it doesn't really matter much.

There are people who still uses just basic cable with no digital receiver or only have a digital receiver. Economy isn't all the great these days and people aren't spending as much as before.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #85
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
i wouldnt be complaining if i got this

Quote:
Employees at the Nanaimo store were offered eight weeks' pay as severance, plus one week for each year they had worked
Nanaimo Best Buy employees arrive at work to find doors closed
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #86
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
Not bad at all
Considering most companies for part time employee is 2 weeks
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #87
All Day, Err Day Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingies View Post
extra 10% off on the difference
Quote:
Originally Posted by azndude69 View Post
^ it's also this type of misleading advertising that annoys customers.

it's 10% off the price difference, not 10% off the price.
Whoops my bad. It just shows how little I know about the company I work in ahah.

They may not be doing well in-store, but i'm sure they have a better vision and goal towards the online presence as the ecommerce department is growing and that they're doing well.

Feedback of 40-0-0

-kT: "No man get a ruler and look, 12cm is long!"
Nintensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #88
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,212 Times in 188 Posts
I live in the area of the one that closed in Surrey and got an email a couple days ago with a deal to get a $10, $20, $50 or $100 gift card with a $50+, $100+, $250+, or $500+ purchase respectively at either Langley or Surrey Best Buy....not too bad of a deal. I'm still annoyed it closed though
smaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #89
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i dont think it has that much to do with technological stagnation
what did they rely on before the DVD and Sony Wega that dominated the living room?
How did they survive the economic slump in the 80's?
it just isn't necessary to have sucha large B&M retail space when you are competiting against online sales
maybe the people buying those TV's on line of credits are now maxed out and cant afford more electronics? BC and Canada has some of the highest unsecured credit in the world.

maybe high housing prices and high mortgage/shelter costs are eating away at peoples disposable income and there cant afford to spend freely on electronics and gadgets as before?

maybe high dollar allows consumers to go to the US to buy goods?
maybe high cost of real estate forces rents to increase and increases costs?
maybe people buying things online? . . . theres tonnes of possible reasons out there or a combination of all.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #90
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I didn't realize this until I got a FS gift card from a staff draw at work.
But I never go to Futureshop anymore.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #91
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Consumer debt in Canada is at an all time high. Even higher than before the US crashed. I believe many more ppl r realizing this and r spending more time finding better deals if they decide to buy big ticket items.

Plus the strong dollar doesn't help as ppl just flock to the US. I'm guilty of that too but a dollar saved is a dollar earned.
Posted via RS Mobile
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #92
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,806 Times in 1,766 Posts
I could never understand buying stuff like electronics on credit.

It was kind of funny getting a Best Buy flyer in the local paper on Friday. Pretty useless when there's no more Best Buys on the island.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I could never understand buying stuff like electronics on credit.

It was kind of funny getting a Best Buy flyer in the local paper on Friday. Pretty useless when there's no more Best Buys on the island.
my mom bought my first computer when i was grade 8 on credit
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #94
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjew View Post
my mom bought my first computer when i was grade 8 on credit
And she just finished paying it off last month
Old 02-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #95

went to Futureshop at Metrotown today not knowing it's closed but it wasn't part of the 15 locations listed.

Are they gonna be reopening close by? The staff at that location are so miserable but it's the closest location to me
Old 02-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #96
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
station square is being torn down for condo's and stuff last time i heard, so FS closed. There is still the bestbuy down the block
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #97
All Day, Err Day Mod

FS Metro Is one of the highest profitiable locations in the lower mainland (and is also the smallest sq. ft. space). They had to close due to the renovations happening in that area, but will probably re-open with a larger store space once the renovations are over. It wouldn't make sense for FS Metro to permanently close.
Posted via RS Mobile
Nintensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #98

yeah I know they are redeveloping station square...i thought save-on and futureshop would still be opened though.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #99
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

To be blunt, I have never had good service at Futureshop or Bestbuy................I prefer Memory express for my computer needs and their price match system is way better imo.
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:47 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by extracrunchie View Post
To be blunt, I have never had good service at Futureshop or Bestbuy................I prefer Memory express for my computer needs and their price match system is way better imo.
When i went back to return an asus transformer a couple years ago i was met with some resistance. The lady said the box was opened and so it was not returnable. I had to get the manager to tell her to just do it. That's not going to stop me from purchasing from memory express.

Minor service issues i can tolerate if i'm saving a few bucks. Major service problems is a different story.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote