REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Child abuse case in Taiwan - sentence reduced WTF? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/679914-child-abuse-case-taiwan-sentence-reduced-wtf.html)

SkinnyPupp 02-01-2013 09:57 AM

Child abuse case in Taiwan - sentence reduced WTF?

Child abuse case jail terms cut - Taipei Times

Quote:

he list of abuse included the use of a hammer to break the bridge of Wang Hao’s nose as well as his limbs, using needle-nose pliers to rip off his nails, branding the soles of his feet with red-hot iron nails, as well as forcing him to imbibe, or forcibly injecting him with, amphetamines and heroin.
:ahwow:

Quote:

The initial ruling by the Taipei District Court, after Pan sued Liu and the other defendants, gave Liu the death sentence, Chou life imprisonment, Hsu 13 years in prison and Cheng 14 years in prison on murder charges, forceful coercion of a minor by forcefully injecting Wang with class A drugs and illegally selling drugs.
:suspicious:

Quote:

However, the High Court said this week that although the actions of the four defendants were horrendous, Liu had instructed the others to send Wang to the hospital after discovering that Wang had overdosed on drugs and had apologized to Wang’s aunt in court.

Saying this showed that the suspects had not entirely lost their consciences, the court reduced Liu’s sentence to 30 years in jail, while Chou was given 20 years and Hsu nine. Cheng’s sentence remained unchanged at 14 years.
Honestly don't know how to react to this fucked up story... oh well :okay:

darkfroggy 02-01-2013 10:28 AM

Give them all a life sentence... to be served within the general prison populatioon.

melloman 02-01-2013 10:32 AM

Interesting how a simple word saved 1 guy from death, and others from years in prison.

:badpokerface:

FerrariEnzo 02-01-2013 11:14 AM

holy... and I thought Taiwan people werent as cruel as mainland china people... WTF

Ulic Qel-Droma 02-01-2013 11:17 AM

lol.

14-30 years in a taiwanese prison is worse than a 200 year prison sentence here.

after 30 years in there, it won't matter anymore. They'll be released and their lives will be destroyed. They'll probably become those beggars I see outside the night market, or worse, they'll die in prison due to health issues.

the story isn't that fucked up. I thought it would be like reduced to like 2 years or something.

14-30 years is basically life.

GLOW 02-01-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 8148358)
after 30 years in there, it won't matter anymore.

it would to me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 8148358)
14-30 years is basically life.

if i was the family, "basically" won't cut it, i'll take "life" instead

my opinion anyway.

Mr.HappySilp 02-01-2013 12:39 PM

Case like these require "An eye for an eye justice"

Ulic Qel-Droma 02-01-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8148412)
it would to me

if i was the family, "basically" won't cut it, i'll take "life" instead

my opinion anyway.

your opinion doesnt count. even if you were the family.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8148423)
Case like these require "An eye for an eye justice"

no it doesn't.

lol, again, the feeling of the victims do not come into play.

what you feel they should get, doesn't matter.

like i said before... if it were up to the public or victims, we should just execute every single offender for everything. that would be hella satisfying wouldnt it?

but your satisfaction is irrelevant.

it's called the department of justice, not the department of satisfying the public/victims.

twitchyzero 02-01-2013 01:51 PM

30 years is still more than what Canadian justice will consider to child abuse offenders..no?

gunz4hire 02-01-2013 01:52 PM

taiwanese people are the worst

twitchyzero 02-01-2013 01:53 PM

^ agreed...cheap as hell...talk so loud...enjoys eating this tofu that stinks like crap!11 :badpokerface:

Ulic Qel-Droma 02-01-2013 02:20 PM

lol i can agree we are fucking stingy when it comes to money. taiwanese are more traditionalist than any other type of chinese i've met. it's to do with the god damn japanese influence.

StylinRed 02-01-2013 02:48 PM

I don't know Taiwanese news always seems like FOX news to me and when it comes to politics it seems like its straight out of The Onion

And if you saw the Aunt in the press conference you would probably see what I mean; it just seemed so fake, dramatized, over exaggerated

As for that sentence it seem extremely severe for a case that's probably had its details embellished as per tradition for Taiwan

Ulic Qel-Droma 02-01-2013 03:09 PM

lol they should be focusing on how to help the little kid be normal again.

i can guarantee you, no matter what happens to the convicts, its not gonna stop future junkies from repeating the same mistake.

so you gotta ask yourself, if you know it wont stop future junkies from doing the same thing, why are you punishing them?

there's only one answer. for personal satisfaction.

i'm not saying im some saint.

if someone did that to my kid. i know the right thing to do is forgive them and whatever, just forget it.

but if the evil side comes out, i'd probably just shoot the fucker myself.
but then i'd go to jail... and the victims family would probably want me to get life as well, or executed.

see how it doesn't work? LOL.

plus see how i admitted... that is the EVIL side of me?

the problem i have with you guys is... you're not admitting you're being evil.
if you are... then it's fine and dandy, because then that is the perfect excuse to justify an eye for an eye or to watch someone burn.

Akinari 02-01-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunz4hire (Post 8148492)
taiwanese people are the worst

Good luck getting a single piece of electronic equipment for your home PCs if it weren't for us.

Be careful what you say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8148493)
^ agreed...cheap as hell...talk so loud...enjoys eating this tofu that stinks like crap!11 :badpokerface:

You have obviously never been to a dim sum restaurant. The Cantonese language is pronounced in ways that are louder by default. Heck, all Asians talk loud but you'd understand if you knew how loud daily life is in any one of those Asian cities or countries. And I for one actually love eating stinky tofu.

SkinnyPupp 02-01-2013 05:18 PM

And this is why people get banned for saying stupid racist shit. Even if it's just a little comment, it derails threads.

twitchyzero 02-01-2013 05:53 PM

i thought emoticon and !11 would make it look sarcastic :suspicious:
because I'd die for some stinky tofu right about now :joy:

SkinnyPupp 02-01-2013 06:01 PM

No yours was fine, it was "gunz 4 hire" that was malicious and deserving of a ban

BillyBishop 02-01-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8148491)
30 years is still more than what Canadian justice will consider to child abuse offenders..no?

From Wednesday's Province:
Crown requests psych assessment

Quote:

"Ultimately, we're looking for an assessment to be done for the purposes of determining whether he is a long-term or dangerous offender," Poll told reporters outside court.

The designations apply to violent and sexual offenders who pose a high risk of reoffending.

A judge has the option of sentencing a dangerous offender to an indeterminate sentence behind bars - meaning they can remain in jail indefinitely - or to a long-term supervision order following the completion of a specified sentence.

Long-term offenders pose a risk of reoffending but have a reasonable possibility of being controlled in the community.
This is WRT a sexual offender, though.

SpuGen 02-01-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 8148556)
lol they should be focusing on how to help the little kid be normal again.

Toddler died on the way to the hospital.

Part of me wishes death on these individuals. But I know it wouldn't work. And they also wouldn't be suffering enough.

I pray they get whats coming to them in prison. Raped, beat, whatever by the other inmates. Then come back out into society as ruined individuals who have to live out the rest of thier life as beggars.

I have no sympathy for them. at all.

Ulic Qel-Droma 02-01-2013 06:59 PM

lol i dont think you get raped in prisons in asia. that's almost purely an american thing... or a western thing.

in asia the living conditions are shitty. it's more like a concentration camp. corporal punishment is common.

DragonChi 02-01-2013 09:40 PM

Justice will be served when these guys die a slow painful death... hopefully in prison. Inject them with herion, leave them for a month to get drug sick, rinse and repeat. every time rip off a digit, finger nail, all that shit they did to the kid. But most likely, all they'll get is butt rape... maybe.

iEatClams 02-01-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 8148761)
lol i dont think you get raped in prisons in asia. that's almost purely an american thing... or a western thing.

in asia the living conditions are shitty. it's more like a concentration camp. corporal punishment is common.

i have family friends that have been to prison in asia and light security jails in canada. they dont rape, but they say the prisons in Asia are the worst conditions, shietty food, over-crowded, and the guards are looking for any reason to beat inmates and ensure that the inmates are scared and "obey".

Also good luck if you get sick or injured, doctors dont pick up the phones and are eager to come in to help when someone is ill.

124Y 02-03-2013 12:31 AM

I'm in Taiwan right now and this shit was all over the news.

Culverin 02-03-2013 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 8148456)
your opinion doesnt count. even if you were the family.

no it doesn't.

lol, again, the feeling of the victims do not come into play.

what you feel they should get, doesn't matter.

like i said before... if it were up to the public or victims, we should just execute every single offender for everything. that would be hella satisfying wouldnt it?

but your satisfaction is irrelevant.

it's called the department of justice, not the department of satisfying the public/victims.

It's called and eye for an eye, not to satisfy the public/victims.
It's a measurement of justice.

The damage dealt is to the punishment exacted.

So short of torturing those men, the equivalent would be a life lost, a life served.
A life lost to murder is bad.
A life lost to torture, well, they should have the book thrown at them shouldn't they?