REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:51 AM   #226
I don't get it

Maybe it's because she is a chinese vancouverite so i am a little bias towards the importance of this story and the hope of finding her alive (before today), but i noticed besides the local LA news affiliates this story has very little national coverage in the states, not even cracking a link on CNN, nytimes, etc.

Dont get me wrong, i know there are lots more horrible events and crimes that occur in the world which aren't getting the attention they deserve.

But this case feels like more could have been done or her body could have been found sooner if LAPD paid a bit more attention and urgency towards it.
For publicity sake the LAPD should know that a story concerning a foreigner with bizzare evidences of possible foulplay would garnish some international attention, and right now it does not look good for them unless they solve the case.

I feel bad for thinking this but.... after finding out her body has been discovered the first thought that popped into my mind was hangover 1 and 2
Advertisement

Last edited by cow20xx; 02-20-2013 at 03:15 AM.
cow20xx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-20-2013, 03:29 AM   #227
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cow20xx View Post
Maybe it's because she is a chinese vancouverite so i am a little bias towards the importance of this story and the hope of finding her alive (before today), but i noticed besides the local LA news affiliates this story has very little national coverage in the states, not even cracking a link on CNN, nytimes, etc.

Dont get me wrong, i know there are lots more horrible events and crimes that occur in the world which aren't getting the attention they deserve.

But this case feels like more could have been done or her body could have been found sooner if LAPD paid a bit more attention and urgency towards it.
For publicity sake the LAPD should know that a story concerning a foreigner with bizzare evidences of possible foulplay would garnish some international attention, and right now it does not look good for them unless they solve the case.

I feel bad for thinking this but.... after finding out her body has been discovered the first thought that popped into my mind was hangover 1 and 2
i think in the US.. this isnt a big deal because it probably happens so often, thats why
jack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:33 AM   #228
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

friend told me today her body was found in the water tank of a hotel? is this true, any source?
Old 02-20-2013, 03:55 AM   #229
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
friend told me today her body was found in the water tank of a hotel? is this true, any source?
Are you serious??
Posted via RS Mobile
LenovoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:28 AM   #230
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthony View Post
Spend some more time on East Van, then re-watch the video and tell me she doesn't look like a crackhead from 2:00 - 2:40. Its obvious she's high as balls, normal people don't act like that, junkies do.
Posted via RS Mobile
okay since you know so much, I expect what you posted will be what the police conclude, verbatim.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:23 AM   #231
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
SkinnyPupp is a little quick on the fail button. You were right:

Elisa Lam's body found on L.A. hotel rooftop, police confirm | CTV British Columbia News
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #232
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
SkinnyPupp is a little quick on the fail button. You were right:

Elisa Lam's body found on L.A. hotel rooftop, police confirm | CTV British Columbia News

SkinnyPupp failed him because its been posted at 2pm and we have been talking and posting about it all day already.
E60_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #233
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Rarely did anything good happen when people went missing.

It's very sad.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #234
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E60_M5 View Post
SkinnyPupp failed him because its been posted at 2pm and we have been talking and posting about it all day already.
Hmm.

Well I guess that's what happens when you don't follow a thread page by page and don't listen to the news religiously.

I only just heard about this on the radio this morning.

I'll go back under my rock now.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #235
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
This is truly tragic. I am saddened and have chills thinking that this happened to a young girl from Vancouver, also a bit angry.
Did the LAPD not even THINK to search the original building that she disappeared from?! I would have thought that would be been the FIRST thing they did! I mean it's only 15 floors for crying out loud! Not the MGM GRAND! It would have taken half a day at most to send out a small contingent to search all the rooms and roof/electrical room/extra areas. Probably would have found even more things (drug trafficking, etc while your at it) Now while I'm at it, did they bother to check her email, Facebook messages to see if there was contact made to discover maybe what her motive was to go to LA? I would have thought the LAPDA already did that too like 2 weeks ago but if they didn't even bother to check the fucking hotel i have serious doubt they bothered with this either...
Did they find out what the cause of death was? Drowning, overdose, maybe strangled?
To think this incident still MIGHT have had a different outcome if the police actually put some effort into this case is frustrating!...
Spoiler!

Last edited by Obsideon; 02-20-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #236
RS controls my life!

R.I.P

Have been following the story pretty closely. Sad ending. Really wanted to see her found...
Dangerphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #237
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cow20xx View Post

In case you were not aware, there was a maniac running around killing LAPD officers last week. I think they had their hands full, don't you?
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #238
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

watching the elevator video earlier already gave me the creep...
and now they found her in a water tank...which really reminds me of the jhorror film Dark Water

RIP...can't image what her family is going through...
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #239
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

If she was raped, any chance of checking for DNA even if she was drowned?
Are they able to check from the body how many days she was drowned?
Posted via RS Mobile
Amuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #240
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
This is truly tragic. I am saddened and have chills thinking that this happened to a young girl from Vancouver, also a bit angry.
Did the LAPD not even THINK to search the original building that she disappeared from?! I would have thought that would be been the FIRST thing they did! I mean it's only 15 floors for crying out loud! Not the MGM GRAND! It would have taken half a day at most to send out a small contingent to search all the rooms and roof/electrical room/extra areas. Probably would have found even more things (drug trafficking, etc while your at it) Now while I'm at it, did they bother to check her email, Facebook messages to see if there was contact made to discover maybe what her motive was to go to LA? I would have thought the LAPDA already did that too like 2 weeks ago but if they didn't even bother to check the fucking hotel i have serious doubt they bothered with this either...
Did they find out what the cause of death was? Drowning, overdose, maybe strangled?
To think this incident still MIGHT have had a different outcome if the police actually put some effort into this case is frustrating!...
Spoiler!
I don't know how other provinces in Canada operate with respect to missing people, but people in BC should be happy with the amount of time and resources the BC RCMP, and city police in BC spend on these kind of files.

With that said, the LAPD always stated that they considered this situation "suspicious" and had not reason to believe it was a high risk missing, with the information they were given. So maybe they shouldn't really be the one to blame.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #241

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Spoiler!

I completely agree with you. Seems like theres more coverage on
Missing dogs than this case. Im guessing the reason why they didnt check alll the roooms isbecause they need a warrant, or probably cause of foul play or something. I honestly believe the LAPD dropped the ball on this one. If theres no evidence of her leaving the hotel then shes probably still in the hotel. But LAPD obviously never released that info. Just a video of her acting weird for us to debate whether she was on drugs or scared.

Im gonna agree with ur spoiler too, she was in one of the rooms the whole time, and possibly been alive, after a week or two passed they either decided to kill her or get rid of the body in rhe water tank. She could of been found alive or the case could of been solved alot sooner. Doesnt all evidence wash off in water? I remember seeing it on CSI, but i dont know if its true
Posted via RS Mobile
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #242
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
I completely agree with you. Seems like theres more coverage on
Missing dogs than this case.
Posted via RS Mobile
She's not an American & she's not white.

Haven't you learned anything about American News?
MoBettah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #243
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,132 Times in 237 Posts
^ yup that would have been no different than lets say a missing russian foreign exchange student... the only media news that will cover are local base within the city its affected.. never nationwide unless that person of interest has relations to something bigger, like a prime minister or famous person

and they had that christopher donner thing going..

and the reason its a big deal to us and everyone on this forum is because she is from vancouver, hits closer to home.. we may know some people that knew her

too bad that elisa lam facebook page shut down, many people commented the situation about her never left the hotel the day she dissapeared and did suggest she maybe somewhere in there dead or alive.. alot of the stuff that was posted on the wall were pretty spot on what could have happen to her
dub.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #244

Was there any Amber alert in LA?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #245
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

autopsy could be performed as early as Thursday to determine the cause of death
Old 02-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #246

An autopsy has not yet been scheduled for the woman but would likely occur Thursday morning, Los Angeles County coroner's spokesman Ed Winter said.

Winter said investigators were still trying to determine how and why Lam got in the water tank and had "no idea" yet how long she may have been inside. The matter is being treated as a death investigation, he said.

Law enforcement officials familiar with the case said although foul play was always a possibility, they are closely examining whether her death might have been accidental.

Autopsy may answer questions on body found in hotel water tank - latimes.com
Old 02-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #247
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post
errrr amber alerts are for child abductions
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #248
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post
Amber alerts are only for child abduction cases.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #249
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Spoiler!
Laughing while reading that and watching your avatar
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #250
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

News said, they found her naked in the water tank. So if she acted all on her own, where the hell is her clothes? Not on the roof top? Quite obviously someone bought her up in a bag