REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #26
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
If you are violating the restrictions on your DL it is NOT a VALID DL. It is similar to driving without wearing your corrective lens/glasses on,not displaying your L, having too many passengers, texting, consumed drugs/alcohol, driving/riding in restricted time period. It is a restriction that must be observed so that you can drive. Otherwise you could do whatever you wanted until Police stopped you and gave you a VT, then you could just drive away.
Advertisement
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #27
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 109
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
If you are violating the restrictions on your DL it is NOT a VALID DL. It is similar to driving without wearing your corrective lens/glasses on,not displaying your L, having too many passengers, texting, consumed drugs/alcohol, driving/riding in restricted time period. It is a restriction that must be observed so that you can drive. Otherwise you could do whatever you wanted until Police stopped you and gave you a VT, then you could just drive away.
Alright I see
and another thing, about getting your motorcycle Learner's license. Once you have obtained the documentary when can you be legally able to ride alone ? or maybe even with someone? from what i have heard you can just take a test within 1 month of obtaining your learners and you can ride alone ??
skyline32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:26 AM   #28
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
corollagtSr5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: vancouver
Posts: 2,048
Thanked 1,028 Times in 287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline32 View Post
Alright I see
and another thing, about getting your motorcycle Learner's license. Once you have obtained the documentary when can you be legally able to ride alone ? or maybe even with someone? from what i have heard you can just take a test within 1 month of obtaining your learners and you can ride alone ??
For motorcycle, after 14 days of getting your class 8L you can take the mst (motorcycle skills test) after you pass you can ride by yourself with your learners, but you have a curfew. Can't ride at night or something.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:42 AM   #29
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 19
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline32 View Post
totally agreeable, guess it isnt worth it

btw whats the yearly insurance rate for New Drivers? anyone care to share? and is there a way around to paying the full amount? i heard from a friend that i can use, my father's insurance and have him put my name under his insurance? so that i would have his 43% etc?

thanks
Every year of driving you collect 5% discount for your insurance up to a maximum of 43% I believe
BustinANut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #30
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
btw whats the yearly insurance rate for New Drivers? anyone care to share? and is there a way around to paying the full amount? i heard from a friend that i can use, my father's insurance and have him put my name under his insurance? so that i would have his 43% etc?

The law requires the primary operator to be listed on the regsitration. If the car is regsitered in your father's name but you really are the primary driver then you are committing fraud. If reported to the MVB you will be subject to huge fines by ICBC. Get involved in a crash and get a payout, they will take you to court, the money paid out will be reclaimed, plus a huge penalty and you also will be on the hook for the legal charges. The premium rate is based on driving experience and risk. Both things a new driver has to prove to pay less.

I alerted ICBC when I encountered what I suspected was fraud being commited. Pretty easy to tell if a young person or a 50 year old Dad is the real owner. I know that they reversed damage claims and prosecuted 3 drivers that I told them about. Not fair for the rest of us to pay for a new driver who breaks the rules. You earn your "discount" by demonstrating your ability to drive safely over a number of years. You could take some additional driving courses in the meantime. I know that private insurers will give you price reductions for the non-mandatory coverage. That's about the only legal way to go.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 2,110
Thanked 755 Times in 339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
[I][B]

I alerted ICBC when I encountered what I suspected was fraud being commited. Pretty easy to tell if a young person or a 50 year old Dad is the real owner. I know that they reversed damage claims and prosecuted 3 drivers that I told them about. Not fair for the rest of us to pay for a new driver who breaks the rules. You earn your "discount" by demonstrating your ability to drive safely over a number of years. You could take some additional driving courses in the meantime. I know that private insurers will give you price reductions for the non-mandatory coverage. That's about the only legal way to go.
Curious, how do you know it wasn't a young person borrowing the Dad's car?.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 2,110
Thanked 755 Times in 339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustinANut View Post
Every year of driving you collect 5% discount for your insurance up to a maximum of 43% I believe

Each year since you get your learner's licence actually. That's why parents should push their kids to do the test when they hit 16. Even if they don't want to drive, that's 5% accumulating each year. No brainer.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #33
The Lone Wanderator
 
Graeme S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 12,089
Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Curious, how do you know it wasn't a young person borrowing the Dad's car?.
A buddy of mine in highschool drove "His Dad's" car. An IROC-Z with subs and underglow.

While you can't be certain, you can definitely relay your suspicions.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #34
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Curious, how do you know it wasn't a young person borrowing the Dad's car?.
Dad was 50 plus years old. Car was a 5 litre Mustang with all the bells and whistles, underglow, extra illegal lights, headling & tail light covers, decals, flames...and oh yes, the entire back seat was removed and replaced with about 50,000 watts of ear bleeding stereo system. I took a WAG that it was not really Dad's car...that, plus the fact that I had stopped the young driver 3times myself after citizen driving complaints of him ripping the street where he lived at all hours. All the neighbours where he lived said that nobody but the kid drove the car. ICBC agreed with me.

Another one involved 2 brothers who were flipping high-powered cars every couple of weeks, locals complained about their ripping the 'hood, I had repeated encounters with them. They changed cars so often I didn't know who I had stopped till I had them curbside for VTs. Mum registered all the cars in her name because of their terrible driving records. ICBC cancelled the registration of all the cars "she owned" and went after her for fraud, or so I was told.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net