REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   REVscene Motorsports (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscene-motorsports_26/)
-   -   Vancouver autocross scene (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680559-vancouver-autocross-scene.html)

JimFarcus 02-16-2013 04:33 PM

Vancouver autocross scene

Hey,
I am looking to get into autocross and wondering where the best place to start is. Thanks for all your help in advance. Jim

dared3vil0 02-16-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimFarcus (Post 8161673)
Hey,
I am looking to get into autocross and wondering where the best place to start is. Thanks for all your help in advance. Jim

Wouldn't mind hearing an answer myself.

Traum 02-16-2013 04:35 PM

VCMC Motorsport Club Forums
UBC Sports Car Club • Index page

UBCSCC is holding the last 2 of their winter Slush Series events on Sun, Feb 24 and Sun, March 10. Both events are held at the BC Driving Center / Justice Institute driving pad at the Pitt Meadows airport.

VCMC will likely start their season off in April. Traditionally, they will also hold a driver clinic called the Velocity Driving School early in the season (think April / May-ish), and sometimes offer the course again later in the season. Last year, Velocity was $175, but as every participant will tell you, it is one smoking bargain. UBCSCC also holds an AutoX 101 driving school, but that one tends to come in the Sept/Oct time frame.

Between the 2 clubs, VCMC is the more serious / hardcore group, while UBCSCC has a more laid back flavour to it. But there is a lot of overlap between the members, and you'll repeatedly see some the same people at events held by both groups.

spoonek4 02-16-2013 11:12 PM

Would love to see more people getting into the autocross scene. It's fun & relatively affordable....still. Unless you are really up there playing with the top guns trying hard to win something at SCCA National in Packwood

Please do make sure your exhaust is relatively quiet & try not to cause excessive wheel spin(tire noise) though in case you don't know, coz noise is a pretty sensitive thing at BC Driving Centre @ Pitt Meadows right now. So we really need to respect the neighbors around. Big power, loud exhaust & excessive wheel spin doesn't always equals to quicker run anyway...

cho 02-16-2013 11:17 PM

went for my first autox event with ubcscc at slush 5, would HAVE to do it agian for sure!

dared3vil0 02-16-2013 11:17 PM

Hey quick question spoon, If i register for an event, Pay the $50 fee, All i have to do is show up at 7:30am with my car, myself and that's it?

cho 02-16-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dared3vil0 (Post 8161950)
Hey quick question spoon, If i register for an event, Pay the $50 fee, All i have to do is show up at 7:30am with my car, myself and that's it?

if with ubcscc, youll go through a course walk, then have a metting with all the other new people (assuming you're new), theyll let you know if you're going first, on break, or working the course

Traum 02-16-2013 11:42 PM

For the novices attending local autox events, when you check in with the club volunteer in the morning, as long as you tell the club volunteer that you are a novice and would like to get some assistance from senior drivers, both VCMC and UBCSCC will almost certainly go out of their way to try and find you a veteran to show you the ropes, be it analyzing the course during the morning course walk, having a senior driver sit in your run and help critic your drive, or to sit in some of the senior driver's car to see how it is done. Don't be afraid to ask.

spoonek4 02-17-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8161971)
For the novices attending local autox events, when you check in with the club volunteer in the morning, as long as you tell the club volunteer that you are a novice and would like to get some assistance from senior drivers, both VCMC and UBCSCC will almost certainly go out of their way to try and find you a veteran to show you the ropes, be it analyzing the course during the morning course walk, having a senior driver sit in your run and help critic your drive, or to sit in some of the senior driver's car to see how it is done. Don't be afraid to ask.

Agreed with what Traum said...getting a senior driver to show you around. Get a ride in his car and get the senior to ride with you, point you through the sea of cone will help quite a bit

other suggestion would be clearing out the stuff in your car, doesn't matte rin the cabin or in your trunk....all loose object should be removed. Floor mats(carpet/all weather mats) should be removed doesn't matter they're hooked on or not. Bring enough clothes, a pair of spare shoes & socks, rain jacket/umbrella if it's gonna be raining that day. Extra bottle of gatorade or water would help if you attend the events in the summer. Bring a tire pressure gauge to check tire pressure changes if you like.

If you maintain your car by a licensed tech or at dealership according to service interval you shouldn't have much problem passing tech. They would mostly look for bad throttle cable, battery or intake that's not secured, bucket seat that's not secured, bad seat belt, cars with fluid leak left/right/center, missing lug nuts, etc etc....

some_punk 02-17-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonek4 (Post 8161988)
Agreed with what Traum said...getting a senior driver to show you around. Get a ride in his car and get the senior to ride with you, point you through the sea of cone will help quite a bit

other suggestion would be clearing out the stuff in your car, doesn't matte rin the cabin or in your trunk....all loose object should be removed. Floor mats(carpet/all weather mats) should be removed doesn't matter they're hooked on or not. Bring enough clothes, a pair of spare shoes & socks, rain jacket/umbrella if it's gonna be raining that day. Extra bottle of gatorade or water would help if you attend the events in the summer. Bring a tire pressure gauge to check tire pressure changes if you like.

If you maintain your car by a licensed tech or at dealership according to service interval you shouldn't have much problem passing tech. They would mostly look for bad throttle cable, battery or intake that's not secured, bucket seat that's not secured, bad seat belt, cars with fluid leak left/right/center, missing lug nuts, etc etc....

I am the tech guy with ubcscc, basically i look for cracked windshields, secure battery, topped up brake fluid, helmet that is newer than snell 2000, tires that aren't old, cracked, dried out, tumored, or bald. and nothing loose in the car.

spoonek4 02-17-2013 12:57 AM

Even you aren't gonna run that day. Try to go out to spectate, walk the course & get rides from seniors.

How to read cones & course map is very important.

46_valentinor 02-17-2013 02:28 AM

i've participated in 2 or 3 events last year, it was awesome!
does anyone know if you are required to have your full license to run with vcmc? im planning on getting my sister who just turned 16 to join the velocity school and also run with vcmc this season.

68style 02-17-2013 07:34 AM

I used to do it all the time when it was at Boundary Bay... but as soon as it moved away I got lazy haha... been kinda thinking about coming out again

CorneringArtist 02-17-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46_valentinor (Post 8162047)
does anyone know if you are required to have your full license to run with vcmc? im planning on getting my sister who just turned 16 to join the velocity school and also run with vcmc this season.

As far as I know, a minor's wavier has to be signed, but if someone would like to help me on this, I think an N minimum is required?
Posted via RS Mobile

some_punk 02-17-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorneringArtist (Post 8162087)
As far as I know, a minor's wavier has to be signed, but if someone would like to help me on this, I think an N minimum is required?
Posted via RS Mobile

I think we still allow L's to go as long as they follow all the restrictions on the back

Traum 02-17-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Best to post this question up on the VCMC forum. But I think it is fine as long as the girl has a valid L licence.

ilvtofu 02-17-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

can't wait to do some vcmc events this season :badpokerface:

SolidPenguin 02-17-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8162178)
Best to post this question up on the VCMC forum. But I think it is fine as long as the girl has a valid L licence.

And drive under the 60km/h max limit for L's? :lol

Traum 02-17-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidPenguin (Post 8162280)

In my pos beater, most of the time I can't break the 60km/h mark on the autox course. :failed: :lol

some_punk 02-17-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidPenguin (Post 8162280)

I remember we did allow people with L's at our event, and i think it is only class 6L that has speed restrictions

freakshow 02-18-2013 10:42 AM

I'm only available for events on Saturday. Would one club be better than the other given that?

Traum 02-18-2013 10:57 AM

I say it'd be about the same between the 2 clubs -- from my experience, most events are held on Sunday for a variety of reasons. However, driving school events (Velocity / Autox 101) are almost always held on a Saturday.

As a participant, I love doing Saturday events since it means I don't have to drag my exhausted corpse back to the office the following day. But for the organizers, doing Saturday events are significantly more challenging because it means all the setup work needs to be done on Friday -- and most of the organizers have this rather inconvenient thing called "day jobs" that kind of gets in the way. It's easier when there are more volunteers coming out to help, but the limited number of daylight hours after 5pm still puts a significant strain on organizing Saturday events.

jaemc 02-18-2013 11:08 AM

Karelo.com - Register - UBC Sports Car Club

Anybody want to come with me this Sunday?

gars 02-18-2013 01:25 PM

I'm registered to be there this weekend already. My buddy and I will be doing waivers at the gate when you come in. Come say hi!

jaemc 02-18-2013 04:34 PM

Nice! I'll say hi for sure