REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #51
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I love the truck but for that kind of money I'd buy a diesel truck. Way better reliability or even an Eco boost for better fuel economy. But judging by the other cars on ur list fuel economy is not a worry for u so all the power to u. Still a sweet truck.
Advertisement
92 Ford Festiva aka the FASTiva (Big GoKart)
08 GSX-R 600 (Sold)
90 Acura Integra Beater (Sold)
97 Jeep Tj Sahara (Sold)
93 Si Hatch Turbo'd IC'd 11 psi (Sold)
1992 Jeep Cherokee LTD (RIP)
1990 MitsubishEagle Talon Tsi (Sold)
brute_4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #52
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brute_4s View Post
I love the truck but for that kind of money I'd buy a diesel truck. Way better reliability or even an Eco boost for better fuel economy. But judging by the other cars on ur list fuel economy is not a worry for u so all the power to u. Still a sweet truck.
Today's diesel truck engines are no more or less reliable than their gas engine counterparts. If anything, I'd argue that my 5.0L gas V8 is MORE reliable than the new ecoboost or even the diesel. It's less complicated, runs cooler, and runs under less compression than the turboed motors. I would comfortably say it's one of the best V8 engines ever made, considering power, economy and reliability.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #53
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
Today's diesel truck engines are no more or less reliable than their gas engine counterparts. If anything, I'd argue that my 5.0L gas V8 is MORE reliable than the new ecoboost or even the diesel. It's less complicated, runs cooler, and runs under less compression than the turboed motors. I would comfortably say it's one of the best V8 engines ever made, considering power, economy and reliability.
i guess i shouldnt have said more reliable as all cars are made to be reliable nowadays and not just toys. what i meant to say is that a diesel's life expectancy is generally longer than the average gas motors. ive seen considerably more diesel engines roll over 400,000 kms than i have gas engines do that unless we're talking toyotas or something.
92 Ford Festiva aka the FASTiva (Big GoKart)
08 GSX-R 600 (Sold)
90 Acura Integra Beater (Sold)
97 Jeep Tj Sahara (Sold)
93 Si Hatch Turbo'd IC'd 11 psi (Sold)
1992 Jeep Cherokee LTD (RIP)
1990 MitsubishEagle Talon Tsi (Sold)
brute_4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #54
racing & tech mod.

They don't have 400,000kms on them JUST because they are reliable. They have that many KMs because they are WORKHORSES and they are driven A LOT. And they are serviced A LOT.

Most gas cars or trucks never even get the chance to make it to 400,000kms because they are traded-in or scrapped or worthless by the time they hit 200,000km.

There are gas and LPG taxis and cop cars and other service vehicles that hit 400,000km on the original engines.. you just never see them because no one wants them when they are 'retired' from service.. hell, my '99 528i has 337,000km on the original engine!! It's not because it's a 'good engine' but because it was driven A LOT and serviced to the tits! But for some reason, people still want those old 7L diesel Fords because mechanics say they are easy to work on.

I'm not trying to shit on diesel engines, they are great, but it bugs me when people say diesel this and diesel that and they don't even really understand the whole picture.

Sorry for Hijacking this thread!!!
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #55
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brute_4s View Post
i guess i shouldnt have said more reliable as all cars are made to be reliable nowadays and not just toys. what i meant to say is that a diesel's life expectancy is generally longer than the average gas motors. ive seen considerably more diesel engines roll over 400,000 kms than i have gas engines do that unless we're talking toyotas or something.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #56
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
i would actually put a vote to the opposite and say diesels are overall less reliable than gas trucks. the engine itself may last longer, but to get it there is going to cost in the service area.

my f150 with a 4.6L V8 has 360k on it with nothing done to it other that your usual plugs and wires. which is generally rather inexpensive.

on the other hand, any diesel newer than about 02 is considered to be fairly unreliable unless maintenance is followed right to the letter. and that maintenance isnt a $39 oil change. you're talking $150-$200 oil changes, and any repair is going to come in at $500-$2000, and fairly regular. sure there are lots of old 5.9L dodge diesels, and ford 7.3L diesels with 400k on them, but most of them have had service money put into them to keep them going, and the newer the engine generation, the worse they get.

you see more diesels with high K because those trucks are built to last in a work environment. smaller gas trucks fall apart in 15 years and get scrapped.

service cost of ownership per km, gas wins hands down.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #57
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
If you've never owned a big truck before, the only advice I have is to plan ahead for parking before leaving home. If you have an appointment downtown, plan to be there 10-15min EARLY so you can find an outdoor parking lot, because about 75-90% of empty street parking is too tight for my truck (crew cab short box) and you won't be able to get into many undergounds. Sometimes you luck out though. Don't worry too much about door dings.. most ppl's car doors will hit your running board before they hit your door panel.
Thanks for the tips
VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #58
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D View Post
F YH!

I can be like this guy in my later days....

Irate Redneck Goes HAM On Neighbor. - YouTube

Not interested in a Landrover. They are pretty fugly and super unreliable and they have deep depreciation. I want to keep my next DD for at least 8+ years and be able to tow 7000 pounds, possibly.
Get a new Dodge then. They have an air suspension which is supposed to make for a really smooth ride and automatically levels the truck when towing. The Laramie is a luxury vehicle inside.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #59
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990TSI View Post
I've worked on a few raptors and they are 100% awesome. From a reliability stand point they are great, I haven't had one come in with any problems at all. They seem expensive, yes, but build a loaded f150 and the raptor starts to seem like a good deal. Especially considering the options it comes with stock. Many of the f150s I work on are very similar msrp but not raptor.
I think the Raptor should also hold value a bit better. $10k price difference now might work out if you try to sell it in 5 years.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:38 AM   #60
Hex
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Dunno if OP is still planning on a Raptor, but thought I'd chime in since I own one.

I wouldn't worry about the bent frames.. I'll tell you this, any one of those guys with the bent frames.. earned it. You can't blame stupid on Ford. And hate to say it, but pickup trucks just like performance cars... tend to attract a whole lot of stupid. Anyone who thinks they can do what they see in a commercial, is a moron.. plain and simple.

As far as reliability... We've had several fords.. and have never had any of these over sensationalized issues people like to invent. (Usually people who own or favor another auto maker.. and who do not own the vehicle they are bashing or know ONE guy who experienced it...). All brands are going to suffer issues. Not all vehicles are going to experience them. Especially if you take care of them.

Our Screw Lariat is going on 11-12 years now? No problems beyond regular wear small things.... above average mileage.
That was the 5.4L.. Still looks great, still runs fine, no rust issues.

Have had the Raptor with the 6.2L for 2.5 years now? Have had no problems. Quality of both trucks has been fantastic. Raptor is my daily. I commute... roughly 24,000km per year mixed driving. I have been off road.. The raptors fantastic... Contrary to popular misconceptions this is not simply a "desert Baja truck" it's a truck. With off road capabilities, targeted at people who will mostly use it ON ROAD. It is a very comfortable city/highway commuter. I have friends who drive higher end luxury vehicles who claim it's more comfortable on the road in the Raptor... The seats are amazing, road noise is minimal, and the suspension feels great. The engineers themselves have said time and time again, it is intended for mostly on road driving, with off road capabilities. Off road does not mean desert. Have been out with several other Raptors for some off roading, and a lot of the Raptor guys have been rock crawling, mudding, and they do a massive winter event too. Sure you can find more purpose built vehicles, that are better at specific things, but it is a pretty good all round truck. Winter is cake. I've never had to use 4x4 on the road. And have never lost traction unintentionally. (stock tires) And in fact... I've still got a good amount of tread left on my factory tires.

Insulting the towing capacities is pretty pointless. It is not intended for that. They tow just fine, guys tow their show cars, or their boats or trailers just fine. But if you want a tow/haul truck...That really isn't the raptors intended purpose. For most people it hauls more than enough. Not everyone tows their home.

I also had a car that ran on premium and got 18mpg (13L/100km) - 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS.. And hate to break it to you.. but you are definitely going to feel a hole burning much deeper in your pockets in the Raptor. A lot of guys on the forums get single digit MPG. I am getting 11 mpg (21L/100km) mixed driving now, and that is after breakin improvements. I started out single digit mpg too.

Yearly fuel costs approx. 7.5k A full tank is not 200 bucks.. Closer to 160-170 depending on prices.

Our Lariat is a Supercrew, My Raptor is a Supercab. It is super easy to park the supercab raptor. It's wider, shorter, higher... It honestly is 10x easier to park than my Camaro was.. in spite of it's size. It's easier to park than a supercrew... and easier than a mini van. I would say it's comparable to a lot of average sized cars as far as ease... because you are high up with great visibility and the turning radius is surprisingly good. I do not have a backup camera, or sensors. Never had a problem.

Outdoor parking lots are not really an issue... as someone pointed out, door dings are unlikely. 99% of the time if someones dumb enough to swing their door out, it's going to hit the side step which is not going to be kind to their paint. But I've never had an issue parking in lots, and leaving enough room for people to get out. Center it.. Or take the end spots. I can even fit into "small car" spots. It blows my mind when I see little cars over the lines.. Just shows how careless people are when the Raptor fits just fine. A Raptor will fit in the small car spots just barely.. Tires will be just at the lines on each side. (Fold in ur mirrors). But realistically... Don't park in small car spaces.. Self explanatory.

Street parking is fine... I don't know why anybody would have problems parking on the street. I am downtown during peak hours all the time. No issues.

Parkades are a different story. The Raptor is about 6'8. Some parkades will say 6'9 or whatever, but they have inclines and shit hanging from the ceiling that.... will disagree with the 6'8 height still. I avoid most parkades, but you'll learn which ones you can fit in.. And at least they all have the height posted at the entrance. Anything 6'10 - 7'0 + worry free. Your antenna might take a beating and probably give you a heartattack the first time it goes mental on the ceiling.

Worth noting.... Some outdoor parking lots do have cross beams... that will rip your roof off... For example... Metrotown, going from Chapters towards Sears. That bar right there.. Don't bother. You're not going to see a lot of smiles when you're forcing everyone behind you to back up so you can get back out. And it's extra awful if it's a busy day.. Fun watching 4-5 cars reversing in your rear view.
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:12 AM   #61
Hex
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

A few more thoughts...

- Can't stress enough, make sure you're ready for the gas bill. I thought I was... coming from the 6.2L Camaro which I fueled strictly with 94 octane. getting 13L/100km... It really is the only downside.

-Test drive... before you decide on Supercrew/Scab.. I really dislike the supercrew... It makes a huge difference in handling/turning. The larger fuel tank is great in the Screw though.. The leg room in the back of the Scab is just fine. I've never had anyone complain... Front passengers gotta unbuckle to let rear passengers in though. And floor space is reduced if you get the amp.

-If you get the bed extender... Line-X your bed right away. The extender will strip paint. exposed metal will eventually rust.. etc... Besides, only a matter of time before you slip back there on the bare paint while you wash the roof.

-Raptor's don't like to fit in most home garages.

Raptor does get quite a bit of attention... I get stopped all the time to talk about it.
Often... However, coming from the Camaro to the Raptor, the Male:Female attention ratio definitely swayed more to the Male side in the Raptor.. lol

They are not rare, but they really are not all that common out here. Some days I might run into 3-4 and then not see any for a month straight. And even then its usually the same Raptors I see, in the same areas.

Get ready to deal with lots of douches in Fit's / Yaris / Prius... Seems like a lot of little cars have something to prove. Next in line would be any truck that isn't a Ford.. Stereotypical brand rivalry never fails. Can't tell you how many douchey truck drivers want to try and start a race. Small cars will always try to cut you off... Either A. because they assume you're going to be slow. Or B. because they can't past you from behind. Or C, because you are pretty much Satan for driving a big truck. A lot of sports cars or nicer cars, will not drive nearby... Probably because the Raptor tires throw everything up in the air.

-Invest in mudflaps. The Raptor will not stay clean for 2 minutes without them. Seriously.. rain/dirt/sand/mud/rocks... Watch the rooster tails up both sides of the truck everywhere you go if you don't install flaps.

I love the Raptor, but personally I am probably parting with it in the near future. 7.5K per year on gas is mental.
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote