REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Thoughts on a SVT Raptor? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680704-thoughts-svt-raptor.html)

VRYALT3R3D 02-19-2013 07:24 PM

Thoughts on a SVT Raptor?

I am thinking of possibly picking one up at the end of the year as a DD...thoughts?

Note: I am aware of the shitty MPG.

El Bastardo 02-19-2013 07:28 PM

They're hot. I like them.

heleu 02-19-2013 07:31 PM

They're expensive, but awesome.

...but where would you use one locally? You need to drive pretty far to find sand dunes, and it's not built to be a rock crawler.

Mr.Money 02-19-2013 07:41 PM

VRYALT3R3D 02-19-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heleu (Post 8164519)
They're expensive, but awesome.

...but where would you use one locally? You need to drive pretty far to find sand dunes, and it's not built to be a rock crawler.

Yeah they are. I priced one out and with incentives I'm looking at $61k-66k depending on the options.

Honestly, I'd probably barely use it offroad. I sort of want a badass, and very different DD that stands out. I am also doing some weird cross shopping and I looked at a '13 C63 and a '13 300 SRT8. I wasn't really a fan of the Mercedes though. SO that is probably out. I also like to travel a lot, and this is pretty much nearly invincible in the snow.

For 2013 it has:
Heated/Cooled Seats
My Ford Touch
Front and Rear Camera
Projector HIDs
And cool stuff like this:
http://media.ford.com/images/10031/031011_truck_App.jpg
and so on

MarkyMark 02-19-2013 07:46 PM

I love that truck, if I could afford it I'd have one.
Posted via RS Mobile

MindBomber 02-19-2013 07:54 PM

The Raptor is a cool truck, I'd love to own one.

The catch: I would only purchase one as an addition to a stable of a dozen other vehicles.

The Raptor has numerous bespoke features which are not shared with other F-series trucks and that's reflected in the price. Those expensive features enable the truck to do amazing things in certain types of terrain, which happen to not be readily accessible locally.

If I were in the market for a cool looking truck with wicked performance, I'd be looking at modifying a standard F150, Ram, Silverado, Taco, and would be looking at Jeeps too. Going this route, you'll be able to build something suited to exactly your tastes with features you'll actually use and quite possibly spend less doing it.

A SRT-10 would be very high on my list of consideration for "factory tuner" daily driven trucks, and if I wanted an off-road toy, I'd throw another $5-10k on a built 4runner. Best of both worlds; Viper engine for the street, and body panels I can scratch and dent without a second thought for the trail.

GabAlmighty 02-19-2013 07:59 PM

For what they are they're sweet, i'd rock one for sure.

tofu1413 02-19-2013 08:08 PM

+1 to rocking one.

perhaps one of the coolest trucks out there for the average consumer!

dared3vil0 02-19-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D (Post 8164534)
Yeah they are. I priced one out and with incentives I'm looking at $61k-66k depending on the options.

Honestly, I'd probably barely use it offroad. I sort of want a badass, and very different DD that stands out. I am also doing some weird cross shopping and I looked at a '13 C63 and a '13 300 SRT8. I wasn't really a fan of the Mercedes though. SO that is probably out. I also like to travel a lot, and this is pretty much nearly invincible in the snow.

For 2013 it has:
Heated/Cooled Seats
My Ford Touch
Front and Rear Camera
Projector HIDs
And cool stuff like this:
http://media.ford.com/images/10031/031011_truck_App.jpg
and so on

That off road screen honestly isn't very useful... I have it in an F150 (NOT A RAPTOR) and for the ~5 ish times i've had it off road, it's been useful a grand total of 0 times. If you're not going to use it off road why buy it? Just buy like an FX2 or a Lariat. Just my .02

Brianrietta 02-19-2013 08:23 PM

Love Raptors. I particularly like that Rigid and VisionX make kits for easy applications of LED's. Not a fan of the dark. Rigid 40" behind the grill:

BrRsn 02-19-2013 08:24 PM

Why no jeep srt8?
Aside from the fact that there's a wait-list for them, it is in the same price range and fun as hell to drive

Raptor is a sweet truck though, either way you'll be happy

tee-tea 02-19-2013 08:27 PM

+1 I would kill someone for one

gilly 02-20-2013 11:55 AM

coworker has one. the truck is massive.

604STIG 02-20-2013 01:05 PM

Those trucks are insane, I'd definitely jump all over one if I ever had a chance.

slicrick 02-20-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D (Post 8164534)

they are awesome trucks my neighbour has one it's pretty cool, (I'm not trying to discourage or say anything bad about ford)

this probably wouldn't affect you but he told me something about bent frames being a problem it hasn't affected him SVT boss goes on record about Ford Raptor frame damage claims [w/video] http://i.imgur.com/gLfYQ.jpg http://www.gotsvt.com/pics/var/resiz...G?m=1308937393

I'm sure it's a lot to do with how you treat/use the truck. After seeing some of the video's I have seen of people "off roading" in them this is stuff that would bend damn near any frame

my neighbour really likes his and it has not given him any problems he doesn't baby it but doesn't use it like some of the people on youtube and stuff if you can afford it and like I would say go for it also they are really cool trucks

cdizzle_996 02-20-2013 03:58 PM

My old man has one. Great truck, but be prepared to spend a small fortune on fuel.

I took it to Kelowna over the holidays, averaged 14mpg driving it normally..

stewie 02-20-2013 04:18 PM

I originally wanted one but ended up with the lariat.

Just didn't seem worth it. Sure it has some awesome bells and whistles, but they'll never be put to use in the bush.
If you want a truck that's probably better, just build up an old pick up, it's cheaper and if your going into the bush to 4x4, you WILL eventually break something.

Easier to buy parts for an old truck than these.

But none the less, it's a fucking sexy beast, if you've got the cash for it, then go for it!

:p just remember, from empty to full, it's aprox 200$ in gas :p
Posted via RS Mobile

VRYALT3R3D 02-20-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slicrick (Post 8165199)
they are awesome trucks my neighbour has one it's pretty cool, (I'm not trying to discourage or say anything bad about ford)

this probably wouldn't affect you but he told me something about bent frames being a problem it hasn't affected him SVT boss goes on record about Ford Raptor frame damage claims [w/video] http://i.imgur.com/gLfYQ.jpg http://www.gotsvt.com/pics/var/resiz...G?m=1308937393

I'm sure it's a lot to do with how you treat/use the truck. After seeing some of the video's I have seen of people "off roading" in them this is stuff that would bend damn near any frame

my neighbour really likes his and it has not given him any problems he doesn't baby it but doesn't use it like some of the people on youtube and stuff if you can afford it and like I would say go for it also they are really cool trucks

I know all about that, the owner was an idiot. The other idiots who had their frame bent did either one of these two:
1. Modified stock suspension and went way too fast offroad(Raptors aren't invincible)
2. Towed way beyond its rating. I think the crew cab is rated at 6k#s and someone towed 12000 pounds and wondered why it bent.

RHMadness 02-20-2013 04:30 PM

I looked at a raptor before i bought my ram.. They are nice trucks but not worth the serious coin.. GO with a top of the line RAM 1500.. They are bad ass trucks.. then you can come muddin with us haha

hkRicer 02-20-2013 04:38 PM

When i see a truck pull up all I can think of are rednecks, hillbillies and country music :troll:

60-70k can probably get you a nice used landrover for dd

some_punk 02-20-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkRicer (Post 8165312)
When i see a truck pull up all I can think of are rednecks, hillbillies and country music :troll:

yes buy a used suv that will have alot more problems than the ford, and cost alot more to repair than the ford.

VRYALT3R3D 02-20-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkRicer (Post 8165312)

F YH!

I can be like this guy in my later days....

Not interested in a Landrover. They are pretty fugly and super unreliable and they have deep depreciation. I want to keep my next DD for at least 8+ years and be able to tow 7000 pounds, possibly.

MindBomber 02-20-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D (Post 8165331)
F YH!

I can be like this guy in my later days....

Irate Redneck Goes HAM On Neighbor. - YouTube

Not interested in a Landrover. They are pretty fugly and super unreliable. I want to keep my next DD for at least 8+ years and be able to tow 7000 pounds, possibly.

Raptors don't make the best tow vehicles because of the soft race suspension, you might want to look into that a bit if towing is a consideration.

VRYALT3R3D 02-20-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 8165341)
Raptors don't make the best tow vehicles because of the soft race suspension, you might want to look into that a bit if towing is a consideration.

I did. There are plenty of people who tow with the Super crewcab Raptors and have no issues with it.

http://i44.tinypic.com/nsv8w.jpg
(...lol)