REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Two visible minorities host SportsCentre...backlash follows

Thoughts?

In 2013, is it uncomfortable to see two non-white males do the sports highlights? I mean, TV stations, more and more, are hiring personalities that better reflect their audience.

We see many more women watching sports, and as a result, more woman are in sports broadcasting. You have lots of visible minorities watching sports, so you add some colour to your station.

That obviously shouldn't be the only job requirement. I watch TSN, Sportsnet, the Score all the time and for the most part, the on-air personalities, regardless of ethnicity are damn good at what they do. It makes no difference to me. Sure, Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole have wicked chemistry and I too like to see them more often than not.

Of course people are free to have their opinions, but posting ignorant comments with some having major racial overtones...the backlash will have backlash.

Gurdeep Ahluwalia and Nabil Karim hosted Sportscentre

Excerpt:

Quote:
Anyone old enough to read this is too old to need a reminder about the evils of racism. It's just disappointing, if not surprising, when this happens.

Tuesday's late-night TSN Sportscentre was hosted by Gurdeep Ahluwalia and Nabil Karim. There was a backlash on Twitter in 2012 when Ahluwalia and Karim, who are both brown men, debuted with the network. Tuesday was just as bad for comments that, rather than put a damning label on people, should just be called dumb.

One has to wonder where people are coming from when they cannot handle having two brown men narrating sports highlights. One can understand a disappointed reaction upon tuning in and not seeing the familiar faces of funnymen Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole at the anchor desk. But how does it go from that to this?
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Honestly, I hate nabil karim because he's a terrible broadcaster. During the euros he was there "overseas connection" and did a cringe worthy terrible job. About as bad as craig forest
Posted via RS Mobile
predom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
you can thank American Media and the Harper govt. and Canadian Fox News stations like SunNews for slanting Canadian views against minorities, especially against arabs & muslims; so it shouldn't be much of a surprise even though it's so sad to see
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by predom View Post
Honestly, I hate nabil karim because he's a terrible broadcaster. During the euros he was there "overseas connection" and did a cringe worthy terrible job. About as bad as craig forest
Posted via RS Mobile
Does Canada even have a desirable soccer broadcaster or commentator? Most of the guys that cover it are has been athletes from England...kind of like Forrest. ??
Old 02-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
I never remember the names of commentators but wasn't a former Team Canada player doing all the soccer stuff?
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
I didn't really think much of it ... i just thought it was a joke sketch parody of Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole Arab edition....

didn't really care much after that
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Go to a Canucks game and see how many brown people are in the stands. I know at least 4 or 5 that own season tickets to the Canucks. One owns 4 in the reds just off center ice. He also played a few games with the Canucks. It's good to see more minorities in sports. There is going to be a wave of Asians playing in the NHL in the next 10 years.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I don't mind as long as they do a great job. I dont mind nabil karim, but I love Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole.

although he's not a sports anchor, I'm a fan of Fareed Zakaria on CNN. good shows and segments.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

^fareed is very smart and well spoken. Him and sanjai gupta commentating some basketball - now that was be bawse
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #10

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
best thing to happen to them. more attention and they definitely wont be fired for a while.... because that would just be racist.
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Personally I was proud to see them hosting the show, breaking some barriers. As long as someone is the best for the job I don't think skin colour should ever come in to the equation.
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
I've seen Nabil a few times when he was doing interviews for the CBC and he wasn't great.

The problem is that there isn't a deep talent pool of ethnic minority sports broadcasters, so they have to put up mediocre talent. Who else works at TSN that isn't white? Jermaine Franklin and John Lu?
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
God damn, I hate John Lu's voice. Every time I have to watch a clip with him commentating, I cringe.

Farhan Lalji on the other hand, I like.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #14
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Everyone at TSN is fine, John Lu, is mehhhh

I do not like Roger Millions on SNET though
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #15
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I got no problem with any of the Sportcentre hosts. They're all better than everyone on Sportsnet and The Score with the exception of Don Taylor (aieehahahaheyayayyaahh BRUHAHA).

Honestly, I didn't even really think anything of the new guys being brown. I only pay attention when there's a new female anchor.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #16
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
A couple of people sending some joking tweets isn't real racism, blown way out of proportion for the media to run a story. Whats new?
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #17
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Personally know Nabil Karim...great guy! He has worked his butt off to get where he is.
Yah, I agree that the media has blown the story out of proportion but at the same time jokes do hurt.
StutteR_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #18
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
A couple of people sending some joking tweets isn't real racism, blown way out of proportion for the media to run a story. Whats new?
Well, the jokes were distasteful. One guy referred to them as "Osama and Saddam".

If they were black, is it okay to call them Kunta Kinte? Rodney King?

Spoiler!

I don't think what was said was particularly harmful but at the same time, they're making fun of two guys that speak rather perfect English and have a resume good enough to make it to SportsCentre...and yet people just dismissed them because they're brown.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #19
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Sounds more like some trolls trying to stir shit up, rather than actual racism.

Honestly, who gives a fuck what color/nationality/gender/shape/hair color/height/weight a sportscaster is? Whether or not the person has a clue what they're talking about is the only criteria that SHOULD matter. Well okay, some degree of sanity might be a good idea (*ahem*BobCole*coff*).

There are plenty of REALLY WHITE sportscasters who aren't clever enough to do traffic reports, but nobody seems to care, why... because they're white, so they get a pass? Please.

BTW, Farhan is THE DUDE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #20

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
I would absolutely love if a visable minority took over for Don Cherry (that is if he still does it..havent watched HCIC for a while).

But yea, for a country that prides itself on being so multicultural, its kind of a shame to see these jokes or comments.

They could be jokes, but, there is truth behind every joke. You have to have some type of an ignorant mindset to even *think* of the joke.
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #21

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Jay and Dan podcast FTW
Old 02-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #22
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I really feel that media blows things out of proportion. They find tweets and act like there's a massive backlash, you're always going to get stupid comments on twitter.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #23
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
I would absolutely love if a visable minority took over for Don Cherry (that is if he still does it..havent watched HCIC for a while).
Wow, did you even think about what you wrote before you wrote it?

Yes, Don Cherry is still going strong - just turned 79 this month. He's still as popular - and controversial - as ever. The CBC loves it because he drives ratings - even people who disagree with him and hate what he says, tune in to his segment, and that's ultimately what it's all about.

And what have we been talking about here, really? Sportscasters who KNOW THEIR SPORT. Well, Grapes KNOWS HOCKEY. So why would you replace him? And for that matter, why would you parachute in a visible minority *just for the sake of replacing Cherry*? That's more like tokenism, which is arguably worse than racism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #24
I don't get it

Must be American tweeters
Ver.Mitsubishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #25
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
female anchors.
Surprised at how well Kate and Natasha from TSN have done...

TSN for my sport highlights every night!

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear
LSF22 is offline   Reply With Quote