REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #26
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Guy can't pay rent, you think he has money for a lawyer?
can'y pay , or won't pay. different things
Advertisement
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #27
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
can'y pay , or won't pay. different things
If he won't pay his rent you think he would pay a lawyer? and whats the lawyer going to do?

The Police will not do anything because this is a landlord tenant issue. He could file a claim with the RTB but that will cost him $50 and the hearing could be months away. The first thing they are going to ask for is a rental agreement.

Change the locks leave his stuff in there. The cops can't do anything. He can file with the RTB but that will mean he is without his stuff for at least a month. If he want's his stuff sooner tell him to bring a moving truck.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #28
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Why not say a relative is moving in or family member is moving. Have it viedo recorded and make him an agreement stating that.

I beleive when you have a relative moving in then they have to move unless there is a contract sign.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #29
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
He does not need a lawyer to get compensation.

I have said it before and I'll say it again: Lawyers do not get involved in tenancy law.

Whether or not you think you have a rental contact with this tenant, you do. If you accept money for a space you are 'renting' without a tenancy agreement it is called for Use and Occupancy.

Same rules and guidelines apply. Your friend can not 'evict' for smoking....or change the locks...or throw his shit out...or even go into the tenants place without proper notice.

Your friend is going to have to suck it up. He dun fucked up. Now, he has to pay the consequence.

If your friend fucks up at all (changes locks, touches the tenant's shit, etc) all the tenant needs to do is go to the RTB and file a dispute resolution. He can be fined up to $5000. What happens if your friend chooses not to pay? All the tenant needs to do is go to small claims...pay $120. A judge will look at the case, see he has already won, and order your friends' wages to be garnished.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #30
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
He does not need a lawyer to get compensation.

I have said it before and I'll say it again: Lawyers do not get involved in tenancy law.

Whether or not you think you have a rental contact with this tenant, you do. If you accept money for a space you are 'renting' without a tenancy agreement it is called for Use and Occupancy.

Same rules and guidelines apply. Your friend can not 'evict' for smoking....or change the locks...or throw his shit out...or even go into the tenants place without proper notice.

Your friend is going to have to suck it up. He dun fucked up. Now, he has to pay the consequence.

If your friend fucks up at all (changes locks, touches the tenant's shit, etc) all the tenant needs to do is go to the RTB and file a dispute resolution. He can be fined up to $5000. What happens if your friend chooses not to pay? All the tenant needs to do is go to small claims...pay $120. A judge will look at the case, see he has already won, and order your friends' wages to be garnished.
What if his friend said a fmaily member is moving downstaris. I beleive that is allow even if the tenant don't want to move. The tenant have to move if that's case right?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #31
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
What if his friend said a fmaily member is moving downstaris. I beleive that is allow even if the tenant don't want to move. The tenant have to move if that's case right?
google residential tenancy branch
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #32
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Then your friend would have to give the tenant a 2-month eviction notice for "landlord's use of property".

The tenant can choose to leave after 1 month and receive the equivalent on one month's rent in compensation or stay the full 2 months with the last month being free.

The tenant CAN fight the eviction notice and your friend will need to prove that family, is in fact, moving to the rental unit.

Your friend will also need to give the notice properly (BEFORE the end of the month, not on the first)...this means that, at the earliest, the tenant will be asked to move by May 31st.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #33
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Then your friend would have to give the tenant a 2-month eviction notice for "landlord's use of property".

The tenant can choose to leave after 1 month and receive the equivalent on one month's rent in compensation or stay the full 2 months with the last month being free.

The tenant CAN fight the eviction notice and your friend will need to prove that family, is in fact, moving to the rental unit.

Your friend will also need to give the notice properly (BEFORE the end of the month, not on the first)...this means that, at the earliest, the tenant will be asked to move by May 31st.
Even with the notice he still may not leave.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #34
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I think OP's friend would be happy if the guy just stopped smoking in the house...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #35
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Here are your friend's options:

1.) Use a 2-month eviction notice and move family into the suite. He may take it and move....he may fight it. If your friend can prove family is moving in...he will have to move.

2.) Give him a 30-day eviction notice for reason: Threatening the health and Safety of neighbours (second-hand smoke). This is a crap-shoot...your friend may win....he may not. He may not even get past filling out the paperwork before being laughed out of the tenancy branch.

3.) Hope he fucks up. Stay on top of him for every thing....late on rent? 10-day order. Late on rent 3 times within 12 months? Evict. Loud? Letter. Damage? Letter. Start doing monthly inspections. Basically, collapse his existence. Make is uncomfortable...eventually he will leave.

4.) Suck it up. Your friend and his family will have a daily reminder that they made a terrible, uneducated decision. Use their time ACTUALLY reading the RTA and using it to their advantage when the tenant fucks up. They can also spend this time to practice filling out a tenancy agreement for their next tenant.

Never ever forget.....the shitty tenants always know the RTA like the back of their hand. They know their rights and will use them to fuck you.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #36
I am Hook'd on RS

If there is no contract then it is assumed to be a month to month basis and your friend can serve him with a 1 month eviction notice. The form can be found online. You can NOT throw his stuff out. You can NOT lock him out. It HAS to be one month notice.
DarkVerses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #37
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVerses View Post
If there is no contract then it is assumed to be a month to month basis and your friend can serve him with a 1 month eviction notice. The form can be found online. You can NOT throw his stuff out. You can NOT lock him out. It HAS to be one month notice.
Regardless if a tenant is on a fix-term term or month to month lease, you still need to have reason to evict.

A landlord can NOT evict a tenant without reason.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #38
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
No better place than this thread for advice from y'alls, I suppose.

If one were to sign a one-year lease stipulating "lease may be renewed at the sole behest of the lessor", would you be able to force the tenant out at the end of the year? It's one of those things that's always mildly confused me. I mean, I know that one-year leases once they lapse and if there's no new lease signed turn into month-to-month, but what happens if you only want a suite or space occupied for a year and not longer? Can you use the lease to say "ok, you had your year, now get out."?
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #39
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Regardless if a tenant is on a fix-term term or month to month lease, you still need to have reason to evict.

A landlord can NOT evict a tenant without reason.
but letting a lease run out and choosing not to renew (thereby having the tenant to move out) does not constitute as eviction correct? b/c if i'm not mistaken the RTA has 1 line that states at end of the term if both parties agree you can

a) go to month to month
b) resign for another term

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #40
Banned By Establishment

Yes. You can have a fixed-term lease that terminates at the end of the lease period.

This is what the section of our lease agreements look like:

Attachment 16009

Last edited by dinosaur; 08-17-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #41
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
No better place than this thread for advice from y'alls, I suppose.

If one were to sign a one-year lease stipulating "lease may be renewed at the sole behest of the lessor", would you be able to force the tenant out at the end of the year? It's one of those things that's always mildly confused me. I mean, I know that one-year leases once they lapse and if there's no new lease signed turn into month-to-month, but what happens if you only want a suite or space occupied for a year and not longer? Can you use the lease to say "ok, you had your year, now get out."?
Yes, you can put a term in play, and rent it for a year and a year only. You need to do that at the start, and on the tenancy branch lease, you have to initial that everyone understands the terms of the lease. You can't sneak it through.

I used it once. We liked her, and had doubts on the room mate, so I told them straight up, I'll go month to month after the year if everything works, but if not, I won't renew the lease.

At the end of that term, you don't need to buy them out, or compensate them. They move, you take your place back and you are done.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #42
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
but letting a lease run out and choosing not to renew (thereby having the tenant to move out) does not constitute as eviction correct? b/c if i'm not mistaken the RTA has 1 line that states at end of the term if both parties agree you can

a) go to month to month
b) resign for another term
If it is stated in the tenancy agreement that after a specific term, the tenant must move out, its fine. But, if it has not been previously discussed, documented, and signed on the lease is automatically considered a 'month-to-month' agreement by the branch and therefore, you can not evict without reason.

All these terms MUST be discussed upon signing and MUST be on the lease. As you can see from the attached above, there are really only two options.