REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 02-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
2 Wheelin' Mod

How to evict a renter with no contract.

Hey one of my friends rented out there basement to someone that smokes he wasn't supposed to smoke inside the house but he is. There is no contract or anything how would you go about evicting him.

They have told him to stop smoking inside and he said okay but continued to do it.

Afterwards they offered him his rent back and for him to find a new place and he agree'd but doesn't look like hes going to leave anytime soon
Advertisement
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Is this a legal suite/rental?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Put all his shit in garbage bags, stick it out on the lawn, and change the locks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Put all his shit in garbage bags, stick it out on the lawn, and change the locks.
Yep, with no contract he is just an unwanted guest.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Yep, with no contract he is just an unwanted guest.
Not true. Although a landlord/tenancy agreement must be a written contract, the fact that the landlord went ahead and rented out a suite to a tenant, albeit illegally, can still come back to bite him in the ass.

http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/documents/GL20.pdf
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
Here is my concern. Contract may be implied from conduct/actions of the parties, i. e. implied contract. For a valid contract, all you need is:

1) Intention (to form a contract between two parties),
2) Consideration from both sides (advancement of money for instance), and usually but not always, each party has to experience some sort of...
3) Detriment/benefit

There was an implied intention between your friend and the tenant. The tenant has paid rent hence consideration was advanced by him to your friend, similarly your friend has advanced his basement as consideration from his side. Your friend has suffered a detriment by renting out his place, but incurred a benefit by accepting rent moneys; the tenant has incurred a detriment by parting with his money, but similarly received a benefit in a sense that he got a place to live in...

Throwing out the tenant's stuff and locking him out will for sure lead to litigation...
broken_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_arrow View Post
Here is my concern. Contract may be implied from conduct/actions of the parties, i. e. implied contract. For a valid contract, all you need is:

1)Intention (to form a contract between two parties),
2) Consideration from both sides (advancement of money for instance), and usually but not always, each party has to experience some sort of...
3) Detriment/benefit

There was an implied intention between your friend and the tenant. The tenant has paid rent hence consideration was advanced by him to your friend, similarly your friend has advanced his basement as consideration from his side. Your friend has suffered a detriment by renting out his place, but incurred a benefit by accepting rent moneys; the tenant has incurred a detriment by parting with his money, but similarly received a benefit in a sense that he got a place to live in...

Throwing out the tenant's stuff and locking him out will for sure lead to litigation...
Yup! In another words, I hope your friend has a good lawyer. A lot of "landlords" think they have the upper hand by accepting cash, and entering into a "verbal" agreement, but the Residential Tenancy Act protects the tenant. period. The best thing for your friend to do is contact the RT branch and look at what his options are. In the end he could get in trouble for entering into an illegal contract.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
2 Wheelin' Mod

its a legal suite

hmm i'll try calling them and see what they say
Old 02-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas29 View Post
its a legal suite

hmm i'll try calling them and see what they say
I am not talking about the suite, when I said illegal. The fact that your friend is renting out his space to a tenant, without any type of written contract/agreement makes what he is doing, illegal.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
If yoru friend told the renter he needs to move in the beginning of the month (beginning of Feb) then the renter only have a few days left.

If he doens't move put an fire alarm in the besement suite and lock it up so if he smokes it will keep going off. Don't disable it. That will force him to move.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
2 Wheelin' Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
If yoru friend told the renter he needs to move in the beginning of the month (beginning of Feb) then the renter only have a few days left.

If he doens't move put an fire alarm in the besement suite and lock it up so if he smokes it will keep going off. Don't disable it. That will force him to move.
That sounds like a good idea
Old 02-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
RS Veteran

Quote:

so the fact that his friend "verbally" told him he had to leave, makes it legit? You may want to think about that. You guys need look at the RT Act, and its respective website informing both landlords and tenants of their own rights.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
^^ But the alarm would probably be so loud it would annoy your friend too.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
when the guy is out, change the locks, take all his shit, dump it at nearest salvation army.

You never seen this guy before in your life
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
I am not talking about the suite, when I said illegal. The fact that your friend is renting out his space to a tenant, without any type of written contract/agreement makes what he is doing, illegal.
How is a verbal agreement not legal? It may be stupid, but in general, stupidity is not a crime.

Quote:
Better yet, have the smoke detector set off a sprinkler. POINT MADE.
Quote:
Old 02-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #16
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
+1 on the fire alarm idea. hardwire it so he can't disable it. In fact, put one on the bedroom one in the living room and in the washroom and sync them so they go on at the same
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #17
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Cigarette smoke will not set off a fire alarm, generally.

Even in a small room, he would need to chain smoke for hours.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
RS Veteran

Quote:
How is a verbal agreement not legal? It may be stupid, but in general, stupidity is not a crime.

Better yet, have the smoke detector set off a sprinkler. POINT MADE.
I should rephrase. Verbal agreements aren't illegal, but you will have a fun time proving one was made.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
I should rephrase. Verbal agreements aren't illegal, but you will have a fun time proving one was made.
True.

Then again, so will the renter. OP could claim the guy's been squatting.
Quote:
Old 02-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #20
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
This is devolving into bad information.

Getting rid of a shitty tenant is not a new problem. No you can't play games, dump their shit on the lawn or any of the other multitude of suggestions here. It does NOT matter if you have a lease or not when it comes to the POV of the tenant as there is a standard defacto lease in place by nature of trading living quarters for cash.

So when I yell and scream and swear on here, "use a lease" and "make an addendum with reasonable policies and financial considerations"...I'm not wasting my breath. You are going to have a lease anyway...shouldn't it be yours?

What do you want on your addendum? Is having it rented for a year important to you? Then you want a financial consideration if they want to move early.

Is smoking inside important to you? Then you want it documented that smoking is outside, and this is what will occur if you smoke inside.

And then when you go to deal with the bureaucrats at the branch who we've decided to give power to in these scenarios..you aren't picking your ass when they ask to see your paperwork.

That said(for the 15th time LOL): Your situation.

Getting rid of a shitty tenant.

Document everything. If you are going to have a verbal conversation, have a written letter that describes the talking points, signed and dated that you leave a copy of, and keep a copy of.

Make notes of verbal conversations if they catch you off guard.

You need to show that: there is a quantifiable problem. That problem needs to be reasonable. You tried to solve said problem. Problem not solved, and the only way to end it now is they move out.

You need to remember that: These people hear from every idiot tenant and landlord in the city and are not going to accept whatever bullshit you create and say, "gee, ok...that guy has to move."

On smoking: Good luck. You can make a health and safety issue(ie. smoke is permeating others living quarters..asthma...cancer....smell blah blah blah) You can make a damage issue(ie. The walls are stained, and drapes are fucked) Unfortunately, you won't succeed with "they WILL be damaged" the damage has to occur. Not much, but its what you can prove, not what you know.

And you prepare it all, file at the branch and enter the big ole crapshoot that is: getting the branch to agree to terminate for a reason other than money. It's the spaghetti approach...throw it against the wall.

In the meantime, you make life difficult. Raise rent if you can, say no to unusual requests...DO NOT BE A DICK ABOUT THIS, remember, you need to look pretty for the "judge". If they are loud, ask them to quiet down and so on.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #21
2 Wheelin' Mod

I usually use this form http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/documents/RTB-1.pdf and add whatever i need to on the back and get them to sign the back of the paper too if I need to add anything

but this isn't my basement that is rented

thanks everyone for the help
Old 02-27-2013, 04:29 AM   #22
RS Veteran

Quote:
True.

Then again, so will the renter. OP could claim the guy's been squatting.
true. good ol civil litigations!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #23
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post
when the guy is out, change the locks, take all his shit, dump it at nearest salvation army.

You never seen this guy before in your life
if you do this, they will sue your assssssssss and you're so going to get ass raped. I have heard someone do this during the winter and the penalities were bad.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #24
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
^ you get someone else to move in the next day and sign a lease thats backdated 6 months
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #25
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
if you do this, they will sue your assssssssss and you're so going to get ass raped. I have heard someone do this during the winter and the penalities were bad.
Guy can't pay rent, you think he has money for a lawyer?