REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,315 Times in 370 Posts
Speeding ticket but based on engine sound?

Long story short

I was at a red light in the left lane, second car in line. After the light turned green, I accelerated normally and i switched lanes then proceeded stepped on the gas (accelerated fast) but did not exceed speed limit. My car has a very loud exhaust and its 6 speed manual. I remember that i was shifting at a higher RPM, thus making it sound like i was speeding. I was pulled over immediately. The cop says that he heard my car speed..but did Not radar me. do I have grounds to dispute?

Thanks
Advertisement

Last edited by jmanhas; 02-26-2013 at 02:07 PM.
jmanhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
off a red light i believe they consider it street racing.. even if you havnt actually broken a speed limit, maybe you get reduced to sound violation if you dispute though?
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #3

i wasn't flooring the gas the pedal right when it turned green, it was an aggressive acceleration from a slow start but by no means racing..
i just dont want any chance of losing just because i can't prove i wasn't speeding. Its my word against his essentially
Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
there is an offence for unsafe start under the MVA

Sections 169: Unsafe start $109

Starting vehicle

169 A person must not move a vehicle that is stopped, standing or parked unless the movement can be made with reasonable safety and he or she first gives the appropriate signal under section 171 or 172.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #5

I did not floor the car from a stop. I accelerated normally, then when I had the opportunity to switch lanes, I did and accelerated and shifted at 4-4.6k rpm. But was by no means unsafe
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Just to be clear.. the ticket is issued for speeding?

Can you give us the Sections the ticket is under, just so we know it's speeding and not "Unsafe Start" or "Driving Without due care."
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanhas View Post
Long story short

I was at a red light in the left lane, second car in line. After the light turned green, i switched lanes and stepped on the gas (accelerated fast) but did not exceed speed limit. My car has a very loud exhaust and its 6 speed manual. I remember that i was shifting at a higher RPM, thus making it sound like i was speeding. I was pulled over immediately. The cop says that he heard my car speed..but did radar me. do I have grounds to dispute?

Thanks
I would be surprised any cop would say that... if he did, then
Old 02-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanhas View Post
I did not floor the car from a stop. I accelerated normally, then when I had the opportunity to switch lanes, I did and accelerated and shifted at 4-4.6k rpm. But was by no means unsafe
Posted via RS Mobile
first you said you stepped on the gas and accelerated fast, but then you said you accelerated normally. Looks like you either are lying, or weren't aware of how you were driving at the time.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #9

I said i accelerated AFTER I switched lanes, which would mean I had to accelerate normally to switch lanes.
The ticket offense was speeding in municipality.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
If you're lying about not speeding, don't dispute it.

If you weren't speeding and he wrote you a ticket based on engine sound, says he didn't clock you, not screeching tires, dispute it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
If you're lying about not speeding, don't dispute it.

If you weren't speeding and he wrote you a ticket based on engine sound, says he didn't clock you, not screeching tires, dispute it.
+1

I would fight it.. only if you are 100% certain (which you seem to be) you were not speeding, and that's what he sanctioned you for. Making a call based off of engine noise is just
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #12

Ya it does seem kind of bs. But how would I prove that I wasn't speeding? Since it would be my word against his..any ideas?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

ask officer for proof of ur speed
gc200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #14
Rs has made me the man i am today!

The officer will have to give evidence that you were travelling above the speed limit. Remember, if you're doing 51 in a 50 you are still speeding. It's an absolute liability offence which means it doesn't matter if you knew the limit or not. 51 in a 50 is exactly the same as 69 in a 50 essentially.

Sounds like you should have been written an excessive noise ticket instead if you are 100% that you did not even travel 1 km above the speed limit at any time during the incident.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
My mom got pulled over for something similar once. The Ford has a 6-spd that's usually in auto mode, but she likes to manually downshift when approaching lights. She does, however, sometimes forget to put it back into auto. She got pulled over once 'cause a cop thought she was going to do some aggressive driving.

...and then when he walked up he saw my 5'2ish 64 year old mother and all was solved.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #16
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

The officer would need to prove that the noise or peace ordinance was broken if the actual engine/exhaust was too loud, as opposed to getting pulled for speeding which the officer claimed based on sound.

Last edited by Sango; 02-28-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:27 AM   #17
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango View Post
The officer would need to supposedly need to prove that the noise or piece ordinance was broken if the actual office was being too loud as opposed to getting pulled for speeding which the officer claims based on sound.
what the.... what language is this?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
what the.... what language is this?
I think you already knew what I was trying to say. I guess you may of figured that I was too sleepy.

Need to be more careful with auto correct on mobile and being too sleepy when I originally typed it up.

Last edited by Sango; 02-28-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #19
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Same thing happened to me turning left in the rain my tires slipped next thing I see police lights (he was waiting at a light 4 cars down the street I turned on and was given a ticket for speeding for conditions when asked why he thought I was speeding he told me he heard me and I had to be if my tires slipped. I asked how fast I sounded like I was goin and he refused to say what he thought and told me to dispute it if I don't agree
Good luck to you. I went back and took pics of where the cop was and where I was drivng and now waiting for my court date.
Posted via RS Mobile
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #20
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango View Post
I think you already knew what I was trying to say. I guess you may of figured that I was too sleepy.

Need to be more careful with auto correct on mobile and being too sleepy when I originally typed it up.
I really had no clue what you were saying, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
Same thing happened to me turning left in the rain my tires slipped next thing I see police lights (he was waiting at a light 4 cars down the street I turned on and was given a ticket for speeding for conditions when asked why he thought I was speeding he told me he heard me and I had to be if my tires slipped. I asked how fast I sounded like I was goin and he refused to say what he thought and told me to dispute it if I don't agree
Good luck to you. I went back and took pics of where the cop was and where I was drivng and now waiting for my court date.
Posted via RS Mobile
If you were given a speeding relative to conditions ticket, there isn't a set number you have to reach or be over by. It is basically saying that you were driving at a speed that was not safe with respect to the current environmental conditions.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #21

Quote:
If you were given a speeding relative to conditions ticket, there isn't a set number you have to reach or be over by. It is basically saying that you were driving at a speed that was not safe with respect to the current environmental conditions.

I understand what the ticket means but how does one say I am driving unsafe when he can't see me and judged it all based off of my car sound and my tires slipping? You can slip your tires easily in the rain. Also while he was giving me a ticket other cars can be heard slipping their tires but he didn't bat a eye. From the location he was at there is no one to see me at all until I have made the turn.l as there are nothing but trees and bushes in the way.

I would understand if he saw me but he clearly said it was because he heard me speeding and my tires slipping. Not sure how you can tell someone is drivng unsafe from sound alone.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #22
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
I understand what the ticket means but how does one say I am driving unsafe when he can't see me and judged it all based off of my car sound and my tires slipping? You can slip your tires easily in the rain. Also while he was giving me a ticket other cars can be heard slipping their tires but he didn't bat a eye. From the location he was at there is no one to see me at all until I have made the turn.l as there are nothing but trees and bushes in the way.

I would understand if he saw me but he clearly said it was because he heard me speeding and my tires slipping. Not sure how you can tell someone is drivng unsafe from sound alone.
Posted via RS Mobile
were you pulled over, or did he flag you down?
Old 02-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #23
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

What did the officer write on the ticket? What section of the MVA were you charged under?
Old 02-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #24

Quote:
were you pulled over, or did he flag you down?
I turned left ahead of the light he was waiting at drove past the first block then noticed lights come on and he drive around the couple cars in front of him I pulled over cause he had lights and seirns on assuming he was rushing somewhere and he pulled up behind me. Officer asked me if I knew why he pulled me over and I said I didn't know I was being pulled over I was just stopping for emergency vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
What did the officer write on the ticket? What section of the MVA were you charged under?
He wrote down "speed relative to conditions" mva 144 1 (c)
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #25

Quote:
I really had no clue what you were saying, lol.
I know lol!! It's already been corrected.