REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Hugo Chavez is dead

Just saw this on CNN. The leader of Venezuela Hugo Chavez is dead.
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Hate to be the one wearing the tinfoil hat, but after nationalizing their oil, it was only a matter of time
Posted via RS Mobile
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Old School RS

Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoc View Post
Hate to be the one wearing the tinfoil hat, but after nationalizing their oil, it was only a matter of time
Posted via RS Mobile
You think his death after publicly battling cancer for 2 years was related to a conspiracy as the result of nationalizing oil?

Mark
Old 03-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
Hate to be the one wearing the tinfoil hat, but after nationalizing their oil, it was only a matter of time before Cancer killed him.
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
cancer being the one thing that always did away with americas enemies during the 60s/70s/80s/90s and i guess now the 10s

coincidence? or tinfoil hat time?

hmm

what a shame he was good for Venezuela and when i heard that he wanted to continue treatment on home soil i thought the worse

rip

Quote:
Venezuela's Hugo Chavez dies aged 58

James Robbins looks back at the life of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez

Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez has died, his vice-president has announced.

Mr Chavez had not appeared in public since he returned to Venezuela last month after cancer treatment in Cuba.

An emotional Nicolas Maduro made the announcement on Tuesday evening, flanked by leading Venezuelan political and military leaders.

Earlier, he said the 58-year-old Venezuelan leader had a new, severe respiratory infection and had entered "his most difficult hours".

He also announced the government had expelled two US diplomats from the country for spying on Venezuela's military.

Mr Maduro said Mr Chavez had died "after battling a tough illness for nearly two years".

He said he had no doubt that Mr Chavez's cancer, first diagnosed in 2011, had been induced by foul play by Venezuela's enemies.

Venezuelan radio reported that military had been deployed across the country.

Under the constitution, the head of Venezuela's Congress, Diosdado Cabello, will assume the interim presidency before an election is held.

Cuba surgery
One of the most visible, vocal and controversial leaders in Latin America, Hugo Chavez won the presidency in 1998 and had most recently won another six-year presidential term in October 2012.

Last May, the former army paratrooper said he had recovered from an unspecified cancer, after undergoing surgery and chemotherapy in 2011 and a further operation in February 2012.

However, in December 2012, he announced he needed further cancer surgery in Cuba, and named his Vice-President, Nicolas Maduro, as his preferred successor should the need arise.

Mr Chavez remained out of public view, finally returning to Venezuela in February.

EDIT: Actually the Vice President of Venezuela blamed the USA for poisoning Chavez and said they'll be expelling US diplomats (just heard it on cnn by Amanpour)

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/new...-was-poisoned/

http://www.latintimes.com/articles/2...-poisoning.htm

Last edited by StylinRed; 03-05-2013 at 01:39 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
I don't get it

I don't know a lot about Chavez...was he a force for good in Venuzuela?
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
GUYS, the Zionists poisoned Chavez so they can instill a new reptilian leader to acquire new oil resources.

But in all seriousness, I'm thinking this may cause a possible power issue in the South American region because of oil. Thoughts?
Old 03-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
I personally have really mixed feelings about Chavez, which I guess is to be expected as he was a truly polarizing figure. Time will tell what his legacy will be. The whole Americans giving him cancer spiel is I'm sure just the vice-president posturing and trying to reinforce his position as political front-runner to lead the country. If they actually thought Chavez was poisoned by the Americans Chavez himself would have been parading around the UN in his hospital gown making a spectacle for the past few years. This is no different than any other political grandstand, I mean 10-15% of the world's population dies of cancer. (Jack Layton obviously wasn't given cancer by Harper or Ted Kennedy given cancer by China...)

Quote:
Even before his death, Hugo Chávez had joined Fidel Castro and Ernesto “Che” Guevara in the pantheon of Latin American leaders who enjoy instant global recognition. And, like Castro and Guevara, Chávez is more than controversial. He is the subject of deep admiration that easily morphs into passionate worship, and antagonism that often mutates into equally intense hatred. Chávez, 58, died Tuesday, after two years of cancer treatments, according to Venezuelan Vice President Nicolás Maduro.

Inevitably, his legacy will be as hard to assess objectively as that of all other deeply polarizing leaders—from Mao to Perón. Nonetheless, even if Chávez’s deeds will be the fodder of endless debate, there are some incontrovertible aspects of his legacy.

The Good
Chávez’s most enduring and positive legacy is his shattering of Venezuela’s peaceful coexistence with poverty, inequality, and social exclusion. He was not the first political leader who placed the poor at the center of the national conversation. Nor was he the first to use a spike in oil revenue to help the poor. But none of his predecessors did it so aggressively and with such a passionate sense of urgency as Chávez did. And no one was more successful in planting this priority into the nation’s psyche and even exporting it to neighboring countries and beyond. Moreover, his ability to make the poor feel that one of them was in charge has no precedent.

Another positive aspect of his legacy is that he ended the widespread political indifference and apathy nurtured over decades by a system dominated by decaying and out-of-touch political parties. The political awakening of the nation sparked by Chávez has engulfed people in the barrios, workers, university students, the middle class, and, unfortunately, even the military. And here is where Chávez’s negative legacy begins.

The Bad
After 14 years in power, Chávez did not leave the nation a stronger democracy or a more prosperous economy. This despite his constant reminders that he had finally empowered the long-excluded poor and the fact that he presided over the longest and most exuberant increase in oil revenue in Venezuela’s history.

Chávez and his supporters claim that during his tenure 15 national elections and referenda took place and that his social programs promoted participation and “direct” or “radical democracy.” Yet, as Scott Mainwaring, a respected U.S. academic has noted, democracy requires “free and fair elections for the executive and legislature, nearly universal adult enfranchisement in the contemporary period, the protection of political rights and civil liberties, and civilian control of the military. The Chávez regime falls far short on the first and third of these defining characteristics of democracy. The electoral playing field is highly skewed, and respect for opposition rights has eroded seriously. The military is much more politicized and more involved in politics than it was before Chávez.”

In fact, President Chávez was a pioneer and one of the most adroit practitioners of a political strategy that became common after the Cold War in many countries that political scientists call competitive authoritarian regimes. These are regimes where leaders gain power through democratic elections and then change the constitution and other laws to weaken checks and balances on the executive, thus ensuring the regime’s continuity and its almost total autonomy while still retaining a patina of democratic legitimacy. It is not accidental that Chávez was the longest-serving head of state in the Americas.

The other paradoxical—and bad—legacy of Hugo Chávez is an economy in shambles. It is paradoxical because his term in office coincided with a boom in commodity prices and the presence of an international financial system flush with cash and willing to lend to countries like Venezuela. In addition, the president was free to adopt any economic policy he chose without any domestic or international constraints or institutional limitations. Yet, at the time of his death, few other countries had the economic distortions that besieged Venezuela.

It has one of the world’s largest fiscal deficits, highest inflation rates, worst misalignment of the exchange rate, fastest-growing debt, and one of the most precipitous drops in productive capacity—including that of the critical oil sector. Moreover, during the Chávez era the nation fell to the bottom of the rankings that measure international competitiveness, ease of doing business, or attractiveness to foreign investors, while rising to the top of the list of the world’s most corrupt countries. The latter is another paradox of a leader whose rise to power rested on the promise to stamp out corruption and crush the oligarchy. The Bolivarian bourgeoisie—the boliburgueses, as Venezuelans call the new oligarchy formed by close allies of the regime’s leaders, their families, and friends—have amassed enormous wealth through corrupt deals with the government. This, too, is part of the unfortunate legacy Chávez has left.

The Ugly
President Chávez leaves a fiercely polarized society. While social divisions always existed, Chávez’s brand of politics depended too much on stoking resentment, rage, and revenge to levels previously unknown. It will take a long time and immense effort to heal the wounds left by the massive doses of social conflict that the president promoted and on which he thrived.

Another ugly facet of Chávez’s tenure is that under his watch Venezuela became one of the world’s most murderous countries. Kabul or Baghdad is safer than Caracas, where homicides and kidnappings have become part of daily life. The country is also considered by international law enforcement agencies as a haven for counterfeiters, money launderers, and traffickers in persons, weapons, and, of course, drugs. According to the United Nations, Venezuela has become the main supplier of drugs to Europe. The U.S. Treasury has named eight high-ranking members of the Chávez government, including the former head of intelligence and the minister of defense, as drug kingpins.

Through it all Chávez was uncharacteristically silent and passive. His complacency as he watched his nation fall into a vortex of murder and criminality will be one of the most ugly and unforgivable aspects of his years in power.

The Missed Opportunity
The Venezuelan people gave Chávez a political blank check and thanks to the prolonged boom in oil prices he also had a financial blank check. Few other heads of state had the combination of vast popular support and immense financial resources enjoyed by Chávez for 14 years. His total control of all the levers of power ensured that he could do whatever he wanted. And he did. From changing the name of the country to changing its flag to imposing a new and unique time zone on his nation. And much more. What he did not do was leave the country better off than when he became president. Hugo Chávez deserves to be remembered as a missed opportunity.

From Businessweek ^
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Some of you should look up the petro dollar.. it would open your eyes up to why the world is so fucked up right now.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #10

dont know why an edit became a double post....

look below i guess
Old 03-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
(Jack Layton obviously wasn't given cancer by Harper)
I dunno about that

Quote:

From Businessweek ^
it's no surprise they aren't fans
Old 03-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Just read on CBC this morning and said his health was in very "delicate" condition. Sad to see him taken by cancer and hate to see it happen so fast
Posted via RS Mobile
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
he was injected with cancer with an African blow dart
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #14
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
"Canada looks forward to working with his successor and other leaders in the region to build a hemisphere that is more prosperous, secure and democratic,” Harper said

Read more: Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez dies at 58 | CTV News
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
I subscribe to Revscene

The Zionists poisoned Chavez so they can instill a puppet leader and acquire its oil resources.

A leader that kicks out Zionist occupiers, nationalizes the resources and distributes the wealth among the poor... Canada could only dream of such a leader.

hugo chavez of venezuela blames bush for 911
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnb9q-PWePM
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #16
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

RIP chavez, just did a research on Latin America. He was one of the driving forces to unite Latin America to improve both economics and social welfare.
'98 EJ8 Civic Si 'DatSi' - (Sold)
'11 MKVI Golf 'Dana' - (Sold)

Active:

'18 F22 230iX' (DD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Don’t you guys dare bid on my gay car. I’ll stab you
vyrospec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #17

CBCs profile of Chavez remarked on how much he helped the poor (unlike businesweek)
Old 03-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #18
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
All I know is Venezuela is one of the places on a Risk board.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #19
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
All I know is Venezuela is one of the places on a Risk board.
miss venezuela

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #20
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

gas cost 5 cents a litre under chavez
Posted via RS Mobile
ynot-llat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #21
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden View Post
I don't know a lot about Chavez...was he a force for good in Venuzuela?
IMO any political leader with the balls to stand up to the US is a force for good in my book (at the very least as a counterweight to the global hegemon).

RIP Hugo.

Last edited by THORISHERE; 03-05-2013 at 10:59 PM.
THORISHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #22
The sound of inevitability

Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
For those failing Geoc, I wouldn't be so quick to do so.

The US did it to Iran, it's why it went from Democracy to this shit.
"zomg it's their religion, yeah!"

Edit: I'm not saying I agree with him, but it wouldn't be the first time something like this was done.

The only ocean creature you can call yourself is the giant squid. He's the destroyer of ships, and the eater of seamen. At least you share one of those traits.
-Hypa

mixed girls that look predominatly asian with subtle caucasian features=what i'd give my left nut for
-6chr0nic4
The7even is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #23
My homepage has been set to RS

Venezuela produces the hottest strippers. Brazil Argentina and Colombia ain't got shit on Venezuela when it comes to strippers. That's my contribution to this discussion
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #24
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
fuck i just have to... but where did hu go?

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #25
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Time release radioactive isotope injected.

Hugo Chavez on Hard Talk is a good watch.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote