REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #26
I STILL don't get it

Not to say he's not a dick... but if I was about to enter a intersection, there's no way I wouldn't see a car blasting towards the same intersection at 100+km/hr.
In my head this is a accident, and I figured he'd lose his license for life at worst.
The USA is a f'd up place. Asian kid kills someone in a car accident; all the comments on the news sites are ripping him to shreds. White guy shoots black kid for wearing a hoodie; people are friggin donating money to him for legal costs
Advertisement
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2013, 11:36 PM   #27
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Wouldn't this guy be on some type of do not fly list? I don't think he is flying back to China.
he just needs to get to a different state or even over to vancouver at most
hell if his parents really do have money they can just get a passport at the embassy with a different name
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #28
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Not condoning what he probably did - its terrible that someone had to die - but how is this type of accident causing death any different than any other 'speeding and causing death accident'? I love how people are overly critical only because his family was wealthy enough to pay the 2 million bail.

I fail to see what money and class have to do with this situation when nobody even knows the guy except through the article. The usage of the term "money can't buy class" is really just an expression of moral superiority that people enjoy saying to feel better about themselves. It's the same kind of sentiment when families like the Rockefellars tell themselves that their better than the Gateses because although they have less money they have the 'history' behind them.

Does being granted bail automatically make someone not remorseful for what they did? can it be said with close to 100% certainty? what's wrong with being bailed out? its called due process, a fundamental principle of the legal system and lots of people are released on a lot lower bail amounts although if it was set that high I'd imagine there was a proportional degree of risk but not enough to revoke it. There's also a set of considerations for the judge to determine. Unless he actually flees the country, I'll withhold severely critical judgement.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 03-10-2013 at 12:06 AM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #29
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
Did you smoke a bowl before writing this?
You usually don't post shit that makes you sound like an etard...
I was sober maybe thats the issue
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
C350... not C63

But as with what drunkrussian said, our reaction would be propriety to his ethnicity and his monetary status isn't it.... Aside from that, I find it absurd that he is able to be bailed out with just 2M after KILLING a person and heavily injuring outhers
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #31
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
life has the price of whatever you can negotiate the deal at. some lives are worth less than others.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #32
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
You don't need a license to get insurance in BC. I don't think you need one to by a car either.
When I got my car, the dealership didnt give me keys until I talked to the insurance lady... maybe smaller/shady dealership dont require you to have a license?
Old 03-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #33
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,381 Times in 3,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
When I got my car, the dealership didnt give me keys until I talked to the insurance lady... maybe smaller/shady dealership dont require you to have a license?
You can get insurance without a drivers license.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #34
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,381 Times in 3,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
he just needs to get to a different state or even over to vancouver at most
hell if his parents really do have money they can just get a passport at the embassy with a different name
The US is not that stupid neither is China.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #35
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
well yeah they won't let you drive the car out of there without INSURANCE. but you don't need a license to get insurance. you're thinking insurance = license which is not true.

anyway i don't even see what all the hate for this guy is about. just cause his mom posted 2m bail? why does that automatically make you think he has no class or remorse?

i feel like if a rich american went to china and killed some girls with a car and posted bail, none of you would have this reaction lol.

posting bail does not mean someone will flee the country. they could, for sure, but until then, why don't you guys withhold your judgemental nature?

and as far as a 'slimy POS' i mean.. do you honestly think he did it with the intent to kill someone? no, he probably wanted to show off to the girls in his car, rip it a little, but 70mph is what, like 110 km/h? it's fast and speeding for sure but not something crazy like say, 5 supercars ripping it down 200+ down highway 99.

at the end of the day, the guy made a mistake, turned out into a fatal one, i'm sure he regrets going that fast and being reckless, but in the end it's still an ACCIDENT. so i don't think 'slimy POS' is appropriate in this situation. that kind of term would be reserved for someone who maybe cut up and ate some little girls or something.

man. the reactions that people on RS have when someone rich makes a mistake or commits a crime..
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #36
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
C350... not C63

But as with what drunkrussian said, our reaction would be propriety to his ethnicity and his monetary status isn't it.... Aside from that, I find it absurd that he is able to be bailed out with just 2M after KILLING a person and heavily injuring outhers
You realize that actual murderers get out on bail while waiting for trial if they have the money, right? Hell.. you've likely walked by a murderer in Vancouver and never knew it.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #37
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
at the end of the day, the guy made a mistake, turned out into a fatal one, i'm sure he regrets going that fast and being reckless, but in the end it's still an ACCIDENT. so i don't think 'slimy POS' is appropriate in this situation. that kind of term would be reserved for someone who maybe cut up and ate some little girls or something.
When you go above the speed limit. You are breaking the law.
When you don't have a valid drivers license with you. You are breaking the law.
When you go through a stop sign. You are breaking the law.

Anyone with common sense knows when you do all three of those at the same time, you are breaking the law. If you don't know this, surrender your license now.

When you knowingly break the law, and cause an accident that results in a death. You ARE a slimy POS. You are pressing your luck when you speed through a stop sign.

The sad part is you care more about the guy driving then the person who died. Her family is going to be haunted by this accident for the rest of their lives. It doesn't matter if he is rich, Asian, driving a Mercedes. He killed someone. Period. Good intentions wont bring her back.
VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #38
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Thats my point he also has to see a probation officer on a regular basis.

You don't need a license to get insurance in BC. I don't think you need one to by a car either.
There are many people who are the registered owner of a car with no valid DL. The primary driver will be the holder of a valid DL. Even in BC you can technically drive around with an international licence, but the onus is on the driver to prove that the licence is valid, and not fake. It is brutal. ICBC doesn't give a crap about anything except money. Visitors to BC are allowed to use their international licence for up to 6 months, and 3 months for immigrants.

IMO, all International drivers should need to take the learner's exam, which is offered in different languages. At this this way, they are forced to KNOW the traffic laws in BC.

Last edited by Spidey; 03-10-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #39
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D View Post
When you go above the speed limit. You are breaking the law.
When you don't have a valid drivers license with you. You are breaking the law.
When you go through a stop sign. You are breaking the law.

Anyone with common sense knows when you do all three of those at the same time, you are breaking the law. If you don't know this, surrender your license now.

When you knowingly break the law, and cause an accident that results in a death. You ARE a slimy POS. You are pressing your luck when you speed through a stop sign.

The sad part is you care more about the guy driving then the person who died. Her family is going to be haunted by this accident for the rest of their lives. It doesn't matter if he is rich, Asian, driving a Mercedes. He killed someone. Period. Good intentions wont bring her back.

not everyone who speeds through a stop sign knows theres a stop sign, jesus. He's a slimy POS only if he saw a stop sign and knowingly sped past it. Lots of accidents happen in metro vancouver due to people not noticing there is a stop sign...
89andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89andy View Post
not everyone who speeds through a stop sign knows theres a stop sign, jesus. He's a slimy POS only if he saw a stop sign and knowingly sped past it. Lots of accidents happen in metro vancouver due to people not noticing there is a stop sign...
Then maybe he should get his vision checked.
Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #41
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,132 Times in 7,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89andy View Post
He was driving 110 without a fucking license. This wreaks of some entitled rich kid who fully believes he's above the law. Thats slimy, and he's a piece of shit.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #42
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
He was driving 110 without a fucking license. This wreaks of some entitled rich kid who fully believes he's above the law. Thats slimy, and he's a piece of shit.
anyone driving without a licence, is basically saying "i don't give a shit", and thinks they are invincible.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #43

Even if she wouldn't have died she would have been brain dead. A life was ruined because he did not give a fuck about the law.
Woman broadsided in Des Moines crash now brain dead - Local - MyNorthwest.com

I think its pathetic some of you are making excuses for the driver.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #44
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
If people are so worry about him going back to China just have a few Cops follow him everywhere he goes, at his mom's expense of course and require him to report to a pokice station everyday.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #45
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
well yeah they won't let you drive the car out of there without INSURANCE. but you don't need a license to get insurance. you're thinking insurance = license which is not true.

anyway i don't even see what all the hate for this guy is about. just cause his mom posted 2m bail? why does that automatically make you think he has no class or remorse?

i feel like if a rich american went to china and killed some girls with a car and posted bail, none of you would have this reaction lol.

posting bail does not mean someone will flee the country. they could, for sure, but until then, why don't you guys withhold your judgemental nature?

and as far as a 'slimy POS' i mean.. do you honestly think he did it with the intent to kill someone? no, he probably wanted to show off to the girls in his car, rip it a little, but 70mph is what, like 110 km/h? it's fast and speeding for sure but not something crazy like say, 5 supercars ripping it down 200+ down highway 99.

man. the reactions that people on RS have when someone rich makes a mistake or commits a crime..

I disagree with you but you have a well reasoned argument so I respect that.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #46
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
I don't need to know his ethnic background or how much money he has to know this guy is a useless fuck who doesn't care about anyone but himself.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

- He claimed he was on the wrong street because his GPS told him to make a wrong turn (transferring blame to anyone/anything but himself).
- He had $500+ cash in his wallet and "requested several times that in lieu of being booked into jail, he requested to bail out right away" (suggests possible bribery or the desire to flee ASAP).
- He is also being held by immigration because he did not properly submit his paperwork to be in the country.
- Driving without a license.
- Blowing a stop sign at 3pm in the afternoon with excellent visibility.
- Driving 110 in a 50 zone (a residential street).

Here's where the accident occurred. He was likely driving south since he said he was coming from groceries and if he was driving north he would have been leaving the dead-end at the bottom of the picture. The second pic shows the street view of a driver heading south.

The stop sign looks pretty damn visible to me. And even if he claims he didn't see the stop sign, how could you miss the fact the street "jogs" and doesn't line up? You'd have to make a Mario Andretti lane change to stay in your lane after going through the intersection.

dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #47
I don't get it

I knew of a person who ran over some pedestrian and in order to avoid jail time for 15 years. He had to escape to China for his rest of his life, but I guess its worth it to avoid jail.

This guy should do the same especially this is the states, much more harsh when it comes to court shit.
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspirit View Post
I knew of a person who ran over some pedestrian and in order to avoid jail time for 15 years. He had to escape to China for his rest of his life, but I guess its worth it to avoid jail.

This guy should do the same especially this is the states, much more harsh when it comes to court shit.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #49
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:

Like other's have said, you seem to be missing the point. You blatantly assume that he is getting hate for getting bailed out.

There is nothing wrong with him getting bailed out. He has probably already been roughed up in county jail for the last 3 months.

The problem comes when he:
- knowingly purchased a vehicle without a valid license
- went 70mph in a 30mph zone
- ran a stop sign
- tried to bribe officers to be released
- killed another person and injured others

Quote:
This argument is incredibly retarded.

Did he intend to kill somebody? Most likely not.
Did he intentionally speed? Most definitely

This is not the same as driving down highway 1 at 110 km/h when the posted is 100 km/h. This is 70 mp/h in a 30 mp/h ZONE.

That's about equivalent to going down a 50 km/h street at 115+km/h. Do you ever drive down Kingsway at 115 km/h, kill someone and go "hey, at least it wasn't something crazy like 5 supercars ripping it down 200+ down highway 99" derp.

Quote:
Buddy, your reasons are so illogical. It's almost as if you're outright defending the guy through reverse-racism/moneyism.

You ever hear people complain that people are overly nice to blacks or overweight people or any category that might not be politically correct?? It's where in a concentrated effort to not be seen as ignorant or not politically correct, people go out of their way to be incredibly nice and accommodating and politically correct to the individual.

In this case, you are going straight to his race/economic status and saying "oh man, he's rich an Asian, I better defend him otherwise I'll be seen as ignorant and a racist against Asians or against people who are rich."

There is no such thing. He is getting flak because he committed a crime, and while his economic status certainly contributed to that crime being easier to commit, it is NOT the basis of why he is being charged. No where did it say that his punishment was more severe or that he was treated differently because of his race/economic status. YOU are the one bringing that up and then turning it around and using it as a defense.

Quote:
Again, you bring up his economic status. Are you saying that because he's rich he should be given extra liberties?

Lastly, think about this situation. Let's say he ran the stop sign, let's say he did 70 mp/h in a 30 mp/h zone, and that he (god forbid) was driving without a valid license. At the end of it all, he didn't broadside a car. There was nobody in the intersection. He drives home and has his party with his girliefriends.

Do you REALLY think later that night he would have thought "man, that was a close call tonight. I should really be more mindful of how I'm driving. I wouldn't want to cause any accidents"

I will bet you my life savings that if he didn't cause an accident, he would be driving the same speed, the same way, with the same attitude until the day he dies.

Man. The reactions that people on RS have on other people when someone who actually commits a crime
frostycc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #50
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostycc View Post
Like other's have said, you seem to be missing the point. You blatantly assume that he is getting hate for getting bailed out.
well yeah, when you post a story with '2 million bail posted' right there in the title, of course i assume that you're mad cause he got bailed out. what do you mean, 'thoughts'? CLEARLY, you wanted everybody to start thinking 'yeah what a RICH piece of shit, he got bailed out even though bail was set at 2m, plus he killed someone!'.

Quote:
The problem comes when he:
- knowingly purchased a vehicle without a valid license
- went 70mph in a 30mph zone
- ran a stop sign
- tried to bribe officers to be released
- killed another person and injured others
that is true. i would never argue that he wasn't wrong for doing these things.

Quote:
Did he intend to kill somebody? Most likely not.
Did he intentionally speed? Most definitely

This is not the same as driving down highway 1 at 110 km/h when the posted is 100 km/h. This is 70 mp/h in a 30 mp/h ZONE.

That's about equivalent to going down a 50 km/h street at 115+km/h. Do you ever drive down Kingsway at 115 km/h, kill someone and go "hey, at least it wasn't something crazy like 5 supercars ripping it down 200+ down highway 99" derp.
i never said it was okay. also maybe i'm missing something, but i don't see anywhere in the article that states the kind of traffic conditions at the time of the accident. by the way he was actually going 60 instead of 70. i would say it's a fairly significant difference. which would of course shed a little more light on the circumstances of the accident.

Quote:
Buddy, your reasons are so illogical. It's almost as if you're outright defending the guy through reverse-racism/moneyism.
YOU are the one bringing that up and then turning it around and using it as a defense.
like i said above, YOU were the one who brought his economic status into this story first. you made the bail a key part of this story when you posted it.

and if you want to say that wasn't your intention, then you should maybe try and word your topics better, because clearly i'm not the only one who thinks you're trying to bait people into hating rich asian kids (which is, by the way, not a rare occurrence at ALL on these forums).

Quote:
I will bet you my life savings that if he didn't cause an accident, he would be driving the same speed, the same way, with the same attitude until the day he dies.

Man. The reactions that people on RS have on other people when someone who actually commits a crime
hmm.. yes he might have. but i don't see why we're discussing that.

just to clarify- i am NOT defending his actions. i am questioning the fact of exactly why it seems like the fact that his mom could post the 2m is a significant fact at all, when it seems like just another news story of reckless driving to me.

yes you're right, his economic status should have NOTHING to do with this article, and that's what i'm TRYING to tell you.

i think drunkrussian summed up my thoughts exactly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
Hope he gets punished and it's sad, but i feel like if he wasnt chinese and rich this thread wouldn't exist
ALSO:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D View Post
The sad part is you care more about the guy driving then the person who died
??? why do you assume that?
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote