REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Getting pulled over without drivers license on you (https://www.revscene.net/forums/681570-getting-pulled-over-without-drivers-license-you.html)

The_AK 03-11-2013 10:35 AM

Getting pulled over without drivers license on you

Always thought about this, what would happen if you were to get pulled over and you don't have your license on you. Say for whatever reason you forgot your wallet at home. You DO actually have a license but you're unable to present it at that very moment. And what if you remember your drivers license number?

mb_ 03-11-2013 10:42 AM

You get a ticket for failing to provide a license
Posted via RS Mobile

Quicksilver 03-11-2013 10:47 AM

depends on the cop and the circumstances. You can get a ticket for failure to provide DL, as well as have your car impounded. However, sometimes if you're nice, and you know the DL #, your address, birthdate and the expiry date on your DL, they can run a check to see if it's valid, and give you a warning.

BrRsn 03-11-2013 12:22 PM

I got a $81 ticket for failure to produce driver's license lol

Be honest and cop won't throw the book at you (because they can, i.e. impoundment/towing)

Spidey 03-11-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quicksilver (Post 8182044)
depends on the cop and the circumstances. You can get a ticket for failure to provide DL, as well as have your car impounded. However, sometimes if you're nice, and you know the DL #, your address, birthdate and the expiry date on your DL, they can run a check to see if it's valid, and give you a warning.

A VI for failing to produce when you indeed have a valid DL is pretty extreme. All the PO has to do is run your name and it will show whether you do have a valid DL. That is, if the PO is satisfied that you are who you say you are.

bluejays 03-11-2013 12:47 PM

I'd say it depends on the cop, a friend of mine got into an accident and his wallet went flying and he couldn't find it so the cop gave him a failure to produce ticket

bcedhk 03-11-2013 01:01 PM

i got the $81 ticket. I had my DL # memorized and had my other ID's to prove it, but still didnt work :okay:

gars 03-11-2013 01:20 PM

It depends on the cop - and how suspicious they are. I've heard of stories from Cops talking about drivers who drive while suspended - they would grab info from their sibling/friend - and pretend to be them when they are pulled over.

I would assume that having your DL# memorized would help the cop to identify you, but may not save you from a "fail to produce DL" ticket.

Spidey 03-11-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddy89 (Post 8182144)
i got the $81 ticket. I had my DL # memorized and had my other ID's to prove it, but still didnt work :okay:

the ticket isn't for not having a DL. it is for not physically having your DL so the PO can examine it. If you were driving while unlicenced, you're opening up another can of worms.

Nlkko 03-11-2013 01:55 PM

"Failure to provide DL".

If you have a secondary ID like the BCID, it will speed up the process tremendously. They will verify current address and birthdate.

greendb7 03-11-2013 02:14 PM

I always thought you had 24 hours to produce it at if pulled over without it?

ninjatune 03-11-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greendb7 (Post 8182190)
I always thought you had 24 hours to produce it at if pulled over without it?

Not in BC. Sec 33(1) MVA $81 Failure to produce DL or Registration papers.

Nice people don't actually get written...

jackmeister 03-11-2013 03:43 PM

would keeping a colour photocopy of my license in my car with my address scrubbed out (for security reasons) be any better in any circumstances?

I've had times where i left my wallet at home while driving to a friend's house and had to go back to get it.

The_AK 03-11-2013 03:56 PM

I keep a photo of it on my phone + have it memorized just in case

Spidey 03-11-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackmeister (Post 8182256)
would keeping a colour photocopy of my license in my car with my address scrubbed out (for security reasons) be any better in any circumstances?

I've had times where i left my wallet at home while driving to a friend's house and had to go back to get it.

I know sometimes people will forget their wallet at home on the odd occasion, but if you're at the point where you need a photocopy of your licence in your car, because you constantly forget your wallet at home.... maybe you need to umm.. stop forgetting!

zulutango 03-11-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 8182128)
A VI for failing to produce when you indeed have a valid DL is pretty extreme. All the PO has to do is run your name and it will show whether you do have a valid DL. That is, if the PO is satisfied that you are who you say you are.

As someone who had wasted countless hours on personation cases where someone used another's name, I used to almost always issue VTs for fail to produce. Family members, former room mates and close friends have all screwed their buddies by getting them a VT for what the driver actually did. I started taking pictures to attach to my copy of the VT and you would not be surprised how many people suddenly remembered the correct name when the camera appeared, followed with a warning about criminal charges for a traffic ticket if they were lying.

The_AK 03-15-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8182415)
As someone who had wasted countless hours on personation cases where someone used another's name, I used to almost always issue VTs for fail to produce. Family members, former room mates and close friends have all screwed their buddies by getting them a VT for what the driver actually did. I started taking pictures to attach to my copy of the VT and you would not be surprised how many people suddenly remembered the correct name when the camera appeared, followed with a warning about criminal charges for a traffic ticket if they were lying.

Why would it make a difference if its a photograph, photocopy or an actual copy of the license? You have all the necessary information to look the person up.

sho_bc 03-15-2013 04:04 PM

Because we can't see photos linked to a drivers licence in our computer. Not hard to doctor up a drivers licence, make a photocopy/take a photo of the fake thing and present it as real. When we have the real one in-hand, we can confirm its authenticity and that it belongs to the person who handed it to us.

zulutango 03-15-2013 08:39 PM

We can also see altered DLs that are used to get into clubs while underage. Yes I seized them. Turning an 8 into a 3 is not that hard on a photocopy...easy to spot on a real DL..which is swiped on the card reader in the Police Car....another way to confirm it is real.

stewie 03-16-2013 09:45 AM

For my motorcycle insurance they give me 1 piece of paper the size of a license, but it has just the bare minimum on it incase I do get pulled over, but it has the insurance stamp on the back to "make it legit".

Can't they do that with a paper version of an ID just so I can store it in my glove box of my truck along with insurance papers?

Worst case, would I be able to go to icbc and say I lost my dl...get a new duplicate one and just keep it in my glove box?
Posted via RS Mobile

Soundy 03-16-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quicksilver (Post 8182044)

This is so true. I got stopped in a roadcheck just outside Kelowna once, in my work van with a cracked windshield. A few days before, I'd put in for a criminal record check and so had to pull out my license for the clerk at the cop shop to photocopy... then put it back in a coat pocket instead of my wallet, and forgot it there.

Fortunately the cop who stopped me appreciated the irony of it... took my SIN number instead to look me up, let me go with just a box 3 and 15 days to get the windshield fixed.

zulutango 06-27-2013 06:07 AM

Kelowna eh?? Was that more than 12 months ago??? I could maybe make a phone call...........:fullofwin:
Criminal record eh....the only one I can think of is anything sung by "The Beaver"....

Soundy 06-27-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8269496)
Criminal record eh....the only one I can think of is anything sung by "The Beaver"....

stewie 06-27-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8182415)

say I went out one night, kept the wallet at home, just took a money clip with my id. I lose my DL that night and get pulled over the day after. in that event that I were to not have my DL, yet I had the rest of my wallet..i know my DL id number, give all the right information, and show a firearms license and the other 15 random licenses/cards with my name and address and photo on them with the same information to prove im not lying...any leniency there?

Berzerker 06-27-2013 08:04 AM

I was stopped at a license check driving my 5 ton and I had forgot my wallet in my bowling bag. Gave the officer my license number and birth date and he came back after checking it out and told me to drive safe and be sure to remember it next time. It all comes down to the particular officer that pulled you over just like most other tickets. Most officers aren't inherently "assholes" I've received a lot of tickets in my day but also been let off a fair amount as well.

Berz out.
Posted via RS Mobile