REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Can't open dudley combination lock... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/681692-cant-open-dudley-combination-lock.html)

Ferra 03-14-2013 08:10 AM

Can't open dudley combination lock...

I have been using this dudely combo lock for my locker room..
yesterday I tried to open it for more than 20 mins but it just wouldn't open. (i am sure i have the right combination, since I put it down on a piece of paper and also saved it on my phone)

I don't use this lock very often, but I do notice often I had to go "over" the actual combination a bit to get it open...(e.g. if the last code is 54, usually I have to go pass it to 56-57 in order to get it open)
Also, it had been getting harder and harder to open over the years...usually it takes 2-3 tries..

But yesterday I tried 50+ times to get it to open, going exactly as the code, going pass the code slightly, going under the code slightly...etc
Is there anything else I can do or try beside getting it cut open?

Spoiler!

snails 03-14-2013 08:18 AM

do u remember how to use it? assumning this is the spin one, its

2 counter clockwise spins and land on first number

1 full clockwise spin then land on the next and

counterclockwise to the last number

EDIT: didnt see your spoiler... fml

Gumby 03-14-2013 08:19 AM

When's the last time you opened it?

Ferra 03-14-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 8184452)
When's the last time you opened it?

around 3 months ago?

edit: actually i forgot I used it just 2-3 weeks ago.

melloman 03-14-2013 08:27 AM

Might just be time to cut it off and get a new lock.. Even if you open it, do you really want this hassle to happen again? :badpokerface:

MG1 03-14-2013 08:29 AM

I've had a Dudley, love the name, btw, "DUD" since high school. That's what 45 years ago? It still works to this day. Totally worn out, but I still remember the combination. Nothing more embarrassing at school than not being able to open a fricken lock.

Anyway, it could be you wrote down the wrong number. Damn, your avatar.......... no wAnder you can't focus, LOL. I'd be dyslexic, too.

All kidding aside, just get a pair of bolt cutters and be done with it. I'm assuming it is your lock and not one that belongs to a school or institution. If it does belong to a school, chances are they will have the combo on file - match the serial number on lock.

EDIT: Sometimes, if you pull on the lock, you can feel the tumblers (for lack of a better word) "kick" in.

heleu 03-14-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8184458)
Might just be time to cut it off and get a new lock.. Even if you open it, do you really want this hassle to happen again? :badpokerface:

+1. It's a $5 lock. Where is this lockerroom? In your building? In a gym? Chances are, the maintenance person has bolt cutters and can do it for you.

gdoh 03-14-2013 09:21 AM

google how to open it?

entrax 03-14-2013 09:29 AM

there usually is a database for these, i remember in high school we had to keep the same lock/locker from one year to the next and i forgot it after one summer. went to the office and they asked for the engraved numbers on the bottom of the locks and they were able to give me the combo...looked like a big ass binder...

but for the trouble i'd just get it cut...

fliptuner 03-14-2013 09:50 AM

I'm in the same boat as MG1. I've been using the same Dudley combo lock for +20 years and it still works perfectly. Matter of fact, it's been used outside for the last 10 years, in the elements. Everytime I open it I have to turn it upside down and drain all the water out. In the summer I spray a bunch of WD40 in there.

Anyways, sounds like it's time for you to get a new lock. Buck it off, spend the $5 and enjoy not getting frustrated evertime you go to open your locker.

kunoman1 03-14-2013 09:52 AM

What worked for me in high school is I would jiggle the lock a little after each number and shake up and down hard after the last number in the combination, worked every time
Posted via RS Mobile

Maybe you are trying the wrong locker, it has been 3 months after all

twitchyzero 03-14-2013 09:53 AM

was it one of the reinforced locks with guard around the "u-ring"?
i had one from high school that I used in college...some custodian tried to bolt cut it over the summer but obviously failed.

off topic but i did locker clean-up once in the Woodward basement at ubc...I found one with a Playboy mag from the late 80's...found many time capsules that day (Eaton's Centre catologue... and UBC Calendar from early 70's) :pokerface:

Ferra 03-14-2013 10:57 AM

it just one those combo lock you see in all the highschool locker
i am 100% positive I have a right code and locker...

I don't mind getting a new lock, but the management office said they don't have a bolt cutter (I doubt it....but whatever...)
and I don't want to go get a giant bolt cutter just for cutting this one lock...

Last time I cut the lock left by the previous owner, I had to use a rotary tools with cutting disc and it was a pita (took me almost 30 mins and then those disc would break and fly out and I was scared it would hit my face or neck... :fuckthatshit:
)

Phil@rise 03-14-2013 11:21 AM

sounds to me like its been consistently getting worst and worst as you used it and yu continued to use it lol. Cut it off and get a new one. I'm sure you must know someone with some bolt cutters to borrow or a hack saw

Yodamaster 03-14-2013 11:34 AM

Shim it if it doesn't have a top cover/guard, those locks are the easiest thing to break into, 100% false sense of security.

PJ 03-14-2013 11:50 AM

I have a bolt cutter if you wanna borrow it.

Or just buy one from Home Depot, use it, and return it. :troll: :lawl:

Manic! 03-14-2013 12:29 PM

maybe try spraying it with WD40.

Gee.Tee.Ar 03-14-2013 01:27 PM

Just hit it downwards really hard with a hammer. Tried it before and only took 1 try. These locks look a lot safer than they actually are.

noventa 03-14-2013 01:29 PM

sounds like a job for the locksmith my friend.

Glove 03-14-2013 01:54 PM

lol, you said dudley

Jas29 03-14-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gee.Tee.Ar (Post 8184646)
Just hit it downwards really hard with a hammer. Tried it before and only took 1 try. These locks look a lot safer than they actually are.

+1 to this forcing the lock downwards will break it they aren't that strong. You can also put a screwdriver and push it downwards if u don't want to be loud
Posted via RS Mobile

LP700-4 03-14-2013 05:51 PM

I believe every time you open it you are supposed to turn it 3 full circles before actually putting in your code?

Try the lockers closely beside you too. I had the same problem in HS just a couple months ago when i came back from winter break only to realize i was doing the combo on the locker next to mine.

AzNightmare 03-14-2013 06:13 PM

Don't know if this works, but I stumbled upon this just last week.
It's the first one he shows you at 0:15.
He did it on a non-Dudley lock though. A dial spinner instead of a pointer spinner.
Not sure if they are totally different mechanically.
Might as well give it a try.

Spoiler!

fashomormon 03-14-2013 06:16 PM

Try this. Clockwise 3 full rotations and land on the 1st number. Counter-clockwise past the 2nd number and keep going c-cw until you land on it again(2nd number). Go straight clockwise to the last number. Pull.

noventa 03-14-2013 06:52 PM

maybe try tossing a flashbang at it