REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 03-17-2013, 01:08 AM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Diamond Kote

Just picked up a 2007 Mazda 3. The previous owner had just had a Diamond Kote treatment put on it.

Can't find much on the net about it. Can you anyone give me any details/insight about Diamond Kote??
Advertisement
SkydiveDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,182 Times in 478 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/648506-diamond-kote.html
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

It should last 6 months or so. When it stops beading, pick up some wax or sealant and apply it yourself. The good news is, you're not the one that got soaked for the DC!
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Thanks for the info.

Ken is Opti Coat that much better?

Also I've been trying to get ahold of you to buy some car soap. Are you around today?
SkydiveDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Opti Coat is usually a lot more harder and thicker, it almost acts like a "second clear coat" on the car.

Generally speaking, Opti Coat's thickness is usually around 2 microns and sealants/wax are around 0.02 microns. It varies from product to product as well.

It's really hard to say if Opti Coat is better or sealants+wax are better, it really depends on what you are after.

If you want something that's more permanent and protection oriented, Opti Coat is definitely the way to go.

If you want something that provides just a little less protection and insane shine,depth, then sealants and wax is the way to go.

I prefer sealants and wax just because it gives enough protection and crazy shine. It can be removed easily as well, so I can re-apply every 4-6 months knowing that I will have a "fresh" layer of sealant and wax sitting on my car.

Hope this helps!
AYAutocare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydiveDan View Post
Thanks for the info.

Ken is Opti Coat that much better?

Also I've been trying to get ahold of you to buy some car soap. Are you around today?
Hey Dan. The above post pretty much covers it. If you want long lasting protection, Opti Coat has no equal. If you like to get out and putter, then waxes and sealants are the way to go. There are a few new products you can safely apply on top of Opti Coat now. Sorry I missed your call. I typically avoid my phone on Sundays. Shop is busy as hell right now Monday to Saturday. Give me a call tomorrow. We'll get together ASAP. Still mucking about with the MR2's?
Old 03-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911fanatic View Post
Hey Dan. The above post pretty much covers it. If you want long lasting protection, Opti Coat has no equal. If you like to get out and putter, then waxes and sealants are the way to go. There are a few new products you can safely apply on top of Opti Coat now. Sorry I missed your call. I typically avoid my phone on Sundays. Shop is busy as hell right now Monday to Saturday. Give me a call tomorrow. We'll get together ASAP. Still mucking about with the MR2's?
I'm looking to purchase the opticoat from you guys, any experience with it on headlights? I'm tired of polishing my headlights and I'm hoping it would be haze free for years to come
tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarobbt View Post
I'm looking to purchase the opticoat from you guys, any experience with it on headlights? I'm tired of polishing my headlights and I'm hoping it would be haze free for years to come
Optimum has a new lens coating coming out shortly and I would suggest waiting for it. The difference between it and Opti Coat is that OC has very little UV protection in it. It's job is to lock in the UV protection your factory clear coat possesses. The new lens coating is very high in UV protection because your headlights lose theirs over time or when they are sanded/polished. Applying it will restore the UV protection to them.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
I don't get it

What products can you top opticoat with?
ryugeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryugeeh View Post
What products can you top opticoat with?
In all honesty, the point of Opti Coat is NOT to have to ever put anything on your car. Most waxes and sealants will not bond to the Opti Coat and will come off within a few weeks. Having said that, we will have Sonax Polymer Net Shield in stock shortly. It was designed to top "coatings" and will give you the fantastic beading most guys like. Coatings by nature tend to sheet water off very well, but are not great for beading. It will be around $28 and comes in an aerosol tin.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #11
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911fanatic View Post
Optimum has a new lens coating coming out shortly and I would suggest waiting for it. The difference between it and Opti Coat is that OC has very little UV protection in it. It's job is to lock in the UV protection your factory clear coat possesses. The new lens coating is very high in UV protection because your headlights lose theirs over time or when they are sanded/polished. Applying it will restore the UV protection to them.
When will you guys be carrying it?

Searching online and it looks like it's still new and only available for pre-order
tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #12

I have some being shipped from the US this week. The trick for me will be finding time to get to Blaine to pick it up!