REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Places to take your grandparents? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/681801-places-take-your-grandparents.html)

TheKingdom2000 03-17-2013 08:41 AM

Places to take your grandparents?

I go to school in Toronto, so I'm only back home for a week or two at a time generally. One thing I do not do enough is see my grandparents. They only live 20mins away and I feel like a dick not going over to see them. This has become really apparent since i've moved away. My mom says they always ask about me. (I'll be back next week for about 10 days)

Anyway, I was just wondering what you guys do with your grandparents or if you have any ideas on some good places to take them. They are the traditional Chinese grandparents fyi. They are pretty old, both 85+, but they are still mobile. They can't run around, but they can move about without the risk of falling (though, I guess there is always a risk of that).

I usually just take them out for Dim sum or just chill at their place and just accompany them while they watch TV or i'll go out on a Mcdonalds run with my grandpa as he LOVES the fish filet and only eats it when I take him, which come to think of it was like two years ago.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

MeowMeow 03-17-2013 08:57 AM

weather is getting nicer, Why don't you take them to Stanley park? You can bring McDonald's or simple home made sandwich
I know your grandparents aren't tourists in this case, but when my grandparents came to Canada they absolutely loved Stanley park
Posted via RS Mobile

4444 03-17-2013 09:02 AM

Ask them what they want to do?

Not being Chinese, I don't know if that's a faux pas, but I'd at least try to get an idea of what kind of thing they'd want to do... Museums, gardens, some Chinese show/theatre - just know that 1 hr of doing stuff will probably tucker them out

BrRsn 03-17-2013 09:04 AM

Old people love big scenic grandeur views.

Cypress lookout with a bag full of fish filets!

Dragon-88 03-17-2013 09:46 AM

Challenge them to a game of MJ

SB7 03-17-2013 10:41 AM

Steveston Village, especially on a nice sunny day like today. You can grab frozen yogurt from Timothy's, or Fish&Chips at Pajos. Lots of nice places to walk around a tonnes of people walking their dogs. Plenty of benches to sit down as well if they get tired.

If you go earlier in the morning you can also pick up a nice fresh salmon and shrimps and prepare it for your grandparents later on.

Traum 03-17-2013 10:49 AM

For your grandparents, it's really more about the fact that you are spending time with them, that you show you care about them. What activity you are actually doing doesn't really matter all that much.

So take them out for dim sum, filet o fish, whatever, and spend the day having a walk and talk with them at the park if there is some nice weather. Then while you're back, be sure to spend at least some time chatting with them again everyday, instead of just hanging out with your buddies all the time.

TheKingdom2000 03-17-2013 11:30 AM

Steveston sounds like a great idea. I'm sure they'd like pajo's way more than the fish filet.

I've asked before, but they say the classic, "anything or it doesn't matter".

Thanks!!

duc_evo_sp 03-17-2013 11:34 AM

I'm going to say you should go the the revolving restaurant just for the view. The view is one in a million and they get a meal out of it.
Just my 2 cents.

4444 03-17-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx703 (Post 8186996)
Steveston sounds like a great idea. I'm sure they'd like pajo's way more than the fish filet.

I've asked before, but they say the classic, "anything or it doesn't matter".

Thanks!!

They say that bc it's true - as traum said, all they want is ur company and a nice chat

Grandparents love steveston

4444 03-17-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duc_evo_sp (Post 8186998)
I'm going to say you should go the the revolving restaurant just for the view. The view is one in a million and they get a meal out of it.
Just my 2 cents.

I don't think many 85 yr old grandparents want a stuffy pretentious restaurant for hours, I bet they'd rather go for tea and a chat

murd0c 03-17-2013 01:36 PM

Granville Island would be a perfect place to take them. Really you don't have to take them anywhere. Grandparents would be just as happy with you going over to their house and just talking to them and spending time together. Ask them about the past and they will start telling stories like grandparents do it will mean way more then going to a garden or out for a brunch.

Can you cook? cook them a nice dinner I know it would really catch them off guard and they would love it.

TheKingdom2000 03-17-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8187071)
Granville Island would be a perfect place to take them. Really you don't have to take them anywhere. Grandparents would be just as happy with you going over to their house and just talking to them and spending time together. Ask them about the past and they will start telling stories like grandparents do it will mean way more then going to a garden or out for a brunch.

Can you cook? cook them a nice dinner I know it would really catch them off guard and they would love it.

Not the greatest cook. But, i'm sure I can whip a small lunch for them no problem.

I can probably do this another day since i'm sure they'll love steveston. I don't think they have been there in years.

lilaznviper 03-17-2013 02:01 PM

I take them to dim sum for lunch and then play MJ with my grandparents for the afternoon and lose just for fun. Love the look on my grandparents faces when they win. since we play with real money, its like giving them spending cash since they won't take my money when i give them some.

mqin 03-17-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeowMeow (Post 8186914)
weather is getting nicer, Why don't you take them to Stanley park? You can bring McDonald's or simple home made sandwich
I know your grandparents aren't tourists in this case, but when my grandparents came to Canada they absolutely loved Stanley park
Posted via RS Mobile

This ^, my grandparents are about the same age and when they first came to visit they loved to visit Stanley park as well. not only that but I also took them to the aquarium, and they loved seeing the animals even more! btw my grandparents are traditional Chinese too.

?uestlove 03-17-2013 02:26 PM

old traditional chinese people LOVE strip clubs. do that!

Vansterdam 03-17-2013 02:49 PM

brandis or no5 orange

yolo

EmperorIS 03-17-2013 03:42 PM

Nitobe Memorial Garden @ UBC

Obsideon 03-17-2013 03:50 PM

I tried taking my grandparents to fine dining and they hated it lol, they constantly complain that it's "too dark to see what I'm eating" and they can't read the menus.

As other have mentioned they just prefer your company, and they always enjoy dim sum. (way cheaper too lol)

I would take them to Steveston, there's more stuff to see and do than Stanley Park.

Selanne_200 03-17-2013 04:12 PM

That is very true. Unfortunately for old ppl, they do realize they don't have a lot of time left so they treasure the time they spent with the ones they care about, it's not so much what they're doing. They've done it all in their lives, that having said, it's always good to put a lil thought into what you're doing with them. Ie scenic walk/drive throught stanley park or whatever, or just go on a nice long drive, record and watch some tv shows together with them, etc etc

fliptuner 03-17-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 8186916)
Ask them what they want to do?

Not being Chinese, I don't know if that's a faux pas, but I'd at least try to get an idea of what kind of thing they'd want to do... Museums, gardens, some Chinese show/theatre - just know that 1 hr of doing stuff will probably tucker them out

QFT.Of course anything you do with them will be fine but why not find out something they always wanted to do but never got around to it (within reason, of course). You might be surprised.

rsx 03-17-2013 06:51 PM

Though I don't believe in it, if your grandparents are buddhist, take them to the big richmond temple. I go on occasions during events purely for cultural reasons.

SoNaRWaVe 03-17-2013 07:21 PM

honestly, i think most grandparents are happy just to see you and chat with you. seeing as to how they always ask about you, just head on over with a fish filet and buy something for your grandmom too. surprise em. then just spend time catching up and ask them what they have been up to and what your adventures are.

the older generation always say don't waste your money and what not. so no need for like an elegant dinner. i think dim sum would suffice even though you think you do it everytime and it gets boring. it isn't boring for them.

EmperorIS 03-17-2013 07:27 PM

dimsum and buy them a new north face jacket to keep them warm

they love that shit

beproud 03-17-2013 07:51 PM

White spot! My grandparents love the monty mushroom burger=p
Posted via RS Mobile