REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Places to take your grandparents?

I go to school in Toronto, so I'm only back home for a week or two at a time generally. One thing I do not do enough is see my grandparents. They only live 20mins away and I feel like a dick not going over to see them. This has become really apparent since i've moved away. My mom says they always ask about me. (I'll be back next week for about 10 days)

Anyway, I was just wondering what you guys do with your grandparents or if you have any ideas on some good places to take them. They are the traditional Chinese grandparents fyi. They are pretty old, both 85+, but they are still mobile. They can't run around, but they can move about without the risk of falling (though, I guess there is always a risk of that).

I usually just take them out for Dim sum or just chill at their place and just accompany them while they watch TV or i'll go out on a Mcdonalds run with my grandpa as he LOVES the fish filet and only eats it when I take him, which come to think of it was like two years ago.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Advertisement
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
PRINCESS

weather is getting nicer, Why don't you take them to Stanley park? You can bring McDonald's or simple home made sandwich
I know your grandparents aren't tourists in this case, but when my grandparents came to Canada they absolutely loved Stanley park
Posted via RS Mobile
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Ask them what they want to do?

Not being Chinese, I don't know if that's a faux pas, but I'd at least try to get an idea of what kind of thing they'd want to do... Museums, gardens, some Chinese show/theatre - just know that 1 hr of doing stuff will probably tucker them out
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Old people love big scenic grandeur views.

Cypress lookout with a bag full of fish filets!
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Challenge them to a game of MJ

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
SB7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,543 Times in 464 Posts
Steveston Village, especially on a nice sunny day like today. You can grab frozen yogurt from Timothy's, or Fish&Chips at Pajos. Lots of nice places to walk around a tonnes of people walking their dogs. Plenty of benches to sit down as well if they get tired.

If you go earlier in the morning you can also pick up a nice fresh salmon and shrimps and prepare it for your grandparents later on.
SB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
For your grandparents, it's really more about the fact that you are spending time with them, that you show you care about them. What activity you are actually doing doesn't really matter all that much.

So take them out for dim sum, filet o fish, whatever, and spend the day having a walk and talk with them at the park if there is some nice weather. Then while you're back, be sure to spend at least some time chatting with them again everyday, instead of just hanging out with your buddies all the time.

Last edited by Traum; 03-17-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #8

Steveston sounds like a great idea. I'm sure they'd like pajo's way more than the fish filet.

I've asked before, but they say the classic, "anything or it doesn't matter".

Thanks!!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
Banned By Establishment

I'm going to say you should go the the revolving restaurant just for the view. The view is one in a million and they get a meal out of it.
Just my 2 cents.
duc_evo_sp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
Steveston sounds like a great idea. I'm sure they'd like pajo's way more than the fish filet.

I've asked before, but they say the classic, "anything or it doesn't matter".

Thanks!!
They say that bc it's true - as traum said, all they want is ur company and a nice chat

Grandparents love steveston
Old 03-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc_evo_sp View Post
I'm going to say you should go the the revolving restaurant just for the view. The view is one in a million and they get a meal out of it.
Just my 2 cents.
I don't think many 85 yr old grandparents want a stuffy pretentious restaurant for hours, I bet they'd rather go for tea and a chat
Old 03-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
Granville Island would be a perfect place to take them. Really you don't have to take them anywhere. Grandparents would be just as happy with you going over to their house and just talking to them and spending time together. Ask them about the past and they will start telling stories like grandparents do it will mean way more then going to a garden or out for a brunch.

Can you cook? cook them a nice dinner I know it would really catch them off guard and they would love it.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Granville Island would be a perfect place to take them. Really you don't have to take them anywhere. Grandparents would be just as happy with you going over to their house and just talking to them and spending time together. Ask them about the past and they will start telling stories like grandparents do it will mean way more then going to a garden or out for a brunch.

Can you cook? cook them a nice dinner I know it would really catch them off guard and they would love it.
Not the greatest cook. But, i'm sure I can whip a small lunch for them no problem.

I can probably do this another day since i'm sure they'll love steveston. I don't think they have been there in years.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
I take them to dim sum for lunch and then play MJ with my grandparents for the afternoon and lose just for fun. Love the look on my grandparents faces when they win. since we play with real money, its like giving them spending cash since they won't take my money when i give them some.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post
weather is getting nicer, Why don't you take them to Stanley park? You can bring McDonald's or simple home made sandwich
I know your grandparents aren't tourists in this case, but when my grandparents came to Canada they absolutely loved Stanley park
Posted via RS Mobile
This ^, my grandparents are about the same age and when they first came to visit they loved to visit Stanley park as well. not only that but I also took them to the aquarium, and they loved seeing the animals even more! btw my grandparents are traditional Chinese too.
mqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

old traditional chinese people LOVE strip clubs. do that!
[22-02, 21:43] ?uestlove i personally find it very attractive when women have stinky farts.
?uestlove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #17
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
brandis or no5 orange

yolo
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #18

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
Nitobe Memorial Garden @ UBC
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #19
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I tried taking my grandparents to fine dining and they hated it lol, they constantly complain that it's "too dark to see what I'm eating" and they can't read the menus.

As other have mentioned they just prefer your company, and they always enjoy dim sum. (way cheaper too lol)

I would take them to Steveston, there's more stuff to see and do than Stanley Park.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #20
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

That is very true. Unfortunately for old ppl, they do realize they don't have a lot of time left so they treasure the time they spent with the ones they care about, it's not so much what they're doing. They've done it all in their lives, that having said, it's always good to put a lil thought into what you're doing with them. Ie scenic walk/drive throught stanley park or whatever, or just go on a nice long drive, record and watch some tv shows together with them, etc etc
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #21
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
Ask them what they want to do?

Not being Chinese, I don't know if that's a faux pas, but I'd at least try to get an idea of what kind of thing they'd want to do... Museums, gardens, some Chinese show/theatre - just know that 1 hr of doing stuff will probably tucker them out
QFT.Of course anything you do with them will be fine but why not find out something they always wanted to do but never got around to it (within reason, of course). You might be surprised.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #22
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Though I don't believe in it, if your grandparents are buddhist, take them to the big richmond temple. I go on occasions during events purely for cultural reasons.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #23
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
honestly, i think most grandparents are happy just to see you and chat with you. seeing as to how they always ask about you, just head on over with a fish filet and buy something for your grandmom too. surprise em. then just spend time catching up and ask them what they have been up to and what your adventures are.

the older generation always say don't waste your money and what not. so no need for like an elegant dinner. i think dim sum would suffice even though you think you do it everytime and it gets boring. it isn't boring for them.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #24

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
dimsum and buy them a new north face jacket to keep them warm

they love that shit
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #25
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

White spot! My grandparents love the monty mushroom burger=p
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by beproud; 03-17-2013 at 09:52 PM.
beproud is offline   Reply With Quote