REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 5,617 Times in 2,304 Posts
Algae Fossils Embedded in Meteorite

Quote:
Scientists in the United Kingdom have announced that fragments of a meteorite that fell in Sri Lanka last December contain fossils that include biological properties.

According to NPR, the scientific team -- led by Chandra Wickramasinghe of the Buckingham Center for Astrobiology and Jamie Wallis of Cardiff University -- claims that scanning electron microscope (SEM) images reveal tiny fossilized forms of algae.

"This provides clear and convincing evidence that these obviously ancient remains of extinct marine algae found embedded in the Polonnaruwa meteorite are indigenous to the stones and not the result of post-arrival microbial contamination," they concluded in their study.
Algae Fossils Were Embedded In Sri Lanka Meteorite, According To Journal Of Cosmology Article

Bullshit? Real? The news does not seem to appear on many media outlets. I had to check that the date wasn't April 1st today.

Article on Gizmodo says it ain't so....and apparently the Journal isn't reputable.
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/03/sci...ils-they-dont/
Advertisement

Last edited by twitchyzero; 03-20-2013 at 07:15 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,356 Times in 1,206 Posts
Peer reviews pls

[14-01, 13:15] GLOW older the chicken, sweeter the stirfry
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!

Thanked 9,234 Times in 3,293 Posts
meh i suspect "upon further investigation contamination cannot be ruled out"

etc etc etc
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
WOAH...shut the music off...

Thanked 4,706 Times in 1,888 Posts
i'm gonna call it right now

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
Quote:
[04-06, 11:34]radiomanI'm doing happy hour with bj#3 today
[07-04, 10:27]radiomani need just the tip
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
I don't get it

Reasons why this paper is bunk:

-Chandra Wickramasingh co authored the paper. He's been "finding" extraterrestrial life years-he said that the red rain in Kerala consisted of particles of extraterrestrial origin (they were actually airborne spores from terrestrial algae). He also believes that the universe was intelligently designed. Basically, he's a fringe scientist.

-The paper in question referenced other papers, almost all of which involved Wickramasingh.

-The paper was published in the Journal of Cosmology, which isn't known for being reputable. It previously published a controversial study by a NASA engineer about fossilized bacteria from comets (which NASA distanced itself from). 'The journal dismissed the criticism as "a barrage of slanderous attacks" from "crackpots and charlatans", calling themselves "heroic" for resisting the "terrorists" whose actions they equated with the Inquisition.'

-Red rain was also referenced in this study, but the algae in red rain was photosynthetic, and if it was buried in the middle of this meteorite (where it's dark), would have died.

-The paper states that upon entry, the meteorite would have its porous volume filled with "water, volatile organics and possibly viable living cells."

-The paper has a persuasive and dismissive, almost unscientific tone. Just look at the final sentence: "The universe, not humans, must have the final say to declare what the world is really like."

Tl;dr: It's bogus
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,352 Times in 949 Posts
them aliens wants to test how smart we are.. then they will keep send us shit to deal it it.. next thing you know...

Old 03-21-2013, 02:05 AM   #7
Doesn't know that condom-depot.com has free shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden View Post
Reasons why this paper is bunk:

-Chandra Wickramasingh co authored the paper. He's been "finding" extraterrestrial life years-he said that the red rain in Kerala consisted of particles of extraterrestrial origin (they were actually airborne spores from terrestrial algae). He also believes that the universe was intelligently designed. Basically, he's a fringe scientist.

-The paper in question referenced other papers, almost all of which involved Wickramasingh.

-The paper was published in the Journal of Cosmology, which isn't known for being reputable. It previously published a controversial study by a NASA engineer about fossilized bacteria from comets (which NASA distanced itself from). 'The journal dismissed the criticism as "a barrage of slanderous attacks" from "crackpots and charlatans", calling themselves "heroic" for resisting the "terrorists" whose actions they equated with the Inquisition.'

-Red rain was also referenced in this study, but the algae in red rain was photosynthetic, and if it was buried in the middle of this meteorite (where it's dark), would have died.

-The paper states that upon entry, the meteorite would have its porous volume filled with "water, volatile organics and possibly viable living cells."

-The paper has a persuasive and dismissive, almost unscientific tone. Just look at the final sentence: "The universe, not humans, must have the final say to declare what the world is really like."

Tl;dr: It's bogus
what are you a astrophysicist?
doritos is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
I don't get it

If I were an astrophysicist, I would be too busy studying the mysteries of the universe to browse Revscene.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote