REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #76
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
We're never going to change the mindset of these people who have come to Surrey once or twice, have heard bad stuff from their friends, on the news or are just plain ignorant to think that any place can be better than where they reside or where they're comfortable.
I have some family in Surrey.. And I really want to believe that it's not as bad as people say it is. Believe me, I really do. Call me ignorant, but I just can't. Since my car got broken into the one time I was out there, in my head, that just reinforced the stereotype. Someone I know also just got jumped at a skytrain station last week too. But who knows. Maybe we were just unlucky.

There's a reason why the Surrey occurances are always on the news. Even if it was only 10% of it, that 10% in Surrey always seems to be worse than anywhere else.

Hopefully this will change in the near future.

Quote:
The only con about Surrey is that no good places are open late to hang out to eat, drink and shoot the shit, that's why we have to go to places like Vancouver and Richmond.
This was interesting to read... since all the pro-Surrey folks always say that "everything's in Surrey, we have no reason to go out to Vancouver."
Advertisement

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #77
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
The only con about Surrey is that no good places are open late to hang out to eat, drink and shoot the shit, that's why we have to go to places like Vancouver and Richmond.
!
I swear this is the only reason Boston Pizza stays in business....I personally think the food is sub-par, but its open until 2am. Growing up in North Delta\Surrey at some point, we'd always end up at BP.

And Denny's is 24\7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthony View Post
Clayton Heights is garbage.
I would TOTALLY disagree with this. I own a house there now...never had a problem with the neighbourhood or people within it.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #78
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
This was interesting to read... since all the pro-Surrey folks always say that "everything's in Surrey, we have no reason to go out to Vancouver."
different lifestyle maybe

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #79
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
I have some family in Surrey.. And I really want to believe that it's not as bad as people say it is. Believe me, I really do. Call me ignorant, but I just can't. Since my car got broken into the one time I was out there, in my head, that just reinforced the stereotype. Someone I know also just got jumped at a skytrain station last week too. But who knows. Maybe we were just unlucky.

There's a reason why the Surrey occurances are always on the news. Even if it was only 10% of it, that 10% in Surrey always seems to be worse than anywhere else.

Hopefully this will change in the near future.

During the day yes, everything is available. Once it's past 9PM, good luck
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
I swear this is the only reason Boston Pizza stays in business....I personally think the food is sub-par, but its open until 2am. Growing up in North Delta\Surrey at some point, we'd always end up at BP.

And Denny's is 24\7 .
Can only eat at those places so many times I want chinese, indian, vietnamese food
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #81
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
You must be really unlucky, I've lived here since 1989 and myself or any of my family members have never had there vehicle broken into or stolen. True story, for years I left my car parked outside my office in Surrey with the keys in the ignition, don't do it anymore but I did for a long time. Maybe I walk around with a halo around me that keeps the bad guys at bay, that or just jinxed myself and my shit is going to get stolen tonight.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 03-27-2013 at 08:31 AM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #82
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:

And Denny's is 24\7
That's so true.

In Langley/Aldergrove, it was BP/Denny's/Tim Horton's or we would seek out a person whose parents had acreage and have a fire. Because teens/early-twenties, copious amounts of alcohol, and a large fire are a good combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi
You must be really unlucky, I've lived here since 1989 and myself or any of my family members have never had there vehicle broken into or stolen. True story, for years I left my car parked outside my office in Surrey with the keys in the ignition, don't do it anymore but I did for a long time. Maybe I walk around with a halo around me that keeps the bad guys at bay, that or just jinxed myself and my shit is going to get stolen tonight.
I still do that occasionally
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #83
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthony View Post
Clayton Heights is garbage. Like someone above me said, the garage suites usually get rented out to crackheads for like $200 a month. I lived in the big white house on 192 & 72 my whole life, luckily we sold a year ago because that area is a zoo these days.

My street used to be a quiet 2 way street with a 4 way stop, now its 4 lanes wide with medians and stop lights. Ooh, and in order to widen the street the city took everybodies parking spots across the street. Parking is a huge issue because they made the streets too narrow, therefore only one side of the street has parking.

A friend of mine lives down the street in one of those small houses, his one neighbour had legit a foot of garbage in his backyard.

Not to mention Langley roads are way more congested now that they've added like 10,000 new residents. Overall, poor city planning, the only ones who benefitted from this were the developers.
Posted via RS Mobile
Meanwhile....all of you guys who are selling your property are cashing in at Clayton Heights because of this new development planning...
Old 03-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #84
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Can only eat at those places so many times I want chinese, indian, vietnamese food
This is SO true!! When I lived in North Delta, we' always end up going to Richmond for late night sushi.

I'm thinking we could make some pretty sweet money by opening a late night Indian, sushi, or vietnamese restaurant on Scott Road
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #85
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Safety is one thing, but lifestyle is another.

No matter how you slice it, you need a car to get around Surrey. To most people here who love their cars, this is not a problem and in fact a positive. However, if you want to grab some groceries, or maybe grab some takeout sushi, you have to jump in your car and drive. When you live in a more dense city such as Vancouver, you can actually leave the car at home and walk 10-20 minutes to pick up groceries.

I will definitely get failed for this, but you can definitely tell when people are from "out there" by how in shape they are. It's not that people living on the north side of the river are more wealthy and can afford expensive gym memberships: it's that we walk a bit more, and have better food options (instead of chain restaurants and Tim Hortons). I don't get as much house by living north of the Fraser, but I at least have better food options and I am not forced to drive everywhere to go anywhere. I save the pounds and perhaps a few years of being healthier and more productive.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #86
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post

I will definitely get failed for this, but you can definitely tell when people are from "out there" by how in shape they are. It's not that people living on the north side of the river are more wealthy and can afford expensive gym memberships: it's that we walk a bit more, and have better food options (instead of chain restaurants and Tim Hortons). I don't get as much house by living north of the Fraser, but I at least have better food options and I am not forced to drive everywhere to go anywhere. I save the pounds and perhaps a few years of being healthier and more productive.
Posted via RS Mobile
I disagree
although you do see more cyclist in Vancouver because of city planning.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #87

Quote:
This is SO true!! When I lived in North Delta, we' always end up going to Richmond for late night sushi.

I'm thinking we could make some pretty sweet money by opening a late night Indian, sushi, or vietnamese restaurant on Scott Road
Yup, if it's Sushi. I gotta go all the way to Richmond. Even those early morning/mid afternoon dim sum cravings
Old 03-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #88
Banned By Establishment

Somewhat relevant to this thread:

Surrey street known for crime gets cameras | Globalnews.ca

Yes, that area of Surrey is pretty harsh but it is nice to see the City being proactive in cleaning it up.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #89
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts

Last edited by vitaminG; 05-16-2013 at 05:43 PM.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2013, 02:25 AM   #90
2 Wheelin' Mod

+1 to vitaminG my friend lives by there his house has a sauna and a elevator in it and an actual theater room

that 1 road has always been a hot spot for doing stupid stuff always used to go down there on friday nights and hangout could be as loud as u wanted and nobody cared and got to see the train go by every so often was always fun
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:41 AM   #91
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
DUDE Best reasons listed right here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oHenry View Post
Pros:
Affordable Housing
Surrey is currently undergoing a phase of development
Lots of parks
Easier to spell than any other regional district in the GVRD
It rhymes with Curry
Streets are easy to navigate/locate
We just got newly issued disposal bins (They're really nice)
Liquor stores everywhere
Bigger than Vancouver
It's always interesting
Samosas (2 for $1)

Cons:
None
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:58 AM   #92
Need to Seek Professional Help

how is cedar hills?

then again, what do I know... i've only been here since 2000
/// E46 328i
AutozamAZ-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #93
I don't get it

I live in Surrey and I fucking hate it, I'm planning to move back to Vancouver as soon as possible.

The good:
I live at around 96th and 132nd, which is perfect. There's nearby access to both bridges, which is great because I'm always in Vancouver. I'd hate to live any more south or east. I also live near an elementary school and there are always kids playing outside after school and in the weekends so that kinda gives an extra sense of safety. But on the whole, I think the safety thing is a non-issue anyway. I think it's over-exaggerated by people who don't live in here. Just take reasonable precautions and you'll be fine. I've never witnessed a break in, robbery, beat down or anything of the sort. Oh and house prices are way more reasonable than in Vancouver - you can get a 4000 sq ft house for the same price as a 1700 sq ft house in Vancouver, and the one in Surrey would have been built in 2005 while the one in Vancouver would be 30 years old.

The bad:
The thing that stands out most is the atmosphere - in Vancouver there are people walking around, grocery shopping and whatever. It's so lively. In Surrey, you barely see anyone walking. It's so god damn gloomy. The blocks are so giant that you have to drive everywhere. The restaurants also suck and the nothing to do problem is so true. Seriously, there's noting to do. Oh and driving everywhere gets really tiring after a while, especially if it's 30mins one way.
hotshot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #94
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot1 View Post

The bad:
The thing that stands out most is the atmosphere - in Vancouver there are people walking around, grocery shopping and whatever. It's so lively. In Surrey, you barely see anyone walking. It's so god damn gloomy. The blocks are so giant that you have to drive everywhere. The restaurants also suck and the nothing to do problem is so true. Seriously, there's noting to do. Oh and driving everywhere gets really tiring after a while, especially if it's 30mins one way.
Yeah dude....its called the Suburbs. Nothing to do with it being "Surrey".
Old 03-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #95
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutozamAZ-3 View Post
how is cedar hills?
Um, Cedar Hills is OK.

Not the most ideal place in Surrey....although I have not seen the stats, I would think the median family income is lower than other areas. Housing is cheaper.

If you are looking at the core of Cedar Hills as being 128th and 96th, houses on the north side tend to be a little nicer...whereas on the south side, maybe not so much. There are some lower income complexes on the south side. The weird thing is, Surrey has been transforming so much in the last 10 years....but this area has seemed to stay the exact same.

That area is close to bridges and main roads so there are a lot of buses in the area....so, it can be an easy commute.

Personally, I would maybe choose a different area of Surrey to live.

Last edited by dinosaur; 03-29-2013 at 08:07 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #96
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
People walk, but there are less doing so within your periphery because the population density is lower.

Plenty of things to do, but they're not the same things as Vancouver. People congregate at one another's homes in the suburbs; you don't need to visit a restaurant to talk, eat, drink, play, or adventure with friends. In my early twenties, my friends lived in Abbotsford, Langley, and Surrey. I still was out 5-6 nights a week, often at a friends place drinking, cooking dinner for each other, playing cards, playing board games, watching movies, arguing about politics. There are no fewer things to do in the suburbs, just fewer venues to do things.

I've rarely experienced a less gloomy or more lively place than a suburb cul-de-sac on a sunny afternoon.

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-29-2013 at 07:48 AM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #97
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I've been living in fleetwood since the fourth grade lol fuckin love it here wouldn't want to leave. generally safer then other areas of surrey. I feel it's right in the middle of surrey so every other direction is going somewhere different. Newton and Whalley are the heaty areas though, more junkies and kids in gangster gear around there.
Posted via RS Mobile
j604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #98
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Yeah dude....its called the Suburbs. Nothing to do with it being "Surrey".
There are crappy suburbs like Surrey, and then there are more "agreeable" suburbs like Burnaby, Richmond, West Van, North Van with many/most of the amenities that Vancouver has. World of a difference. I would consider living in many of the nicer suburbs, but Surrey, hell no. You couldn't pay me enough to live there. Life is short, why live in a crappy neighbourhood when you can work a little harder/smarter and live in the neighbourhood you want (unless of course, if Surrey is your first choice).
THORISHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #99
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Rather live in Calgary or Edmonton than Surrey!
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #100
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THORISHERE View Post
There are crappy suburbs like Surrey, and then there are more "agreeable" suburbs like Burnaby, Richmond, West Van, North Van with many/most of the amenities that Vancouver has. World of a difference. I would consider living in many of the nicer suburbs, but Surrey, hell no. You couldn't pay me enough to live there. Life is short, why live in a crappy neighbourhood when you can work a little harder/smarter and live in the neighbourhood you want (unless of course, if Surrey is your first choice).
What makes Surrey's neighbourhoods "crappy"?
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: